** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Tennis - 9-15 August

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Normally like to do a wee antepost selection for the events but struggling to come up with one in Toronto. The draw is extremely competitive and you could make a case for several players to win it. With Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Soderling, Berdych and Davydenko all there, I'm not going to part with my cash on predicting the overall winner.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Couple of early bets for me in the Rogers Cup. Toronto: Fernando Gonzalez vs Gael Monfils Happy to snap up the odds of 1.73 on Monfils. He's a bloody unpredictable player at times and can put any punter through the mill but I do fancy him to take care of Gonzalez. The Chilean has not played since the French Open, where he was beaten early doors by Dolgopolov. He's a had a poor year and to me seems like a man on the decline. His forehand doesn't have quite as much impact as it once did and his movement and serve have dropped. He's playing a man in Monfils who came into a little bit of form on the clay in Stuttgart before picking up an injury - I assume he's recovered, otherwise he'd not be here. Monfils has a decent record on quick surfaces - his serve and mobility help him - and crucially, he's got a 2-0 record over Gonzalez, with both wins coming on hard, albeit indoor. I just feel he's fitter, sharper and better prepared for this match. Gonzalez has lost to some poor players this year and isn't the force of old. I'm happy to take him on here. - Gael Monfils at 1.73 with Stan James (6/10) Toronto: Alexandr Dolgopolov vs Philipp Petzschner Not sure I agree with the bookies that Dolgopolov is the underdog here. The Ukrainian has got serious potential and looks like a future Top 20 player for me. He's got more experience on clay courts but has won matches on hard court. Plays with a lot of spin and I'm not sure Petzschner will like that. Big German plays in much the same way and won't like being move around by Dolgopolov. He had a good Wimbledon but since then has lost his last three matches, all on clay, and his last defeat was a shocker, against Olivier Rochus. He seems a streaky player - if he's on form, he's very hard to beat, if he's off, it seems he's there for the taking. At the moment it appears he's let his level slip a bit. Dolgopolov needs to start winning these sorts of matches if he's to progress and although, like Petzschner, his last match was a few weeks ago in Umag, he got to R3 there and has little bit more form behind him. Fancy him to take this at inflated odds. - Alexandr Dolgopolov at 2.16 with Pinnacle (3/10) Toronto: David Ferrer vs David Nalbandian This is going to surprise a few here but I'm going to back Ferrer to beat the Argentine. Yes, Nalbandian just won Washington and played some brilliant tennis, but this looks like a nasty match-up for him. They've met many times before - Ferrer leads the H2H 5-4 and has beaten him on hard - and they'll know each other inside out. Nalbandian is going to be tired. He's not played a full week in ages and has the physical and emotional comedown on winning a tournament. Ferrer is not as effective on hard as he is on clay but he'll still chase down balls and still make life very tough for Nalbandian. A fresh Nalbandian would merit his current odds but to have Ferrer at 2.20 is too big, especially when I feel he can win this. He could easily outlast the Argentine here and that's why I'm prepared to back him. - David Ferrer at 2.20 with Boylesports (2/10) :hope

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Good bets mate. Monfils for sure looks a must bet IMO. Monfils to beat Gonzo @ 8/11 (S James: 7/10) Logical play and the price is just enough to take it. Only worry is Monfils had that injury a few weeks back against Montanes but looked like he rolled his ankle more than anything so should be fine. Gonzalez is one of my faves but no tennis in months and from watching him this year it looks like the age is creeping up on him - looks sluggish at times so this could be a tough match for him. Monfils to take this one down. GL

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August

Couple of early bets for me in the Rogers Cup. Toronto: Fernando Gonzalez vs Gael Monfils Happy to snap up the odds of 1.73 on Monfils. He's a bloody unpredictable player at times and can put any punter through the mill but I do fancy him to take care of Gonzalez. The Chilean has not played since the French Open, where he was beaten early doors by Dolgopolov. He's a had a poor year and to me seems like a man on the decline. His forehand doesn't have quite as much impact as it once did and his movement and serve have dropped. He's playing a man in Monfils who came into a little bit of form on the clay in Stuttgart before picking up an injury - I assume he's recovered, otherwise he'd not be here. Monfils has a decent record on quick surfaces - his serve and mobility help him - and crucially, he's got a 2-0 record over Gonzalez, with both wins coming on hard, albeit indoor. I just feel he's fitter, sharper and better prepared for this match. Gonzalez has lost to some poor players this year and isn't the force of old. I'm happy to take him on here. - Gael Monfils at 1.73 with Stan James (6/10) :hope
will follow here mate. Gonzalez is clearly not even close to what he showed las couple of years so Monfils looks like the clear favourite. Hope frenchman delivers!

