Golf: 2010 Open Championship

well the most eagerly anticipated golfing event (except for the Ryder Cup) is nearly upon us again, and i will be lloking to follow up my win with Stewart Cink (at 125-1) last year with another good week i'm not the biggest golfing fan but enjoy a bet on it and like the rest of you want to give the bookies a real bloody nose come next sunday tea time. i will start with four outrights IAN POULTER 28/1 this is a very tasty price Poults has a good open record and should have won a few years back when he played an amazing final round only to lose out to Harrington, i am a great believer in horses for courses when it comes to golf, links play is suited to certain players more than others, and this definately suits Ian, on his day his putting is the best and on links greens this will be vital, he is coming of age in majors and has to be close to winning one very soon and i can't see why it can't be at the Old Course. last time tied 11th. DARREN CLARKE again a decent open record and the big irishman always seems to play well around this time of the year (the Scottish open and the Open ) he regularly sees himself in the mix for both events. while we have to worry about his recent poor form, his body language is looking far better and he knows his way around a links having been brought up in Ireland, i think Darren is a worthwhile EW bet for next weekend and a more popular winner ther could'nt be last time at St Andrews he was tied 15th. TIM CLARK 50/1. i am agreat fan of Timmy always have been and he has been close to majors on previous occassions (us open in particluar) he has the game hits the ball low, a great attribute for links golf and he surely has to be a serious contender if the wind gets up.i just think that 50s is a geat price and i'm on that EW his finish last time at St Andrews was 23rd. SCOTT VERPLANK 100/1 now i'm not a great expert on scott but i do know that he always seems to feature on leaderboards on the last day of majors he is vastly experienced and i reckon that 100/1 should not put anyone off (remeber Cink was 125s!) last time round the old course he finished 23rd

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP 2010 welcome back theoldmaster :ok always the best golf tournament for me and wil be spending the next 3 days studying for this as usual, interested in some big price outright bets and also the 1st rd leader bet (Jimenez at 100/1 last year) what you must remember though is that you can bet everyday with some comfort on the outright market as so many things change. The woods factor is interesting, he has won the last 2 opens held here is 2000 and 2005 by large margins. He loves it here and have heard from members that he is just simply awesome at picking the right spots on the golf course. His preparation this time is obviously impacted by his well publicised affairs. He was in Ireland last week but flew back home to florida to see his kids, i am not sure when he arrives but he is a few days short of this prep IMO which may let a few in. Odds of around 5/1 are double what you would normally get on Woods and i think a number of people will cover him in their bets just in case.

Re: THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP 2010 2005 result - Top 20 and ties

fred couples profile style="CURSOR: pointer" sizset="54" sizcache="4">
1 Tiger WOODS USA 66 67 71 70 274
2 Colin MONTGOMERIESCO71667072279
3 >Fred COUPLES USA 68 71 73 68 280
3 Jose Maria OLAZABALESP68706874280
5 Michael CAMPBELL NZL 69 72 68 72 281
5 Sergio GARCIAESP70696973281
5 Retief GOOSEN RSA 68 73 66 74 281
5 Bernhard LANGERGER71697071281
5 Geoff OGILVY AUS 71 74 67 69 281
5 Vijay SINGHFIJ69697172281
11 Nick FALDO ENG 74 69 70 69 282
11 Graeme McDOWELLNIR69727467282
11 Kenny PERRY USA 71 71 68 72 282
11 Ian POULTERENG70727169282
15 Darren CLARKE NIR 73 70 67 73 283
15 John DALYUSA71697073283
15 David FROST RSA 77 65 72 69 283
15 Mark HENSBYAUS67776970283
15 Trevor IMMELMAN RSA 68 70 73 72 283
15 Sean O'HAIRUSA73677073283
15 Nick O'HERN AUS 73 69 71 70 283
15 Lloyd SALTMAN (A)SCO73716871283

