Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July)

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) That was woeful from Tim, time to retire if thats the best he can produce now, US open is HUGE for him now, made the semis last year but cant see it this year. What a performance from Murray, looks like we might have something to cheer after all for the next few years when Henman goes :)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July)

That was woeful from Tim, time to retire if thats the best he can produce now, US open is HUGE for him now, made the semis last year but cant see it this year. What a performance from Murray, looks like we might have something to cheer after all for the next few years when Henman goes :)
LOL! At least you see the stuff Murray's made of now. ;)

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) whats funny? :\ Yeah Murrays doing well but lets not get carried yet, if he achieves half of what Tim has over the last 10 years it will be a great career. Quality comment from Henman though after reporters asked him if he should quit today......

I'd think about quitting if all of you who are ranked ninth in the world or below will quit with me
:rollin least he aint lost his sense of humour? What country are you from btw edtkh?;)

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) First thought for me for Friday is that Florian Mayer (2.3) looks very big to beat Juan Carlos Ferrero. Ferrero struggles to beat poor players on grass, so how he can be odds on against Mayer is beyond me. JJ is very good, but Fernando Gonzalez is no mug on grass. Could be worth backing the Chilean @ 3.1 and laying in running, as I don't see this being a one sided affair. Marat Safin is a very generous 1.24, and I don't really see how Feliciano Lopez has any chance of overcoming him.

whats funny? :\ Yeah Murrays doing well but lets not get carried yet, if he achieves half of what Tim has over the last 10 years it will be a great career. What country are you from btw edtkh?;)
The whole point about it is, looking strictly at their respective forms alone, it's not hard to see Murray's better than Henman(a pity no one offered 'Which Brit to progress furthest' at the start of the tourny I must add). Honestly, I think if people held Henman in such high esteem, it just underscores the sorry state of British tennis players(compared to the game's finest) - an even bigger irony when you consider someone of Murray's calibre doesn't get half the recognition his efforts deserve. I come from a part of the world which wouldn't consider Henman's 'achievements' anything worth taking note of :lol considering the tennis players we've produced down the years - from McEnroe to Agassi - but I'm not living in the States at the moment. ;)

First thought for me for Friday is that Florian Mayer (2.3) looks very big to beat Juan Carlos Ferrero. Ferrero struggles to beat poor players on grass, so how he can be odds on against Mayer is beyond me. JJ is very good, but Fernando Gonzalez is no mug on grass. Could be worth backing the Chilean @ 3.1 and laying in running, as I don't see this being a one sided affair. Marat Safin is a very generous 1.24, and I don't really see how Feliciano Lopez has any chance of overcoming him.
On first looks, nothing has caught my eye besides Safin and Jankovic but nothing's certain as yet... Might wait for in-running for the rest given the fact so many matches are odds-on affairs.

Honestly, I think if people held Henman in such high esteem, it just underscores the sorry state of British tennis players(compared to the game's finest) - an even bigger irony when you consider someone of Murray's calibre doesn't get half the recognition his efforts deserve.
Murray will get that recognition when if he gets into the worlds top 10.... and will be considered as good as Henman if he can stay there for 10 years ;)

Murray will get that recognition when if he gets into the worlds top 10.... and will be considered as good as Henman if he can stay there for 10 years ;)
I can certainly see him achieving more than Henman - provided success in the game isn't measured by the number of SF appearances in Slams :rollin - so long as he keeps progressing at the rate he is. Well, at least for the sake of the game, I hope he does - for starters, he's already achieved more than Henman when he was 18.

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Ok -this is not just a hype bet - but I'd checked out the draw at the beginning of the tournament, and placed a small bet on Gasquet to win the championship, to lay off later. Why? Well imo the only mad who could stand in his way of a semi was Stepanek, and now he's out. There's Nandy-Bandy, but I'm not rating him much this year, and I think as soon as he comes up against Gasquet, he'll lose. Point is, Murray now has the path open as well - little bet on him to win it? He faces Nalbandian next, then Gasquet (or Muller!) in the 4th, then probably Mirnyi or T.Johansson - both of whom he's got a good shot against. Then it's the semi where he can face Roddick or Grosjean (pobably the former) If he, or Gasquet, do reach the semi, their odds will be slashed - so I think there's a great chance for the lay. Opinions?

