Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02

Race: 14.00 Lingfield Selection: Street Power For the NAP today, we are heading South to leafy Lingfield to take a look at one of Jeremy Gask's runners. Jeremy has been in excellent form recently, and he has landed one or two nice gambles. He is an up and coming trainer, and one which I like to follow. The horse in question, is Street Power, a winner of 2 of his last 3 races. When Street Power first started racing as a youngster, he showed absolutely nothing in three starts and seemed to be plagued by one or two niggling injury problems. For that reason, the horse is still very lightly raced, and unusually for a 4 year old is open to a great deal of improvement. Since the turn of the year, this horse has shown a tremendous improvement in form, winning two of his 3 races. Rated 65, he made his seasonal bow at Kempton on the 7th January, where he gamely battled off all challengers to scoop the class 6 contest. The horse that finished 3rd that day, Sarahs Art, went on to win her next 2 races for Stef Liddiard. However, it was his next run that really caught my eye. He was a very well backed 7/4 favourite in a class 6 race over 7f at Kempton, and he broke out the stalls very poorly, and lost around 2-3 lengths. As is his character, he then pulled like a train for the next 3-4 furlongs, exuding a lot of energy. In normal circumstances, this would give the horse no chance and he traded at huge prices in running. However, despite what had happened at the start, Street Power flew down the outside to win by a cosy 1/2 length. In all honesty though, he was value for much more than the winning margin. Last time out, things didnt quite go his way. He actually broke a lot better, and as such got no cover whatsoever. As with at Kempton, he pulled like a train but ended up disputing the lead. Baring in mind this horse needs to finish past rivals late, he had no chance and the race was blown. He still put in a creditable effort to finish 7th, but in all honesty, everything went wrong for him that day. Today, Jeremy Gask is trying something new, and it may well help this quirky horse. He is being dropped back in trip to 6f from 7f, and the faster speed should sort out the horse's problem with pulling in the early part of the race. It does make it more difficult for him to pick up rivals late, but the nature of Lingfields uphill finish should give him a good opportunity to come with a swooping late run. This horse does need a lot to fall right for him, but with a clear run, I am confident he can give a good account.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Ludlow 15:00 Gee Dee Nen 5-4 RPF Proven to last this trip based lto's effort at 3m1f110y. He finished 2ND of 16 by 6 lengths to the 5-4F. Third place was 30 lengths behind him. His speed from the flat should also help for this sharp track. Jockey A P McCoy is booked and Best have meant business when with McCoy. McCoy have 8 wins from 17 for Best this season. 5 others have the other 9 wins from best. McCoy have also won on all of his second ride of the day the past 3 days. 1pt to win

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 2.10 DONCASTER~STAR BEAT 0.5 E/W The drying ground will suit this horse.CD winner over hurdle a year ago so stepped back up in trip another positive. Looks the e/w value with the stable starting to hit form. Should be around the 16/1 mark and if so is well worth an e/w bet imo.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 15:20 Doncaster - King Harald Won over 4 miles round here just over a year ago and is a fairly consistent horse, 25 runs, 6 wins, 3 seconds and 3 thirds. Was last seen at Cheltenham on new years day where he didn't run a bad race at all, 5th of 13 he finished which was better than expected. Gets three miles well and has his best form on this ground. All in all looks set for at least a place today. 1pt win (For BBOTD Purposes)

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Lingfield 4.20pm 1pt lay Private Passion This horse looks to be backed well today but LTO made all in the race and in my view was given a easy lead to go on and win the race ,cant see it today will have a fight on his hands from a nice field. Good Luck Whatever You Bet Today

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Ludlow 15:00 1pt win Threatening To Pay Last time out he finished 3rd behind Michel Le Bon and on that occasion he didnt settle well at all and had he done so he would of been alot closer. Hes been showing promise over the hurdles and i think today he will settle and give a good account of himself against the odds on favourite Gee De Nen. 11/4 into 9/4...(bet365)