Re: THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP 2010 I'll be looking to back Stephen Gallacher. He has had a fantastic season thus far and St Andrews is a course he knows well. Long off the tee (although that is not always necessary round there) his putting has improved so much this season on last. He has proved that he is not fazed by playing with the big name players and he'll be coming into the tournament off another good showing at the Scottish Open at Loch Lomond. Paul Lawrie could be a decent back to lay opportunity. He often starts tournaments well before fading over the weekend, and St Andrews is a course he has won over in the past when winning the Dunhill links. He has a great touch around the greens and links golf is second nature to him. if the weather takes a turn for the worse he's one of the few players that actually seems to perform better in the testing conditions. Gallacher can be backed at 25/1 for a top 5 finish on betfair.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship I'm currently looking at two players who have length of the tee who may not be dead accurate with the driver but will be able to go past the fairway bunkers to leave hopefully a chip and a putt I have been waiting for this tournament to come around for Angel Cabrera. He pulls it out for normally one tournament per year as I have convinced myself he is going to have a real go at this. Two years ago he won the US Open, last year the Masters and has done nothing this year. I believe he does have the ability to play links golf as playing in Argentina is notoriously windy, he doubtedly has the talent as a two time major winner and at 80/1 I am more than happy to try and pay for the summer holiday with this one. The other is JB Holmes. He has improved his short game hugely this year and with his length of the tee should leave himself short irons at most holes. Currently trading 100/1+. Smaller interest than Cabrera though.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship some more outrights for me. STEVE STRICKER 33/1. this is an unbelievable price for Stricker two top ten finishes in last three years suggests he is quite at ho,e on links . he is ranked No.4 in the world and with Westwood carrying and injuery and Woods indiffernt form there is a case for saying he is in the top two playesr at the event. his win at the JD will have given him a boost and proves he is in form and i am agreat believer that golfers go through purple patches of two to three weeks spells, during the tour i'm taking him at theses odds which seem too long for me. MARTIN LAIRD 175/1 the Scot based in the US and playing well on thier tour is well used to links golf, he knows this course well will have the local crowd backing and he is my long shot for success take him EW. ANGEL CABRERA 90/1 a two times major champion, who when he hits a ball it stays hit, also is very straight , can you think of better credentials for being open champ? no, me neither, his putting will have to be at its best but the wide fairways invite him to smash down the middle and i think often these majors bring out the best in the big Argentine. ERNIE ELS 16/1 surely a no brainer his open record is stupifyingly impressive winner and several top 5 placings make this a no brainer, he has the lot to win it here we all know that if he is in the groove then he coulsd be unbeatable, his open record standsup along with Woods,

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Going with 3 experienced players in the top twenty market to start with. Any one from three for a nice profit hopefully. Vijay Singh Top 20 finish @ 4/1 PP Not the player he once was and i don't really fancy him to win it, but he's still a class act and i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the odds on offer here. After having a nightmare couple of months in April and May due mainly to back problems, he seems to be back playing well making 5 out 5 cuts, with finishes of T13 and T9 in his last two tournaments. His record at the old course in open championships is nothing short of sublime, with him never being out of the top 12 in his four starts here since his first in 1990. That stat alone, nevermind the odds and his recent upturn in form, makes this bet at 4/1 a no brainer for me. Darren Clarke Top 20 finish @ 4/1 Tote Should be a popular pick this week in various markets. Showed winning the JP Mcmanus pro-am in Ireland was no flash in the pan by following it up with his best performance in years last week at Loch Lomond in finishing 2nd extremely tough conditions and gaining the last open spot. That is as good a second prize as you could wish for and after a hard couple of years the smile is back on Clarke's face and he really seems to be enjoying his golf again. He finished T15 here back in 05 and T7 in 2000 and he also has some great finishes in the Dunhill links. A great links player who knows the course inside out, should he carry some of his recent good form into this week, then the 4/1 on offer could look pretty big come the weekend. Trevor Immelman Top 20 finish @ 13/2 PP Blighted by serious illness and injuries over the last few years, but class is permanent and after a great finish last week at Loch Lomond in tough conditions he may just be about to turn the corner and in his own words 'He was happy with his weeks preperation' before the big one. I like the fact that he has never missed a cut in an open championship in 6 starts, not many golfers could say the same and he has finished in the top 20 in 2 of his last 3 opens, one of these being at the St Andrews in 2005. He also has some solid performances in the Dunhill, including a T6 so i'm confident he has enough experience of the course and can handle the potential tough conditions this week. It's just a matter of if his game is in good enough shape, but for a man of his class i'm willing to have a punt on him building on last weeks performance @ 13/2. (price has shortened with a couple of firms bringing him in a point since last night, so it will be interesting to see if there is any more support for him)

