Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) One more for the late match. 10pts (7/10) J.Melzer to bt. M.Baghdatis @ 1.84 at Pinnacle Melzer is a great player and has not faced a test here yet, so he will be full of energy against Baghdatis, who has had to come through quite tough matches. I think he is the better player overall and he always seems to be playing well in Grand Slams when it matters. Baghdatis is not the toughest opponent around and I think he may win this quite easily. And if it goes to distance, I would definitely fancy the fitter play, which is Melzer.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Glad you were on board' date=' smeg. It has been a very good first week, more losers than last week but making around an 8pt profit on average each day - just hitting more matches. Always good to have a loser on occasion as it focuses the mind. Don't think I'm the only one though - there are few here (IAG in particular) who are making good profit. Long may it continue :ok[/quote'] thats for sure. I think the draws have been good to us too. ya can't underestimate the value of a kind draw. As for IAG, the man always brings his A-game to the slams...king of the shrewd double.

Any leans for tonight Smeg?? Cant see much value in the mens anyway, maybe Dolgopolov in some capacity. Looking through the womens now. You were right on Schiavone btw....she hit around 1.60 before that one. I was put off by her display against Marino but as you said new day, new opponent...Marino is all power whereas Niculescu totally different.
well, to be honest, i've already put my bets onfor tonight yesterday and the prices have changed. I basically put a big bet on a peng,li na and zvonareva treble with boylesports. li na has already won anyway, and beat the handicap which seems pretty obvious now as zahlavova-strycova, although being a great match player against players of her level, always gets hammered by the big consistent hitters...I like how li na is shaping up at the moment and i fancy her to beat azarenka but will analyse it more. I really like peng who is the cornerstone of that bet.peng is basically a solid old prob, a great ball striker and a fine match-player...she gets more exposed against the top players as once she is on the back foot her retrieval and defensive skills aren't so much up to scratch and she does find it hard to change sirections...if she doesn't get the exact angle she needs she does tend to hit the ball up the middle of the court too often for my liking when she has a chance to hit the corners but her two-handed forehand and backhand limits her movement a bit1 yet, i like her a lot still as she is a consistent ballstriker and has an excellent temperment. morita is very lucky to have reached this far.....she played dulgheru, who i tipped up by the way.....ooops, but dulgheru was pretty awful....couldn't hit two straight points on her backhand and is a shadow of the player i remember from last season. then she had the easiest second round draw of any player agàinst the unexperienced caroline garcia who beat the useless lepchenko in the first round. and she didn't hammer her either 6-4 6-4. morita is untested really and my experience of being involved with her matches in the past is that she is a bit of a bottler. she's probably confident after her first two rounds but this is a big big step up for her. she makes way too many unforced errors for me to play at pengs level who will just stay solid and what i like about peng is that she is ballsy and plays the big points well. as for zvonareva...well safarova can be tricky when she's playing well...but two tight 3 set matches against zakopalova and zhang doesn't suggest she's ready to take on a player of zvonarevas talent. i think safarova has a mental block about beating the big players in grand slams and will most likely be t6he first to break down in longh ralleys. so that's my big bet. other than that, i went for petrova..1 point bet. even though makarova is playing well....her win over ivanovic is probably over-rated a bit. i still think petrova is the more likely winner.... her game is less one-dimensional and she has the experience. will probably be a close one. As for dolgopolov, the match seems like it could beat the overs. but ultimately, dolgopolov still has a lot more to prove....and he might just do that....but tsonga is a great man to get through a battle and if i had to invest in one of the players it would be tsonga. he loves australia too. i also put a wager on a youzhny -pavlyuchenkova double..nothing serious. berankis could cause ferrer trouble also.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) simona halep to beat agnieszka radwanska 1 point 2-1. i also went for halep here. radwanska is there for the taking for sure. but date krumm just made too many errors and threw away the match aginst radwanska in the first round and martic didn't have enough weapons or game in general to trouble radwanska. however, despite all of kleybanova's errors against halep ....it has to be said halep played a good match and she will have no fear. She's a former french open juniors winner and she's got pretty hefty grounstrokes... i think she can play a similar sort of match to the one peng did at the Us open when she beat radwanska....if she plays agressive, stays consistent and keeps her nerve which i think she is capable of doing...though she's bound to have a wobble along the way i think she is capable of beating an over-rated radwanska who in any case isn't 100 per cent fit.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Smeg Good luck with that mate. Taking it easy tonight, just have Youzhny for an earlier double but a little worried about Raonic serving like Karlovic again. Your treble above should come in.....Peng is a class above Morita who I think is actually pretty average. Her price has taken a beating aswell....1/5 in some places!! I'd be shocked if Safarova could beat Zvonareva in a slam, she defends too well and should force mistakes. Think a few of the dogs in the womens have a shot...Pennetta, Kvitova and as you say Halep. You'll be put through the mill in the Halep match I'd say but its worth a shot at the price...should be alot of breaks there but agreed that Radwanska is unbackable at short prices now. Hope she does the business for you and GL to everyone else betting tonight...........:hope

Justine Henin vs Svetlana Kuznetsova overs 21.5 games 10/11 skybet i think this could be the match of the tournament two evenly matched players who should provide a great match
im sorry i did not reply sooner i hope you went for this bet because i was sure both sets would be close

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) My only bet of the night is Cilic & Stosur double I saw Cilic v Young and I thought that the Croat looked back on top form. He was hitting winners all over the place, against a guy whose only weapon is his serve. I like Isner, but I reckon Cilic can do something similar against him. Cilic is just a bit too clever for Isner and that should see him through. I don't see why everyone is down on Stosur. I think she can win the Australian Open. She's stronger than anyone else left in the tournament and can show it tonight against Kvitova. The Bulgarian is decent enough, but she's not anywhere near the level of Stosur and I think she's taking a set, maximum.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Raonic definitely has a future. His game is not spectacular, but he is solid and can keep his cool. Funny. The man that saved 20+ break balls against Nadal just a few months ago has not been able to hold his serve at all. Edit: He has done it! On his seventh attempt :D Wonderful :D

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) He is too trigger happy. I do not understand why he always wants to go for the most spectacular winner. He has a lot of talent, but he should back down a little bit and play more solid tennis with more defense thrown in. Funny, Tsonga and Monfils are like two opposites. Monfils is too passive and defensive, Tsonga is too active and aggresive.