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 2.25 Ludlow MUNGO JERRY Caught the eye today as a big price horse entered up in a handicap chase with no novice experience at all. Won a hurdle at Exeter last jan off 95 & runs off 97 in its first chase. I remember this horse as flat horse with James Given & its a big animal, should take to fences ok & a big price to boot EW

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Ling 1:30 I think the market leaders have their flaws in this one, they are too short and I'm going to back a 11/1 shot. Don Pele - I like the Harris yard, and this is a decent horse from it. Has not done very well last few starts, however they have all been very competitive races. Today is not a competitive race, Don Pele is dropped 4 lbs and its last 2 starts at this weight have come 2/2 one at Lingfield. The drop down in trip may suit this horse, it loves this trip and considering the field is not brilliant we may see this one going back into some form. It's worth it for the price anyway. Don Pele 12's on betfair 0.5pts E/W

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 225 Punchestown - Realt Dubh WIN Likely to be a short price (I have EVENS @ bet365 BOG) but looks a very smart horse. Formlines couldnt be any better, being unfortunate enough to be beaten in 2 of his last 3 starts by Cousin Vinny and Mikael D'Haugenet. Hasn't been out of the top 2 in 6 starts in rules (3 over hurdles), and looks very likely to go well today. The main danger is the Willie Mullins horse Otay Kawn, but the form of his victory LTO looks very suspect to say the least.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 3:55 Doncaster. A French Horse. 2 points LAY This horse put in a much improved performance on Saturday, being overtaken after leading at the last. He is due to go up in the weights when next published and the trainer has clearly taken the chance to run him again before that happens. He will be a hot favourite. But he finished the race absolutely shattered on Saturday, almost at walking pace, and it's difficult to believe he can have fully recovered. The going is also very different today. I'm prepared to make this my nap this month.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 3.55 Doncaster: Random Native Ran a stinker LTO over this trip at Musselburgh, however if that can be forgiven should have every chance today. Previous run over 2m at Ayr looks very solid when finishing 1 length 2nd to Prosecco - winner, 3rd place and 8th place horses went on to win and other horses in field performed well subsequently. Jockey Ferghal Davis back in the saddle today seems to get on well with this horse with a win and a 2nd from 2 runs. Certainly capable of a place if not better and looks overpriced at current 20/1 (various). 0.5pts Each Way

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Don 1.40 Higgys Boy 1 pt win A few newcomers here who may well turn out to be useful but in these conditions I go for Higgys Boy to overcome the penalty. He was a reasonable horse on the flat at around 1m to 10f ish and he seemed to take to hurdles quite well on his debut at newb where he won quite well I thought. Admittedly apart from amore mio down the field, not a lot has boosted that form but at the time I still felt it was a good win from HB and clearly his trainer did too because he was considered good enough by a yard as powerful as NH to run in a grade 2 lto. As it was he ran below par finding the surface perhaps too testing and maybe even the course which isn’t that surprising given the type of horse he was on the flat. Today on more of a galloping flatter track I think that will probably suit more as should the sounder surface. Always Bold possibly looks one of the better newcomers and he was good on the flat but that was as more of a stayer and he could get done for speed by a quicker type like HB here.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 13.40 Doncaster Terrasini each way Won on its first trip over hurdles LTO albeit that being over 100 days ago. Goes over the same distance today. Howard Johnson has been on top form this season although has not had much horses out at all over the past 2 weeks. O'Regan is also a top jockey so I am confident this one can at least be placed and maybe even take the win.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 4.20 Lingfield Elsie Jo is the 2/1 fav and that is criminal IMO - not raced for 175 days, making handicap debut and hardly set the world alight in three maiden runs. Admittedly, this is a diabolical race, but others deserve to be shorter than this one. Private Passion won well last time at Kempton and the form of that race has been boosted by the third, who won next time out. However, he steps back up in trip here and is drawn wide, so at 11/4 I can't back with that doubt. Perhaps Mick Channon's Tarawa Atoll is worth a punt. He is reasonably race fit after a run at Wolverhampton 24 days ago in which he chased home Downhill Skier and Turn to Dreams. Niether are world beaters, but seem reliable enough for the grade and better than anything in opposition here. He had Josiah Bartlett behind that day and although 2 lb worse off after 1 length seperated them last time, you wouldn't put your mortgage on Turner's horse to reverse the form given his overall profile. Josiah Bartless is also much shorter in the betting and I can't really see why. Channon is in decent form, hitting a strike rate just below 25 % from 17 rides in the past fortnight and Tony Culhane too is riding well with figures of 4-12 (33 %, LSP +£19) in the past fortnight. As joint-top rated in this weak race I think he is chanceable each-way. He drops back down in trip after being run over 8-9f mainly, and you could argue that he does infact want further but you can similarly pick holes in all of the others and this is one of those you could have a little punt on at the price (12/1). 0.5 pt EW

