Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow A run in the John Smith's Grand National seems unlikely for Denman unless something goes wrong in his pursuit of back-to-back Cheltenham Gold Cups. The nine-year-old has not been seen in racecourse action since winning National Hunt's blue riband last March after suffering from a fibrillating heart, but is on course for a return, possibly in the Aon Chase at Newbury on February 7. Recent reports have suggested a start in April's Aintree spectacular is high on champion trainer Paul Nicholls' agenda, but he admits a defence of his Gold Cup crown remains Denman's number one priority. "We've entered Denman for the Grand National but that is as far as it has got at this stage," Nicholls told Teletext. "If he has a hard race in the Gold Cup like last year that would make it improbable but if something went wrong or he fell at the first, we'd kick ourselves if he wasn't entered. "It will be some time before a final decision is made so any speculation otherwise before then is exactly that."

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow News that Denman could run in the Grand National has been welcomed by Robert Thornton, who believes it could give him the chance to land a first win in the Aintree showpiece. "Now it looks like it's a real possibility, depending on what happens to Denman in the Gold Cup, it presents a great opportunity for our former Welsh National winner Halcon Genelardais to take his chance," the jockey said in the Gloucester Citizen. "If Denman runs, he'd have top weight and push the weights down, meaning Halcon would have only 10st 6lb. I've always thought the National was made for him and he'd have a good chance." Come on :ok

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow

From my jumps thread: one bet i have just struck is Cheltenham March 13th Albert Bartlett Novices hurdle The Nightingale @ 55.0 & 60.0 Cheltenham March 11th Ballymore Properties Hurdle The Nightingale @ 46.0 Horses form to date 1-2-f-1 It finished 2nd 8L behind Mad max (one of Henderson's horses) last season at Newbury in an NHF race which has produced 4 winners from 9 horses. It would have won 1st time up this season at Exeter but spooked & jumped the road slipping up after the last fence with the race at its mercy & the race was waon by Shalone (King) who has since beaten tataniano which hacked up at the weekend. The Nightingale won easily on last start heavily odds on over 2m 3f at taunton.
Now trading at 24.0 & 25.0 for each race. Hoping to see this one entered when jump racing resumes. :hope

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Supreme Novice Hurdle - Zaarito @ 20/1 Just backed Zaarito for the Supreme Novice. Anything can happen in such a big field today, but he should beat those and do better things as a hurdler. The 20/1 will probably shorten after today's race. He was 3rd in the Champion Bumper behind Cousin Vinny, but the most important thing about this fella is the trainer. He always does well when he comes to England with his horses. From 3 hurdlers he has 2 winners (One was Brave Inca winning the Champion Hurdle and the other won a G3 at Sandown) and 1 2nd. The trainer also has a 3rd in a NHF race and that was Zaarito last year. Al in all I am sure that's the target for my selection and I am happy to be on him for the race. 20/1 is a good e/w value.

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Royal & SunAlliance Chase Wednesday, 11 March 2009 2:40 Carruthers 9-2 JointFavorite for the Albert Bartlett Novices´ Hurdle Grade 1 (Registered as The Spa Novices´ Hurdle) last year. Finished 11 of 18 by 57 lengths. He defeated the winner by 13 lengths two months earlier. Racing Post Analysis of the race said: "..did not get much peace in front and was soon done with when taken on running down to the penultimate flight." What A Friend is 8-1 for the RSA whom Carruthers lost to by 2L on his reappearance/chase debut last October. He defeated What A Fried by a length on his hurdle debut in Nov07. Current favorite for the race is 6-1 (Betfred) Breedzbreeze. I think he's still under the radar because he's not found a race to go into for a while. Overall he's a useful sort who should not be as big as 33-1. There is also the possibility he'd be able to be layed at a lower price after today's race at Fakenham (1:50). 1pt ew @ 33-1 Sportingbet

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Arkle - I'm So Lucky @ 80 Betfair & 84 BetDaq Planet Of Sound won well and franked the form of Pipe's I'm So Lucky. He was entered for the VC Chase at Ascot this weekend, but the ground will be soft and they pulled him out. He's a 140 hurdler, who has won 2 chases very easily and lost by 7l conceding 10lbs to Planet Sound lto. Winning when Pipe was out of form, he could be a very good horse when the yard is firing. I had a bit of 80s for the Arkle.

