Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National?

Simple question here, if you owned Synchronised would you run him in the Grand National and buck the usual trend of Gold Cup winners? (I'm not asking if you think he will win the race) Background; We have just had the latest declaration stage of the National and 59 runners stood their ground, the lowest for years and we could have less than the max 40 runners, it will also be the most competitive for a while with all runners getting a proper handicap mark. Synchronised is top weight with 11st 10lbs and runs off a mark of 161, if the handicapper could do the weights again he would have Synchronised carrying 7lbs more. Also his stable companion Sunnyhillboy is in the race also owned by JP, he would have to carry 10lbs more in any other handicap after his win at Cheltenham. My View; In a word, yes, i would run the horse, i'm not sure he can win off that weight but i like to see these top class chasers run in the best races and i think it would be good for racing. Also he will never get as well handicapped in the future so he may as well take his chance. The national was always his target from the start of the season and he won the Welsh version off 150, he kicked off the season over hurdles to protect the mark and then surprisingly popped up to win the Lexus beating rivals rated over 10lbs superior. Now this gave the handicapper a problem and was raised to his present mark, my view is that the Irish chasing division this year is a poor one and he didn't actually beat a lot that day, in fact that was evident in the absence of any Irish challengers at Cheltenham in the Gold Cup. The Gold Cup itself is also open to debate, we had Kauto Star running below par, Long Run hasn't really impressed all year and The Giant Bolster finished a close second off 160, also Time For Rupert was only beaten a few lengths of 153. I think his mark of 161 for the National is about right and i dint think he his in fact 7lbs well in so i don't think he's a good thing or anything like it. Handicappers tend to raise any winner excessively these days regardless of the facts. With Easter coming early this year the Cheltenham horses do get an extra week break between the two festivals and i think this above anything else is the reason i would run him, the connections are the sporting type and i'm sure will line up as long as he's well unless they actually think Sunnyhillboy will do the business for them instead. Thoughts?

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? I'd definitely run him on the basis that he's in the form of his life, he'll probably never have a better chance to win the National. They know he stays and jumps............ At the end of the season, if he were mine, I'd like to be lookng back at the National as mission accomplished and the Gold Cup as a bonus !

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? I agree with both of ye guys, if he goes there and doesn't perform, no harm done ? Have to give it a bash.. Even though it is top weight, it is still well in at the weights... I personally think it has no chance of winning the national, it is a poor jumper and those Aintree fences are much bigger and dangerous than the Cheltenham fences. You have to have a very good round of jumping to win the national in my opinion. Synchronised battered a lot of fences in the Gold Cup and got away with it over 3m 2f, don't think it will get away with it at Aintree. It could also be out of touch after 2 miles, they normally go a very good gallop.... It will stay the trip, the problem are those fences, and i think you can find much better value elsewhere.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? No,If i owned Synchronised a GG winner i wouldn't risk him in the National having said that if i thought the GG was well below par this year and expected not to do as well next year then i might run him in National and strike while the irons hot. Sorry Bill, But you have to bring,will he win the race into the equation.in fact that would be my number 1 consideration, can he win if he races. Have i a horse better suited to the National who i expect to run a better race would be another consideration. I was at Aintree when Alverton the GG winner had the horrific fatal fall, i may be wrong but i don't think a GG winner has run in the National since, nobody will take the chance.so i would completely understand if Synchronised never ran in National even if they think he has a winning chance and the course is far easier than in the past.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? Yes. He's not had many races this season. He may not race off this handicap mark again. It looks like a poor Gold Cup this year given the proximity of the beaten horses and therefore may not be top class so may struggle next year in Gr1's. The last Gold Cup winner I backed in this race was Master Oats back in the early 90s and he was only beaten about a dozen lengths , but surely would have been at least placed had the crooked Norman Williamson not deliberatey taken the favorite wide all the way , in effect doing 5 mile 4f.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? I doubt Synchronised will get over the Gold Cup in time to run in the National. Didn't it take him longer than Jonjo hoped to get over the Lexus? I'm pretty sure they initially planned to give him another prep run for the Gold Cup but he wasn't ready in time. It will be near impossible to get Sycn 100% after a race as hard as the Gold Cup in only a month. I also think JP has got a better handicapped horse in Sunnyhillboy who will have a nice weight of 10-6 if Sync doesn't run. I'd imagine McCoy could do that weight at a push and that horse for me has a much more live chance of getting over his race in time for the National. That horse also appears to stay all day, jumps well enough and like gd/sft ground, so that would be the one for me.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National?