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship unbelievable obviuosly Stanley James does'nt read this thread look at this FIRST ROUND LEADER M A JIMENEZ 80/1 after what has been posted here earlier that is a ludicrous price, top 10 three times in last four opens after first round, of those three top tens a 7th, a tie for 2nd and once he has led, this has to snapped up surely and each way too.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship These are my notes from running through the list of players and past performances as i dismiss all other form in favour of lnks golf. My final bets will come from this list with the 1st round market playing a key part of my stakes this year. Will post final bets wednesday night (all prices with Paddy Power). The Open A Wall capable of good 1st round

T Watson 55th & 41st here before, 2nd last year in play off 200/1 to win,

Chris Wood 3rd & 5th in only 2 opens 70/1 to win,

L Donald made last 4 cuts after missing 5 previous, 5th last year 40/1 to win

M Goggin capable of good 1st round 175/1 for 1st rd leader

R Goosen made cut every year since 1999 45/1 to win E Els made cut every year since 1992, 11 top 10’s in 17 years 18/1 to win M Jimenez lowest 1st rd leader last year with a 64 100/1 1st round leader

F Molinari in good form 75/1 to win A Romero 3 top 20’s in 4 years

J Rose capable of a good 1st round 28/1 1st round leader

C Villegas 66 1st rd last year 50/1 1st round leader

Boo Weekly 67&68 1st rd last 3 years

P Hanson made last 4 cuts 110/1 to win

K Kuboya 65 1st rd last year

G Mcdowell 4 1st rounds in 60’s in last 5 years 33/1 1st round leader

Garcia 5th here in 2005 80/1 to win T Levet good 1st round 200/1 1st round leader

McGinley capable of good 1st round

P Casey missed cut here in 2005 R McIlroy capable of good 1st round 25/1 1st round leader

D Clarke 7th and 15th here in 2000/5 90/1 to win

T Woods 66 & 67 opening rounds here in 2000/5 11/2 to win

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Finally matched @ 7.8 on betfair for Tiger after the £10 grand available on the lay side dissapears in one go. Have lumped on, as i think his price may have peaked before the start, and that it has a great chance of being an excellent trading opportunity, where i would probably trade out at around 5.00 A steady start wouldn't see to much movement in the odds, but anything better than that and the odds are only going one way. One thing i am confident of is that he will be right in the mix this week on a course he loves and has totally dominated on in the last two championships here. Lets not forget that he's still finished T4 in the last two majors at Augusta and Pebble beach and thats after all the troubles he has been through. He says he's hitting the ball well, and even though he has changed putter for the first time in 11 years because of the slow greens, you have to trust him with that decision, and i'm more than happy with his preperation this week. We don't need him to win it, but my tip is he should be close enough to the leaders at some point in the tournament, for his odds to at least half from the current price, by which time i will have long traded out:hope