It was John Carr but it's changed stables' date=' can't remember new trainer but hopefully he'll run it more frequently and get it spot on for Cheltenham. Still looked a bit of a porker last year.[/quote'] i think at the prices, Won in the Dark is a better prospect than Sublimity! both in the Irish Champion hurdle and also the Champion hurdle itself.

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Gold Cup w/o Nicholls' Runners - Or Noir De Somoza Cracking bet this one if he goes for the GC. 25/1 without Denman, Kauto Star, Neptune Collanges and Star De Mohaison is huge. If you bare in mind Tidal Bay and Exotic Dancer may skip it as well this could be odds on if the reports about the horse are right. I think he'll give the market principals something to think, not to mention 25/1 without them. Comes full of grade wins from France and could be a new star on the UK racing scene. I am at 130s on the standard market, but this is too big to be ignored. 33/1 at Sky Bet without Denman and Kauto Star is also worth a punt if you don't fear Neptune Collanges and Star De Mohaison. 25/1 @ William Hill

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Supreme Novices Hurdle - Eradicate Performed well on the flat for Johnston and moved to Henderson's stable now, Odds on to win today and if he does it nicely you can see these odds being slashed, May be worth backing him for this rather then taking the short odds today. AP McCoy is booked to ride today so I would expect this horse to win. Henderson should have him ready. 2pts e/w @ 40/1 Will Hill

Supreme Novices Hurdle - Eradicate Performed well on the flat for Johnston and moved to Henderson's stable now, Odds on to win today and if he does it nicely you can see these odds being slashed, May be worth backing him for this rather then taking the short odds today. AP McCoy is booked to ride today so I would expect this horse to win. Henderson should have him ready. 2pts e/w @ 40/1 Will Hill
Agree completely - I backed him @ 1.94 for todays race last night, and I'm on @ 33/1 for the Supreme Novices :hope

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Supreme Novices Hrdle - Eradicate @ 33/1 Bet365 This horse was rated in the 100's on the flat, and if he can transfer that running to hurdles, he will be a force to be reckoned with. He runs today for Nicky Henderson and that will be a big pointer as to how well he takes to hurdles. However, I would rather take the 33/1 before todays run before the price collapses if he wins. He had the stamina on the flat, and if he takes to jumping, he will be a force to be reckoned with. :hope:ok

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow I always think its best to let 'em ride, Unless of course you staked a fair chunk....But for the sake of a couple of quid you might aswell just keep the bet, You won't getting that sort of price come the day of the race, Imo of course. :ok

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow My ante post bets to date, added Working Title today. I note its entered up for Ascot saturday, not sure it will run as maybe Henderson will keep it fresh for Newbury? I got 33's ew at Ladbrokes

Horse RaceDatePrice advisedReasonsPlaced bet with
Working TitleTotesport Trophy HurdleSat 07.02.0933/1Trained by Nicky henderson who always seems to do target this race for a number of his handicap hurdlers. This one should be off a low weight for the race & is probably double the price it will be on the day. Its a tough race to win so e/w stakes advised & there should be 4 places to play for as the race normally attracts a large field. Ladbrokes
The NightingaleBallymore Properties HurdleWeds 11.03.0946.0Horses form to date 1-2-f-1 It finished 2nd 8L behind Mad max (one of Henderson's horses) last season at Newbury in an NHF race which has produced 4 winners from 9 horses. It would have won 1st time up this season at Exeter but spooked & jumped the road slipping up after the last fence with the race at its mercy & the race was won by Shalone (King) who has since beaten tataniano which hacked up at the weekend. The Nightingale won easily on last start heavily odds on over 2m 3f at taunton. Whichever race it lines up in, hopefully we have nicked a decent price as this horse is well regarded at the stable. Betfair
The NightingaleAlbert Bartlett Novices HurdleFri 13.03.0955.0 & 60.0Same as above. Betfair

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Just updated with Free World & Snap Tie added ahead of their weekend engagements.

