Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions Thanks for all answears. To clear it up sme i mean ALL hands at what hands do i raise and in what positions what do i call with and what do i fold if to many have raised ? I have tryed 10 person tables also but there is always a few callers that come along to the river there they have something better than me it dont matter if a raise my head of at the beginning with A A they come along and at river they take me out. For me it have worked a little better at 6 person table there i can nock out more people in the beginning or at the flop and then perhaps only have one or 2 caller the hole way with me and chanses that i win increase. Best Regards John

Re: Poker Novice Questions

I have tryed 10 person tables also but there is always a few callers that come along to the river there they have something better than me it dont matter if a raise my head of at the beginning with A A they come along and at river they take me out.
Hehe - welcome to the world of Poker!!!!! You need to understand here - AA is the best hand pre flop, BUT it is ONLY one pair, and on a 10 seat table, more often than not, one pair is not good enough to win. So whilst it is a great (the best) strating hand, it does not have a divine right to win!!!! To put some stats on that........ AA (widely considered the best starting hand) heads up against 23o (considered the worst starting hand heads Up) is ONLY 86% favourite to win. That means that the best hand pre flop against the worst hand, where both go to the river, will be turned over once every 6 or 7 hands. Now the probability is that your opponent doesn't have the worst hand, so the expectation would be to have your AA turned over more often than that if someone goes to the river with you!!! Noiw lets say you have AA and slow play them and are called to the river by 4 opponents with "random" hands!!! In this case, you are only a 55% favourite - that is, you are not much of a favourite (against the field) at all!!!! You will lose almost as often as you win!!!! So what does this tell you? Well, if you have AA, you are ahead!! So if others want to draw against you, you generally want to make them pay to draw!!!! Yes you want action, because AA IS a strong hand, but you need to bet enough that if someone chooses to call you, they are paying too much and making a mistake. Sometimes they will luck out and beat you!!! But in the long run, if you make them make bad bets, they will lose and you will win!!! Don't be tempted to slow play Aces (or other big starting hands)!!!! (except in very specific circumstances, maybe in early position early in a tournament with a lot of blinds in your stack!!!!) And to clarify a raise - you should raise between 3 and 5 times the big blind!!! Don't get tempted into the "shortcut" and just click the raise button (which gives you a minimum raise) - that won't make people fold, and if you are strong, your bet wont be big enough to make their mistake of calling you significant enough!!! The lower your bet, the higher the odds you are offering your opponents, and the worse hands they will be correct to call with!!!!

Re: Poker Novice Questions Er - best place is Punters Lounge!!! We list loads of freerolls :ok Have a browse through some of the threads Other than that - look at the promotions page of the web sites you have, or get on their mailing lists.....

Re: Poker Novice Questions HI guys some of you may now me from the others boards mainly ATR. I've been playing in the freeroll and small sst for some time and doing allright but its getting at bit boring. I think my game is still pretty basic but I do take great pleasure from it and i'm just looking for some help/advice that could maybe take me to the next level. I.E does anyone now about any decent tools like a odds calculator to tell you % chance of your hand or anything like that. Also would you suggest venturing Cash games yet or is that a bit cut-throat for a novice such as myself. Any advice would be gratefully recived.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Pokerstove is a free odds calculator :ok My view is that Cash Games are dangerous for a new player and you should play more STT and MTT tournaments first (and as you beat a level - not over 1 game, but over a period of time, move up a level!!!) However I know some people advocate beginners getting into cash games - quite simply because it will teach you discipline. If a begineer goes in loose aggressive - they will either learn the lesson quickly or lose their bankroll!!! If you are finding tournaments boring, then I think you may not find help with cash games - they are very much a grind compared to tournaments, a lot more static - the blinds don't come to get you..... Suggest you play high value added games too (as listed on PL) :ok Also - the PL league games are probably good for you - for the size of the buy in, you are getting to play against a higher standard player than you would usually do at that level - that will help...... They also have added value......

