** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

I think we need this thread, so that people aren't afraid to ask questions, I certainly aint anyway. :lol Ok, here goes.... 1. On Bet365, I notice there are FL, PL, NL, & fixed - can someone explain all these and the differences ? 2. Again on Bet365, I was playing for fun a minute ago, and somebody went "all in" yet the only options I seem to have, are check, fold, or raise. This guy was the first to go All In, basically he initiated it. My question is, if I wanted to go "All In" on Bet365, where is the option to do so, bar when you have to stay in the game.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions FL is fixed limit. The stakes will be expressed for the table as $1/$2 for example. In the first two rounds of betting you can bet or raise by is $1. In the last two rounds of betting bets and raises are done at $2. No more than 4 bets can be placed by a player as a result of reraising. PL is Pot Limit. A player may be or raise any amount from the minimum (expresed by the table stakes) up to and including the size of the pot. NL is No Limit. A player may raise his entire stack. A player can go all in in all three game types by moving all his remaining chips into the pot. In Pot limit this would occur when the player has less chips than the size of the pot. In Fixed Limit this would occur when the player has less than the minimum fixed bet infront of him. The Bet and raise buttons you speak of are for a minimum bet at any given time, or a minimum reraise. To bet more there should be a "slider". There should also be a text box where you can key your bet ammount in directly

Re: Poker Novice Questions Tempted to have a go on UK Betting poker ,which i've downloaded . Am i better to try the £0.25/£0.50 limit Hold-em tables first in case things go tits-up. Only going to stick £20 in at the start to see how i get on , had quite a few play for fun games and now want to try the real thing. Advice anyone !

Re: Poker Novice Questions jtw1, I started playing the "sit and go" Single Table Tourneys where you pay a buy in of anything from $2 + $0.20 and upwards for instance and play against 5 or 10 others who all start with the same amount of chips. Some of these little tourneys pay 2 places, some pay 3. Personally, I found it a great way of playing for real money as a total beginner and although I do occasionally play cash games, I do like the Sit and Gos as they dont tie you to tables for ages if you have time constraints.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Ian/Andy, I agree that STTs are a good way to start playing, but I don't understand your point about being tied to the table. At a cash table you can leave at any time, but in a STT you have to wait until you win or are knocked out (unless you just leave and abandon your money).

Re: Poker Novice Questions sorry mate, fair point, didnt make myself clear/fooked my post up :wall . Obviously you can stand up at anytime in a cash game. What I missed out was a reference to the other MTT`s which I intended to mention but didn`t, they obviously can tie you up for a considerable lenght of time. I suppose what I was trying to say was these little tourneys can be over and done with fairly quickly and there`s that little bit of security knowing exactly how much you`re gonna lose before the game starts. I found this reassuring as a novice. If jtw is gonna start on the .25 / .50 NL table he could see his 20 sheets dissapear within the blink of an eye.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Yes, Andy/Ian (is the "Ian Curtis" just a Joy Division thing?), I agree with all that. jtw1 asked about playing limit cash tables. Well, Jezza's going to question your sexuality if you play limit holdem, but I quite like it every now and then. It's a more mathematical game, where no limit is more psychological: you get more opportunities to make "pot odds" bets when you suspect you don't have the best hand. Also, it has advantages for beginning players. When I started playing no-limit, I frequently found myself gradually building up a profit and then blowing it all with a stupid mistake (When I started? It still happens a lot. :lol) That happens a lot less in limit: the cost of your mistakes are limited. Just remember that if you then move to playing no-limit, it's a very different game.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Many thanks once again chaps , have played in 3 SST's since my original post and have been in the money each time , 2 thirds and a second. :ok At the risk of being over-confident , any ideas when i should start thinking of moving up a notch on the buy-in front , or am i just on a lucky streak. I am of the opinion that maybe another dozen or so Min buy-in games ,if i'm still in profit then i should move on . Any advice very welcome :notworthy

Re: Poker Novice Questions jtw... Poker is a volatile game, massive losing and winning streaks happen to the worst and best of players all the time. You've done well to make some profit so far and have obviously picked up the game well..just be careful about moving up stake. Of course moving up is fine as long as you are comfortable with the stakes involved but dont go battering in to heavy action straight away...its not a friendly game! Jez

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi Paul, In a cash game you have to take a minmum of money with you to the table, this would be the $10 buy in. At the same time you cant take take unlimited amounts and the maximum buy in here would be $50. So at $0.25/0.50 youll be able to take between $10 and $50 to the table with you to play with :ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi JT, Congratulations again on the 3rd placeclap.gifclap.gif I guess the reason that you are asking for advice is that next time you want it to be first place laugh4.gif I've started writing a proper reply but my slow typing combined with the fact that i have to start work early tommorrow means you'll have to wait a bit laugh4.gif I'll try and get it done tommorrow bigokay.gif

Re: Poker Novice Questions Sorry JT, I've been working long hours this week and have just been feeling too shattered to compose a coherant reply when I have got home (as mentioned previously typing is not my strongest skill laugh4.gif ). I'm having an early night tonight but I'll get it done tommorrow .............. honest bigokay.giflaugh4.gif

