Golf: 2010 Open Championship

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Just the one more for me this week. 0.5pts ew B.Curtis to win The Open 125/1 Paddy Power (7 places) Ben Curtis can be considered a big price here I think. A previous winner as an unknown but he's added a 7th and 8th place finish to that so he is a rare thing in being an American who loves to get over here for the Open Championship. If we think Thursday afternoon and Friday morning are the ideal tee times, and I do agree with that, then Curtis has got this covered and he might just be running into a decent bit of form. He hung in at the US Open to finish in a tie for 14th and was in the top 15 at the Travelers too which would've been better but for a poor last round. He's won this tournament so he knows what needs doing, any wind won't be a detriment to him and at a 3 figure price I expect a decent showing from the former champion this week.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship

Ted, i wish you luck with the McIlroy bet but i see no value at 16's, i would want 33's to be honest, only that you comment that its about time he won a major, but he has only been pro for about 3 years, so he has his whole career ahead of him i have backed him for 1st rd leader as i think he can hit a decent 1st rd Best of luck mate and hope you dont mind the comments. If he does hit a decent score tomorrow, he could be much shorter come Friday
Yeah he most likely has a long career in front of him and time is on his side, as i have said before he's young he needs time he's this and he's that but now IMO i feel he now needs to go up a gear . There has been talk of him being the new tiger wood etc etc well with the time he has had under his belt he needs to be in with chances on the last days of majors etc to get any where near warranting those comments imo, but he is well capable of it and can achieve it. I think McDowells win for want of better word is the kick up the ass he needs to focus even harder and achieve his goals. Through no fault of his own he has already got a lot of what McDowell is now only getting ie extra publicity, advertising, job offers etc he's got a lot without winning a major. As for the price before i looked at any betting i had 20's in my head but getting 7 places for the place part of the bet i'm happy enough to settle for 16's i agree its not overly generous but i'm happy to settle with it as i think he will be a big threat this weekend. Best of luck with your bets Bowlesy and to all:ok

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Really surprised Harrington hasnt been mentioned anywhere, seems to be the forgotten man at the moment. Apart from the odd shock the majors are usually well contested by those with experience and can handle the pressure, Harrington has been tweaking things a little this season but still has the class and with the conditions forecasted it will take a player who has that experience to prevail. Outright betting is poor value so i'm on the other markets for two bets involving Harrington. Ian Poulter continues to challenge in the big tournamnets, soemhow doesnt seem too bothered in the lesser events, maybe thats harsh but definitely sets out his stall for the Majors, with doubts around Westwoods injury and Justin Rose being poor value I reckon the 6/1 on offer for best English player looks too big. Top South African market looks weak this year with only Els and Schwartzel looking consistant enough, Els looks the safest option here at the prices. Top USA market is obviously headed by Woods and Mickelson so there is a bit of value around, JB Holmes should suit this track and at 50/1 is worth a small punt. The Aussie market has Adam Scott high up but just dont like this guy in the big tournaments, always lets himself down and much prefer Ogilvy around here, does look a two horse race though. The 11/10 about the cut being 148 or more looks interesting with Bet 365, +4 would be a fair score if the weather is as bad as it was today 30pts Invested Harrington ~ 5pts Top Irish Player (5/2 Skybet) Harrington ~ 2pts EW Top GB/Irish Player (15/2 Betfred, EW 1234) Poulter ~ 3pts EW Top English Player (6/1 Stan James EW 123) Els ~ 5pts Top South African (11/8 Skybet) Ogilvy ~ 4pts Top Aussie (7/2 Paddy Power) JB Holmes ~ 1pt EW Top USA Player (50/1 Stan James EW 1234) Cut Score ~ 4pts 148 or higher (11/10 Bet365)

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Can someone explain to me what it means to bet on a player (each way) to win an event ? Win/place/show or something like that ? I had never seen such a thing till I started paying attention to the tipsters .. Thanks

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Tiger Woods @ 7.2 Betfair Tiger's record here is simply imperious. Though he hasn't performed too well since his return from the scandal, he has still achieved good results in both majors this year and I feel that this is the perfect scenario for Woods to officially mark his return. Tournament H2H - Els over Mickelson @ 1.80 Centrebet These two have played 15 opens together and the record currently reads 15-0 to Els. Though you should never discount leftie the fact is Els is better suited to this type of golf and the price here is very strong. Also had a small, cheeky little bet on Faldo top 10 (75 Betfair, but 101 at some places). Things often come in threes, and the last two years we've had an oldie almost do the impossible, so some might say it's inevitable that another will figure him!

