Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

Re: Poker Novice Questions This may be a daft question but just need to check this with the computer experts. If I want to play in a comp is it ok to use a different computer other than the one I downloaded my software. For example if I am at my brother's on Saturday I can play in a tourney logged on as myself even though he has the same poker site. Will it be affected by an ISP i.d ? Sorry if this is nonesense - am not the best with computers :unsure

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions

Cheers GaF - its Goalpoker
Ok - don't know how alert they (absolute) are ...... but don't think there is anything wrong in doing it (so long as you are both not playing on the same table in the same competition - which it sounds like you're not planning on doing)

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi Dave I mostly play at home, but quite frequently also play at other houses, when we're travelling, or visiting, or even when I want to regsiter for a tourny but I'm at work, I will download the software, log in, register for the tourny and then log back out again - I have definitely done with with Goal Poker!!!! I've not had one problem and I must have downloaded a good 9 or 10 sites onto various computers over the recent months. I always wipe them off again after the tourny though. So go ahead, as long as you didn't start multi-regging, they won't mind at all. I have never multi-regged and have not had one problem downloading and logging on on with different computer. I hope this helps. Jar

Re: Poker Novice Questions This could be a daft question and probably obvious but i dont know the answer--- I am a mediocre player with accounts at about 6 or 7 sites, on every one of these sites there is something that says the likes of " Disconnect Protects = 1, or 2---or something similar. Now I realise it is in the case that I lose connection, but what does it do, how does it help me?? Dont :lol , does the number count down or what? gl.:wall

Re: Poker Novice Questions I am interested in learning texas hold em Since this game is a game of skill and probability it would be a good idea to list the odds of the chance of getting a winning hand from the cards dealt ie if i was dealt a pair what would the odds of this being turned into two pairs or full house four of a kind My dillemma at the moment is holding two cards of the same suit and wondering if this is worth the risk of trying for a flush or two consecutive cards and trying for the straight Im sure the proffessional always take this into account when betting.

Re: Poker Novice Questions If you want a quick way of calculating the percentage chance of getting a card, they're roughly 2 x the number of those cards left x number of cards left to come... i.e post flop, holding 4 to a flush, there are 9 cards of that suit left to come and 2 cards left to be dealt, so the % chance is rougly 2 x 9 x 2 = 36% 44 pre-flop, the chance of hitting a set is 2 x 2 x 5 (as there are 2 4's left and 5 cards to be dealt, so 20% chance of hitting the set.) 44 (or any other card) turning into quads is more complicated, but basically you're looking at 2 x 2 x 5 to turn into a set, so 20% of that happening... THEN 2 x 1 x 4 to hit the remaining 4 making 8% chance of that happening, so final prob is 20% x 8% = 1.6% - not something to rely on!! Am sure someone will correct me if I've screwed any of those examples up...

Re: Poker Novice Questions I think 36% to hit a flush is slightly too high. I always did the math slightly differently.. On the flop, it's 4x -2 (4x9 - 2 = 34%) On the turn, it's 2x +2 Can't remember where I heard it, but it's served me well. Still, I suppose a couple of % here and there doesn't matter... just don't ask Masterplan to work out odds for you. No wonder he calls so much, :)

Re: Poker Novice Questions

ermm.. whats a crapshoot?
Crapshoot is a slang term used when a tournament has gone on longer than anticipated by the poker sites software. Generally it will be experienced by the last 2 or 3 players. The blinds are too big in proportion to the remaining players stacks, and so it becomes a game more of luck than skill. Thats when a player may remark "This isn't poker, this is a crapshoot" And no armadillo's were harmed during the making of this post.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions your starting hands should go down, playing hands like KT, Ax etc that you'd drop on a full table - you can also afford to play position more. basically i'd recommend not playing 6 seater tho, you have to make a lot more marginal decisions and they're all judgement based, and your judgement improves the more you play, i'd get some experience in on a full table first :)

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi John, IMHO strategy is far too complicated (and variable) to quickly give any hard and fast rules and besides the strategy that suits one persons game may often not map to another persons. Theres various books by people like Harrington that might be worth reading (I leave others to point to these). What do you mean by "starting hand" - one you should try and limp in with or one worth a raise? If you play a fixed list of starting hands (which should also be affected by your position relative to the dealer, size of the blinds, size of your stack etc. etc. ). Generally the fewer people in the game the lower down the complete list of starting hands you go - but its nowhere near as simplistic as that. Its up to you to decide how tight you want to play in any set of circumstances and IMHO its very hard to give a fixed formula or list. Every game is different - thats why poker is such a fascinating game. .