** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Dry Spells

Going through a real bad spell with my betting at the moment. Had spells before but at the stage now that I have little confidence in my selections. Using a system that has worked well for me for the past two years but at the moment can't get near them. Is it just me or is it really tough going at the moment?

Re: Dry Spells I'm in low confidence mode at the moment as well - I always follow a similar path when I'm not firing. i look at smaller field races, get drawn to favourites and short price ones and feel 'oh, why do i bother' when they get beat.......:unsure I spend more and more time studying form for fewer and fewer horses and can't pick anything until i've spent about 4 hours on an 8 runner handicap. Then i still have no firm opinion and plump for the favourite or second favourite............:unsure i think that when you get in a rut like this you've just got to have a break and clear your mind for a few days. Stop betting. If you carry on selecting for the comps do it quickly and by 'feel' rather than study..........go with hunches Nothing like a couple of decent price hunches coming in to get the confidence back even if you haven't backed them ! That's my take on it.............I'm going to watch telly and mess about on forums tonight and not spend hours studying tomorrow's races. My selections in the comps will be hunches.............:p

Re: Dry Spells Trotter I am doing almost exactly the same thing at the moment, its as if I am blind and can't read form or stats or anything, had two winners since I first posted though so maybe things are turning. Won't be betting to much tomorrow, might take your advice and take a break for a while.

Re: Dry Spells And me. However much you know you'll come good again, it feels a million miles away sometimes and as if you can't be bothered with it! For example, I've been getting horses unplaced who have been ultra consistent and in the money. I could get Canford Cliffs beaten in a seller at Kempton at the moment. Having said that, a couple of decent winners tonight have improved matters slightly.

Re: Dry Spells Im struggling at the minute too. Whenever I seem to up stakes on horses Im really sweet on they have been breaking badly out of the stalls and ruining all chance. Last Sovereign at Catterick this week being the latest. The race ended up being run by an out of form horse with little form at the trip, ironically drawn next to Last Sovereign. Gutting when the race works out ideally to plan but a) the horse breaks badly and b) twice gets blocked for room when trying to make a challenge. I'm sure it will change for me, like everyone else, but it doesnt make it any easier to bear at the time.

Re: Dry Spells My problem is i'm starting to get involved in races i shouldnt be touching and backing unreliable sorts. Not a good path to tread. Possibly looking for bets that dont exist instead of leaving them alone. I need more jump meetings I think! Just bored at the moment with a lot of the racing.

Re: Dry Spells Having my worst week of the year. Can't hit a barn door with a bloody banjo at the moment!!! It's sort of re-assuring that there's a few of us in the same boat. With the quality of punter in this thread I am confident that we all need just that 1 or 2 winners to kick start us back up again! Good luck tomorrow lads

Re: Dry Spells After reading all the replies here I'm beginning to wonder if 'feeling out of form' is the normal place that punters are...........:unsure I mean, let's face it, we all have more losers than winners and our losing runs are inevitably going to be longer than our winning runs.......... is it just the normal state of affairs for a punter to feel he's on a losing streak ? With me it's not so much that I'm picking lot's of losers and no winners, I'm probably around my usual strike rate, which is consistantly around 25%, I'm always going to be having 3 times more losers than winners.......it's more of a jaded feeling that putting in the hours has become a chore rather than a hobby........:unsure I usually get this in the summer when there's so much racing.........it's just so daunting looking at 'Todays Racecards' and seeing 7 meetings and your heart sinks a bit. Roll on the winter and the all weather ! I can handle one or two meetings a day ! It's also become apparent to me that i depend on my all weather speed ratings to help me shape a race, they give me something to hang my study on, a starting point.............because I don't do them on the turf I find it a lot more difficult to get an initial framework for a race. Rambles like this is what comes of deciding not to spend hours studying form..............:loon

Re: Dry Spells

Going through a real bad spell with my betting at the moment. Had spells before but at the stage now that I have little confidence in my selections. Using a system that has worked well for me for the past two years but at the moment can't get near them. Is it just me or is it really tough going at the moment?
It's really tough going. I'm might be telling you what you already know, but if you're using a system it may not have worked for a while just before you started it! I don't know if you base your selections on horse, trainer, jockey, or a combination, but we all know it doesn't work 100% of the time. Stop beating yourself up about it; tinker with your selection criteria or perhaps lower your stakes during dry periods :ok

Re: Dry Spells I think you've put your finger on it there, lots of meetings for me become a real headache as I struggle to find the one little gem amongst the mass of runners, stats become blurred and its like blindness kicks in and the whole thing seems like such a grind. Definitely need a break Will post my BBOTD tomorrow but that will most likely be my only bet of the day :eek

Re: Dry Spells I cried myself into it Backed the first 3 winners across the card, only small stakes as I am reducing my bets at the moment, typical, normally would have had a chunky trixie... Oh Well, at least I'm out of the doldrums :)

Re: Dry Spells I've put some cash down today just 'cos I've not had a bet for a while..........:unsure I know that's shocking discipline and it'll serve me right if they both get beat, but on the other hand if one of them wins and I finish the day in profit, it might be a confidence boost.......... Cono Zur and Forrest Flyer at Ayr............ If they both lose I'll have another week moping around............:loon

Re: Dry Spells Last year, when I was having a particularly dry month, I started trading in-running. Personally I feel that trading would be an ideal way to make a living and it might be something I take up permanantly a month from now as my current job is ending and I'm finding it tough to get another in the industry that I want to break into.

