Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

Re: Poker Novice Questions

GaF' date=' continuing on from your original advice about not even semi bluffing at low levels, at what level should I start making continuation bets? For example, I raise pre flop with AQo, flop of say 8-8-6, if I am acting early or it's checked to me, when if ever would it be a good idea to make a continuation bet, and how big should it be?[/quote'] Crouch, I've also been playing low level cash recently (0.05c/0.10c), on Virgin. Sometimes it can be disheartening. Last night I had a pocket pair that tripped on the flop, which also showed a flush draw. I made a pot sized raise, and got called by the large stack (who had 4 x the buy in). The flush draw didn't improve on the turn, so I raised again and the big stack reraised, putting me all-in. I called and the big stack made his flush on the river :wall Although I was pissed off, I reloaded and continued playing tight. A couple of hour later I was slightly better off than evens for the night. I won a fair chunk back from the big stack who continued to make big bets fishing for straights and flushes. I think it was the first time I've gained inspiration from losing my buy-in :) To have a go at answering your question, for me it very much depends on the other players at your table, your image and most importantly your position. If I was last to act, and eveyone had checked before me, I might make a smallish bet. I'd be prepared to fold to any reraise, otherwise I'm hoping to get to check the turn and the river to see if I hit anything. If I was in early position, I'd probably just check. Bear in mind that any callers probably already have at least 2 pair, so I really would be wary of any aggression.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions For a continuation bet, as Tom says, depends on your opponents ..... In general, at low buy in, where people will call when they should fold, it is probably a bad idea ......... It's almost always a bad idea to continuation bet against more than 2 opponents.....

Re: Poker Novice Questions Can someone explain to me about the various networks and what sites are which? (Boss, Prima, Ongame etc.) Also, what sites are good for micro limit cash games? I'm thinking sign up bonuses should be important, but maybe other criteria too? I've also been reading a bit about certain sites having a certain 'level/standard of play'. How important is that at low levels and in what way are they significant?

Re: Poker Novice Questions You can see a lot of the poker room networks listed in this thread (after the PL ad) - Micro Limit: iPoker (Betfred / Titan ) 1c/2c PKR.com (2c/4c - 3d, HUGE download - needs a fastish PC - massive amounts of really bad players) Boss (Virgin/poker.co.uk) 5c/10c Party Poker 2c/4c Pacific 5c/10c Poker4Ever 5c/10c Ladbrokes 10c/20c Prima/Microgaming 5c/10c Nothing has as bad a standard as PKR.com imo .... if you can stand all the messing about ...... it's more of a computer game than poker .... and thats how people play it.....

Re: Poker Novice Questions Ok GaF, thanks for all your help recently. I see Titan have a 150% sign up bonus (I think), so I might considering taking advantage of that, although I see Doyle's room also has a pretty good bonus on offer. Am downloading Pkr atm, **** me it says it's going to take me about an hour! Btw, I see pokeroom advertised in that link. Aren't they blacklisted?

Re: Poker Novice Questions I am a beginner at online poker too. Started just recently at expekt and I got around with it quite fast. Started at the smallest tables and got on bigger ones. Now I am trying luck at tournaments, freerolls included, which is a good chance to win some money without risking your own and get a lot of expierence.

I am a beginner at online poker too. Started just recently at expekt and I got around with it quite fast. Started at the smallest tables and got on bigger ones. Now I am trying luck at tournaments' date=' freerolls included, which is a good chance to win some money without risking your own and get a lot of expierence.[/quote'] Check out GotaFancy's daily poker thread, it will be a sticky in the Tourney section. There will be a list of various buy-in events including freerolls. Good luck :ok:ok:ok

• 2 months later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions hi guys im hoping someone out there can help me out ,or at leastpoint me in the right direction.im not really that new to pl, but ive only been playing poker for about 15 mths.i,ve tried playing the low limits cash games which i,ve had various results,however i tend to favour the tournaments more especially the "turbos". i no most players frown on these gamesas(crap shoots),but i find i can make a reasonable amount of money playing them. at present i only play on corals,ive tried betfred but that was crap. if someone out there knows where i can get a decent game arond lunchtime, normally in $5 to $10 categorie like at corals i,d love to knowas people are getting to know me to well, and my strategy:ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions I've started playing the Short handed STT Turbo's on boss, and have found some of the play shocking .... you can definitely get an edge, even at the higher levels...... In general, players seem too loose aggressive early, and too tight passive late - they just dont seem to adjust to the stage of the game..... Afraid I dont know of any lunchtime MTTs... (europe is working, America is sleeping - suspect you might be struggling .... maybe worth checking out some Australia/Asia focused sites for their evening games....

• 1 month later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions PokerStars is the place to be, games start pratically instantally and the player base is so large that you'll rarely find yourself up against the same opponents. Personally i dont think that the turbos are crapshoots, as long as you have a good push fold strategy you have a massive edge against the average internet fish.

• 9 months later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi all. I'm not a massive poker player but I like the odd game and pop in here every so often to read what the experts are up to ;) I've heard the phrase "fold equity" bandied about a few times i.e. "you have no fold equity" Can someone explain to me what this means please as I have no idea! Thanks :ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions There are 2 ways to win a hand in poker. One way is to showdown with the best hand. The other way is for everyone to fold. The only way everyone will fold is if you bet. Your "fold equity" is the chance that your opponent will fold if you bet. If someone goes all in, then you have no fold equity. You can call, but it will go to showdown and you must have the best hand. If someone is pot committed, then you have no fold equity - you know that regardless of the bet you make, your opponent will call you, with any 2 cards. Again you must showdown the best hand. To have fold equity you must place a big enough bet that your opponent has a decision to make on whether to call (or raise) or fold. Fold equity is the reason that aggression is so important in poker - you have 2 ways to win a pot, whilst passive players can only win the pot by having the best hand.

Re: Poker Novice Questions A good definition :ok

The value that comes from the possibility that other players will fold when you make a bet. For example: It is often better to make a bet than call a bet because betting has folding equity, whereas calling does not.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions I dont think stars is really a place to initially start off for serious beginners. I started off with ipoker which has much lower sit and go's. I think on stars it's $1 whereas on ipoker its 10c.

PokerStars is the place to be, games start pratically instantally and the player base is so large that you'll rarely find yourself up against the same opponents. Personally i dont think that the turbos are crapshoots, as long as you have a good push fold strategy you have a massive edge against the average internet fish.

• 3 months later...

I dont think stars is really a place to initially start off for serious beginners. I started off with ipoker which has much lower sit and go's. I think on stars it's $1 whereas on ipoker its 10c.
And also some horrific players! That's the bonus of being European, you can play where Americans are banned! And a sea of fish still exists in comparison. Aside from Rakeback issues, I don't see any reason to ever play on sites Americans play, because European and world wide players on average are much worse it makes up for less rakeback. Paddy Power and Will hill have an OK bonus scheme which is similar to Rakeback, although not quite as good.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions Just had a look, and no problems for me (I dont think - I havent been into Bet365 for a while, so dont know what is normal). Recommend you check your filters. I have 6max (no full ring) NLHE from $0.02/$0.04 - but "Bonus" table only - whatever they are. There are "beginners" NLHE tables listed from $0.01/$0.02. Full Ring and 6max.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...