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Mentioned Ferrer aswell in the other thread.Looking to get him at a one ball bookie perhaps in case of retirement. He had a little injury a few weeks back, plus first match on hard in months. No doubt Nalby is the better player on hard court, but still a tough match for him as Ferrer can retrieve well like Simon. Nalby gonna get a look at his serve though, and probably likewise. Tough one, have to think more on this. Hate to oppose the man though..........:notworthy

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Chela to beat Falla............... Great odds for Chela, Chela is 5/4, H2H is 1-1 and Chela beat Falla earlier in the year on hard court 2 sets to 1 after being a set down. I see Chela repeating this performance in 3 sets. Gonzalez to beat Monfils, 11/10. I think Monfils can't be trusted and me and French tennis players don't go, everytime I back them they LOSE! So i'll start doing the opposite and oppose them. Monfils is injury prone too due to his antics he will probably break his ankle or something while playing and carry on playing.... No only joking, I do believe Gonzalez will prevail in a very tough game. I always go for underdogs.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Hi guys, One pick for 1st round of Cincinnati WTA tomorrow: VESNINA TO D OUDIN @ 1.73 on stanjames Oudin had great run last year at US Open but this season she is struggling to reproduce this form. Vesnina plays a good balanced game consistent, with solid defense and good offensive game as well and she is a bad match-up for Oudin who prefers counter punching game playing against attacking players. As a result Vesnina won easily by 6-2 6-1 on US hard courts earlier this year. Vesnina was in such a good form in her last tournament in Istanbul where she was unlucky to lose in the finals.

Chela to beat Falla............... Great odds for Chela, Chela is 5/4, H2H is 1-1 and Chela beat Falla earlier in the year on hard court 2 sets to 1 after being a set down. I see Chela repeating this performance in 3 sets. Gonzalez to beat Monfils, 11/10. I think Monfils can't be trusted and me and French tennis players don't go, everytime I back them they LOSE! So i'll start doing the opposite and oppose them. Monfils is injury prone too due to his antics he will probably break his ankle or something while playing and carry on playing.... No only joking, I do believe Gonzalez will prevail in a very tough game. I always go for underdogs.
be carefull with the falla's one i see no reason chela should won this one he showed some good performance on clay lately but his game is strongly based on clay and he never makes good results on hard. Falla showed better results on hard and he has been playing on US hards for the last 2 weeks so he should be used to it

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August A few more for me today... Toronto: Victor Hanescu vs Milos Raonic There has been a massive swing in the odds towards Raonic, to the point where you can get Hanescu in the 1.80s. I'm astonished by this. Yes, Raonic is a Canadian and the 19-year-old is supposed to have a bright future, but apart from making the final of a Challenger in Vancouver, he's done next to nothing on the circuit. He's up against a decent player in Hanescu. The Romanian is in a poor vein of form, mainly a spin-off from his acrimonious defeat to Brands at Wimbledon, but he's taken some time off and I think he'll have come here with victory in mind. Hanescu is more of a clay-courter but he can be effective on a quicker hard court and he has the Tour experience that Raonic doesn't have. I'm sure he'll look at this match and believe it is entirely winnable - Raonic will have never faced a palyer of Hanescu's stature before. I think the Romanian can get back on the winning trail here and odds of 1.75 with a bookie that covers retirements seems pretty generous to me. - Victor Hanescu at 1.75 with Boylesports (4/10) Toronto: Tommy Robredo vs Jarkko Nieminen I'm going to have to oppose Robredo here. The Spaniard is having a quite dreadful season - has lost many close matches, seems to be lacking confidence on court and has lost a lot of power from his serve and groundstrokes. Past seasons suggest he can do well on a hard court but apart from a good showing in Bastad a few weeks ago, he's been emptied out of tournaments pretty early on. Lost on the clay to Starace and then even more worryingly, Gil, and comes here with no practice on this surface. Nieminen isn't the player he once was either but the lefty came through qualifying without dropping a set and has decent form in general on hard courts. His last match was a gutsy affair against Mathieu, where he won in three, and I expect that to set him up nicely for Robredo. The Spaniard leads the H2H 4-1 but Nieminen's only win was on a hard court and the majority of matches came some years ago, when Robredo was a Top 20 player. Now, I look at a shadow of the player he once was and I feel Nieminen has a good chance of adding to his woes. - Jarkko Nieminen at 2.05 with Betdaq (3/10) :hope