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Well hello all,been a while. big one this week hopefully pull it out of the bag. Rory Mcilroy e/w @18 to1 PP 1-7 PAYOUT 3pts McIlroy has never scored more than 69 here in all his competitive outings thus far. A top five finish last time out in The French Open two weeks ago and a little inside info from a good source says that this has been his main goal for the last two years, workin upto this one. Luke Donals e/w @ 40TO1 PP 1pt Won Madrid Masters, 2nd at BMW and 3rd at Welsh open. He also has 4 top10's on us tour.Good putter and if it gets hot he'll be there or there abouts Francesco Molinari e/w @70 to1 PP 1pt One of the best on tour for ball striking and length, not a great putter but had a real good week in scotland and didnt hole a thing all week. Another good prospect if a few drop for him Phil Mickelson e/w @20 to 1 PP 2pts Incredible odds for big Phil, didnt play too bad at scotland bar the 9 on a hole on fri, he's aggresive, long and will have added incentive to become No1. Trev Immelman e/w 150 to 1 PP 1pt A tremdous talent and has wona major already, starting to show some consistent form again and willin to take a punt on him at massive odds to get inside the top 7

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship 2 early doors for me as I'm taking 2 British players whose odds may come in. Luckily they are both best price with Paddy Power who go 7 places. 1pt ew G.McDowell to win The Open 33/1 Paddy Power In many ways GMac won one major too soon for me as I've had him on my shortlist for this for a while now. Still having won the US Open he knows he can take one of these down and in theory although it doesn't happen too often there's no reason why because McDowell won the US Open that he can't win this too. He actually won his last event prior to the US Open so although he wouldn't be going back to back here he has done it before. He played fairly well in the Scottish Open last week too. The Ulsterman was brought up on links golf and that's got to stand him in good stead this week, particularly if the wind gets up a bit. McDowell's been playing some good golf for a while now and seems to like the course. He has been a runner up in the Dunhill links which involves 2 rounds around here and he was T11 5 years ago when this course was last used for the Championship. GMac's probably ten times the player he was back then and although he'll have plenty of attention on him I really think he'll be in the mix come Sunday this week. 0.5pts ew R.Fisher to win The Open 50/1 Paddy Power Going back to an old favourite of mine here in many ways. Ross Fisher has won me quite a few quid over the last couple of years and there's no reason he can't win me a few more this week. He was runner up in the Dunhill Links in 2008 so links golf isn't alien to him and he looked all over the winner after 54 holes at Turnberry last year before succumbing in the final round. Fisher was in the top 10 last week and also at Wentworth and T11 in Dubai earlier in the year so he still plays the big events well and if the short stick works for him this week then I expect the Englishman to have a very good tilt at the title at the home of golf.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Have just backed Woods EW 7/1 with Hills. Calibre and quality is obvious, likes the course and as there are doubts over him mentally we are getting this price. Could look very big soon. Good thread and ideas. Definately up for following a few and looking forward to the golf

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Afternoon all I've gone for 3 top 10 singles with Extrabet: McIlroy (9/4), Harrington (9/4) and Rose (11/4) - any 1 of these 3 comes in top 10 and ties then guaranteed a (small) profit; 2 or more then happy days. For me this is Harrington's tournament with rough conditions expected. Small bets on Peter Hanson and Shane Lowry for EW finishes as they'll both handle the conditions

