Monthly Nap Competition - Saturday July 30th

3.10 Goodwood: Beautiful Romance @ 18/1 VC

Minding might be vulnerable on the fast ground so I take a chance with the only four year old in the contest, Beautiful Romance. Disappointing in the Hardwick though there were excuses and the drop in trip might suit today, the better going will help definitely. Still open to improvement and could give Minding something to think about. 

Good 2.35 - Gold Faith - win at 11/1 bog bet365

Cl2 handicap over 12F for 3yo

I'm thinking of changing tack next month and looking at a few big field handicaps to try and get some bigger priced winners. So I'm having a practise run with this one

Needless to say this is very tricky with young horses who haven't raced many times, many of them fairly new to handicapping, many of them fairly new to 12 furlongs........so I guess the trick is to try and find one that might well be better than it has shown so far as it steps up in trip

My selection won a couple of races on the AW then fair scooted up in a 12F handicap at Newmarket, winning by over 2 lengths after being held up, travelling well and running away when asked.

I think todays race could be frantic with a lot of front runners and could well suit the hold up horses.

He's still lightly raced with just 5 career starts and although he's gone up 6lbs for that win he started life in handicaps off a fairly lowly mark and most of these are rising in the weights as you'd expect from a group of 3yo in a top handicap

Newmarket 4.35 - Above N Beyond 4/1 William Hill

This is probably quite a tight little contest with Windfast returning to form LTO, squats showing improved form over 7f behind Librisa Breeze and the potentially well handicapped Oh This Is Us in the field however given that there arent many runners in this it could become a tactical affair and in Above N Beyond we have the most likely front runner (Windfast may also try) and I think that will also be beneficial as there appears to be a real pace bias to front runners on the July course. He can be forgiven a poor run at Ascot LTO and with conditions to suit I expect the northern raider to run a big race.

Galway 4.25 : Famous Milly @ 9/2 bet365 win thanks

.Famous Milly....trained by Gavin Cromwell the 2yo looks thrown in on the back of her recent second at Down Royal 7f good when beaten by Dancing Waves . That form is going to work out really well and Famous Milly is going to be hard to beat from stall one with Rory Cleary in saddle

5.00 Galway - Sister Slew @ 14/1 SportingBet

Up against a winner earlier in the week and an unlucky loser but both have gone quite short in the betting. I think Sister Slew is overpriced at the current prices for a horse on the up who put in a personal best when winning last time. Been put up 8lbs for that and is 8lbs higher than when a close second in this last year but she has been improving recently and has a nice draw which is crucial at Galway.