** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

African Nations Cup 2008

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Ghana are way too short for me, I can't beleive that most bookies have them odds on. I'll almost certainly take them on, I'm sure Cameroon can at least take them to ET. Ivory Coast are clearly the best team in the tourney and should win it outright, baring some sort of disaster. They'll beat Egypt for me and I already have my eye on the -0.75 line

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 I'd say the first match is priced up partly based on the fact Ghana are the hosts and also partly based on the fact Cameroon looks A) exhausted towards the end of the QF ET - and they also played the later match yesterday, B) bar some thirty minutes at the beginning they looked truly awful in the quarters, they simply stopped playing and never even realised Eto'o was cancelled out. TBH, I'm not that sure they can make it, ie. depend which Cameroon turns up and whether they can hold their nerves (they struggled in this department big time in the quarters). Ivory Coast is a no-brainer, agree, but still Egypt are admittedly the most organised side the Ivorians are facing and although it doesn't look like it looking at the QF scoreline - they were struggling to break through until cca the 70th minute, ie. until scoring the second goal.

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Cameroon +0.5 AH @ 1.92 188bet 3/10 Well I’ve got no need to stake heavily because if Cameroon do go through, then I’ll win plenty on my outright bet anyway, bit honestly feel that they have an excellent chance here. Ghana are the hosts and they must be respected for that fact, the home crowd has certainly lifted them at times. But I really haven’t been impressed with them too much and nearly all of their wins have been close tight ,and even some might day - rather lucky. They’ve fought hard but for me Cameroon are a better team. The absence of key captain John Mensah at the back can only be a negative factor for Ghana and it means that the excellent Cameroon attack force should have a better chance against their defence. I don’t think many can argue that Cameroon have impressed going forwards in this competition, and its also proven that they don’t rely totally on Samuel Eto’o for goals. Even if he does have a bad day then others can also hit the net. I really don’t see Ghana as odds on favourites in this match and I will readily bet on Cameroon +0.5. I would stake even more but I feel now at this stage it would be silly to put too many eggs into one basket. I think Cameroon will take Ghana into at least ET, and have a fine chance of progressing to the final. Ivory Coast -0.75 AH @ 1.92 Pinnacle 3/10 There’s no doubt that Ivory Coast have been the best team in this competition so far and are strong favourites to win it outright. For me, there are a class above Egypt and should be able to get the job done inside 90 minutes. They have scored goals and created chances at will in this tournament and I just feel they should have too much. Egypt are a strange side, a team who I have found one of the hardest to predict in any major international competition. They have blown hot and cold, showing us a range of different performances. At times, their skill and pace is brilliant, whilst at other times they can be solid in defence and keep possession. If they get ahead then they could be a danger, and I admit its one worry I do have. But I just think the Ivories will overpower them here and I’ll have some smaller stakes on the elephants. There is more value n the -0.75 line compared with straight win odds of 1.65 so that’s what I’ll take.

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 My picks didn't take long - all expectations were for a low - scoring games in this tournament, but most games went Over. All four teams tonight are capable of scoring more than once, so my picks are Overs in both games at 2,10 and 2,00, both with 3,5/10 and a double with 1,5/10. Will probably add further 3/10 on each game during the live betting. Agree with the reasoning above and based on that I am also considering further options - most goals in the second half in both games or total goal minutes over 130. With 120 mins of play and less time to recover Cameroon should go for an early goal/goals and if it happens I expect a very open second half. In the case of Ivory Coast and Egypt as it says above these are the teams who look much better organised defensively and a goal in the first half is the most I would expect. Odds for over 130 mins are at 2,00 and I will probably go for it with with 3/10. Good luck

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Completely agree with Ivory Coast. Egipt were simply lucky in recent matches, especially when won over Angola. Angolian side had quite good chances excep that one they scored. And what Egipt did? A penalty and the second goal, which theit striker was very surprised even himself he scored. Ivory are great, maybe it will be very hard to beat defence built by two walls, but still I think thinking of Ivory to quallify has a possibility of 70-80%. Good Luck.

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Ghana over 2.5 Both Ghana and Cameroon have shown that they can score goals during the tournament and this should continue here. Cameroon have shown that they also have problems defending, as even though they have scored 15 goals in their 4 games they have let in 5 goals while Ghana have scored 7 and conceded 2. However Ghana will find it difficult to stop the form of Etoo especially without Mensah back in the defensive line while Ghana should be able to score against Cameroon Ivory Coast over 2.5 Ivory Coast have score 13 goals and conceded just 1 while Egypt have scored 10 and conceded 4. Drogba and Kalou have been in great form for Ivory Coast and they should cause plenty of problems for the Egyptians who also have the played pretty well in the tournament. Their cause should be hepled by the likely absence of Toure in the Ivorians backline. While the Ivorians have shown that they are thw class team of the tournament, the Pharoahs should not be underestimated as they too have deserved their place in the top 4. Both teams should be able to score on each other and look for either side to send it over with the winner.