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 355 Don: A French Horse Slightly concerning that Palaceman has this as is Banker Lay but saw it was running yesterday and wont change my mind as the price is holding up. I take his point about the horse finished tired at Uttoxeter only a few days ago but the same trainer sent Kayf Aramis out within a short time also after finishing legless, he won on the bridle and I do think this is probably a stone well in as I think this is a 130 horse in time, Dont forget that was his first run for 6 months too, so he his lightly raced and should be able to cope. The ground could be a factor but I just think he has enough in hand.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 15-35 Ludlow - Nortonthorpe Lad - Win:

Nortonthorpe Lad is the most consistent of these here and he is sure to get his head in front at some point while still being nicely handicapped. His last ten runs read 4322132242, so he is sure to get involved today and with the ground in his favour he could be hard to beat at decent odds. He is only 2lbs up on his last run where he was beaten just 1½L by Red Admiral who is having quite a good season. He steps up in distance here today and that could make the world of difference as he has been running on in the last couple of races so he looks like he wants a tad further.

The main dangers will be working title who was 3rd lto at Ascot so based on that he should go close again here, is dropping down in class but also drops down in distance which is the reason for him being overlooked in this event. Harry Trickster is also a worry though I will leave him until he is fully proven as although he showed as if he was coming on last time I'm not quite sure he is fully ready yet. Currently 4/1 Available.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Doncaster 3-55 Random Native 0.5pts EW Despite being 11yo, he has few miles on the clock having won 4 out of 11 hurdle races. If you can forgive his last run 17 days ago (Too bad to be true), he would have to go close today. He has ideal conditions of a sound surface, galloping track and a big field which seem to suit. The form of his previous race when narrowly beaten at Ayr is working out really well and todays race doesn't look too competative. Currently available at 28-1 with sportingbet

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 3.20 Doncaster - Briery Fox (win) Everything looks in place for a prominent showing from this one. From a stable with a 31% record in handicap chases at Doncaster, back on favoured good ground, back to 3m having ran poorly dropped back in trip lto, and with plenty of pace on up front likely to suit those coming from behind. 15/2 at Betfred, but 7s generally - looks a good value win bet.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02

Race: 14.00 Lingfield Selection: Street Power For the NAP today, we are heading South to leafy Lingfield to take a look at one of Jeremy Gask's runners. Jeremy has been in excellent form recently, and he has landed one or two nice gambles. He is an up and coming trainer, and one which I like to follow. The horse in question, is Street Power, a winner of 2 of his last 3 races. When Street Power first started racing as a youngster, he showed absolutely nothing in three starts and seemed to be plagued by one or two niggling injury problems. For that reason, the horse is still very lightly raced, and unusually for a 4 year old is open to a great deal of improvement. Since the turn of the year, this horse has shown a tremendous improvement in form, winning two of his 3 races. Rated 65, he made his seasonal bow at Kempton on the 7th January, where he gamely battled off all challengers to scoop the class 6 contest. The horse that finished 3rd that day, Sarahs Art, went on to win her next 2 races for Stef Liddiard. However, it was his next run that really caught my eye. He was a very well backed 7/4 favourite in a class 6 race over 7f at Kempton, and he broke out the stalls very poorly, and lost around 2-3 lengths. As is his character, he then pulled like a train for the next 3-4 furlongs, exuding a lot of energy. In normal circumstances, this would give the horse no chance and he traded at huge prices in running. However, despite what had happened at the start, Street Power flew down the outside to win by a cosy 1/2 length. In all honesty though, he was value for much more than the winning margin. Last time out, things didnt quite go his way. He actually broke a lot better, and as such got no cover whatsoever. As with at Kempton, he pulled like a train but ended up disputing the lead. Baring in mind this horse needs to finish past rivals late, he had no chance and the race was blown. He still put in a creditable effort to finish 7th, but in all honesty, everything went wrong for him that day. Today, Jeremy Gask is trying something new, and it may well help this quirky horse. He is being dropped back in trip to 6f from 7f, and the faster speed should sort out the horse's problem with pulling in the early part of the race. It does make it more difficult for him to pick up rivals late, but the nature of Lingfields uphill finish should give him a good opportunity to come with a swooping late run. This horse does need a lot to fall right for him, but with a clear run, I am confident he can give a good account.
Exactly how you said it stewart. :notworthy