Re: Poker Novice Questions Firstly I’d like to say that I don’t claim to be an expert on short handed play and I haven’t read any books on playing heads up etc. I’m basically just passing on how I play when the table gets short handed.:D I also haven’t previously written advice on the forum on how to play hands as I always felt I hadn’t been playing long enough but I don’t really have that excuse anymore.:unsure When I started playing poker I played a lot of 5 player STT’s and I would say this has led to me being a much stronger player in the later stages of Tournaments when the table only has 3 or 4 people than earlier on when there is a full table. So for what It’s worth here’s my views ………………. if anyone has different opinions on how to play shorthanded or wants to add something then I’d be happy to hear from them ……………… It might improve my game as well. As you've noticed there is a big difference between playing with a full table and playing 2 or 3 handed. For one thing, at the end of a tournament the blinds are high, therefore they are much more significant than earlier on in the tournament. The higher blinds and large minimum bets make every pot important- so you don't want to be giving your blinds away easily if you can help it............... and you want to be stealing your opponents wherever possible. To achieve this you have to be aggressive. Once it gets down to 2 or 3 people if you sit around waiting for premium starting hands before you play, you will lose .................. unless you get a really lucky string of hands. This doesn’t mean you should bet heavily on every hand, but it does mean that regardless of the hands you are dealt, you can’t continually fold pre-flop. Experience will help you strike a balance. Basically when the table becomes short handed you have to re-assess in your head what constitutes a strong hand, a marginal hand and a weak one. Hands that are marginal with a full table become much stronger short handed. The mistake a lot of people make when it gets to this stage is letting their opponents dictate the game. If you want to win, then you have to be then one giving your opponents difficult decisions to make. This means raising. If you raise you have two ways to win- 1. By your opponents folding and 2. By having the best hand. If you call then you can only win by having the best hand. This doesn’t mean continually bluffing by raising or going all-in every hand, when there are 3 players in the pot, but it does mean being aggressive with the hands that you play…………… again experience will help you decide what you should and shouldn’t play. Observing your opponents and thinking a few steps ahead are the most important skills I’ve found when playing short handed. You don’t want to be putting chips in the pot and then having to fold pre-flop to an all-in raise if you can help it. Sometimes this will be unavoidable as your opponents may outmanoeuvre you, leaving folding as the only sensible option but if you pay attention to your opponents situation you can minimise your loses. When there are 3 people left at the table, before calling or raising pre-flop I consider my opponents position as well as my own cards. You have to be aware of how many chips you have and how many chips your opponents have. e.g. If you are on the button, and the player on the big blind is short stacked, then you generally don’t want to be flat calling or making a small raise with a marginal hand that you will fold to any re-raise………. As you are inviting the BB to go all-in giving you a difficult decision to make. Remember you want to be the one giving your opponents the hard decisions. If you decide you are going to play, then if you raise all-in the SB will get their arse out of there unless they have a big hand, and the BB may still fold. I'm not saying this is how you should play that particular hand on all occasions, but its just to show that you should be thinking about how much you bet, and why you are betting. Are you wanting your opponent to call? or are you happy if they fold? That doesn't have to mean you are bluffing, if i figure i am at best a 50/50 shot then I don't mind my opponent folding as the blind is still a significant pot.................. Come to think of it I don't mind them calling either as I am a gambler ;) :lol You also have to use position to your advantage ensuring your opponents have to make tough choices. If you are the person putting in a raise or an all-in it is your opponents that have to make the difficult decision, not you. Once it is down to 2 people, If your opponent is any good then the heads up game can actually last a while. Raise most hands you play………..any pocket pair, any ace, two face cards, or even one face card if you feel like it etc. Its a harder decision to call a raise with J4 than it is to make a raise with it ;) but don’t get bogged down calling all the way to the river or re-raising with poor cards (when its obvious your opponent has a hand) just because you put in a raise originally- remember your opponent can get dealt good cards too……….. you have to learn when to cut your losses. How you actually play hands should depend on your opponent and how you think they will play based on your observation of them and whether you believe they have a genuine hand. I’ve raised all in post-flop with 42o that hasn’t hit anything, when I was sure my opponent had a weak hand, and I’ve folded AKs post flop when I realised I was beaten. I don’t get it right all the time, but experience helps you make the judgements. Hell……….even if you get called you can still end up winning the hand if you are an underdog. Finally don’t be completely predictable, the worst thing is if your opponent knows what you have because you play the same way all the time. Mix your play up a bit occasionally playing hands differently so that if you do flat call on the button your opponents don’t know if you have a marginal hand or you are waiting to check raise. Or if you raise whether you have AA or 72o. If you can keep your opponents wrong footed then you are not allowing them to play their game………. Instead they are reacting to yours. If you manage to take the initiative and dictate the play, then more often than not you will be successful. Sorry if some of this is a bit vague or wandering, but I tend to play instinctively once the table gets short handed, and have never tried to explain it before. If anything isn’t that clear or I’ve missed out stuff (which I’m sure I have) then feel free to ask and I’ll try and explain it a bit better. :ok