Ok -this is not just a hype bet - but I'd checked out the draw at the beginning of the tournament, and placed a small bet on Gasquet to win the championship, to lay off later. Why? Well imo the only mad who could stand in his way of a semi was Stepanek, and now he's out. There's Nandy-Bandy, but I'm not rating him much this year, and I think as soon as he comes up against Gasquet, he'll lose. Point is, Murray now has the path open as well - little bet on him to win it? He faces Nalbandian next, then Gasquet (or Muller!) in the 4th, then probably Mirnyi or T.Johansson - both of whom he's got a good shot against. Then it's the semi where he can face Roddick or Grosjean (pobably the former) If he, or Gasquet, do reach the semi, their odds will be slashed - so I think there's a great chance for the lay. Opinions?
I don't know how far Murray could go, really. This boy's ability is beyond question and will easily give a few in his quarter a good run for their money, but you never know how his nerves or lack of experience could hurt his chances when he's up against the more experienced players. Personally, I'd prefer to watch his progress without putting a dime on him so as to get a gauge of his progress which might give you a clue as to how he's likely to perform in future Slams. Like you said, I'd fancy his chances against any of the lot you mentioned until he meets Roddick(if all goes to plan) but having said that, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise should he get knocked out by any of those players, either. :tongue2

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Djokovic is playing some decent stuff finally...Nevertheless, it's been a pretty indifferent Day 4 then for me with a 2.1pts loss. Will be back with more tomorrow. ;) Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 135.85pts Profit/Loss : 35.85pts

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Pavel tb Johansson @4 4pts :( Kucera tb Nalbandian @5 4pts :( Popp tb Arthurs @2.37 20ts :D Malisse tb Coria @2.20 10 pts :( Mirnyi Djokovic @2.56 10pts :D Daniilidou Hantuchova @2.03 10pts :D Starting Bank 100pts Current Bank 177.19 Profit +77.19

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) With respect to those who don't value Tim Henman as a tennis player: The bottom line is he has been our best and most consistent player for the last 20/30 years. Every year we build him up (saying he will win wimbledon etc. etc. ) and then as soon as he gets beat, be it the semi, quarter or 2nd round!!! - we then say he is useless and over estimated as a player. He's a top 10 player and is now nearing the end of his career, he is a great ambassador for the game (although i was sure i heard him swear a few times today !!), he's done Britain proud in the way he plays and conducts himself. We should be thankful now, because as soon as he retires, we'll start complaining how we don't have anyone like him playing in the major tournaments. Murray has got potential in abundance, but thats all it is at the moment, its a lot harder actually realising it. Long live Tim and good luck to Andy !!! clap.gif

The whole point about it is, looking strictly at their respective forms alone, it's not hard to see Murray's better than Henman(a pity no one offered 'Which Brit to progress furthest' at the start of the tourny I must add). Honestly, I think if people held Henman in such high esteem, it just underscores the sorry state of British tennis players(compared to the game's finest) - an even bigger irony when you consider someone of Murray's calibre doesn't get half the recognition his efforts deserve. I come from a part of the world which wouldn't consider Henman's 'achievements' anything worth taking note of :lol considering the tennis players we've produced down the years - from McEnroe to Agassi - but I'm not living in the States at the moment. ;)
dont you nick most your good ones from greece? :tongue2

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) murrays definately more of a peoples person that tim, there seems to be something to him, and i love the way he plays, confidence in abundance. But look at this in perspective, henman is/was (whatever) britains best tennis player for donkeys years Evn

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) First,hello to everybody. My pick for tomorrow is match>j.johansson-f.gonzalez h-4.5 @ 2 (1.80). I didnt see anybody here betting in this way so i will explain what it means. It simply means that johansson want win with 5 games differnce.I have pick this for several reasons: 1-h2h johansson 46 64 75(indor carpet-stocholm)just 2 games difference and 3 breaks of serve. 2-form prewimbledon is pretty even both losing one grasscourt match .i dont think we should look in claycourt record. 3-in his two matches so far johansson break his opponents only 3 times ,and was breaked just two time by rusedski,give only 4 bp in two matches,gonzalez was also breaked just two times,giving 5 bp.They are losing only about 25% of points on their serve.From this i cant see more then 3 breaks of serve in match and gonzalez should cover hendikep easily. Second bett would be first set tiebreak but i have to see the odds and decide. This is it for first time.Ciao!