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 QUASAR D'OUDAIRES 3.35 Ludlow. 0.5 points each way. Has enough ability to be involved in the finish of this race and with several main dangers having their questions to answer and us allowed to race off a mark of 117, we should be able to run our race and go close.

225 Punchestown - Realt Dubh WIN Likely to be a short price (I have EVENS @ bet365 BOG) but looks a very smart horse. Formlines couldnt be any better, being unfortunate enough to be beaten in 2 of his last 3 starts by Cousin Vinny and Mikael D'Haugenet. Hasn't been out of the top 2 in 6 starts in rules (3 over hurdles), and looks very likely to go well today. The main danger is the Willie Mullins horse Otay Kawn, but the form of his victory LTO looks very suspect to say the least.
:ok Little disappointed it went to odds on (for the sake of bbotd as I had BOG), however thats the nature of the beast, Although Otay Kawn (who I named as the main threat), loomed up and looked like he could win before making a mistake at the last, I firmly believe that the selection foundy plenty enough to suggest he would have held off the challenge anyway. (The mistake imo did'nt cost 4L). Cousin Vinny and Mikael D'Haguenet paid another compliment.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 waterloo dock 310 ling. 0.5 pts ew. is vulnerable to several others and the unexposed natures, but would be open to improve himself and can get a good pace to the race. martin dwyer is a good jockey for this type of horse and i expect a big run.

Re: Best Bet of the Day - Wed 18/02 Doncaster 15.55 Tessanoora e/w We have nice calimer on her Oliver Wiliams. The handycap is pretty equal in the weights. Tessanoora has some nice places in Class 2-3 before, so if he gets back a little of his form, will be into places :) Nice odds for her now

waterloo dock 310 ling. 0.5 pts ew. is vulnerable to several others and the unexposed natures' date=' but would be open to improve himself and can get a good pace to the race. martin dwyer is a good jockey for this type of horse and i expect a big run.[/quote'] :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap 1st @ 9/1

2:00 - Lingfield - Street Power I agree with everything stewart says at the top. Clearly a quirky type, but that 2nd win at Kempo was hugely eye-catching. I'll forgive him for last run, and hopefully 6f today will see him at his best 1pt win
:clap:clap Great minds ;)
1st @ 7/4 :ok
Ludlow 15:00 Gee Dee Nen 5-4 RPF Proven to last this trip based lto's effort at 3m1f110y. He finished 2ND of 16 by 6 lengths to the 5-4F. Third place was 30 lengths behind him. His speed from the flat should also help for this sharp track. Jockey A P McCoy is booked and Best have meant business when with McCoy. McCoy have 8 wins from 17 for Best this season. 5 others have the other 9 wins from best. McCoy have also won on all of his second ride of the day the past 3 days. 1pt to win
:clap:clap

:clap:clap Great minds ;) 1st @ 7/4 :ok :clap:clap
Definitely great minds!! :notworthy:notworthy For bbotd purposes, it's a shame it got smashed. but 11/4 did look too big in my opinion. If he could sort out the early part of his races, this horse could do some good things as he has a terrific turn of foot.