Tournament H2H - Els over Mickelson @ 1.80 Centrebet These two have played 15 opens together and the record currently reads 15-0 to Els. Though you should never discount leftie the fact is Els is better suited to this type of golf and the price here is very strong. Also had a small, cheeky little bet on Faldo top 10 (75 Betfair, but 101 at some places). Things often come in threes, and the last two years we've had an oldie almost do the impossible, so some might say it's inevitable that another will figure him!
I have just put this same bet on earlier tonight on betfair at near enough the same odds. I have been doing this bet for the last few years at the open championships as my main bet, and did post up his record a couple of years back. Hopefully Els will continue the great record over Mickelson :hope. Just found some of my post from a couple years back to show his record and have edited to show previous head to head at St Andrews. Below is the summary of the overall positions/ shots between the two:- 1991- Mickelson as amateur, no Els 1992- Els tied 5th, no Mickelson 1993- Els tied 5th, no Mickelson 1994- Mickelson missed cut 1995- Els 5 shots ahead of Mickelson (St Andrews) 1996- Els 3rd overall, 11 shots ahead 1997- Els 2 shots ahead of Mickelson 1998- Els 16 shots ahead of Mickelson 1999- Mickelson missed cut 2000- Els 4 shots ahead of Mickelson (St Andrews) 2001- Els 7 shots ahead of Mickelson 2002- Els won overall, 12 shots ahead of Mickelson 2003- Els 7 shots ahead of Mickelson 2004- Els 2nd overall, Mickelson 3rd overall, 1 shot ahead 2005- Els 3 shots ahead of Mickelson (St Andrews) 2006- Els 3rd overall, 8 shots ahead of Mickelson 2007- Els 4th overall, Mickelson missed cut

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship T.Woods to win The Open @ 6/1 Paddy Power (7 places, e/w) Well I think Tiger can bounce back here I'm pretty sure he is going to anytime soon and if he does then its likely to be at a place he likes, if he can get going early then I can see Tiger shooting away from the field. H.Mahan to win The Open 150/1 Skybet (6 places, e/w) Mahan's a golfer I've always followed, he has been struggling of late but I still think he can win a major one day. The price of a 150/1 looks rather large so a small each-way interest. P.Harrington Top 20 Finish @ 2.22 Harrington has not been firing lately but he has played well in majors before and in tough conditions you'll need some solid experience, I think he'll have a decent four days of gold and make the top 20. G.McDowell Top 20 Finish @ 2.60 Time for McDowell to contiune his good form after winning the US Open, he'll be eager to get the buzz he got when winning the U.S Open only this time its nearer to home, he now has some experience and another one who I think will go well this week. S.Stricker Top 20 Finish @ 2.42 Steve Stricker has finished in the top 20 in two of his last three visits here, he comes here with confidence after winning on the tour last weekend. All Betfair

Finally matched @ 7.8 on betfair for Tiger after the £10 grand available on the lay side dissapears in one go. Have lumped on, as i think his price may have peaked before the start, and that it has a great chance of being an excellent trading opportunity, where i would probably trade out at around 5.00 A steady start wouldn't see to much movement in the odds, but anything better than that and the odds are only going one way. One thing i am confident of is that he will be right in the mix this week on a course he loves and has totally dominated on in the last two championships here. Lets not forget that he's still finished T4 in the last two majors at Augusta and Pebble beach and thats after all the troubles he has been through. He says he's hitting the ball well, and even though he has changed putter for the first time in 11 years because of the slow greens, you have to trust him with that decision, and i'm more than happy with his preperation this week. We don't need him to win it, but my tip is he should be close enough to the leaders at some point in the tournament, for his odds to at least half from the current price, by which time i will have long traded out:hope
He's looking good and would be a lot shorter if it wasn't for Mcilroys heroics. Still, happy to have traded @ 4.5

