** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February

Shalke 04 vs. Victoria Plzen

Really don't understand the bookies pricing Over 2,5 @ 1,60 or lower while both to score is priced at 2,00, even 2,20 at some. So that means chances for Shalke to score 3 or more goals are higher than chances of both to score in this game ? No way I'd say and I won't skip such good odds. Plzen in last 13 games, scored in 12 of them, the only one in which didn't score was against Barcelona. Through these games they managed a 2:2 also against Milan. Even more info to give a slight advantage to this bet, Shalke lost their second keeper also for this game, after he got injured at his shoulder and will miss out for Shalke for some time. With also first keeper out, Shalke will play their 3rd position goalkeeper and Plzen knows they can take advantage of this fact. Also, maybe worth's a punt, Plzen @ 12,00 is just crazy in my opinion. Away win +2 Asian Handicap is priced at 1,60 or around and personally I can't imagine Shalke beating them by three or more goals. there are so many markets to choose on this game and all attract me to go with Plzen in some sort of handicap or goals. Selections: Both to Score @ 2,00 - 5/10 Units Away Win +2 AH @ 1,60 - 10/10 Units Away Win @ 12,00 - 1/10 units Good luck everyone! :hope

Really don't understand the bookies pricing Over 2,5 @ 1,60 or lower while both to score is priced at 2,00, even 2,20 at some. So that means chances for Shalke to score 3 or more goals are higher than chances of both to score in this game ? No way I'd say and I won't skip such good odds. Plzen in last 13 games, scored in 12 of them, the only one in which didn't score was against Barcelona. Through these games they managed a 2:2 also against Milan. Even more info to give a slight advantage to this bet, Shalke lost their second keeper also for this game, after he got injured at his shoulder and will miss out for Shalke for some time. With also first keeper out, Shalke will play their 3rd position goalkeeper and Plzen knows they can take advantage of this fact. Also, maybe worth's a punt, Plzen @ 12,00 is just crazy in my opinion. Away win +2 Asian Handicap is priced at 1,60 or around and personally I can't imagine Shalke beating them by three or more goals. there are so many markets to choose on this game and all attract me to go with Plzen in some sort of handicap or goals. Selections: Both to Score @ 2,00 - 5/10 Units Away Win +2 AH @ 1,60 - 10/10 Units Away Win @ 12,00 - 1/10 units Good luck everyone! :hope

I had the same impression yesterday on City - Porto... lucky I changed my mind and took the over :D

Man United - Ajax Ajax+1.5 at 1.775 (bet365) This game has been already decided in Amsterdam, and United never tend to put much effort in decided games even in CL. There many indications that SAF will not use his best squad. Rooney will be probablt missing, and he is the key link between United midfielders and attack, and without him their game is much more toothless. Besides, United have a very tough game in Norwich this weekend. I expect a very low tempo in this game, and probably a draw or a minimal victory for United. The only possible reason for concern would be if Berbatov starts this game as he tends to be prolific in such easy and decided games.
When I read words like 'easy' and 'decided' I am tempted to think there's some value in Ajax. From what I heard, Ajax were the better team in the first half last week. At 2-0 it's not decided (remember Basle drew 3-3 at Old Trafford and came very close to winning - and Ajax probably have a better squad than Basle). If you're looking at handicaps, I'd say the value is more with the Ajax handicap - Ajax +1.5 @ 1.8 with 188bet

Lineups I could find: Valencia-Stoke http://www.oddsnavigator.eu/match/Soccer/UEFA Cup 1 Europa League/Valencia-Stoke/1x2-ord-juice_a-1145192--1-1 Besiktas-Braga http://www.oddsnavigator.eu/match/Soccer/UEFA Cup 1 Europa League/Besiktas-Braga/1x2-ord-juice_a-1145199--1-1 Atletico Madrid-Lazio http://www.oddsnavigator.eu/match/Soccer/UEFA Cup 1 Europa League/Atletico Madrid-Lazio/1x2-ord-juice_a-1145195--1-1 Twente-Steaua http://www.oddsnavigator.eu/match/Soccer/UEFA Cup 1 Europa League/Twente-Steaua Bucuresti/1x2-ord-juice_a-1145196--1-1 PSV-Trabzonspor http://www.oddsnavigator.eu/match/Soccer/UEFA Cup 1 Europa League/PSV Eindhoven-Trabzonspor/1x2-ord-juice_a-1145201--1-1 Manchester United-Ajax http://www.oddsnavigator.eu/match/Soccer/UEFA Cup 1 Europa League/Manchester United-Ajax/1x2-ord-juice_a-1145189--1-1 There are some important missings, for example Klose from Lazio or Rooney from ManU. In general, I think all these matches are pretty close and the underdogs got a good chance. Of these six, I only wouldn't give any chance to Stoke against Valencia. Besiktas is better when visiting than when playing at home. Both Besiktas and Braga are Portuguese teams, and Braga is used to that style of play. Actually, the whole concept of Braga's game style is revolving around countering the top Portuguese teams. I believe the visitors can grab at least a point.
Uh pall? PSV with Lens and Hutchingson in the starting? Wrong site, Psv is not beginning with them. Most possible line up for Psv tonight might be this one: Issakson Marcelo Derijck Manolev Willems Wijnaldum Strootman Toivonen Labyad Matavz Mertens