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Welcome to PL Borovnica :clap. I have placed two bet on Gonzalez too, as I dont know if I get around in the morning. Gonzalez @3 10 pts Hill Gonzalez @2 +1.5 set 10pts GB We know Gonzalez can beat anyone on his day. I watched last two sets of his game against Zib and he played well. Going back to Rusedski v JJ. I really dont know how he took one set of JJ, as his return of serve doesnt exist. Now, if serve goes to Rusedkis forehand he sends it to heaven. If serve goes to his backhand he can only slice it. He just cant hit the ball. This is going to be different story for JJ as Gonzalez has good return and he can turn a ball to a rocket. I rate his serve not any worse than Rusedski. If he can keep his unforced errors to minimum he should easy outgun JJ. I was going to place 20pts on Gonzo, but went for save option. If JJ wins 3-2 money back in the bank. Good Luck.

With respect to those who don't value Tim Henman as a tennis player: The bottom line is he has been our best and most consistent player for the last 20/30 years. Every year we build him up (saying he will win wimbledon etc. etc. ) and then as soon as he gets beat, be it the semi, quarter or 2nd round!!! - we then say he is useless and over estimated as a player. He's a top 10 player and is now nearing the end of his career, he is a great ambassador for the game (although i was sure i heard him swear a few times today !!), he's done Britain proud in the way he plays and conducts himself. We should be thankful now, because as soon as he retires, we'll start complaining how we don't have anyone like him playing in the major tournaments. Murray has got potential in abundance, but thats all it is at the moment, its a lot harder actually realising it. Long live Tim and good luck to Andy !!! clap.gif
No disrespect to Tim and I think he's perfectly entitled to feel he's had a good career, but if that's the standard by which a nation get excited about and are benchmarked against, that just tells a story in itself. :lol Put it this way, Volandri is Italy's number 1 player and does get his disproportionate share of support whenever he plays at home(as was the case in the Rome Masters), but quite whether the rest of the world shares the sense of optimism as the Italians do is quite another matter(and in case anyone decides to jump the gun, let me just clairfy by saying Volandri isn't at Henman's level just yet). We could go on saying he's been in the Top 10 for ages, but we all know just as well that tells just half the story - I don't think Gaudio or Thomas Johansson(both Grand Slam winners) will look back too much on a career wishing they'd rather had been in Henman's shoes... :rollin @ evtherev! But hey, at least a good majority of them were born here - unlike Britain's 2nd best player(and it's not Murray I'm talking about)...

Yes i m going with +4.5 gonzalez.I m not betting online and dont know who of online bookies has that in offer.Here in Croatia only one place have 4.5 all others have put 3.5.
Borovnica, that's a cracking bet IMO. Given Johansson isn't the greatest returner around, your bet is as good as won if Gonzalez takes a set and even if he doesn't, your bet still looks pretty safe as I can certainly see a tiebreak or two in this match. ;)

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Just thought I'd stick up a couple of bets for Day 5 now as I won't be hanging around later in the day... 20pts Safin-Jankovic (2.03 @ Ladbrokes) :( Safin's acquaintance with grass has been so well-documented down the years it's easy to forget here's someone who'd made the QF at Wimbledon back in 2001. To be fair, Safin is playing probably the best tennis on grass at the moment as his destruction of Srichaphan and Philippoussis would testify. Lopez has been woefully inconsistent but even at his best, I can't see him doing much to hurt Safin if the Russian reproduces the sort of form he showed in the first 2 rounds. Similarly, Myskina's looked a pale shadow of her former self and the only surprise, if any, is how long she's lasted at Wimbledon. Jankovic has shown what a good player she could be on this surface as her run at Birmingham showed and on that basis, I'd like to think there's massive value on her to beat the out-of-sorts Russian. 10pts Farina Elia-Davenport (2.33 @ Ladbrokes) :( Davenport should outclass Safina easily as the Russian doesn't exactly move too well on grass - not good enough to trouble Davenport anyway. I really like the look of Farina Elia to beat Likhovtseva as I'd like to think the Russian is a tad overrated. With the exception of a 4th Round appearance('96) and a QF appearance('02), Likhovtseva has done very little at Wimbledon down the years with exits in the 2nd Round in the last 2 years. Farina Elia, despite not having progressed beyond the 2nd Round prior to 2001, seems to have picked up her game on grass over the last 4 years with R32, R32, QF, R16 Wimbledon appearances from 2001-2004. For the record, Farina Elia leads Likhovtseva 5-2 on head-to-head with the Italian taking the only meeting between the pair on grass. 10pts LAY Kuznetsova 2-0 (1.77 @ Betfair) :D Kuznetsova is one of those who never gives you an easy time and is particularly prone to wobbling when the finishing line's in sight. To be honest, I thought her close-fought win over Mirza flattered the Indian upstart more than it accurately reflected her superiority over her opponent. I can certainly imagine Vaidisova giving her more of a game than Mirza did and should Kuznetsova wobble the way she did against Mirza, it would hardly surprise me should Vaidisova go on to beat her. 10pts LAY Dementieva 2-0 (1.98 @ Betfair) :( Dementieva's another one of those on the WTA tour who makes choking a second nature in her game. If her game against unfancied Klaschka is anything to go by, she could be in for another long day. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 135.85pts Profit/Loss : 35.85pts

