African Nations Cup 2010

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010)

Yeh so they've 180 minutes experience playing against IC - surely that means they know more about how they play? Anyway' date=' World Cup qualifying was less pressure for IC, they had pretty much already qualified.[/quote'] 180 mins does not mean they know how to defeat Ivory ...IVC had so many chances KONE missed 2 sitters...that was not down to burkino tactics that was down to bad finishing. I am not slagging of african football at all, i am sure the heat is a major factor too.

Sorry for' date=' may be, a naive question - but what are the chances of corruption in such competition. It was just amazing to me that IC did not really tried to win the game.[/quote'] Chances are zero.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) some strange result indeed, i watched the algeria game and really they was awfull, not the same team that beat egypt to qualify. May be the heat did not suit them or the favourite tag put to much pressure. Will have to be very carefull but as Meatman say things like thAT happen in football and is confident that at the end of tournament we ll be able to get some of bookies money in our pocket.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) @bahnhof, thanks. If corruption is really ruled out then I would say the competition is too uncertain to even think to put little money on it. After results like: Angola-Mali 4:4 Malawi-Algeria 3:0 IC - BF 0:0 I would really keep away. All the results above were 99% improbable.

I hope this isn't regarded as after-timing' date=' but you lot seriously need to stop moaning and complaining about this being crap and you being stung for your money. If you had any knowledge of international football in Africa, you would know that there are a certain group of teams that consistently do well, and a group of teams that always disappoint. Egypt have won the last 2 ACON's, beating Ivory Coast 4-1 in the last tournament, when Ivory Coast were heavy favourites. Why? Because Egypt, despite not having 11 star players like many say Ivory Coast do, have a VERY well-knitted team and do NOT play as individuals. Teams like Ivory Coast rely on individual talent - their defence is consistently awful, their tactics in general are greatly lacking. If they come up against a team like Burkina Faso, who all know their jobs and know how to defend, then they will be hard to break down. Same thing earlier, Malawi have been together forabout 3 weeks longer than the rest of the teams, meaning they have had 3 weeks to prepare for the game against Algeria. I would say rather than jumping on the bandwagon and saying "LOL DIS IS WELL CRAP", that you actually do some proper research.[/quote'] Real useful mate, I've had a few thoughts as well actually, I think most people were seriously underating Malawi's chances at these finals, most of their players are unknown and their opponents will prob be seriously underating them, they could surprise us all..Burkina Faso also will have learnt a lot after getting beaten home and away to IC in the last year or so and we should expect them to make a much better fight of it this time around, IC prob rely too much on Drogba making things happen, if he has a bad day the rest of the team dont really click.. What do you reckon, am i now on track with your way of thinking? If we are maybe we could get started on building our time machine so we could go back to this morning and make some serious cash!! After all imagine using hindsight for something useful aahhhhh..the possibilities :eyes

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I am starting to worry about Egypt vs Nigeria already. Egypt seems to do well when least expected, but when we are optimistic we mess things up. 48 hours ago, everyone was still expecting our team to be poor (I'm talking about Egyptian fans in Egypt here) so I was always hopeful we would still live up to teh occasion and surprise them all. Now there's a major prtion of the fans who have been ionterviewed by TV reporters who say Egypt will win tomorrow, and some have gone as far as 3-0!!! This is bad.. really bad! P.S. Nigeria hold the upper hand in their H2H vs Egypt. I was hoping for a 0-0 draw. Not too sure what I should be expecting now though. I probably will wait for the game to kick off and bet live!