When I read words like 'easy' and 'decided' I am tempted to think there's some value in Ajax. From what I heard' date=' Ajax were the better team in the first half last week. At 2-0 it's not decided (remember Basle drew 3-3 at Old Trafford and came very close to winning - and Ajax probably have a better squad than Basle). If you're looking at handicaps, I'd say the value is more with the Ajax handicap - Ajax +1.5 @ 1.8 with 188bet[/quote'] It is decided, believe me. And Ajax are definitely weaker than Basel at the moment. I follow the Eredivisie - they are mediocre. But I don't see United going for a striking victory.

When I read words like 'easy' and 'decided' I am tempted to think there's some value in Ajax. From what I heard' date=' Ajax were the better team in the first half last week. At 2-0 it's not decided (remember Basle drew 3-3 at Old Trafford and came very close to winning - and Ajax probably have a better squad than Basle). If you're looking at handicaps, I'd say the value is more with the Ajax handicap - Ajax +1.5 @ 1.8 with 188bet[/quote'] In my opinion Ajax haven't got the balance right between defence and attack. It surprised me in the first leg how defensively organised they were, rather than their usual gung ho self. The fact they were more content to sit back and let United have much of the ball was an interesting change in philosophy. Possibly because they were aware of their recent defensive frailties, which eventually cost them some of their offensive flair. They had a couple of decent chances, but in the main they were quite dire going forward. Who knows if they'd taken the game to United maybe they could have exposed their defensive frailties, rather than taking up a defensive position. It's hard to know how they will approach this fixture in that case. If they think they can score, which we've seen this season is a perfectly reasonable expectation against Manchester United, we could see an entertaining game. But equally they could choose to line up with the same approach to avoid a mauling.

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February Bookies have got it pretty tight imo for the games in interested in. The possibility of the presense of Suarez mentioned earlier just tipped things towards Man Utd for me. Utd -1.5 2.090 Pinnacle 3/10 Was initially going to back Valencia -1.5, though it was very thin of a value bet to begin with. Stoke have only announced a 15 man squad to the Mestalla, but it is a strong one described by Pulis and I dont think it will make too much of a difference, unless there are some nasty injuries to his players. The drift then too the value on the Stoke City side. Stoke +1.5 1.960 188, 1.940 Pinnacle 2/10

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February I believe the Anderlecht odds are way to high. they are @ 2 to win and @ 2.92 to qualify. In Alkmaar Anderlecht never played at their level. this Euro League is important for Anderlecht and at home they are an different team. You can see this when you look at the Jupiler League aswell, where Anderlecht looses to many points in away games actually, but everyone does. AZ the same thing. Good team at home, but in away games things are going not as good. I believe Anderlecht wants to prove they can win against AZ. Losing is no option and they'll go full for the win. Thats why my bet is Anderlecht to win @ 2 (high stakes) Club Brugge game same thing. Every Belgian team is playing poor in away games, but nevertheless I wasn't impressed by hannovers preformance. At home club Brugge is way better then they are away and the team is in a great shape. The problem Brugge has is Jorgacevic can't play, donk is suspended and Stenmann is out for a long time. Defensively they are missing some players but it shouldn't be a problem to deal with that. Hannover isn't that bad, but in the group stage Standard played them and I wasn't impressed. An 0-0 in Hannover followed up with a 2-0 win at home was the outcome there. Brugge in this form is way better then Standard was back then, and still is actually, so I'm going for a brugge win. Because of the players missing in the back it'll be small stakes! Club Brugge to win @ 2.62 (low stakes) gl all!! :hope:hope