What are peoples opinions on taking Lopez in F Lopez v T De Bakker?
The odds have shifted in favour of de Bakker overnight. Personally I think it's quite a tough match - de Bakker has got a big serve that'll keep it close but he prefers playing on a clay court, while Lopez does his best work on a hard court. De Bakker did play well last week though. I'd be inclined to stay clear of it - only bet that would interest me is the overs.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Benneteau to beat Istomin @ 2.27 (Pinnacle:5/10) Should be a tough match here, and the value is on Benneteau I think.Istomin got past Leo Mayer in a 3rd set breaker last week, before Cilic schooled him. Played qualies here in Toronto beating Ramon Delgado 7-6 6-4 and then a long one with Devvarman yesterday winning 4-6 6-3 7-6(10)....not really impressive at all. Don't think his level is that high right now.Benneteau lost to Malisse last week, played a decent match but Malisse was very good in tight moments as he seemed to be all week.Good serve, decent returner and defence....think he can trouble Istomin here. GL! Wanted to oppose Leo Mayer again like last week but the price has gone on Anderson. Can't take him at 1.7 when tie-breaks could separate them.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Lots of matches today but not much of a clear things. Besides it's the first round after all and strange things can happen. Have picked 3 matches thus far. Mikhail Youzhny > Gilles Simon. 2.04 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Going with stats here. Youzhny totally owns Simon and having seen couple of their matches I have no reason to believe Simon will be able to break his 5 match loosing streak against the Russian. Simon is coming back from injury and did very well in Washington last week, was even a set and break up against the eventual champ Nalbandian. Physically Simon ok and has got impressive set of wheels. But there's a problem which let him down against Nalbi big time. It was his serve which went missing in the 2nd set. Serve has been his Achilles heel and has been letting him down quite a lot. Youzhny can match Simon in baseline rallies but service wise the Russian clearly has got an advantage here. He was beating Simon even when the Frenchman was on top of his game and should be able to get rid of him in current conditions. Youzhny win here for me. Aravane Rezai -4.5 AH v Bojana Jovanovski. 1.79 @ Pinnacle (8/10) I think this one is misjudgment by bookies. Rezai clearly has got class here and despite the fact that she is a brainless hitter she should be able to get an easy win here. Jovanovski is a youngster who has got very little experience at this level and despite some wins recently against decent players she will be hammered today. Rezai is completely different class comparing to likes of Sania Mirza or Julie Ditty, player whom Jovanovski managed to beat in qualies. I expect Rezai to come up with goods today. Was tempted to take under 20 games which looks too much in this match-up but considering Rezai's style of play you never know. Handicap should work though. Olga Govortsova +4.5 AH v Shahar Peer. 1.94 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Peer had a terrible tournament last week in San Diego. Despite playing awful tennis she managed to get couple wins before being destroyed by Radwanska. The Israeli has dropped form and that is obvious. Govortsova is not a world beater but she knows how to play Peer, having beaten her 3 out of 4 matches they've contested. I think Govortsova has got an advantage in this one not only mentally but also playing ability wise. She's got better serve and should be able to get something out of the baseline rallies. Really can't see Peer winning this one comfortably.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Youzhny to beat Simon @ 2.010 (Pinnacle:5/10) Seems a good price for Youzhny here, leads h2h 5-0 and Simon has said that Youzhny is one of the toughest match-ups for him(youtube has similar videos for a few players,interesting listen).The odds are this way I guess because of Simon's display last week beating Roddick and pushing Nalbandian, while Youzhny hasn't played on outdoor hard court in a while. Will be interesting to see if Simon can maintain a high level this week, fitness wise I thought he looked good but his serve was a weakness. Anyway, Youzhny can hang with him from the baseline and maybe bit better on serve too.....all in all Youzhny should probably be a slight favourite here so will take this.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August I agree with you's on Youzny.... Again I'm going to start opposing French players and Simon is a choker! Youzny is a choker too very much like Jekyl and Hyde but you 2 guys have enough reasoning for why! :hope :ok

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventAzarenka - Ivanovic
Selectionunder 19.5 games
Strength10/10
Date09/08/2010
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.91
ReasoningAzarenka seems to be fully fit again after winning Stanford.And when she is in form she should smash out of form Ivanovic.Of course Ivanovic won their last match but back then Azarenka was injured and played like crap...Today it's a different story and Azarenka should take her revenge.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventYouzhny - Simon
SelectionYouzhny
Strength10/10
Date09/08/2010
Bookmaker/PriceBet365 @ 2.00
ReasoningI don't know why Simon is slight favourite in this one.Youzhny has great season so far and owns Simon 5:0 in h2h.Simon on the other hand with poor performances through the whole season and two good matches last week shouldn't change anything...I'm with Youzhny here.