I doubt Synchronised will get over the Gold Cup in time to run in the National. Didn't it take him longer than Jonjo hoped to get over the Lexus? I'm pretty sure they initially planned to give him another prep run for the Gold Cup but he wasn't ready in time. It will be near impossible to get Sycn 100% after a race as hard as the Gold Cup in only a month.
Why makes you say Synchronised won't get over the Gold Cup with a months rest ? Do you have inside information about the horse's physical wellbeing or his recovery time ? According to reports Jonjo is keen to race. There are steeplechasers who race the following day and its common to see them reappear within a week. Remember a few years back when Rough Quest who came second to Imperial Call , he went on to win the Grand National which was staged only 2 weeks later. If i recall correctly that year it took place in March !!

The last Gold Cup winner I backed in this race was Master Oats back in the early 90s and he was only beaten about a dozen lengths
I couldn't remember that one erhab, see it was in 95. i can't think of another GG winner since Alverton died to run in the National. surely must be many winners at Cheltenham meeting who have gone on to win National the same year. West tip is another.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? Another slant on this question is if Jonjo did run both him and Sunnyhill Boy is in the race, what would Tony McCoy ride, the gold cup winner who is going for a remarkable double or a very well handicapped and in good form Sunnyhill? If I was McCoy, then Sunnyhill as he is the most likely winner of the two, but his heart could go with Synchronised. The risk may be also how he is after experiencing the National fences. Looking at the form of last week's race I wouldn't be at all surprised that if Synchronised remains in top chases he'll struggle to win another race with the opposition coming up the ranks.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? Erhaab and Aidymac; I know you are not great fans of each other but can we just meet up behind the bike sheds and sort it all out instead of taking every opportunity to have a cheap shot at each other, you must be able to agree on something? You both contribute well to the discussions and i look forward to your views most of the time.

Another slant on this question is if Jonjo did run both him and Sunnyhill Boy is in the race, what would Tony McCoy ride, the gold cup winner who is going for a remarkable double or a very well handicapped and in good form Sunnyhill? If I was McCoy, then Sunnyhill as he is the most likely winner of the two, but his heart could go with Synchronised. The risk may be also how he is after experiencing the National fences. Looking at the form of last week's race I wouldn't be at all surprised that if Synchronised remains in top chases he'll struggle to win another race with the opposition coming up the ranks.
I'd be amazed if AP deserted Synchronised to be honest, I just hope they both run but you just know they won't, something will crop up I suppose.

Erhaab and Aidymac; I know you are not great fans of each other but can we just meet up behind the bike sheds and sort it all out instead of taking every opportunity to have a cheap shot at each other, you must be able to agree on something? You both contribute well to the discussions and i look forward to your views most of the time.
No problem BH.

Erhaab and Aidymac; I know you are not great fans of each other but can we just meet up behind the bike sheds and sort it all out instead of taking every opportunity to have a cheap shot at each other, you must be able to agree on something? You both contribute well to the discussions and i look forward to your views most of the time.
I have nothing against Aidymac , infact i like him because i get a "run for my money" when debates are concerned. More lengthy debates would make this forum more interesting for me and some others I would presume. My last comment was tongue in cheek , if you want me to put my bow tie on and disagree less , i can do that.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? Interesting debate and in all honesty I wouldn't run him and the main reason for that is because of something that has already been mentioned and that is his jumping is still a bit subject and with the Aintree fences being a lot tougher and bigger then the chances of him falling will increase. Thus my reason for him not running would be to avoid any potential injury, although I guess you could say that about any horse that will line up to run in the national. There's no doubting he will stay the trip so if he stays on his feet I reckon he is definetly in with a shout of winning the race. Feel like I have contradicted myself a bit there :lol

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? Id run him as long as hes fit and well. I still remember Garrison Savannah going so close to pulling off the double in 91 so would be great for the Gold Cup winner to give it a go. He would be the first GC winner since Master Oats to run in the race.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? I'm not totally convinced by his jumping and therefore his ability to handle the National fences. Other than that, why not run them? It seems ludicrous not to run him if people feel he has a chance. It's got bugger all to do with the GC win, I just don't get it. Fit & well, he has as good a chance as any and this weight ceiling is a bit of a myth if you ask me. Yes, I know what the stats say but there's been plenty of horses go very close (amongst the places) with big weights. Good luck Synchronised.