I am starting to worry about Egypt vs Nigeria already. Egypt seems to do well when least expected, but when we are optimistic we mess things up. 48 hours ago, everyone was still expecting our team to be poor (I'm talking about Egyptian fans in Egypt here) so I was always hopeful we would still live up to teh occasion and surprise them all. Now there's a major prtion of the fans who have been ionterviewed by TV reporters who say Egypt will win tomorrow, and some have gone as far as 3-0!!! This is bad.. really bad! P.S. Nigeria hold the upper hand in their H2H vs Egypt. I was hoping for a 0-0 draw. Not too sure what I should be expecting now though. I probably will wait for the game to kick off and bet live!
Youssef, I fancied Egypt for this game, but am not sure if I will risk a bet, with Egypt being without Abou Trika, Zaki and Mido. I know Mido hasn't been in form lately but I still like him as a target man, someone who will give the weak defenders grief at this level. How will you line up without these 3? WIll it be Zidan and Motaeb up front? I like Zidan (scored a great goal in the last ACON) but he plays more off a target man or main striker. I also like Abd Rabo (sp?) - can he replace Abou Trika as the main playmaker? I like Egypt as a team - having most of their players in the same league creates a much better team ethic in my opinion, and the players know a lot more about each other. They are also one of the few African teams who seem to play with a Western philosophy - they know how to play all aspects of the game well, despite not having any world class players. Nigeria's team doesn't impress me much, but I'd really appreciate your views Youssef :)

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I'll be staying well clear for the rest of this tournament, I had a small double on Ivory Coast and Algeria but in the first 3 games, we've seen shock results...it could well be worth just backing the sides with the best price because so far it's been far too unpredictable.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Egypt - Nigeria, I dont like this match I think it's pretty dangerous. No result would really surprise me - everyone keeps saying Egypt will be shit this year but for some reason they always seem to be able to combine well as a team in comparison to other sides who are much better on paper. They have stung me before and so I wont take the chance to take them on. However, in the other game I'm eyeing up Benin, this is a good chance for them to pick up 3 points.

I'll be staying well clear for the rest of this tournament' date=' I had a small double on Ivory Coast and Algeria but in the first 3 games, we've seen shock results...it could well be worth just backing the sides with the best price because so far it's been far too unpredictable.[/quote'] I'm staying clear as well - after losing my bet with Ivory Coast. This whole tournament is just so unpredictable. They might as well put the countries in a random ball generator and churn out the winner. :lol

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Egypt +0.25 AH @ 1.85 (4/10) Well originally I wasn’t going to bet in this match, but after some careful consideration I’ve decided that Egypt are too much of a temptation for me to avoid. They are the two times defending champions, and despite them missing a few players from those triumphs and people claiming they ‘aren’t as good’ as they once were, I still don’t think they can be underestimated. They were perhaps unlucky in WC qualifying, and whilst it’s a massive blow not to have made it to the finals, the hurt could be used in a positive way. I’m hoping that everyone will want to put in a good performance here in Angola, starting with what should be their toughest group match. This has been the sort of game which Egypt have enjoyed in the last few years, against as big western African side in which they have been 2nd favourites. Nigeria on paper look to have a decent chance in this competition and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make the QF or SF, but as always there seems to be some internal fighting which isn’t ideal. Political problems, player fights and fallouts, just typical of any Nigeria team during this decade, they just cant be relied upon. There are some question marks about both teams here and it’s a dangerous match, perhaps capable of going either way. But in terms of value, do Egypt deserve to be 2nd favourites here? I just think odds of 1.85 on a +0.25AH are perhaps a little bit of an insult considering their excellent achievements. Its amazing how well they combine as a team and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go well today, the slight underdog tag should suit them better. Benin -0.25 AH @ 2.08 (5/10) I must say I don’t really know a lot about Mozambique, but you would imagine they should be one of the weakest teams in the competition with no experience at all. Looking at their qualifying record, some results have actually been quite impressive, although all of them at home. Benin on paper look to have the better squad with some recognisable individuals such as Stephane Sessegnon who I know very well from covering the French Ligue. It’ll be interesting to see how striker Razak Omotoyossi performs at international level. I really think he’s been awful at Metz and yet to score a goal for them following a big summer transfer. But its clear something works for him in international colours so perhaps he could go well in this tournament. I am a bit more wary of some of these minnows following Malawi’s shock success yesterday and also Burkina Faso holding Ivory coast to a surprise draw. Who knows, maybe Mozambique can gel nicely together as a team and produce an upset, but I think Benin’s extra quality and experience should make the difference. There’s no doubt in my mind that at least one of the minnows in this tournament will prove to be pushovers, it always happens that way. This is a bit of a risk as both teams aren’t well known in many ways, but I’ve seen a bit of Benin before and they’ve always seemed like a decent unit. I admit, I really know nothing of Mozambique, so if they come to bite me then fair play to them, but odds of 2.08 -0.25 AH look quite decent on Benin. GL all today! :ok

