** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

NAPS COMPETITION - Rules Amendment

I think we should have a vote on whether we vote on rule changes ...

?

To debate them is for the most part healthy. But then i think its the admin decision as ultimately they have to enforce these rules.

How would a vote work anyway? 1 member 1 vote although on paper would seem reasonable but takes no account of contribution? How can someone like me who pretty much does the competitions only - all be it i always back my selections as they arent just to win the competitions,  get the same voting power as say @The Equaliser or @Zilzalian and many others who post daily with info / tips to help all members

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

This isn’t a democracy, think of @MCLARKEas a reasonably benign dictator who watches over all our antics with a wry smile on his face.

Too true Harry !

I will review all the comments on here and then make my final decision on the 31st August with implementation for the 1st September.

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

Sorry but I think you are wrong.  What is the point in Michael @MCLARKE PROPOSING as he did above when NO ONE is allowed to vote on it?

The point is that if anybody replies with a good reason as to why the rule should not be amended then I will consider it and if appropriate not change the rule or alter the amendment.

Already I have changed the amendment because of comments that have been made on here.

1 hour ago, Quartu SE said:

There seems to be some confusion between tipping a horse to score points for the competition and betting on said horse,nothing anywhere to say a bet has to be placed,never has been so no idea why anyone is talking about screenshots of bets as opposed to oddschecker?

The issue is that with international racing the odds are often not shown on oddschecker.

27 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

The point is that if anybody replies with a good reason as to why the rule should not be amended then I will consider it and if appropriate not change the rule or alter the amendment.

Already I have changed the amendment because of comments that have been made on here.

Well, OK but all you are doing is listening to a select few.  Sounds like dim-ocrasy to me rather than democracy.  I think I would rather you just go ahead and change the rules as you feel fit without any discussion if that's your attitude.  In the words of Arnie "Do It" 

2 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Sorry but I think you are wrong.  What is the point in Michael @MCLARKE PROPOSING as he did above when NO ONE is allowed to vote on it?  This is just common sense.  Please don't ask me to re-read what you have just said; once is enough.  IMO members will feel more like being part of the PL community if they know that they have a say in what is going on around them.  You don't know how many members would or would not take part in a vote.  The Forum has many members who choose not to post up regularly but that doesn't mean to say that they would not take part in a vote on rule changes.

I would also like to see a new rule introduced that gives a number for example 5+ complaints when the website goes down before we all have to choose another Nap because members say that they couldn't get an entry into the naps comp when many other members did manage to post a Nap on the day.

Power to the peeeepullllllllllll  ?

8 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

Thank God that we all do not want to be recreated in your image and be brainwashed into your way of thinking

There are a lot of varied opinions being expressed in this thread but you seem to have mastered the knack of being the only person to put forward ones that elicit no agreement whatsoever.

59 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

I think I would rather you just go ahead and change the rules as you feel fit without any discussion if that's your attitude.

Do let us know once you've made your mind up as we're all on tenterhooks. "If that's your attitude!" That's a remarkably condescending tone to adopt towards the person who takes all the time and effort to run the naps competitions and who had the courtesy to invite views from anyone who wished to express them. Not so much "one man, one vote" as "one man banging on tediously about having a vote". Good job it's not the Derby or you'd be off to Epsom to chuck yourself in front of the Queen's horse.

Sometimes it can be a noble thing to argue against everyone else in the room (when it has the vaguest purpose), sometimes it just answers the "who's the idiot in the room" question.

Was surprised when i logged off yesterday that there was nothing happening, no other comments and thought, case closed, no one gives a hoot. Now it seems to have sprung into life again.  Looks like decision has already been made though, so i guess if you didn't want a rule change...to late. 

16 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

There are a lot of varied opinions being expressed in this thread but you seem to have mastered the knack of being the only person to put forward ones that elicit no agreement whatsoever.

Do let us know once you've made your mind up as we're all on tenterhooks. "If that's your attitude!" That's a remarkably condescending tone to adopt towards the person who takes all the time and effort to run the naps competitions and who had the courtesy to invite views from anyone who wished to express them. Not so much "one man, one vote" as "one man banging on tediously about having a vote". Good job it's not the Derby or you'd be off to Epsom to chuck yourself in front of the Queen's horse.

Sometimes it can be a noble thing to argue against everyone else in the room (when it has the vaguest purpose), sometimes it just answers the "who's the idiot in the room" question.

All I was asking was for a vote by members on rule changes.  Not idiotic IMO

30 minutes ago, LeMale said:

Now it seems to have sprung into life again.  Looks like decision has already been made though, so i guess if you didn't want a rule change...to late. 

Basically a mixture of banter and the same discussion points being chased round in ever decreasing circles. Not too late, I'm sure if anyone can make a genuinely persuasive argument against any of the changes then it would be taken on board. 

Or the clamour for a ballot could gather momentum until @MCLARKE has no choice other than to explain yet again that there won't be one!

3 hours ago, waggy said:

I find UK and Irish racing hard enough as it is. I would use UK and Irish racing only.

Likewise , I post on the French & US threads but wouldn't actually now nap any of my fancies because being the biggest Luddite in the World I have no idea how to send / post a screenshot so therefore the new rules discriminate against some but it's a fun , free game so win lose or draw I'm not that fussed though bookie choices see Betfair & Paddy Power , they're the same & same odds , maybe add another different bookie whence the new rules kick it may be a good idea / alternative .

34 minutes ago, calva decoy said:

Likewise , I post on the French & US threads but wouldn't actually now nap any of my fancies because being the biggest Luddite in the World I have no idea how to send / post a screenshot so therefore the new rules discriminate against some but it's a fun , free game so win lose or draw I'm not that fussed though bookie choices see Betfair & Paddy Power , they're the same & same odds , maybe add another different bookie whence the new rules kick it may be a good idea / alternative .

I didn't know how to post/create a screenshot until this discusion started, in the past i just photographed it and attached it in the comment. so i do get and understand your point.

16 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

I didn't know how to post/create a screenshot until this discusion started, in the past i just photographed it and attached it in the comment. so i do get and understand your point.

Me too, I've done it before but ages ago and on a different laptop. Having just googled it though, it's easy enough to find out or remind oneself how to do it. As we have to be online to post our entries in the first place I'd say it stops short of being discriminatory and it's just a matter of whether or not the individual can be bothered with the faff. I couldn't but I'm very much a pin-sticking "just for the fun of it" participant in the naps comp and am fine with domestic fare.

If anyone ever wanted to post a nap that fell into this category I'd suggest asking on here stating what type of device you're using and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

Also, as the person who has introduced the rule, @MCLARKE has offered everyone who wants it one half hour IT sessions where he will come round to your house and show you how to do it. :unsure

To those with concerns or who are not fully up to speed with the problem. Let me add a little context (already explained elsewhere) this problem has only arisen about 5 times in the 3 years i have been on here, Unfortuitely for me it occured twice this month negating/disquaifying a 9/1 winner and a 28/1 winner. So it may not be as big a problem/issue that you may think just by looking at all these comments.