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Ian Poulter for me @ 33/1 (Various). He been talking the talk for years but it's now time to walk the walk. Definately capable of a Major and I make The Open this year his biggest chance to date. If he can control his temperament over the four days he'll go close. Good luck all.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship I love the open and, like everybody else, especially when it heads back to St Andrews. Hopefully we'll some drama and a bit of money at the end of it! As already mentioned previously I've taken Vijay Singh @ 100s (great record and played well last time out) and Chris Wood @ 80s (two opens, two top 5s, won at st andrews as a junior) a while back which I'm happy with as I think they'll both make me proud (!) but I have a few more to add to the portfolio! First Round Leader Trevor Immelman @ 126 ew BoyleSports 6 Places Immelman was lying 3rd here in 2005 after both the first and second rounds. He played well last week at the Scottish Open for a top 15 and has an early tee time which - according to the weather forecast - should be extremely beneficial. Outright Justin Rose @ 23 outright ExtraBet This is kind of a saver. I really fancy Rose for this for some reason and have even taken the 50s on offer for him to be Sports Personality of the Year. He has proven he can play links golf with his 4th as an amateur and two top 15s in the last 3 years. Will want to make up for missing the US Open and has won 2 of his last 3 tournaments (and it should have been all 3, but Englands loss against Germany led to a capitulation for him!!). He is clearly playing fantastically well and also has a good record at the Dunhill Links where the Old Course is used. An obvious play but at 22s is just about fair for the outright saver. Ian Poulter @ 34 ew Coral 5 places, 1/3 ew pay Poulter started looking a bit better last time out at the Open de France but had to pull out of the Scottish Open with an insect bite that turned nasty. I think this could be a blessing in disguise. He can play links golf (2nd a couple of years ago at the open), has gained some big time experience (the open where he finished 2nd, this years masters), and loves St Andrews (played his first ever open here in 2000, finished 11th here 2005 when he wasnt nearly as good a player as he is now, and has finished 3rd in the dunhill links tourney). He has the required dynamite short game and is arguably the best putter in the game so should be able to deal with the 150ft lag putts that will no doubt occur on these shared greens. A fair price for a top 10 player. Ross Fisher @ 46 ew 8 places BoyleSports Ross Fisher could have won the grand slam last year, he was playing supremely well and in reality should have won the open - if it wasnt for one disastrous hole he wouldve probably done it. He has won a links tournament before in Holland on the European Tour and while this year hasnt been great, he seems to be coming in to form at the perfect time. In his last 6 tournaments he has 3 top 10s, but also 3 MCs, so its feast or famine for him at the moment but he seems to have the game for St Andrews. He has also played well at the dunhill links champs previously (2nd 2008) so knows how to play the course and his big driving will be rewarded on this course. Stephen Gallacher @ 126 ew Bet365 6 places/Top 20 @ 5 Extrabet A home hope and one of the form players on the European Tour - 4 top 6 finishes in his last 6 tournaments. His putting isnt great but his tee-to-green play is as good as anyone out there and he has previously won the dunhill links so knows how to play the course. With the home support and the incentive that if he does well here he'll be able to go his cousins wedding (Kirsty Gallacher), he should be geed up and confident. Simon Khan @ 401 ew ToteSport 6 places/Top 20 @ 13 ToteSport Do I honestly believe Khan will do much here? Not really but this is a ridiculous price. He openly admits to loving the course and feeling it suits his eye. The last time we saw him on the BBC just a few weeks ago he was accepting a big fat cheque having won @ Wentworth - another big event. So 6 weeks on everyone has all but forgotten about him and he's out at 400s again. Brilliant. This is a guy who actually was in with a great should to get a place in 2005 as he played his 1st, 2nd and 4th rounds in 7 under - sadly one bad round took it away from him but it was no disgrace and it showed he can play the course. Additionally, he has a number of top 20 finishes in the dunhill links champs so again shows he can play the course. Will he win it? Highly unlikely. But the price is ridiculous! GL:hope

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Just one more to add because I think this is a silly price. John Daly Top 20 @ 11 Extrabet Ok so he hasnt exactly pulled up any trees recently but after 3 rounds at Loch Lomand last week he was lying 9th and ended up finishing just outside the top 20 in 26th place; however, its his record here that stands out. 3 visits to St Andrews has led to 1 major victory in 1995, a 15th in 2005 and a disappointing MC in 2000. So he's made the top twice out of three attempts (including a victory), it will reward his gung ho driving which takes the bunkers out of play, and he looked like he was playing pretty solid last week. All in all it makes double figures to finish in the top 20 look a little too big. GL:hope

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship The Open Bets to date Outright - Chris Wood 90.0 Betfair 2.5pts win 3rd & 5th in last 2 opens. Hits the ball long and straight, seems to have the right game for links courses, price is possibly a back to lay price

