Racing Chat - Saturday July 3rd

Coral Eclipse Day at Sandown plus the Old Newton Cup at Haydock makes for an interesting 7 race terrestrial TV programme and here’s my weekly look at them.

Sandown 1.50

The Coral Charge is run over 5F of the straight track and as always ( it maybe not as prevalent as it once was) the far rail is the preferred draw. Lazuli has to shoulder a 3lb penalty for his win at Newbury over Came From The Dark and drying conditions will suit the former. Arecibo is officially the best horse  in the race and comes here on the back of an excellent 2nd in the Kings Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot to Oxted. Keep Busy is also a player although I’m not sure stall 1 will be in his favour as she tends to be a bit slow out if the gate. The value bet for me here is the 3 year old (who incidentally have won three of the last four runnings) Atalis Bay who will have to improve to beat these but looks the pace angle and from stall 4 can get over to the far rail and lead them all a merry dance under Andrea Atzeni who rode him to victory over course and distance in the Scurry Stakes last month. 

ATALIS BAY 1 point each way @ 8/1 William Hill 1/5 123

Haydock 205

A competitive renewal of the three year old only 1m 6F handicap. Mark Johnstone has won two of the four runnings and saddles three here, all of whom have chances of sorts. Bottom weight and one of my 20 to follow for the season Summers Knight has crept into the handicap and trained by handicap maestro Sir Mark Prescott is another one to keep an eye on going for a hat trick of victories although I did feel he didn’t over excite last time when winning at Bath in a much weaker contest. Likely favourite is Dhushan who’s stepping up a quarter of a mile following his success at Musselburgh last time. He must go well but looks scant value at around 3/1 in such an open race. The horse I like here is the Brian Ellison trained Tashkhan, who has done well since joining his current trainer from Emmet Mullins in April, winning here over 10F on soft ground in May then staying on well to finish 9th in the King George V Stakes at Royal Ascot with a couple of today’s rivals Soapy Stevens and Kondo Isami behind him. He looked as though this longer trip was what he needed and at a double figure price appeals as value with apprentice Harry Russell back in the saddle having won on him here in May. 

TASHKHAN 1 point each way @ 9/1 ¼ 123 

Sandown 225

The Coral Challenge is a competitive one mile handicap which sees last years victor Montatham back to defend his title off of a 9lb higher mark. He’s well berthed in stall 4 but his young jockey Adam Farragher has yet to ride a winner in public from 18 starts and is overlooked for that reason alone. Hugo Palmer’s Acquitted is on my short list and from a favourable low draw under James Doyle should be in the mix. My bet here though is the John & Thady Gosden trained Magical Morning  who will be ridden by the wily Italian Frankie Dettori. He made his re-appearance in the Royal Hunt Cup under Dettori when finishing 8th of the 30 runners where he could be spotted going as well as anything on the near side (the race was won by Real World on the far side) two furlongs from home only for match fitness to take its toll and for him to weaken. Stall 11 is not surmountable for this gelded son of Muhaarar as he likes to race prominently and no doubt Dettori will have a plan o; how to get over and race prominently. 

MAGICAL MORNING 2 points each way @ 13/2 1/5th 1234

Haydock 240

Sometimes you don’t want to be tipping favourites and my first impression was that I wanted to take on the Sir Mark Prescott trained Alpinista but the more I studied the opposition I keep coming back to the favourite who I feel will be hard to beat in the Group 2 Lancashire Oaks run over 1m 4F. She’s the best in here at the weights and has been very consistent over the last twelve months and gamely won at Goodwood on her re-appearance. Three three year olds take her on here with Oaks runner up Mystery Angel  the best of that trio and may be the one to chase the favourite home. 

ALPINISTA 3 points win @ 7/4 Bet365 

Sandown 3.00

The Coral Distaff is a listed race run over 1m for 3 year old fillies only. The standout filly here is Statement who will take plenty of beating. Martyn Meade must still be on cloud nine following Lone Eagle’s close second at The Curragh last Saturday in the Irish Derby and his filly here who has shown plenty of form this season in finishing a short head second to Alcohol Free in the Fred Darling, 8th in the 1000 Guineas and 3rd last time out in the Group 3 Princess Elizabeth Stakes at Epsom. This represents a drop in class for this daughter of Lawman and she warrants a good bet. The opposition are all a much of a muchness to be honest with possibly Auria having a each way chance. 