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) All you guys saying the corruption probability is zero - why do you state that? It's common knowledge (having read just a little of Declan Hill) that match fixing DO take place and that is FAR more common than many people think. :eek I don't accuse the ANC teams to be corrupt - I'll just like to hear the arguments that should guarantee a non-corrupt ANC - so far the results and moreover the team attitudes certainly do not back-up those arguments :\

I'm staying clear as well - after losing my bet with Ivory Coast. This whole tournament is just so unpredictable. They might as well put the countries in a random ball generator and churn out the winner. :lol
Lol, like it..i certainly wont be betting today after posting pretty big losses yest, worst in a long while..

All you guys saying the corruption probability is zero - why do you state that? It's common knowledge (having read just a little of Declan Hill) that match fixing DO take place and that is FAR more common than many people think. :eek I don't accuse the ANC teams to be corrupt - I'll just like to hear the arguments that should guarantee a non-corrupt ANC - so far the results and moreover the team attitudes certainly do not back-up those arguments :\
Although I do believe that the chances are match-fixing are not zero, I think it would be too simplistic if one attributes the results of just 3 matches to the tournament being corrupt. Every league/cup has their own share of upsets. Just to state a few, Wigan have won Chelsea 3-1 in the EPL, Leeds have won Man Utd 1-0 in the FA Cup, and Peterborough went from 4 goals down at HT to finish 4-4 as well. I don't see anyone mentioning corruption or anything like that. Just my personal view. :)

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I did say I'd leave this tournament alone now but i like the value on Egypt today @ 3.00. They play well as a team, they are the current holders and have have won it the last 2 times in 2006 [beating ivory coast] and 2008 [beating Cameroon]

Still trying your luck guys? :lol Can't you just wait till weekend?What can be better then betting on EPL,Bundesliga,La Liga,Serie A? Save your money for big games :ok
Yes, what can better that to lose your money on Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool?? :lol Sorry, mate, but I just couldn't help it!

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) As I said before, WE (in Egypt) are not getting any efficient coverage of the tournament, but -at least- our own delegation is speaking to our media. From what I hear I can confirm El Hadary will be at the goal, with a 4-man defense line of Ahmad Fat'hi, Wael Gomm'a, Mahmoud Fat'halla and Sayyed Moawwad (So far all 5 were playing in the last tournament and considered regulars). The midfield will have two central defenders: Hossni Abd Rabbo and Hossam Ghali (Ghali wasn't included in the last tournament) Then we will have skipper Ahmad Hassan alongside Zidan or Shikabala (or both) with Emad Met'eb upfront. Now if Shikabal plays he will assume the playmaking role, and Zidan will play as a 2nd striker alongside Met'eb. If Shikabal doesn't play then Zidan will be the playmaker, and the 2nd striker will most probably be either El Sayyed Hamdi or Mohammad Nagi "Geddo". There's also a possibility that Ahmad Eid Abdel Malek will have some time to play in the 2nd half, but it's a very slim chance he will start. I like Geddo as a target man. Also El Sayyed Hamdi. Both are new faces and fairly inexperienced but I'd say they're talented enough. Shikabala is a "moody" playmaker who is superb on skill but likes to keep the ball too much. What I do fear though is that we have not beaten Nigeria in 33 years. I'd probably settle for a draw (someone from Nigeria said they would also, talking to an Egyptian sports channel), but I think the best bet here is under 2.5 goals (unless -of course- Zidan decides to do what he did vs Cameroon in the last tournament). On another note: Do NOT underestimate Mozambique. They beat Tunisia in the last qualification round, making way for Nigeria to qualify to the World Cup. They are pretty organised and will fancy their chances against Benin. Benin I haven't watched in a while. I know the Squirrels have ambition, but something tells me Mozambique will win today. After all, Mozambique is adjacent to Angoal, and they also speak Portuguese, so I reckon the crowd will be on their side (never mind that one. There was no "crowd" in the Malawi v Algeria game. They were playing before empty stands). As for egypt, the crowd are backing teh Pharaohs as they play in the city were Angolan ace Amado Flavio originated from. Flavio (as many will know) played many seasons in Al Ahli and is popular amongst their fans. He formed a great offensive duo with Met'eb, so the crowd will -at least- have a soft spot for his ex-teammates. My bets of the day: Egypt - Nigeria Under 2.5 goals, Mozambique to beat Benin (DNB)