Sampras or Federrer for me. Edtkh you are the master and I expect many folks follow your tips' date=' I certainly do. Did Sampras actually retire, or just do a Boyzone??[/quote'] What's it about Sampras or Federer for you? :eyes Don't quite get you there. As for Sampras, I'd like to think he quit the game on a high. :lol To be fair, I thought his injuries, below-par performances(by his standards) and having lost his dominance at Wimbledon had played on his mind throughout 2002(and that's probably what Agassi's going through now) and he probably decided to call it a day after capturing his last Slam by beating Agassi at the US Open. What a way to bow out... I'd liken it to how Mika Hakkinen bowed out from F1, really.

Sampras retiring was nothing like Hakkinen.:unsure . Pete retired at the top (on a high). Hakkinen certainly didn't. Not even close. PS keep up the tennis tips mate. Good work.:ok .
I get what you mean, mate - Hakkinen wasn't to F1 what Sampras was to tennis. ;) The only similarity there was the way they went out...

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Safin tb Lopez @1.25 40pts GB Very confident in Safin. Always says he hates grass, but he is showing master class already. For me he looks like title contender. Not much to say about Lopez. Two easy games in early rounds and journey ends today. Mayer tb Ferrero @2.1 10pts general Im going to oppose Ferrero again as he struggled in both games. Mayer shouldnt be underdog here. He reached 4th round last year and only his lack of consistency make him look to lose this game. Berdych tb Dent @3 5pts @2.75 general Possible upset here. Odds are big on Berdych. Double faults and unforced errors should be the key in this battle. I just cant miss this price :tongue2. Ancic tb Monfils @ 1.85 -5.5games 10pts GB One of the strongest players on grass against younger who has got plenty to learn. Monfils played well against Hrbaty, but I cant see him past Ancic. Jankovic Likhovtseva @2.56 10pts GB As Ed mentioned Myskina is running her luck. She should be out in the first round. I watched that game and she was awful. No chance for her at all against solid Jankovic. Likhovtseva is getting better with age and had some good results lately. She deserve to be a favourite against Farina. Starting Bank 100pts Current Bank 177.19 Profit +77.19

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) I fancy a nice looking treble today, which hopefully should play pretty safe, involving Safin, Ancic and big JJ. Safin against Lopez IMO will have no worries whatsoever, as long as he plays to even 50% of the standard he did in the first couple of rounds, whilst i always see Ancic as a palyer who can always threaten on this surface, and against Morfils i think he should come through with his grass court expereince at the top level quite comfotably. The more risky side to the bet is of course the JJ leg. I see him as a great grass court player, and obviously his serve is a huge weapon. Today in Gonzalez that will be matched, but as it was in the last round where he was in fact able to overcome Rusedski. I see the swede winning in 4. The treble pays 1.97 at gamebookers. picks Safin, Ancic, J Johansson (1.97) 7/10

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Hope nobody has alot of money on Safin. Doesn't look good for him, 2 down and losing 5-2 in the 3rd. Lopez has to hold to win the match. Disappointing from Safin but Lopez has showed real skill and he's been impressive

Re: Tennis : Wimbledon 2005 (20th June - 3rd July) Didn't lose much - but had him in an acc. that could have potentially have won me a little. Goes to show the funny world of tennis. All indicators pointing towards a Safin win yet he gets beaten in straight sets.