Pokerstove is a free odds calculator My view is that Cash Games are dangerous for a new player and you should play more STT and MTT tournaments first (and as you beat a level - not over 1 game, but over a period of time, move up a level!!!) However I know some people advocate beginners getting into cash games - quite simply because it will teach you discipline. If a begineer goes in loose aggressive - they will either learn the lesson quickly or lose their bankroll!!! If you are finding tournaments boring, then I think you may not find help with cash games - they are very much a grind compared to tournaments, a lot more static - the blinds don't come to get you..... Suggest you play high value added games too (as listed on PL) Also - the PL league games are probably good for you - for the size of the buy in, you are getting to play against a higher standard player than you would usually do at that level - that will help...... They also have added value......
Thanks for GAF very helpfull ,I think i'll give the cash games a swerve based on that advice fot the time being then. I have been thinking about the PL league games could you be give me some info on when they are and what network they are on and how get involved ect..... Thanks again Socky:ok

Thanks for GAF very helpfull ' date='I think i'll give the cash games a swerve based on that advice fot the time being then. I have been thinking about the PL league games could you be give me some info on when they are and what network they are on and how get involved ect..... Thanks again Socky:ok[/quote'] Best place to look for current news is the stickies on the Poker forum :ok We started a new league tonight at Betfred with a freeroll. There are 5 games remaining, being played on Thursday and Friday this week, then Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Next Week. The best 3 results count towards the final leaderboard. There will be 2 legs that are Omaha and 1 that is a turbo. The other 2 will be "conventional" (with 2000 chips starting stacks) Tomorrow night we have the final game in this months Sporting Odds League - so you won't do anything on the league table, but if you fancy a game (is $1+10c buy in - is not PL exclusive, but over half the field are usually PL members) The next new league to start will PROBABLY be at poker.co.uk, every monday night, from 3rd July. (TBC) There's a diary published every day (again a sticky in the Poker forum) which shows the games PL'rs are most likely to be tackling. We also sometimes get some friendly PL STT's going - likely in the next few days are Betfred Million Qualifiers - $3+30c buy in, or free with a token they give out if you play in their Saturday Match of the Day Tourney. Other one is at Royal Vegas - see this thread - http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30630 and http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30687 (as an example) Always loads of games going on!!! :ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions Is there a site or somthing like that, that provide all ste statitics like odds on back door flush if i dont hit anything on the flop with a hand like A K s what is the odds of hiting anything on river or turn and so on ? i would like somthing that answear all this staticalquestions and also if i have an A how high is the probability that atleast another one has one and more ? Best Regards John

Re: Poker Novice Questions Best way of doing this is to count your "outs" and then take the percentages from that............ So a flush draw has 9 outs - about 18% with one card to come and 36% with 2 cards to come...... If you do a google search on something like poker, odds and outs, you will find thousands of web sites that list outs and odds......

Re: Poker Novice Questions I'm thinking of getting back into poker. I've only ever really played home games and will be rusty after quite a long absence from the game. My question is what sites offer daily free rolls (or if not daily frequent free rolls) and how much is the total prize money? Also, do I need to deposit money into the account to qualify for freerolls, or can I enter with a balance of £0 (I'm just wondering because it possible I don't want to put any money in so I can only enter free rolls or enter non-free roll games with money I have won from free rolls)? Thanks, Clotty.

Re: Poker Novice Questions For freerolls - here are some ideas..... http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showpost.php?p=490202&postcount=11 Some freerolls require either raked hands or deposits, but a lot are completely free without the need to deposit (or other conditions). Best bet is to keep up to date with the poker forum - always seem to be good value freerolls running somewhere..... At the moment, Mansion are running Poker Dome freerolls (in conjunction with The Sun) - http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30772 There's a $20,000 freeroll starting at Holdempoker in 40 mins - with less than 600 entries so far (think it requires that you have deposited at some point - even if you deposit and withdraw....) - http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30852 Best bet is to keep up to date with the dialy diary - today's is here - http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30857

Re: Poker Novice Questions go here as well http://www.thehendonmob.com/pokercalc/index.html you can input specific cards and it updates PF, flop and turn read any good poker site as well Damo

Best way of doing this is to count your "outs" and then take the percentages from that............ So a flush draw has 9 outs - about 18% with one card to come and 36% with 2 cards to come...... If you do a google search on something like poker, odds and outs, you will find thousands of web sites that list outs and odds......

• 3 weeks later...