Outright - Luke Donald 40/1 Paddy Power 1.5pts win made last 4 cuts after missing 5 previous, 5th last year. Done well on Euro tour this season after switching from America with an eye on a Ryder Cup place 1st round leader - Matthew Goggin 175/1 Paddy Power 1.5pts win capable of good 1st round, will not be able t make a challenge but has shown before a round in the 60's is possible in this tournament Outright - Ernie Els 20/1 Sporting bet 2.5pts win made cut every year since 1992, 11 top 10’s in 17 years. Hit form again this year, needs to avoid those risky shots and play to par 1st round leader - M Angel-Jimenez 100/1 Paddy power 1pt win lowest 1st rd leader last year with a 64, bookies taking a risk again Outright - F Molinari 75/1 Paddy Power 1pt win Italian in good form, jt 3rd in the scotish open when overshadowed by his brother last week 1st round leader - Justin Rose 28/1 1pt win capable of a good 1st round and in greta form on the USPGA tour after 2 victories in last month 1st round leader - C Villegas 50/1 Paddy power 1pt win 66 1st rd last year. enigmatic player capable of leading this major at some point Ouright - P Hanson 110/1 Paddy Power 1pt win Made last 4 cuts in the Open, back to lay price 1st round leader - G McDowell 33/1 Paddy power 1.5pts win 4 1st rounds in 60’s in last 5 years, recent US Open win shows the quality he can deliver Outright - S Garcia 90/1 Sporting bet - 1pt win 5th here in 2005, dropped in the rankings but will be keen to show he can still mix it with the best, unlikely to make Ryder cup so will be keen to win 1st round leader - T Levet 200/1 Paddy Power 0.5pts win good 1st round capable from the frenchman in these conditions 1st round leader - R Mcilroy 25/1 Sporting bet 2pts win I prefer to follow Rory over the early rounds rather than the entire tournament Outright - Darren Clarke 100/1 Sporting bet 1pt win 7th and 15th here in 2000 & 2005. Superb 4 days at Loch Lomond last week Outright - Tiger Woods 6/1 Sporting bet 5pts win 66 & 67 opening rounds here in 2000/5, won by large margins in both years, 6/1 could prove to be a big price if he is in the zone for this

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship

Hi Guys! Hope you have been cleaning up with the Bookies,i have not posted for a while due to playing far too much golf,however I have still been having a flutter with no big noteable winners.This week that will change "Aye Right"! I have studied everything from course form to likely weather patterns,here is the result. Charles Schwartzel @ 90/1 outright,Do i think he is a likely winner no but a possible never the less,he has matured beyond his years with two wins and a great 2nd in the World Matchplay against Els.He will cope as well as the irish in the wind,South Africans at the top end are generally good in the wind and if he gets near the leaderboard come Sunday I will trade out if it suits. Robert Karlsson @ 110/1 outright,He missed Loch Lomond last week and as far as i know he has no injury worries so i would surmise that it is in preparation for the big one.Karllson won the Dunhill links in 08 and although it is a Pro-Am it attracts a decent field and suggests that the 2 out of 4 rounds at St andrews worked out well for him.He narrowly missed out on a PGA victory when edged out by Westwood in a Play-off a few weeks back and I honestly think he is approaching the form that ran him close in the 08 Majors. THE DRAW I studied the Accuweather site and if it is to be believed the Friday afternoon players might get the strongest winds,whilst tomorrow morning looks dodgy.On this basis I favour the Thursday Afternoon/Friday Morning players "Karlsson comes into this bracket"! Depending what side of the draw your player is on it doesn't matter if he is Tiger or Phil he will struggle to make the cut. I will wait and see how the weather cuts the field before going in a bit heavier,and remember the leaderboard "especially in these conditions" will chop&change and you will get value all weekend unless Tiger hits the front."A patient Player wins the open,A patient punter can often be rewarded"! Above Prices Stanjames Enhanced win only prices. P.S I watched Jin Jeong on the Europeantour Weekly slot win the British Amateur championship at MUIRFIELD where he disposed of the Scots Lad easily,He must have single putted about a third of the 36 holes,and at 3/1 @Betfair I feel he is Nailed on for the Top Amateur,get your money down.