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February Oympiakos (Greece) - Rubin Kazan (Russia) Play at home in the first match of the year - unpleasant. Do not score with a penalty - 2 x unpleasant. You could sprinkle the ashes on my head if it were not for the status of Rubin. Two time champion of Russia during Kurban Berdyev not even get out of these difficult situations. I am sure that the tatars have a couple of alternative options in mind, how it will evolve this away match. As it was rumored resignation Kurban Berdyev as head coach Rubin. Dismiss the man who reared the double champion of Russia, did not allow the new leadership of the club. Perhaps such an unpleasant moment in the life of the club and the impact on the game team in EL. Whatever it was, must configure Berdiev team to win in Greece and prove their professionalism. Rubin lost 0-1 at home this does not mean anything, because Olympiakos is not Barcelona, and Rubin beat Barca away 1-2. There are two teams from the Est Europe that copied Barcelona, one Kazan (wonder why Barsa get always difficulties with them?) and second are miners of Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine). Of course Olympiakos at home is very powerful and it is very hard to win, but there is a feeling that today Rubin win in regulation time (5.25) - I think by 1:0 score. If play in a system 3-7-0 Olympiakos stand no chance, imo Rubin Kazan will score at least one goal, pays off 1.70 in my local bookie.

My favorite bets for tonight: Twente-Steaua Over 2.5 goals at 1.8 (bet365) Very attacking styles of both teams, particularly Twente at home. The first game was more tactical, but a "0:1" makes the return game much more open, as Steaua has no other chances but to open-up, and Twente enjoys attacking football at home. Have been watching quite a few Twente Eredivisie games, and I've seen they create a lot of chances, but meanwhile, they commit quite too many defensive mistakes. Steaua is also a solid team with a lot of experience in Europe. They would definitely score a goal in Entshede. I was thinking about trying "Twente&over2.5" at 2.2, as I am positive the home side won't lose this game, but I think that the over at 1.8 is a good price and a more secure bet. Man United - Ajax Ajax+1.5 at 1.775 (bet365) This game has been already decided in Amsterdam, and United never tend to put much effort in decided games even in CL. There many indications that SAF will not use his best squad. Rooney will be probablt missing, and he is the key link between United midfielders and attack, and without him their game is much more toothless. Besides, United have a very tough game in Norwich this weekend. I expect a very low tempo in this game, and probably a draw or a minimal victory for United. The only possible reason for concern would be if Berbatov starts this game as he tends to be prolific in such easy and decided games.
Hi Fedar, I've read your posts since you joined and I think your reasoning's are something I keep thinking myself. In particular when you took Real Madrid on -1 the other night. I watched that game and had it been on grass I reckon they would have gone and put away 3-4 away easily. They looked too uncomfortable on the artificial. Anyway, on with tonight; Ajax+2 @ 7/10 Hills As Fedar said the key player in the Man United team who helps string many of their goal scoring and highlighted moves together is Wayne Rooney. Ofcourse, there's other players in the team that can try and take his duty but it's a tough one. Ajax aren't pushovers and they will have to do something tonight in order to revive any hope of survival in the Europa League. Many far lesser teams this season have gone to Old Trafford and salvaged something so it's not impossible for Ajax to do so tonight. Twente v Steaua Bucharest Total Match Goals Over 2.5 @ 8/11 Hills Again, the quoted post above gives good reasoning in my opinion. There have been 5 goals scored in each of Twente's last 3 home games and 27 goals scored in their last 6 league games. They are only 1 up on aggregate going into tonight's game at home so I expect something to give. Steaua obviously can't sit back so this is where Twente could capitalize. I also had a double of Valencia and PSV coming in @ 0.97/1 Hills