I have nothing against Aidymac , infact i like him because i get a "run for my money" when debates are concerned. More lengthy debates would make this forum more interesting for me and some others I would presume. My last comment was tongue in cheek , if you want me to put my bow tie on and disagree less , i can do that.
As you can see i'm doing my best to provide debates, i just don't want a throw away comment to become an issue. I like it when people disagree, thats what makes a good debate but i thought (maybe wrongly) that i needed to say something.

I'm not totally convinced by his jumping and therefore his ability to handle the National fences. Other than that, why not run them? It seems ludicrous not to run him if people feel he has a chance. It's got bugger all to do with the GC win, I just don't get it. Fit & well, he has as good a chance as any and this weight ceiling is a bit of a myth if you ask me. Yes, I know what the stats say but there's been plenty of horses go very close (amongst the places) with big weights. Good luck Synchronised.
i think the trend nowadays Russ is to run the Grade 1 horses a lot less than they ever used to, most Gold Cup winners are put away and then run just 3 races next year, this is an opportunity for JP McManus to go against the 'done' thing and I hope he does it, like i said before the only problem is that he has another decent chance in the race too so may swerve the issue.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? synchronsed would be the first horse to win both races since 1934 but not many try none have tryed since master oats finished 7th to royal athlete in 1995 four years before that garrison savannah gave it is all when second to seagram also gold cup winners have a wretched record when turned out again in there season of glory and only one horse of any race at cheltenham followed up in the national since 1961 so trends are against him id say

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? If I owned the horse I would seriously consider a shot at the Grand National , as someone has pointed out Gold cup winners have a poor record , but that is only because of the lack of attempts. Who would pass on a shot of winning £500,000+ with a Gold Cup winner ? Before anybody points it out ,yes I know who JP McManus is.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? funnily enough we had this discussion on the tube today between meetings at work my take was that he would stay but the course may not play to his strengths apart from maybe the long run in but it could be a spent force by then especially on what could be fast ground i prefer those put away with the national in mind, rarely do horses win so many big races in 1 season. I havent looked too closely at the race just yet but i would like to see Synchronised in the field as top weight with mccoy on board as it would give a better price maybe to other horses in the line up

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? I've absolutely no doubt it can handle the trip. It's not what i'd consider an exciting horse to watch, but it's got so much grit. I'd argue that on the run up the elbow, there won't be anything pushing harder if it's still in the race. That last part, as has been mentioned by others, would be my biggest question mark. Comes down to if the horse is fit. He would need to be 100% and the Gold Cup's not an easy saunter home. Would love to see it run though. Seize the moment.

No i would worry he wouldn't come back safe too soon after his gold cup exploits. I would miss out the gold cup next year and go for the national!
Main problem with that Ted is he will be very badly handicapped next season after winning the GC, i reckon its this year or never for him to be honest but obviously wouldn't want to over do things and the safety of the horse is paramount, he's got the right patient owner for that though.

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? It would make a remarkable story if he did win the National thats for sure and as other people are pointing out perhaps this year will be the only year the horse will have a chance to do that. Would get a lot of publicity too, good for racing... the champion jockey, sports personality of the year, winning the two biggest races of the year on the same horse. I'd go for it!

Re: Synchronised ~ Would you run him in the National? I don't think they should run him because i feel the Aintree fences might just catch him out, but if they do run him then fair play for giving the race a go, just as long as he comes back safe as well as the rest of the field. Not really a fan of the GN as it takes to many out the picture.

If he is fit enough, then id run him. The weight would be a negative I suppose but weve seen horses with big weights go closer and closer in recent years and one of these days, one of the top weights will win it. He certainly looks to have the stamina for the race.