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship "I think theres a chance he will come out of the blocks all guns firing so a little e/w bet (5 places PP) to be 1st round leader at 25's is in order. " Get in my son:nana...now go on and win it and make my Christmas come early. Awesome stuff by the lad:notworthy Well done Bowlesy :clap

Can someone explain to me what it means to bet on a player (each way) to win an event ? Win/place/show or something like that ? I had never seen such a thing till I started paying attention to the tipsters .. Thanks
You pay double the stake but get a percentage of the odds if they place. If a player at 80/1 is 3rd with Paddy power they pay 1/4 the odds for top 7 places, so they pay out at 20/1... If a player at 100/1 is 8th with Boyles they pay 1/4 the odds for top 8 places, so they pay out at 25/1... Some pay between 5-8 'places' (top 8 finishers etc) some pay 1/3 odds some 1/4 odds, check with bookie... Hope that helps.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Thanks guys, great to see such an excellent round of 63 from the young irishman, think he still may struggle to keep it going for 4 rounds but you never know Thats profit made for me now with no worries, my treble was unlucky with 2 out of 3 winning and i gambled on Jimenenz beating westwood which didnt happen :cow 2 years running now for 1st rd leader:nana

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship P.Casey, 1pt EW to win the Open (50/1 Betfred 1/4 odds 1-5) Still a quality player and someone I think can stay calm when the conditions start to really bite. Had a solid opener of 69 with 5 birdies & 2 bogeys. I think the pack will close up tomorrow as the wind gets up and therefore 50's on a player of this class is too big. If he hits another 69, he'll be right in the mix. Looking at the forecast tomorrow, the winds increases steadily through the day so a tee time of 8.20 is a big plus. M.Kaymer, 1pt EW to win the Open (66/1 Betfred 1/4 odds 1-5) A real up and coming force in world golf makes 66's an outrageous price. In the worst of the weather today, hit a 69 with 3 birdies but, more importantly, a bogey free round. Very calm player, has shown form at this track before and also has an early tee time tomorrow. Another who, if he can shoot another 69 in conditions that will be easier for him than today, will be half the odds come tomorrow evening.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship One more outright for me after day 1. 0.5pts ew R.Karlsson to win The Open 80/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) Robert Karlsson is a huge price for me here. He shot 69 to lie 6 off the lead but he's got a perfect tee time tomorrow when he hits his opening shot at 7.47am. That'll give him plenty of time to get round before the wind gets up later in the afternoon. Most of the leaders will be out after lunch so as Russ says I expect a heavily bunched up leaderboard by this time tomorrow. If Karlsson can just shoot 70 he won't be too far off the lead. He likes it round here having shot two good rounds here on the final day of the Dunhill Links in the past in winning the tournament and coming 3rd. He won in Qatar this year so he's been in the winners enclosure in 2010 albeit at the start of 2010 and he was T7th in this in his last appearance 2 years ago which shows Links golf doesn't trouble him. At this price given his solid 1st round I'm more than happy to take the big Swede here.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship a couple of prices off betfair that i think i could have a bit of fun with Darren Clarke 340.0 1pt win The putter didnt shin today with a massive 32 putts in his 2 under par 70. Take 4 off that tomorrow and he is capable of hitting a 66 if he starts to putt ok. Already backed him to win and at -2 is still in with a chance Robert Rock 380.0 1pt win After shooting 68 today, cant understand the price when others are down as low as 100/1 and Robert is still at a massive price. Only 1 bogey today and 30 putts. Also hit 15 out of 16 fairways which is one of the best stats today.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Well done Bowles&Tedthewolf,the Mcilroy 1st round bet was a corker,:claptime will tell if he can do what the Pro,s so badly struggle to do "follow a Hot Round with a Low Round"! Kev! i like your style thinking outside the box with Karllson,I have backed him aswell but it is forecast to persist down am and clear for 2pm albeit as i said earlier forecast for strengthening winds. I grabbed the 22,s on offer for Schwartzel to top the South african pile,the fact he went out in 40 and came back in 31 appeals greatly,given the test that the back nine holds. I also grabbed the 38,s on Ross Fisher to win "without Tiger"! Considering there was a 30pt swing between Fisher&Westwood for 1 stroke with 54 holes to play the price was too big to ignore. I hope some of you grabbed the 3/1 on Jeong Jin for Top Amateur,behind Rhys Davies this boy is the best putter I have seen for a long time! He now trades at 4/6,probably still good value if you have balls for it. All prices Betfair!