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February Steaua - Twente Having seen the first game it is pretty clear that a decent attack could produce damage to Twente, but Steaua didn't have creativity in midfield, the only player capable of taking that role, Brandan, played as left full-back, which was a mistake from my point of view as Twente rarely attacked and when they did it really didn't matter that much whether Latovlevici or Brandan played in that position. Now for this game Martinovici will start as right full-back. Which means Steaua will be better covered in that position as far as defence is concerned, but he is technically limited, and can not help the team attacking. Actually this is a more defensive Steaua team than in the first leg, with Prepelita taking the right winger role from Rusescu, which was another mistake tactically speaking from Stan. Rusescu is Steaua's best striker, the most efficient one at least. Playing him in a more defensive position didn't suit him, so now Ilie Stan puts him in the right position as striker and if Twente defends like in Bucharest he can score. So tactically speaking, this is the team I was expecting in the first leg, with Bourceanu coming back in the center of midfield, but he was suspended. In the first game it became clear that Steaua can not match Twente in terms of individual quality. Twente has players up-front who can make the difference all by themselves, pacey wingers with good dribbling ability, capable of delivering quality crosses as well as scoring goals. For Steaua, there is only one such player, Rusescu, while their 2nd best alternative for scoring is set pieces, possible but hard against a Dutch team with tall strong players well adept to defending high balls. At the same time Twente has players in the center of midfield capable of making through balls for the pacey players up-front, something that Steaua can only count on Brandan to do. So yes, Twente is better team than Steaua, and the sheer ambition of the Romanians failed to give us a win in the first leg, altough a draw would have been a fair result. Taking in consideration all these things, it could get ugly for Steaua tonight as Twente are very good on counters, and it will take a great game from goalkeeper Tatarusanu to keep Steaua into the tie. Most likely Steaua will try an agressive pressing like in the first leg, something similar to what they tried in Israel against Maccabi Haifa, and against a team like Twente it is suicidal, as the Dutch team were really not pushing on the pedal in the first leg, and I expect them to be more goal wise in this second leg, as it is really easier to put a couple past Steaua here and enjoy the game than defend a nil draw till the end. At the same time with Brandan in the center of midfield and Rusescu as striker, Steaua has improved chances of scoring a goal, but so do Twente since the left full-back Latovlevici is kind of slow, and will have big problems with Chadli. I believe the boring part is over now, and we shall see a more entertainig game. My prediction is a 3-1 or 4-1 win for Twente, and altough I want Steaua to qualify further, I don't see them capable of doing. Hopefully I'm wrong, but my bets go the other way. Pick: Over 3.5 goals - 3.20 @Sprotingbet 6/10 Over 4.5 goals - 6.50 @ Sportingbet 4/10

Steaua - Twente Having seen the first game it is pretty clear that a decent attack could produce damage to Twente, but Steaua didn't have creativity in midfield, the only player capable of taking that role, Brandan, played as left full-back, which was a mistake from my point of view as Twente rarely attacked and when they did it really didn't matter that much whether Latovlevici or Brandan played in that position. Now for this game Martinovici will start as right full-back. Which means Steaua will be better covered in that position as far as defence is concerned, but he is technically limited, and can not help the team attacking. Actually this is a more defensive Steaua team than in the first leg, with Prepelita taking the right winger role from Rusescu, which was another mistake tactically speaking from Stan. Rusescu is Steaua's best striker, the most efficient one at least. Playing him in a more defensive position didn't suit him, so now Ilie Stan puts him in the right position as striker and if Twente defends like in Bucharest he can score. So tactically speaking, this is the team I was expecting in the first leg, with Bourceanu coming back in the center of midfield, but he was suspended. In the first game it became clear that Steaua can not match Twente in terms of individual quality. Twente has players up-front who can make the difference all by themselves, pacey wingers with good dribbling ability, capable of delivering quality crosses as well as scoring goals. For Steaua, there is only one such player, Rusescu, while their 2nd best alternative for scoring is set pieces, possible but hard against a Dutch team with tall strong players well adept to defending high balls. At the same time Twente has players in the center of midfield capable of making through balls for the pacey players up-front, something that Steaua can only count on Brandan to do. So yes, Twente is better team than Steaua, and the sheer ambition of the Romanians failed to give us a win in the first leg, altough a draw would have been a fair result. Taking in consideration all these things, it could get ugly for Steaua tonight as Twente are very good on counters, and it will take a great game from goalkeeper Tatarusanu to keep Steaua into the tie. Most likely Steaua will try an agressive pressing like in the first leg, something similar to what they tried in Israel against Maccabi Haifa, and against a team like Twente it is suicidal, as the Dutch team were really not pushing on the pedal in the first leg, and I expect them to be more goal wise in this second leg, as it is really easier to put a couple past Steaua here and enjoy the game than defend a nil draw till the end. At the same time with Brandan in the center of midfield and Rusescu as striker, Steaua has improved chances of scoring a goal, but so do Twente since the left full-back Latovlevici is kind of slow, and will have big problems with Chadli. I believe the boring part is over now, and we shall see a more entertainig game. My prediction is a 3-1 or 4-1 win for Twente, and altough I want Steaua to qualify further, I don't see them capable of doing. Hopefully I'm wrong, but my bets go the other way. Pick: Over 3.5 goals - 3.20 @Sprotingbet 6/10 Over 4.5 goals - 6.50 @ Sportingbet 4/10
Based on their eredivisie record this play looks good. I am a bit concerned about the first leg in this series though. I did not see the game, but just looking at a recap, it says they got 3 shots off with one on target? (which was the goal) Can anyone shed some light on what happened in this game?