Best way of doing this is to count your "outs" and then take the percentages from that............ So a flush draw has 9 outs - about 18% with one card to come and 36% with 2 cards to come......
Just to elaborate (and im not sure if im even right myself here) thatwould be 2% per out with one card come (or each turn of the card) and 4% with two cards to come if you assuming you can somehow get the next two cards free?

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi everyone - seems a really friendly forum this. I've spent most of the afternoon trying to work out which poker site to sign up for - I'm on VC Poker at the moment and fancy adding one or two more sites to my options. I just can't decide. So maybe someone could help!? I want: Loads of STT's and MTTs. Maybe some gimmicky tournaments like special knock outs, 1 dollar things etc. Fun Tournaments Cheap buyins / lots of satellites (between $1 and $10 - I still want the chance of winning some cash - so we're not talking freerolls and 10c!) MTT's starting every few minutes. Also some software that maybe slows down the river and the turn cards to add to the excitement! I know that sounds really bizarre, but I play for fun really - rather than to seriously make money. I was in profit until recently! So in summary I'm looking for sites that really crank up the entertainment value of poker, rather than anything too serious! Thanks in advance

Re: Poker Novice Questions :welcome to the Lounge Sophie. We'll soon get you every poker site under the sun on your PC :P First off - recommend that you look at the daily diary regularly to see which sites feature the kind of MTT's your interested in - for promotions - Sporting Odds are good, I like some of the Betfred promos. Mansion are adding a lot of value at the moment. How about playing in some of the PL leagues for some fun friendly competition? Sporting Odds on Monday nights and Poker.co.uk on Wednesdays - sure to be others from time to time as well (recently had Virgin and Betfred leagues - we won't talk about the Goalpoker one though!!!)

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi sophie and :welcome to the lounge nakedpoker is quite gimmicky but I guess not you are not a bloke mansion is quite good for low level games and good value freerolls my faves are betfred and spinpalace at the moment but not really for fun games some good money SnG's on there

:welcome to the Lounge Sophie. We'll soon get you every poker site under the sun on your PC :P First off - recommend that you look at the daily diary regularly to see which sites feature the kind of MTT's your interested in - for promotions - Sporting Odds are good, I like some of the Betfred promos. Mansion are adding a lot of value at the moment. How about playing in some of the PL leagues for some fun friendly competition? Sporting Odds on Monday nights and Poker.co.uk on Wednesdays - sure to be others from time to time as well (recently had Virgin and Betfred leagues - we won't talk about the Goalpoker one though!!!)
:welcome Sophie. Hope you enjoy your stay here. GaF's scared of you already! You'll have more success playing our poker.co.uk league on Monday's and Sporting Odds on Wednesday's!

spinpalace at the moment
Yeah - spinpalace have a $10 + $1 MTT every Friday night that gets about 130 entrants and adds $2000 to the prize pool. Is broadcast on Pokernightlive (sky channel 843 or webcast) too, so a chance for fame ......

Re: Poker Novice Questions Thanks for the help so far - I didn't realise many sites were linked together. These TV tables look good - if I signed up with, say Bet 365, where your private games seem to be taking place - could I enter the Spin Palace TV Table MTT through Bet365, since they all seem to be linked together? How many of these MTT's are available to all players on this Prima network and how many are exclusive to individual site? Thanks again, Hopefully will join in a private game, you lot all seem very friendly!

Re: Poker Novice Questions Bet365 and Spinpalace are both on the Prima network. Private games set up on the Prima network can be accessed from any other site on the Prima Network. HOWEVER, the $2k added Friday game is Spin Palace exclusive, so cannot be accessed through Bet365. The majority of games are Network wide - however the high value added (per player) are usually site exclusive. You can usually identify the site exclusive ones as they show as a different colour in the lobby.

• 1 month later...

Just to elaborate (and im not sure if im even right myself here) thatwould be 2% per out with one card come (or each turn of the card) and 4% with two cards to come if you assuming you can somehow get the next two cards free?
Correct, after the flop count your outs and x them by 4 After the turn count your outs and x them by 2 Does not give you the precise odds, but a rough estimate for quick calculation. BTW Hi all, been lurking for a while (cool forum), I am a Tournament Director in B&M cardrooms, so feel free to ask any questions. I met Big Andy yesterday, sound fella!! And probably know a few of you from live cardrooms and other forums. Gotta start guessing who is who now:loon