I did say I'd leave this tournament alone now but i like the value on Egypt today @ 3.00. They play well as a team' date=' they are the current holders and have have won it the last 2 times in 2006 [beating ivory coast'] and 2008 [beating Cameroon]
Egypt are now up to 3.35 on Betfair. May well be worth a look.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Just catching up with the discussion of yesterday's 'freak' results. I think if you go back to any international competition, you find that the first round games always throw up shocks. I think the reason is that a) it's group play, and one bad result won't necessarily kill you if you expect to advance, and b) on the other side, the minnows are highly motivated to show something. You see this in Champions League every year as well as the WC qualifying...less so in the WC proper for some reason, although I did watch Trinidad hold Sweden to a first game 0-0 last time around. I have no doubt that it most cases, the teams shocked in their opener will turn in a huge performance in their next game.

As I said before, WE (in Egypt) are not getting any efficient coverage of the tournament, but -at least- our own delegation is speaking to our media. From what I hear I can confirm El Hadary will be at the goal, with a 4-man defense line of Ahmad Fat'hi, Wael Gomm'a, Mahmoud Fat'halla and Sayyed Moawwad (So far all 5 were playing in the last tournament and considered regulars). The midfield will have two central defenders: Hossni Abd Rabbo and Hossam Ghali (Ghali wasn't included in the last tournament) Then we will have skipper Ahmad Hassan alongside Zidan or Shikabala (or both) with Emad Met'eb upfront. Now if Shikabal plays he will assume the playmaking role, and Zidan will play as a 2nd striker alongside Met'eb. If Shikabal doesn't play then Zidan will be the playmaker, and the 2nd striker will most probably be either El Sayyed Hamdi or Mohammad Nagi "Geddo". There's also a possibility that Ahmad Eid Abdel Malek will have some time to play in the 2nd half, but it's a very slim chance he will start. I like Geddo as a target man. Also El Sayyed Hamdi. Both are new faces and fairly inexperienced but I'd say they're talented enough. Shikabala is a "moody" playmaker who is superb on skill but likes to keep the ball too much. What I do fear though is that we have not beaten Nigeria in 33 years. I'd probably settle for a draw (someone from Nigeria said they would also, talking to an Egyptian sports channel), but I think the best bet here is under 2.5 goals (unless -of course- Zidan decides to do what he did vs Cameroon in the last tournament). On another note: Do NOT underestimate Mozambique. They beat Tunisia in the last qualification round, making way for Nigeria to qualify to the World Cup. They are pretty organised and will fancy their chances against Benin. Benin I haven't watched in a while. I know the Squirrels have ambition, but something tells me Mozambique will win today. After all, Mozambique is adjacent to Angoal, and they also speak Portuguese, so I reckon the crowd will be on their side (never mind that one. There was no "crowd" in the Malawi v Algeria game. They were playing before empty stands). As for egypt, the crowd are backing teh Pharaohs as they play in the city were Angolan ace Amado Flavio originated from. Flavio (as many will know) played many seasons in Al Ahli and is popular amongst their fans. He formed a great offensive duo with Met'eb, so the crowd will -at least- have a soft spot for his ex-teammates. My bets of the day: Egypt - Nigeria Under 2.5 goals, Mozambique to beat Benin (DNB)
Brilliant post mate. Interesting reading and will help on the betting front :ok

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Would you believe this? Sehata's starting line-up is YET to be announced with 20 minutes to go! I bet the referee got his score sheet with the line-up though, but not the media! Some are suggesting El Mohammadi and/or Abdel Zaher El Sakka will be in on the expense of Ghali and/or Shikabala This will cetainly mean Zidan upfront, but I don't think Shika should stay out!

Yes, what can better that to lose your money on Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool?? :lol Sorry, mate, but I just couldn't help it!
If this are only teams you know from EPL then no wonder why you lose your money m8 :lol Sorry,just couldn't help it ;)