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 I'm gonna back Ivory Coast tonight aswell. I fancied them before this tournament and regret not getting a piece of the 4/1 on offer for them to win it outright. I said to myself I'd watch their game with Nigeria first, I was impressed with them in that and they have been commanding ever since. Egypt have some dangerous players including the unpredictable Mohammed Zidan but I feel the Elephants will want revenge for their final defeat to Egypt two years ago especially Drogba who missed the vital penalty. Ivory Coast @ 1.70 6/10

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2

My picks didn't take long - all expectations were for a low - scoring games in this tournament, but most games went Over. All four teams tonight are capable of scoring more than once, so my picks are Overs in both games at 2,10 and 2,00, both with 3,5/10 and a double with 1,5/10. Will probably add further 3/10 on each game during the live betting. Agree with the reasoning above and based on that I am also considering further options - most goals in the second half in both games or total goal minutes over 130. With 120 mins of play and less time to recover Cameroon should go for an early goal/goals and if it happens I expect a very open second half. In the case of Ivory Coast and Egypt as it says above these are the teams who look much better organised defensively and a goal in the first half is the most I would expect. Odds for over 130 mins are at 2,00 and I will probably go for it with with 3/10. Good luck
I've added my last suggestions, and a further 3,5/10 on Over 2,75 in the Ghana game. Just think that in this semi the chances for more goals are bigger. Will back also Ivory Coast but on the in-play as I am not happy with 1,66 in a semi final, will wait till it gets to 1,85-1,90. If the Ivorians score earlier then my Over will look safer... Good luck

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 All four teams have seen games go over because in large part they have played teams that have not been able to contain them...I wish you guys well with the overs, but imo the late stages of a tournament are unders plays. Teams play tighter, not wanting to make mistakes, knowing they always have extra time. And these are mainly teams that haven't conceded...you're simply not going to see 5-1 scores here, as you did in the group stage.

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Ivory Coast v Egypt Without doubt, Im in agreement that Ivory Coast are by far the strongest team in this tournament on form alone. Deadly going forward, they are capable of scoring plenty on a good day. Egypt have a decent attacking threat of their own and I feel that both teams are capable of scoring tonight. Betfair's offer of 2.10 on that happening looks good to me with Drogba, Kalou,Kone, keita, Bakari, and Sanogo on show. +2.5 goals @ 2.10 Betfair

All four teams have seen games go over because in large part they have played teams that have not been able to contain them...I wish you guys well with the overs' date=' but imo the late stages of a tournament are unders plays. Teams play tighter, not wanting to make mistakes, knowing they always have extra time. And these are mainly teams that haven't conceded...you're simply not going to see 5-1 scores here, as you did in the group stage.[/quote'] True. I'm thinking the same. Wouldn't be surprise to see 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 scores in both games.

All four teams have seen games go over because in large part they have played teams that have not been able to contain them...I wish you guys well with the overs' date=' but imo the late stages of a tournament are unders plays. Teams play tighter, not wanting to make mistakes, knowing they always have extra time. And these are mainly teams that haven't conceded...you're simply not going to see 5-1 scores here, as you did in the group stage.[/quote'] Well, just hope you are only right about the first game, 8 points down by now...

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Well that was a fine example of how to win ugly, such a battling perfornance by Cameroon (Ghana as well tbh) A terrific result for me for the +0.5 today and also them outright. But Cameroon look fcuked now and will be very tired for the final. If IC go through tonight I dont give them much chance, for my long term outright bet I'll have to do some cover betting I think.

Get in there cameroon well done lads....bookies got odds messed up for this in my opinion it was always going to be close and 11/4 was far to big. lets hope IC can make it a great evening
Ivory coast are making it hard for themselves, currently 0-1 and as i went with an over 2.5 goals an Egypt goal was exactly what i was wanting.

Ivory coast are making it hard for themselves' date=' currently 0-1 and as i went with an over 2.5 goals an Egypt goal was exactly what i was wanting.[/quote'] Careful what you wish for. Egypt have now held IC to one goal in the last 345 minutes over four games.

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Got my overs in tonight but not in one way like it was supposed to happen. Lost pictures at 3-1 but not really fussed. As Matt says, its kinda typical of IC in one way. 4-1 as I speak. Truely shocking considering that Cameroon will probably spank Egypt now :loon

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Why do you guys keep anticipating us to be "spanked"?? *LOL* Sorry for all those who lost money over this, but you should NEVER underestimate the power of the Phartoahs! (Had both Cameroon and Egypt on DNB with VERY small stakes. Didn't even have the guts to place a double, as even I didn't expect us to win, and certainly not in the 90 minutes!) Yaaaaaaaay! *LOL*

power of the Phartoahs!
Sound like a horrible Punters Lounge racemeet drink/concoction :D:D:D Anyway, well done Youssef, enjoy your moment. :lol:lol:lol:lol I might have a small bet on you guys winning the next world cup on betfair. Current odds are a decent never.00 :rollin:rollin

Re: Africa Cup of Nations - semis 7/2 Actually, I spotted "somewhere" (don't remember exactly which bookie) odds of 2500 on Egypt to win the next WC. Try searching for that and place $1 on it. *LOL* Now you can't tell me we were "lucky" to win by 4, can you? We may not be the "best" in the continent, but we are the most "discilplined" team of them all, and we have a fighting spirit. (plus we have been playing with 10 players only all the time as Emad Met'eb looks to have missed the plane from Cairo and noone noticed his abscence yet!)