Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

Re: Poker Novice Questions There are 4 basic types of poker player. Loose-Passive Loose-Aggressive Tight-Passive Tight-Aggressive http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23034&highlight=type+player

This question is prompted by the ongoing discussion in the "Bad Play or Bad Luck" thread. Read the very short summary of the 4 basic types and (truthfully) choose which applies to you best. Tight Aggressive-These players will play very few hands. They recognize when they have the best hand and will make you pay. They are rarely lured into hands they shouldn’t be in, and they will make the most of pots they win. Tight Passive-These players are often called “rocks”. They play very few hands and when they do decide to play, they rarely bet or raise. They are content to sit back and wait for an absolute lock and will take whatever the pot will give them. Loose Aggressive Player-This player is in every pot and pushing, pushing, pushing with raise after raise. This style of play brings lots of excitement to a game, but also lots of chaos. The bad beat thread is full of these types. The Loose Passive Player-This player is in a lot of hands. Often called a “Calling Station” because he will call any bet, but is passive because he won’t raise or bet on his own.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions I'm very new to poker. I've only recently started to play on a regular(ish) basis the last month or two. At the moment, I only play with 'play' money, but one of my friends let me loose on a tourny using their money and I came third winning then some money. The problem I'm having at the moment, using 'play' money is that my choice of action can sometimes be poor, having a negative effect on any profits. So my question is basically what can I do to help me know I'm making the correct decision? I know about pot odds, implied pot odds, outs and discounted outs but you don't get very long (that is if you don't want to be booted from the table) to make a choice, so I end up playing on instict. When I ask this question, I'm talking about it specifcally applying to ring games. In tourny's I can usually make third of second fairly easily by playing TAG and waiting for the rest to go all in and lose. I'm gonna start reading a Matthew Hilger book my mate lent me, so maybe I'll also pick up some things in that. Hope you understand what I'm asking and thanks in advance.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hiya Clotty. First thing I'd say is, don't use the play money tables. These are (imo) only good to help you learn the rules of the game you're playing and to get used to the layout of the site that you are using. If you want to learn then freerolls are your next step. This post by Gotafancy? covers 'stages of development'. You seem to be at stage 2. This thread here explains my journey from novice, and how I managed to accrue the start of a bankroll as well as the start of my poker education. Now I have to stress that I really wouldn't recommend ring games to any novice poker player. I don't/can't play those yet, but that isn't my reason. I'll leave a ring game player to answer if you are definite that you want to play cash games. :ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions print screen takes a screen dump and saves an instant flash of your os' output to your gfx card and stores it in your ram, it doesnt record things being written directly to graphics memory like movies tho. try playing a film in media player then hitting print screen, all you get of the film is a black square.

Re: Poker Novice Questions hi everyone i'm sure this question will have been asked and answered somewhere on here already but i cant find it so here goes. I play lots of stt but yesterday i was playing the cash games 0.50/$1 on stanjames to get into the grand prix, however i kept checking my raked hands and it never went up. so Qu , how do you earn raked hands? thankyou

Re: Poker Novice Questions

Can anyone tell me what a reload bonus is?
a reload bonus is a deposit bonus on your next deposit into a poker site providing its not your first.
hi everyone i'm sure this question will have been asked and answered somewhere on here already but i cant find it so here goes. I play lots of stt but yesterday i was playing the cash games 0.50/$1 on stanjames to get into the grand prix' date=' however i kept checking my raked hands and it never went up. so Qu , how do you earn raked hands? thankyou[/quote'] raked hands are earned on standard ring game cash tables. they dont go up from stt buyins afaik

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hmmmm........ Lets see........ Tough one ....... the value "moves" ..... but I presume you want to play freerolls, but don't want more than 3 Poker rooms on your system..... Bet365 have a mega $5k every Saturday ..... however does get over 10,000 entrants..... Nordicbet have good large freerolls quite frequently (though inconsistently) Sporting Odds would be good, but for the Hungarians multi regging.... Betfred used to have really good value freerolls, but less so now it is more popular.... Oops - that's 4 ..... difficult to rank them ...... If you want to play frequently (up to twice a day) then I'd say add Maxim VC to the list...... have to mention the everpopular Blue Square (for the Bankroll Booster as well) When are you looking at playing(times/days?), how frequently and do you prefer a small chance of winning a huge prize or a big chance of winning a small prize? If you let us know, then I'll try and get down to 3 (and order them!!)