Re: Dry Spells This is an interesting thread I have had long periods of time where the only thing I can tip is rubbish, yes we all end up on the wrong side of the street, but in this game you make your own luck, looking for the breaks is all part and parcel of betting, I think the most important rule I can offer is when you start hitting a dry spell, the best thing you can do is walk away from it dont fall into the trap of "chasing the dragon", you can always go back after taking a break from betting, but to some its a drug that sends them to the poorhouse, I write this as someone said that I have been here for sometime and never offered an opinion, therefore I have!

I've put some cash down today just 'cos I've not had a bet for a while..........:unsure I know that's shocking discipline and it'll serve me right if they both get beat, but on the other hand if one of them wins and I finish the day in profit, it might be a confidence boost.......... Cono Zur and Forrest Flyer at Ayr............ If they both lose I'll have another week moping around............:loon
Glad ill be reading a few more of your tips this week then :ok

Re: Dry Spells 10/1 winner brings me from my slumber. Hopefully that's a week I won't revisit for a while. Don't think I was doing anything different or wrong, would make the same selections again given the same form, conditions and markets, just had no luck. Here's to a better week. :beer

10/1 winner brings me from my slumber. Hopefully that's a week I won't revisit for a while. Don't think I was doing anything different or wrong' date= would make the same selections again given the same form, conditions and markets, just had no luck. Here's to a better week. :beer
Glad to hear it fella, am sure you know the rules on luck by now, its a very funny game, where would the fun be if we won on every race, the ones that lost make the ones that win even more special. Stay cool ok.

Re: Dry Spells Thought Stuart Williams was gonna bring my barren run to an end having backed Cheylesmore and The Scorching Wind in a double - best odds guaranteed. The first one made every yard of the running to score, despite drifting from 11/2 out to 8/1 at SP but The Scorching Wind ran as if the knackers yard beckons. and brought the bet crashing to its knees! Moral of the story, avoid multiples as much as possible :)

Thought Stuart Williams was gonna bring my barren run to an end having backed Cheylesmore and The Scorching Wind in a double - best odds guaranteed. The first one made every yard of the running to score' date=' despite drifting from 11/2 out to 8/1 at SP but The Scorching Wind ran as if the knackers yard beckons. and brought the bet crashing to its knees! Moral of the story, [b']avoid multiples as much as possible :)
During Royal Ascot I really fancied Await The Dawn but bottled out of having a massive bet on it. I put it in doubles and trebles instead for less money but all the rest flopped and I landed 0 return. Doubled it with the fancied Stoute horse the same day, the fancied one Murtagh was on (Bewitched or something) and Apace racing elsewhere. :wall

Re: Dry Spells I don't know if it's mere coincidence or what but I haven't done a multiple since i opened an internet account about 15 months ago and have stayed out of bookies shops............and I've been well in profit ever since ! I never was before...............:unsure At first i couldn't figure out how to do a multiple on the internet...........now I've deliberately decided not to bother finding out............:nana

Re: Dry Spells I feel ya, Cheltenham as well as Aintree have been big pay day meetings and I had some nice hits in between (Blue Bunting), but Ascot crushed my online bankroll (no desposit money, so I am not crying too much) and made me pay live money as well... :@ I lost all my confidence and missed some nice outsiders, because I either did not bet at all or did not use my way to do it... :sad But Sat was a little comeback day, since I saw value in a bet in Hamburg and had the option to bet in the german or in the french tote, odds here 13/1, odds france 35/1. Easy choice... :nana ... I had a winner paying for all my losses. I turned a value bet into a super value bet, nice... :cheers

I feel ya, Cheltenham as well as Aintree have been big pay day meetings and I had some nice hits in between (Blue Bunting), but Ascot crushed my online bankroll (no desposit money, so I am not crying too much) and made me pay live money as well... :@ I lost all my confidence and missed some nice outsiders, because I either did not bet at all or did not use my way to do it... :sad But Sat was a little comeback day, since I saw value in a bet in Hamburg and had the option to bet in the german or in the french tote, odds here 13/1, odds france 35/1. Easy choice... :nana ... I had a winner paying for all my losses. I turned a value bet into a super value bet, nice... :cheers
Hmmmmm, now there's a new way of thinking! How did you discover the prices?