Horse RaceDatePrice advisedReasonsPlaced bet with
Working TitleTotesport Trophy HurdleSat 07.02.0933/1Trained by Nicky henderson who always seems to do target this race for a number of his handicap hurdlers. This one should be off a low weight for the race & is probably double the price it will be on the day. Its a tough race to win so e/w stakes advised & there should be 4 places to play for as the race normally attracts a large field. Ladbrokes
The NightingaleBallymore Properties HurdleWeds 11.03.0946.0Horses form to date 1-2-f-1 It finished 2nd 8L behind Mad max (one of Henderson's horses) last season at Newbury in an NHF race which has produced 4 winners from 9 horses. It would have won 1st time up this season at Exeter but spooked & jumped the road slipping up after the last fence with the race at its mercy & the race was won by Shalone (King) who has since beaten tataniano which hacked up at the weekend. The Nightingale won easily on last start heavily odds on over 2m 3f at taunton. Whichever race it lines up in, hopefully we have nicked a decent price as this horse is well regarded at the stable. Betfair
The NightingaleAlbert Bartlett Novices HurdleFri 13.03.0955.0 & 60.0Same as above. Betfair
Free WorldArkle chaseTues 10.03.0914/1This horse runs on Saturday at Ascot & has already put up one of the best showings from a novice all season when going down by a head from Araldur at Sandown. These are now rated 151 & 152, the highest rated novice chasers this term. if Free World wins on Saturday, it will be half this price & maybe less. Ladbrokes
Snap TieChampion HurdleTues 10.03.0923.0Also runs on Saturday, in the Champion Hurdle trial at Haydock. Was 3rd behind Binocular in the Supreme Novices hurdle last year & has developed into a very game horse this season beating Katchit 1st time up & then just narrowly beaten by Harchibald in the xmas hurdle at Kempton. Another good value price to take before Cheltenham. Betfair

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow FREE WORLD - The Arkle. 14/1 @ VCBet Having seen this horse twice already this season I have been mightily impressed with the way he handles the racetrack. The first time I saw him at Sandown, he ran a blinder. Jumping was spot on, including all the tricky railway fences down the back straight. I think that he went off slightly too fast LTo, and made a jumping error which allowed the very progressive (and impressive) Araldur to collar him on the line. Runs today at Ascot, and if he disposes with Calgary Bay he will certainly not be 14/1 for the Arkle for very much longer. I have made him my Banker of the month in BBOTD, and think he will find yet more today, in a race which should be run to suit.

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Free World and Snap Tie both bombed today, both travelled well enough but emptied very quickly, dont think the ground suited either, so wouldn't write them off for March just yet. Or Noir De Somoza looked like it needed the run, nothing was going to get near Master Minded today though. Zaynar won on the bridle at Ascot, however it did make a couple of jumping errors.:ok

Free World and Snap Tie both bombed today, both travelled well enough but emptied very quickly, dont think the ground suited either, so wouldn't write them off for March just yet. Or Noir De Somoza looked like it needed the run, nothing was going to get near Master Minded today though. Zaynar won on the bridle at Ascot, however it did make a couple of jumping errors.:ok
I'd considered backing Or Noir De Somoza but Pipe said he could have done with another few weeks to get it ready and that put me off. Will come on for that run and interesting to know where it goes at Cheltenham.

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Free World is one for the flat tracks I think. Watching him today I am pretty sure now. He is prominent and jumps well, but is always going to be caught on galloping stiff tracks. As for Snap Tie, trainer said the race came too soon and it also wasn't exactly the ground he likes at Ascot today. It was a sticky surface. He is good at Cheltenham and ran well last year after few misses. He could well go there and run his best race for the season, but it seems he has a lot to find to catch Binocular. Calgary Bay will be far better going left handed, but I am not quite sure 2m is his distance. They will go fast pace in the Arkle yes, but Tidal Bay, Voy Por Ustedes, My Way De Solzen, they all look like speedy types to me while Calgary Bay is a big horse with a scope, who could improve for a step up in trip. I can see him being in the places in the Arkle, but something with more speed will beat him. This is my opinion. Or Noir De Somoza ran well. This was his first run of the season and he made couple of errors that took a lot of him. At the end Tom Scudamore wasn't even trying to place him, because the race was just about the fitness. I think he'll be an exciting staying chaser in this country and I can't wait to see him next time. Master Minded was impressive, but that's nothing new :)