STATEMENT 3 points win @ 9/4 Bet365

Haydock 315

The Old Newton Cup looks as open as ever and a maximum field of 17 will go to post for this £100,000 guaranteed handicap. Longsider has crept into the bottom of the handicap and looks interesting for the Sir Mark Prescott team who have some interesting runners at the Lancashire track today. He’s making his handicap debut but I don’t like his very wide draw of 17 which is never good here over this trip. My short list comprises of Alan King’s Midnights Legacy who is two from three at the track and arrives in fine form having seen off Soto Sizzler who re-opposes today at Epsom last time and Aaddeey who is a lightly raced 4 year old trained by Simon and Ed Crisford at Newmarket. An easy winner at his local track in May he got bogged down in the heavy ground at Royal Ascot and is worth given another chance with useful apprentice Mark Crehan taking over from James Doyle who has  a full book of rides at Sandown this afternoon. It’s an open contest but I have a slight preference for Aaddeey and he’s the each way bet here (don’t forget to shop around for those extra places).

AADDEEY 2 points each way @ 7/1 1/5th 12345 Boyles 

Sandown 3.35

This years Coral Eclipse is run over 10F of the Esher track and has attracted a disappointing turnout of only 4 horses. It’s hard to fancy the outsider of the four in El Drama who was miles behind St Marks Basilica in the French Derby last time. The ground is the important factor here as both Addeyb and St Marks Basilica would prefer softer ground. The latter comes here having won three Group 1’s including the French 2000 and Derby but all three of those were gained on soft/heavy ground and he has to prove himself at this level on a sounder surface against his elders for th Emirates time. Addeyb is a terrific horse who has not been out of the first two in his last 11 starts. He is officially the best horse in the race but it is well touted that he needs soft ground. John and Thady Gosden’s Mishriff is proven on all sorts of ground and comes here having won the Saudi Cup and Dubai Sheema Classic amassing the best part of ten million pounds for the two wins! It’s going to be an intriguing race but I just feel that unless the ground were to go very soft that Mishriff who’s been trained for this since Dubai and his trainer has won twice in the last three runnings with Roaring Lion and Enable may win. 

MISHRIFF 3 points win @ 6/4 Bet365

Lots of class racing today so I have two trixies today and some single bets

(A) 3.00 San Auria 9/2

(B) 3.35 San St Mark's Basilica 11/8

(C) 4.45 San Run To Freedom 2/1

One £1.50 win Trixie = £6 poss return of £113.80

(D) 1.15 San Saheq 9/2

(E) 2.05 Hd Dhushan 7/2

(F) 3.15 Hd Aaddeey 7/1

One £1 win Trixie = £4.00 = Poss return of £302.75

Singles:

3.20 Leic Typhoon Ten £1 win at 15/2

1.50 San Keep Busy £2 win at 6.2 = £10.42 if win

2.25 San Trais Fluors £2 win at 10.5 = £18.62

4.10 San Pivoine £2 win at 7.4 = £12.54

1.30 Hd Gabrial The Wire £1 win at 12/1

2.40 Hd Bharani Star £1 win at 18/1

3.15 Hd Win O' CLock (Jason Weaver's tip) £1 win at 16/1

4.25 Hd Danzeno £2 win at 6.2 = £10.19 if wins

Total stakes £22.00  If nothing else this should be an entertaining day for me

Escobar   2 25  san  1/2 pt win  19/1  betfair 

Resttorer  4 10  san     1/2  pt  win  17/1  betfair  

My  Frankel    3 15  hay   1/2  pt win  13/1  betfair  

Haggard   Lad    7 35   bells    1/2  pt  win   19/1   betfair

P/L   =  +  117 pt   

22 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Coral Eclipse Day at Sandown plus the Old Newton Cup at Haydock makes for an interesting 7 race terrestrial TV programme and here’s my weekly look at them.