One thing they have in common' date=' both are French idiots who if they went back to basics, would be better for it.[/quote'] So true. I really like both Tsonga and Monfils and they are clearly talented enough to be top 5 players. However, they're both all over the shop mentally. They get away with it by being 'French'. It's crazy, France put so much effort into schooling young players, then when they're seniors, they just get left to turn into idiots.... Monfils won the junior Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon in 2004. Murray won the junior US Open that year.........

Berdych opened at 1.585 vs Verdasco, bookies are smart. Was hoping for 1.7-1.80 there. Wawrinka opened around 2.2-2.30 vs Roddick but I refreshed the page a minute later and he was 2.00. Fancy Stan there as Roddick is playing too passive atm.
I'd take any top 10 player against Wawrinka all day. I'll wait for the odds to settle down, but I think anything over 1.6 is value on Roddick. BTW - I want to applaud Atko, I didn't follow him, because I, obviously, had my own views and bets, but his tips have got better and better as the Aussie Open has gone on. Can't remember for sure, but I know he was on soda unders and dolgopolov. Awesome. I have my own opinions, which will, occasionally, differ from Atko's, but the guy is absolutely brilliant :clap

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Isner - Cilic looks to be a second Mahut - Isner.. Now i really like price on Melzer. It's 1,99 in Pinna and i think it's pure value. At most places you can find him at 1,7 or even at 1,6. Melzer is as fresh as air in Himalaya mountain. Baghdatis had two tough battles and he's obviously will be more tired than austrian. Also over is obviuos choice in this match as it's likely to be a hell of a battle but i'm sticking with Jurgen.

- Alexandr Dolgopolov +4 games AH (vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga) @ 1.87 with Pinnacle (6/10) WIN - Under 28.5 games AH (Robin Soderling vs Jan Hernych) @ 1.87 with Pinnacle (6/10) WIN - Tomas Berdych (vs Richard Gasquet) x Marin Cilic (vs John Isner) @ 2.37 with Pinnacle (5/10) WIN
Soderling, as expected, won comfortably, although credit to Hernych for not falling away in the third set. Dolgopolov ... well, what can I say? This guy is going to be huge. I think, with the right coaching, he'll be a Top 10 player. Not sure I'll continue to back him against Soderling but he's made me a tidy sum in this event. As for Cilic, who completed the double with Berdych ... I thought he was goosed once that final set went deep, but Isner isn't as good as he was last year. Hopefully he'll hit those heights again. Well done to all the other winners, from what I can remember, Czech's had a cracking day :ok

Youzhny (to bt Raonic) x Berdych (to bt Gasquet) Double @ 1.945
loss.....no complaints there. Raonic was superb, Youzhny actually should have won the second set leading by a break twice but his serve was crap at times. Cracking work last night fellas, especially Atko who is having a great AO!

I'd take any top 10 player against Wawrinka all day. I'll wait for the odds to settle down, but I think anything over 1.6 is value on Roddick.
Roddick has a better serve, more experienced and maybe mentally tougher. Right now Stan is a better player for me. Not sure if there's any value in that one though, on Wawrinka's side anyway. Should be a long one anyway. Roddick's price is actually more tempting at even money. Coin flip.

Now i really like price on Melzer. It's 1,99 in Pinna and i think it's pure value. At most places you can find him at 1,7 or even at 1,6. Melzer is as fresh as air in Himalaya mountain. Baghdatis had two tough battles and he's obviously will be more tired than austrian. Also over is obviuos choice in this match as it's likely to be a hell of a battle but i'm sticking with Jurgen.
Melzer won it after Baghdatis retired. :) Looks like it's gonna be first real test for Murray. Melzer is at his best now and undoubtedly he has something to offer for Andy. Looking forward to seeing this. :ok

A lot of bets of me again after a pretty successful day. All underdogs it seems. 10pts (6/10) G.Garcia-Lopez (+7.5) to bt. Andy Murray @ 2.19 at Pinnacle :@:@ 10pts (6/10) M.Raonic (+4.5) to bt. M.Youzhny @ 1.93 at Pinnacle :ok:ok 10pts (5/10) A. Dolgopolov to bt. J.Tsonga @ 2.52 at Pinnacle:ok:ok 10pts (5/10) I.Benesova (+4.5) to bt. A.Pavlyuchenkova @ 2.02 at Pinnacle:ok:ok 10pts (5/10) P.Kvitova (+3.5) to bt. S.Stosur @ 2.11 at Pinnacle:ok:ok 10pts (7/10) J.Melzer to bt. M.Baghdatis @ 1.84 at Pinnacle :ok:ok
5 out of 6, with most of them around evens or above. Nice. Too bad GGL cannot serve anymore.

My only bet of the night is Cilic & Stosur double [.. snip ..] I don't see why everyone is down on Stosur. I think she can win the Australian Open. She's stronger than anyone else left in the tournament and can show it tonight against Kvitova. The Bulgarian is decent enough, but she's not anywhere near the level of Stosur and I think she's taking a set, maximum.
Captain, how on earth can u bet a match without even knowing from which country the player is? Kvitova is Czech, not Bulgarian ;)