Re: Poker Novice Questions I basically want the option to play at least one freeroll a night. I'm not looking necessarily at making money from it, but more improving my overall poker game before I go into ring games. I supposed I'd prefer something with a realistic chance of success, but I'm more interested in being able to play a freeroll of two most evenings, so I want something quite frequent. Thanks for replying so fast.

i think he means freerolls without raked hand requirements
Everything I mentioned was with regards to non raked hands freerolls :ok Good start for you clotty may be the Blue Square Bankroll Booster at 7:45 every night :ok Haven't played it recently and understand it may now be turbo ........ Sporting Odds have the Safety Net at 7pm every night, I don't like it, but it is a regular tourney. Sporting Odds also frequently have other freerolls. The play is significantly spoiled by Hungarians Multi Regging (thus able to play double or quits!!). Other one to try is probably Betfred ..... though I haven't played freerolls there in a while......

Re: Poker Novice Questions Blue Square Bankroll Booster without a doubt is my freeroll of choice at the moment. That is run 7 days a week and entries are roughly in the 400's. Be careful though, if you think you can take the game that you play in a freeroll MTT to the cash table. I've been playing since Aug last year and I'm doing ok in MTT's, and I'm only now reconsidering my 'retirement' from ring games. I stopped playing cash tables about 3 months ago, and think I made the right decision at the time. As I said, I AM reconsidering this decision now, after showing that I can play at different levels of MTT's. As regards my 2nd and 3rd choices I would suggest any weekly qualifier freeroll, such as the current VC/Maxim, and any other special freeroll in the daily thread. Crazy poker, 32red, and Dream poker all have weekly/monthly exclusive freerolls that get significantly less entrants than the massive freerolls. Poker 4 Ever have a $400 freeroll every night.

Cheers' date=' I need a step up in class. Play money gets very boring when you average profits of over $3,000 an hour[/quote'] Play money is ONLY good for learning the rules of Hold em and the layout of a site (buttons, functions etc.). An 'apprenticeship' playing freerolls is definitely the bast way to learn, imo.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions At micro stakes cash games i know there are a lot of fish who will call just to see your hand, hence you have to play solid poker without any fancy bluffs. Could someone recommend me a list of starting hands and table positions I should use them in? I play poker on and off, but mainly in MTTs and freerolls, I watched Rounders a few days ago and it has me inspired to build up a bankroll from the bottom. Any help much appreciated. Cheers!

Originally Posted by Valiant23 You could try playing these suited hands only; AKs-10s, KQs-10s, QJs and Ax (call only a minimum raise-depending on blinds). If you hit the flop you will have a minimum of a reasonably strong pair, and if you're lucky you could be 1 card away (drawing) from either a straight, flush or even royal. Then you decide yourself how for you want to go, and how much you want to pay to stay in the pot. Kx, Qx, J10s, minimum call only (limp) and fold to any raise. If you hit on the flop play as above, but if not do not pay to go any further unless you are drawing to an open straight, and even then consider the cost. This is not ideal, but will help you discipline yourself, and eventually you'll start to lose faith in those Ax and Kx hands which hit only rarely, because even if you flop an A to give you a pair your kicker will lose you a lot of pots, even if you take some. This can be picked to pieces but just a starting point.:ok
Originally Posted by GotaFancy? coolhand - this may help you a little for starting hand selection - http://www.betfairpromo.com/holdorfold/holdorfold.html
IF you have a lot of patience and perseverence it IS possible to get a bankroll for absolutely nothing. See this thread; http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21979 and give us a shout if you need anything.