Sandown 1.50

The Coral Charge is run over 5F of the straight track and as always ( it maybe not as prevalent as it once was) the far rail is the preferred draw. Lazuli has to shoulder a 3lb penalty for his win at Newbury over Came From The Dark and drying conditions will suit the former. Arecibo is officially the best horse  in the race and comes here on the back of an excellent 2nd in the Kings Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot to Oxted. Keep Busy is also a player although I’m not sure stall 1 will be in his favour as she tends to be a bit slow out if the gate. The value bet for me here is the 3 year old (who incidentally have won three of the last four runnings) Atalis Bay who will have to improve to beat these but looks the pace angle and from stall 4 can get over to the far rail and lead them all a merry dance under Andrea Atzeni who rode him to victory over course and distance in the Scurry Stakes last month. 

ATALIS BAY 1 point each way @ 8/1 William Hill 1/5 123

Haydock 205

A competitive renewal of the three year old only 1m 6F handicap. Mark Johnstone has won two of the four runnings and saddles three here, all of whom have chances of sorts. Bottom weight and one of my 20 to follow for the season Summers Knight has crept into the handicap and trained by handicap maestro Sir Mark Prescott is another one to keep an eye on going for a hat trick of victories although I did feel he didn’t over excite last time when winning at Bath in a much weaker contest. Likely favourite is Dhushan who’s stepping up a quarter of a mile following his success at Musselburgh last time. He must go well but looks scant value at around 3/1 in such an open race. The horse I like here is the Brian Ellison trained Tashkhan, who has done well since joining his current trainer from Emmet Mullins in April, winning here over 10F on soft ground in May then staying on well to finish 9th in the King George V Stakes at Royal Ascot with a couple of today’s rivals Soapy Stevens and Kondo Isami behind him. He looked as though this longer trip was what he needed and at a double figure price appeals as value with apprentice Harry Russell back in the saddle having won on him here in May. 

TASHKHAN 1 point each way @ 9/1 ¼ 123 

Sandown 225

The Coral Challenge is a competitive one mile handicap which sees last years victor Montatham back to defend his title off of a 9lb higher mark. He’s well berthed in stall 4 but his young jockey Adam Farragher has yet to ride a winner in public from 18 starts and is overlooked for that reason alone. Hugo Palmer’s Acquitted is on my short list and from a favourable low draw under James Doyle should be in the mix. My bet here though is the John & Thady Gosden trained Magical Morning  who will be ridden by the wily Italian Frankie Dettori. He made his re-appearance in the Royal Hunt Cup under Dettori when finishing 8th of the 30 runners where he could be spotted going as well as anything on the near side (the race was won by Real World on the far side) two furlongs from home only for match fitness to take its toll and for him to weaken. Stall 11 is not surmountable for this gelded son of Muhaarar as he likes to race prominently and no doubt Dettori will have a plan o; how to get over and race prominently. 

MAGICAL MORNING 2 points each way @ 13/2 1/5th 1234

Haydock 240

Sometimes you don’t want to be tipping favourites and my first impression was that I wanted to take on the Sir Mark Prescott trained Alpinista but the more I studied the opposition I keep coming back to the favourite who I feel will be hard to beat in the Group 2 Lancashire Oaks run over 1m 4F. She’s the best in here at the weights and has been very consistent over the last twelve months and gamely won at Goodwood on her re-appearance. Three three year olds take her on here with Oaks runner up Mystery Angel  the best of that trio and may be the one to chase the favourite home. 

ALPINISTA 3 points win @ 7/4 Bet365 

Sandown 3.00

The Coral Distaff is a listed race run over 1m for 3 year old fillies only. The standout filly here is Statement who will take plenty of beating. Martyn Meade must still be on cloud nine following Lone Eagle’s close second at The Curragh last Saturday in the Irish Derby and his filly here who has shown plenty of form this season in finishing a short head second to Alcohol Free in the Fred Darling, 8th in the 1000 Guineas and 3rd last time out in the Group 3 Princess Elizabeth Stakes at Epsom. This represents a drop in class for this daughter of Lawman and she warrants a good bet. The opposition are all a much of a muchness to be honest with possibly Auria having a each way chance. 