GOOD LUCK ALL

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Ross Fisher for me . Should have won last year but for a disaster on 1 hole when he should have took a drop instead of trying to play an unplayable shot also no distractions as he had last year and also appears to be coming into form 50/1 hills best price(10 pts ew backed with an independant bookie at 55/1 )

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship First post… I’ve been mainly lurking around the football fora thus far.

I’m no golf expert, but here’s my stab at a angle on the Open. The wind being key … the forecast is Thurs ok and getting worse Friday and easing off thru Saturday.

So, I’ve only considered and backed those in early tee-offs on Friday assuming the wind starts bad and gets progressively worse through the day. That’s the theory, but I’m no John Ketley. Woods is out late Friday. I’ve also looked at those with decent form, ranking and/or good scrambling stats cos if the winds up there might not be too many greens in regulation.

I’ve used the PGA official site and Euro tour official site as the source for the info on the scrambles stats All placed e/w bets with WilliamHills

These guys all tee-off early on Friday

Kevin Na 250/1 - Good scramble stats on PGA tour & accurate off the tee Luke Donald 40/1 - Top scrambling stats Euro & PGA. Ricky Barnes 175/1 - Top 20 PGA scrambler, solid ranking and I remember him being a strong lad as a rookie so should be ok in the wind. Tom Lehman 250/1 – Previous winner in good form this season. Won a senior major in May. Steve Stricker 40/1 –These odds very generous for a guy of his ranking Jim Furyk 50/1 – Good form, good scrambler, previous winner Hills only giving top 5 for a place while others…. Boyle Sports and Paddy Power for example offer top 7.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship RORY McILROY 16/1 PADDY POWER E/W 7 PLACES Its about time the lad landed a major. Its time to put up and shut up. Will be determined to put up a big show here after fellow Ulsterman Graham McDowell recent US major win although i suppose that could go the other way and give added pressure but i have faith in the lad and have had a very decent e/w bet on him. After a poor US open he bounced back in France although a little let down by his putting. He has took a week off in prep for this and has prepared well for the task in hand . I think theres a chance he will come out of the blocks all guns firing so a little e/w bet (5 places PP) to be 1st round leader at 25's is in order. Wouldn't it be so sweet two Ulstermen winning majors in the same year may even bring a little tear to my eye if that was to be the case. I will be be gutted if come sunday afternoon Rory isn't in with a shout as i really fancy his chances and i get the vibes he really does to. RETIEF GOOSEN 60/1 PP E/W 7 PLACES Well capable of having a good week and always gives you a run for your money. Could turn out to be a massive price.

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Ted, i wish you luck with the McIlroy bet but i see no value at 16's, i would want 33's to be honest, only that you comment that its about time he won a major, but he has only been pro for about 3 years, so he has his whole career ahead of him i have backed him for 1st rd leader as i think he can hit a decent 1st rd Best of luck mate and hope you dont mind the comments. If he does hit a decent score tomorrow, he could be much shorter come Friday

Re: Golf: 2010 Open Championship Hi Folks, Got a few bets on and just about to trawl for some late value and do the 3-balls for tomorrow...here's some that I put on earlier in the week....all with Laddies! Taken a chance on this chap mainly for the fact that he won the Alfred Dunhill Cup last year so I'm hoping him returning to St Andrews will bring some good memories back!:hope Simon Dyson to win the Open @ 200/1 (each way) Simon Dyson to be top GB & Ire @ 40/1 Simon Dyson to be top English @ 33/1 I put the following 2 players on because the odds were a bit high...they've both finished high up in recent weeks. A Canizares to win the Open @ 250/1 (each way) F Molinari to win the Open @ 80/1 (each way) And finally a few folk to be first round leader...hopefully at least one of these will give me a run! S Dyson @ 100/1 C Schwartzel @ 66/1 N Watney @ 80/1 B Watson @ 100/1 R Barnes @ 100/1 T Bjorn @ 100/1 R Davies @ 80/1 S Lowry @ 80/1 Good luck folks :hope TQM