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February Schalke vs Viktoria Plzeň = over (1.60) Totosì stake 6/10 Schalke position 4° points 44 Viktoria Plzeň position 3° points 33 Preview: Schalke: unavailable: Holtby (midfielder 16/3), Kluge (midfielder 3/0); injured: Lars Unnerstall (goalkeeper 14/0), Fährmann (goalkeeper 9/0); in doubt: Jermaine Jones (midfielder 10/0). Viktoria Plzeň: absent: Pavel Horváth (midfielder 16/2). Schalke has a score in the house w9-d1-l2 goals scored 34 goals against 11 while Viktoria Plzeň has a score out of the house w4-d1-l3 goals scored 17 goals against 14. Schalke in the first leg has got a great 1-1 draw. The home team is in great form and are unbeaten in European competition by 8 rounds by recording 5 wins and 3 draws. The visiting team is the first time participating in European competitions, has performed admirably in the group stage of Champions League coming third behind Barcelona and AC Milan. At the end saw the best quality of Schalke as a very strong offensive department think this is a game full of goals. Quote of the over down on many books. :hope

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February Anderlecht - Az Alkmaar The first leg was dominated by Az, and the 1-0 final result really flatters Anderlecht. Truth is the Belgian team showed an awfull defence, and the way Az pass the ball up-front on the wings really created havoc in their defence. But this is a return leg and still chances for Anderlecht to go through if they win this by more than a goal, or a 1-0 win which would put this game into extra-time. Anderlecht at the same time is much more effective at home, and given the players they have up-front, like Mbokani or Jovanovic, they sure can get some. The game that comes into my mind is their 5-3 win over Lokomotiv Moscow in their last group game. Scenario could very well be similar with both teams having goals in them. Pick: Over 3.5 goals @3.20 Sportingbet 6/10

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February I am really proud, the dutch clubs have all won!! Psv Eindhoven without a problem, Twente won, AZ also did a good job against Anderlecht, and Ajax won against Manchester United in old trafford! unbelievable I never did expect Ajax to do that!

FT: 1:1 +10 Units Profit

Bookies have got it pretty tight imo for the games in interested in. The possibility of the presense of Suarez mentioned earlier just tipped things towards Man Utd for me. Utd -1.5 2.090 Pinnacle 3/10 Was initially going to back Valencia -1.5, though it was very thin of a value bet to begin with. Stoke have only announced a 15 man squad to the Mestalla, but it is a strong one described by Pulis and I dont think it will make too much of a difference, unless there are some nasty injuries to his players. The drift then too the value on the Stoke City side. Stoke +1.5 1.960 188, 1.940 Pinnacle 2/10
-1 unit and abit Excellent match between Utd and Ajax. Definate value on Ajax though I didnt expect them to play this well and Utd never got any momentum going despite the atmosphere tonight. Ajax's players really enjoyed themselves tonight, though they won 2 - 1 they were always against it. Good game of football that.

-1 unit and abit Excellent match between Utd and Ajax. Definate value on Ajax though I didnt expect them to play this well and Utd never got any momentum going despite the atmosphere tonight. Ajax's players really enjoyed themselves tonight, though they won 2 - 1 they were always against it. Good game of football that.
Sounded like 95% of the noise was coming from the Ajax fans to me, Old Trafford would have been (as usual) like a morgue but for them, United's vocal support is an embarrassment.. Did make me laugh when you could clearly hear the Ajax fans chanting 'your support is f***ing shit!'..:lol

Re: UEFA Europa League > Weds 22 & Thurs 23 February Yeah I know, but there was just a great general atmosphere at OT. Was Suarez watching this game? I heard rumours that he was, and hence the Suarez chant by the Ajax supporters? No idea, either way it was great value on the Ajax win tonight, though myself did probably would not have seen it coming before the game. Well done to anyone who did have a go.

My favorite bets for tonight: Twente-Steaua Over 2.5 goals at 1.8 (bet365) Man United - Ajax Ajax+1.5 at 1.775 (bet365)
One success and one failure. Ajax game totally went the way I expected, I even feel sorry I didn't trust Ajax more. United proved once again they are really lazy when they lack real incentive to win. On the other hand, Twente-Steaua - a big time disappointment! F*cking tournament defensive mentality!!! Teams who enjoys scoring that much were so scared to attack tonight, it was hurting watching that game. And particularly Steaua - they needed to score two goals and they never took a minimum risk, even in the last 15 minutes. Huge lesson from League Europe: tournament mentality is very strong and teams are so cautious and risk-averse, that it is always a winning strategy to be looking for unders. I made a big profit betting live this evening, and all my bets were for either no more goals to be scored, or just one more (the bets were around half-time). Live Betting seems to be the better options for tournament battles!!!