STATEMENT 3 points win @ 9/4 Bet365

Haydock 315

The Old Newton Cup looks as open as ever and a maximum field of 17 will go to post for this £100,000 guaranteed handicap. Longsider has crept into the bottom of the handicap and looks interesting for the Sir Mark Prescott team who have some interesting runners at the Lancashire track today. He’s making his handicap debut but I don’t like his very wide draw of 17 which is never good here over this trip. My short list comprises of Alan King’s Midnights Legacy who is two from three at the track and arrives in fine form having seen off Soto Sizzler who re-opposes today at Epsom last time and Aaddeey who is a lightly raced 4 year old trained by Simon and Ed Crisford at Newmarket. An easy winner at his local track in May he got bogged down in the heavy ground at Royal Ascot and is worth given another chance with useful apprentice Mark Crehan taking over from James Doyle who has  a full book of rides at Sandown this afternoon. It’s an open contest but I have a slight preference for Aaddeey and he’s the each way bet here (don’t forget to shop around for those extra places).

AADDEEY 2 points each way @ 7/1 1/5th 12345 Boyles 

Sandown 3.35

This years Coral Eclipse is run over 10F of the Esher track and has attracted a disappointing turnout of only 4 horses. It’s hard to fancy the outsider of the four in El Drama who was miles behind St Marks Basilica in the French Derby last time. The ground is the important factor here as both Addeyb and St Marks Basilica would prefer softer ground. The latter comes here having won three Group 1’s including the French 2000 and Derby but all three of those were gained on soft/heavy ground and he has to prove himself at this level on a sounder surface against his elders for th Emirates time. Addeyb is a terrific horse who has not been out of the first two in his last 11 starts. He is officially the best horse in the race but it is well touted that he needs soft ground. John and Thady Gosden’s Mishriff is proven on all sorts of ground and comes here having won the Saudi Cup and Dubai Sheema Classic amassing the best part of ten million pounds for the two wins! It’s going to be an intriguing race but I just feel that unless the ground were to go very soft that Mishriff who’s been trained for this since Dubai and his trainer has won twice in the last three runnings with Roaring Lion and Enable may win. 

MISHRIFF 3 points win @ 6/4 Bet365

A decent winning day - 3 winners and a NR from the 7 picks showing a profit of 26.89 points.

11 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Lots of class racing today so I have two trixies today and some single bets

(A) 3.00 San Auria 9/2

(B) 3.35 San St Mark's Basilica 11/8

(C) 4.45 San Run To Freedom 2/1

One £1.50 win Trixie = £6 poss return of £113.80

(D) 1.15 San Saheq 9/2

(E) 2.05 Hd Dhushan 7/2

(F) 3.15 Hd Aaddeey 7/1

One £1 win Trixie = £4.00 = Poss return of £302.75

Singles:

3.20 Leic Typhoon Ten £1 win at 15/2

1.50 San Keep Busy £2 win at 6.2 = £10.42 if win

2.25 San Trais Fluors £2 win at 10.5 = £18.62

4.10 San Pivoine £2 win at 7.4 = £12.54

1.30 Hd Gabrial The Wire £1 win at 12/1

2.40 Hd Bharani Star £1 win at 18/1

3.15 Hd Win O' CLock (Jason Weaver's tip) £1 win at 16/1

4.25 Hd Danzeno £2 win at 6.2 = £10.19 if wins

Total stakes £22.00  If nothing else this should be an entertaining day for me

RESULTS UPDATE

Bit of a choker that the 3rd leg of my Trixie failed and I only got paid out £18 for the win double instead of £113.80.  Danzeno also won for me but with so many non runners the return was neglible.  Anyway an overall profit of £1.16 is better than a loss.  My new balance is £735.72 (Bank £1056.22)

Two UK flat meetings and one over the jumps tomorrow.  Two class 3 and one class 1 at Chelmsford in which Tom Marquand is set to go off favourite.  I will have to look at class 4 events to make the numbers increase.

Only done a few horses,  1.50 Sand Came from the Dark 10/3, had a money back on Arecibo on same race. 

Montatham ran like a coo, was a free bet and Run to Freedom. 

Will take a look today, but probably sticking to Gulfstream tonight for a US Racenight. 

Edited by fd1972uk