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship I did Calcavecchia at 100/1 before the wind started blowing, looking at Norman 2 years ago and Watson last year, now into 33/1 Ooostehuizen has been very very fortunate indeed to have the best conditions on both days, obviously he will at some stage have to play in bad weather but he is a long way in front, as I type now you have Casey, Westwood tied for 3rd, with a whole heap of others at -5, -4 and -3.. Louis is going to have to have a complete nightmare not to win this now, but as shown with Rory today it can happen

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Looking at adding to my 2 outright bets so far with another 2: MA.Jimenez, 1pt EW to win the Open (33/1 Skybet 1/4 odds 1-4) Conditions look like they will be pretty much of a muchness tomorrow so I'm looking at players who already have a score. Anyone at -5 or better interests me but I also want an experienced player that will be able to go well in the conditions. The Spaniard looks to be one such player. A cracking player already in the winners enclosure this term and buoyed by a super round today, I think he'll be thereabouts coming Sunday afternoon. 33's is too big if we assume LO can't hold it together and will faulter like Rory did today. In essence, he'd be 33's and 2 off the lead. Overpriced to me. S.O'Hair, 1pt EW to win the Open (33/1 Boylesports 1/4 odds 1-4) Basically, the same comments apply as what I've posted above. Add to that I'm a massive fan on the American, the price again looks crazy. Had a super opening round and then went out in the very worst of the conditions today but remarkably stayed in touch, including a birdie on 17. He will take massive heart from what he's achieved today and, again, I'm happy to take this bet at big odds.

bowelsy take a bow son' date='[/quote'] Without wanting to put a dampener on things, Bowlesy listed at least SEVEN candidates as 1st round leader and several more as outright winners. Yes, a 25/1 winner is always nice but hardly deserves the such back patting in these circumstances IMO. McIlroy was second fav for the tournament ffs! Hardly inspired tipping. If you really want a good price bet....get on Ian Poulter E/W now at 100/1 whilst he sits 12 behind the leader. Expect fireworks today.

Without wanting to put a dampener on things, Bowlesy listed at least SEVEN candidates as 1st round leader and several more as outright winners. Yes, a 25/1 winner is always nice but hardly deserves the such back patting in these circumstances IMO. McIlroy was second fav for the tournament ffs! Hardly inspired tipping. If you really want a good price bet....get on Ian Poulter E/W now at 100/1 whilst he sits 12 behind the leader. Expect fireworks today.
Very harsh infact uncalled for:@

Without wanting to put a dampener on things, Bowlesy listed at least SEVEN candidates as 1st round leader and several more as outright winners. Yes, a 25/1 winner is always nice but hardly deserves the such back patting in these circumstances IMO. McIlroy was second fav for the tournament ffs! Hardly inspired tipping. If you really want a good price bet....get on Ian Poulter E/W now at 100/1 whilst he sits 12 behind the leader. Expect fireworks today.
To reply mate, with 150 starters, picking 7 players to win the 1st round, gives me less than 5% chnace of winning, especially with ties etc you can end up having the odds halved etc. The skill is finding the value and McIlroy was 25/1 which for a player that has hit 9 rounds in the 60's on the trot at St Andrews stood out for me. Last year i picked out Jimemnez at 100/1 and posted on here To pick 1 player out of 150 would be an unbelievable achievement as some did with Cink last year at 125/1 Why shouldn't people congratulate a winner, you seem to think picking McIlroy was easy yet did you back him? GL with your poulter bet