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow I was personally quite happy with Calgary Bay's run, Wasn't beaten far at all, Had Free World beaten who was going to be shorter than Calgary bay for the Arkle after that run supposedly....I do not rate Free World at all....as you say Mileni he will be more suited going left handed and has already proven he jumps well around Cheltenham. Two out of two at the track and course form is so important as we all know....

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow Two speculative bets for the Grand National with the chance to lay later. Snoopy Loopy at 150. She had a tough season so far, but Peter Bowen said she will get an entry and if Denman or Exotic Dancer run, then she'll have nice weight. When the entries are announced, she'll be one of the few in the handicap and I'll lay her at much shorter prices. The next one is Miko De Beauchene at 160. He should get an entry too and he must have a good chance. Hasn't finished a race recently with two unlucky errors, where he unseated his rider. He is a good jumper though. This could play a part in the tough GN. He will be fresh and should also be far shorter in the market when the weights are announced. I hope he doesn't go for the Scottish National again, but last year the jockey said a ride in the GN was promised to him and as a 9yo now's the time. Later both should be easily layed at 100s for a free bet at respectively 50s and 60s.

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow I've just backed Star De Mohaison at 5.7 to win this weekend but it's on as an ante post bet. There was £15 available so I took the £15 and as far as I know due to the Betfair offer if it loses i'll get £15 refunded. I think that was terms of the offer. Will definitely run as long as ground isn't too soft and Exotic Dancer is not racing in this now. I hope SDM does the business and shows why i've had such faith in it for so long, also good for my ante post Gold Cup bet if it wins, can probably lay my stake off if it goes to around 10's for the GC. :ok Don't even know if it runs Saturday but had £4 on Amber Brook to win the Cleeve Hurdle, why isn't Kasbah Bliss running in this???

Don't even know if it runs Saturday but had £4 on Amber Brook to win the Cleeve Hurdle' date=' why isn't Kasbah Bliss running in this???[/quote'] The race comes a week or two earlier and he'll miss it. Doumen: "I said all along that the Cleeve Hurdle was only an option and we have decided that the race has come too soon for Kasbah Bliss. Last year he went to Haydock in February (Rendlesham Hurdle) before the World Hurdle and we will look at that again."

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow A Bartlett Novice Hurdle - Bensalem @ 11/1 Unbeaten and will run at Cheltenham this weekend against Diamond Harry. Yard won the race last year and this one should be aimed at this race with Karabak more likely to go for the Ballymore Properties. Will be single figures on the day and at 11/1 atm I am having an antepost bet.

I've just backed Star De Mohaison at 5.7 to win this weekend but it's on as an ante post bet. There was £15 available so I took the £15 and as far as I know due to the Betfair offer if it loses i'll get £15 refunded. I think that was terms of the offer.
I'm not sure you'll get your stake back. An antepost n/r is a loser as far as I know. But he should run here. I just took 7.2 and I expect him to be fav or joint fav with Halcon Genelarais closer to the race. Saturday will be sunny and bright with a nice wind as well and the temperatures should be +6 to +8. The ground won't be that testing and receiving weight from the field he should run a big race.

Re: Jumps Season 08/09 - Antepost Bets & Horses To Follow World Hurdle - Kasbah Bliss @ 10/3 @ Tote Odds comparison sites have him at 3/1, but he is 10/3 at Tote and I had a pretty big bet. I think he's a 170 horse seeing him a length behind Inglis Drever, while Big Bucks and Punchestowns have a few lbs to find to be there. The Punchestowns mark from Ascot is a bit flattering. Something needs to produce an Inglis Drever performance to beat Kasbah Bliss imo.