A few more for me today... Toronto: Victor Hanescu vs Milos Raonic There has been a massive swing in the odds towards Raonic, to the point where you can get Hanescu in the 1.80s. I'm astonished by this. Yes, Raonic is a Canadian and the 19-year-old is supposed to have a bright future, but apart from making the final of a Challenger in Vancouver, he's done next to nothing on the circuit. He's up against a decent player in Hanescu. The Romanian is in a poor vein of form, mainly a spin-off from his acrimonious defeat to Brands at Wimbledon, but he's taken some time off and I think he'll have come here with victory in mind. Hanescu is more of a clay-courter but he can be effective on a quicker hard court and he has the Tour experience that Raonic doesn't have. I'm sure he'll look at this match and believe it is entirely winnable - Raonic will have never faced a palyer of Hanescu's stature before. I think the Romanian can get back on the winning trail here and odds of 1.75 with a bookie that covers retirements seems pretty generous to me. - Victor Hanescu at 1.75 with Boylesports (4/10) Toronto: Tommy Robredo vs Jarkko Nieminen I'm going to have to oppose Robredo here. The Spaniard is having a quite dreadful season - has lost many close matches, seems to be lacking confidence on court and has lost a lot of power from his serve and groundstrokes. Past seasons suggest he can do well on a hard court but apart from a good showing in Bastad a few weeks ago, he's been emptied out of tournaments pretty early on. Lost on the clay to Starace and then even more worryingly, Gil, and comes here with no practice on this surface. Nieminen isn't the player he once was either but the lefty came through qualifying without dropping a set and has decent form in general on hard courts. His last match was a gutsy affair against Mathieu, where he won in three, and I expect that to set him up nicely for Robredo. The Spaniard leads the H2H 4-1 but Nieminen's only win was on a hard court and the majority of matches came some years ago, when Robredo was a Top 20 player. Now, I look at a shadow of the player he once was and I feel Nieminen has a good chance of adding to his woes. - Jarkko Nieminen at 2.05 with Betdaq (3/10) :hope
yeah, i'm with you on these two atko! good analysis... i also like the dolgopolov bet but as you say it all depends on which petschner turns up...but will probably have a small wager on it!

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Philipp Petzschner to beat Alexandr Dolgopolov | 1.65@triobet! 5/10! Phillip played more tennis this year than the Ukranian, so that's why he's little bit fav today + we have that injury posibility on alex. German likes to play on hard and have a good serve, if he will cope today with it i can see him winer today. Looking at the latest form we can see that ukranian is slightly ahead of Phillip, but all in all i think Philipp will win this one today! :hope

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Mikhail Youzhny to beat Simon 1.95@triobet! 7/10! Looks like the odds droping quickly so i decided to pick it up too. there are so many prepost at this thread, so i won't repeat that. just looking at this owerall, how can Giles be named as a fav i can't understand, misha is superior fighter and have a nice record 5-0 vs frenchmen, so it has a huge impact coming itno this, just wondering with all previous 5 matches went slightly to russian, so we can expect a 3sets game today , which is 23.5 over 2.05, but i'll stick with misha's win today too.:hope

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventSafina - Vinci
Selectionover 20 games
Strength10/10
Date09/08/2010
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.89
ReasoningSafina still playing poor tennis after her come back and it's always worth opposing her.Maybe Vinci will not win this one but she can give her really tough time.So far they played four times against each other and in tow of these matches there were 3 sets.Over 20 looks good in this one.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August :hopeSimon @ 1.87 sportingbet 6/10 Im going to stick my neck out on a limb here and back the frenchman I really do enjoy watching this game, and the pace he can generate especially of the backhand considering his very slight frame, he showed good performance last week and had winner nalbandian on the ropes, confidence is definitely the key after spending time out of the game for simon and i believe he has just found it. Many guys here saying Youzhny has great form, but from the matches ive seen kiefer one springs to mind he looked very average im going to forget about the h2h record and have belief simon wins today

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August Dinara Safina vs Roberta Vinci. Over 20 games. 1.92 @ 188bet (8/10) Safina a bit overrated in this one. She is still miles away from her best form. Vinci has never managed to beat Safina in 4 attempts though has taken Safina to 3 sets on couple occasions. Interestingly enough Safina they met in the same event last year and Safina came out on top in 3 sets. The Russian is not in the form which would allow her to get an easy win but Vinci will have what it takes to avoid crushing. 20 games is not that much considering that Safina is involved. She has had lots of overs lately and I'm expecting another one today.

Re: Tennis - 9-15 August raonic to beat hanescu hanescu has a dismal record on hard court, he is also in a terrible form, losing in 1st round on all tour after the wimbledon. raonic is not any better , but at least he's much fitter than hanescu, younger, faster . last but not least, home support. :clap

Chela already 5-0 up in the 1st set, was a great price @5/4 he did go as high as 7/4 Falla looks dreadfull and I mean really awful as if he's never played tennis in his life
Maybe he's just warming up. You never know with these South American guys...