** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

K-League Predictions > May 8th - 10th

kleagueodds.jpg

OK, so don't get too excited but the K-League is re-starting this weekend. Yes, South Korea has handled the coronavirus outbreak exceptionally well but it remains to be seen if this season will be carried out fully. For some reason, only 5 of the 6 scheduled games are showing up with odds but we'll keep an eye out. @harry_rag, @allyhibs, @four-leaf, @888888, @Xcout, and @Torque, you've all enjoyed the Belarus and Nicaragua leagues during this period. Will any of you be dipping your toes in the water of Korean football? :drums

49 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

kleagueodds.jpg

OK, so don't get too excited but the K-League is re-starting this weekend. Yes, South Korea has handled the coronavirus outbreak exceptionally well but it remains to be seen if this season will be carried out fully. For some reason, only 5 of the 6 scheduled games are showing up with odds but we'll keep an eye out. @harry_rag, @allyhibs, @four-leaf, @888888, @Xcout, and @Torque, you've all enjoyed the Belarus and Nicaragua leagues during this period. Will any of you be dipping your toes in the water of Korean football? :drums

I think I'll pass on the first round of K-league

I feel like a door-to-door salesman trying to sell these obscure leagues during these unique times! I'll do some digging this week and see what gems of information I can unearth on Korean football! Not sure getting battered on FIFA Seasons with Jeonbuk is quite the right kind of research needed!

Jeonbuk vs Suwon Bluewings

Well, look at this! Speak of the bloody devils. It's only Jeonbuk up first against Suwon Bluewings in an 11am BST kick-off on Friday morning live from the Jeonju World Cup Stadium. The home side will be looking to get off to the perfect start in their defence of the league title they secured last season versus a visiting team that are the reigning Korean FA Cup winners.

Jeonbuk won the league championship by the skin of their teeth last season after pipping second placed Ulsan by a single goal on virtue of goals scored. Managed by Jose Mourinho's former assistant manager, Jose Morais, the club has won 5 of the last 6 titles. Last season saw the creative genius of Moon Seon-min help lead the team to glory but he's now moved on to pastures new at Sangju Sangmu. Can they replace the ingenuity offered by last season's top assist maker in the league? Last season's top scorer Ricardo Lopes is also no longer at the club. It poses some big questions for the squad with some big boots to fill. It's a lot of responsibility on new signings Murilo Henrique and Lars Veldwijk.

Suwon Bluewings are certainly a bit of a threat for the hosts in this opening game. Canadian international Doneil Henry and last season's K-League golden boot winner Adam Taggart are just two of the high-profile faces at the club. Last season's cup win distracts from the fact the team only managed an 8th place league finish last season. Lee Lim-saeng will be quietly optimistic that his team can rock the boat in this season opener.

It's always tough to call the first game of the season but with Jeonbuk having dominated South Korean football for a number of years now it's easy to see why the bookies back them. Morais has repeatedly re-invented his teams with huge success. This season he'll need to do that once again. Suwon will demand a higher finish because surely they can't rely on a cup win again for continental qualification. I think the home side should edge this one though.

Jeonbuk to Win @ 1.70 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.81 with SportNation

Had pencilled this in for the season opener but was going to decide tomorrow. Having read an exchange on Twitter discussing the ref and teams I’ve been persuaded to get it done tonight. Put simply I think the odds are generous.

>4.5 cards at 2.25 & >5.5 at 3.9 with 888. Also a small bet on >2 cards each team at 11/2 Hills. All shorter elsewhere.

11 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Had pencilled this in for the season opener but was going to decide tomorrow. Having read an exchange on Twitter discussing the ref and teams I’ve been persuaded to get it done tonight. Put simply I think the odds are generous.

>4.5 cards at 2.25 & >5.5 at 3.9 with 888. Also a small bet on >2 cards each team at 11/2 Hills. All shorter elsewhere.

Nice one, Harry. Your input is always well-received. Let's see what happens. I forgot to say that former Cardiff midfielder Kim Bo-kyung is now playing for Jeonbuk so I'll be taking an extra keen interest in this one. Loved that guy when he played for us. Always felt he should have had more game time but not sure he completely settled in Wales.

Gwangju FC vs Seongnam FC

The opening game in the K-League delivered us a profit on both outcomes. It's been an interesting start to proceedings. The action continues here with this 11am BST kick-off today between Gwangju FC and Seongnam FC at the Gwangju World Cup Stadium. Can the top flight new boys get off to the perfect start at home or will they discover a harsh a reality?

Gwangju FC are playing their first season back in the elite league of South Korean football since 2017 when they suffered a disappointing relegation down to K-League 2. Park Jin-sub will look to get his team off to the best start possible on home turf and it's a cracking opportunity against a side they will feel they can beat. The team comes into this season having been unbeaten in 17 of their last 18 home league matches. Their promotion campaign was built on the foundation of a solid defence with the team only conceding 12 goals at home in the league last season.

Seongnam FC will be hoping to get their season off to a flyer. Kim Nam-il takes over a team that finished 9th last season to narrowly avoid relegation. Despite not having the best of league campaigns, it was the lack of a prolific goal scorer that held them back. Only Jeonbuk, Ulsan, and Daegu FC conceded less goals than the Magpies last season. The club is putting their faith in Croatian duo Igor Jovanovic and Tomislav Kis to add further stability to the back-line and potentially solve their goal scoring issues respectively.

Well, this is one of those games where you see how resilient both defences performed last season and it's hard to think that this will end in anything other than a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. I'm not sure either side would begrudge a point in this opening game. Gwangju FC will want to get off the mark in their first game back in the K-League and Seongnam FC will take a point on the road.

Draw @ 3.20 with Bet365

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.66 with 888Sport

Pohang Steelers vs Busan IPark

The final day of matches from the opening weekend of K-League games brings us the exciting clash between Pohang Steelers and Busan IPark with the two teams kicking off at 6am BST at the Pohang Steel Yard. If you want to set your alarm for this one then it's certain to be an intriguing game. I mean, how often does a game get played in an actual (probably not literally!) steel yard?

Pohang Steelers finished 4th last season and narrowly missed out on a place in the AFC Champions League on goal difference. Kim Gi-dong will be looking to see his team bounce back from that disappointment this season. Last season's top scorer Wanderson has left the club but the Steelers will be hoping for big things from his replacement Manuel Palacios.

Busan IPark are another one of the new boys to the K-League after their promotion from K-League 2 in 2nd place last season. Cho Deok-je is the man in charge of this campaign and his side will be sprinkled with some samba magic with all three foreign players selections being Brazilian. These come in the form of Gustavo Vintecinco, Romulo, and Jonatan Reis. It's a big challenge for this team to avoid relegation back to the second tier and their opening game could not have been much tougher.

One of the things newly promoted sides dread is an opening day away game against one of the division's big guns. That's exactly the task facing Busan here. Pohang Steelers are a mammoth proposition in their own back yard. I'm surprised the home side are available above Evens and for that reason I'm going to have to back them to get the opening game win here.

Pohang Steelers to Win @ 2.10 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.86 with Betfair