** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated

Obviously we all have reviews and suggestions on Jockeys, but from my point of view i really think Jamie Spencer is so over rated. We all cheer him whem he rides a winner, but the stats are there to see this year, his form on the turf in 2007 is poor, i believe he was the worst jockey in the ratings when he won his jockey title, and showed a -£212.79 over the course of that year despite winning the title He has been more effective on the AWT this year, and we have to look into some of his rides this year He rode Rique Heights this afternoon, a heavily backed favourite into 5/4 now he was not to blame for missing the break and they went a good clip he came there after making headway three out, go into contention, but the horse found nothing, but that does not give him the excuse to drop his hands and let the horse finish last against some terrible platers.. Risque Heights is most definetly becoming very exposed with 8 races under his belt and if cannot beat these types the owners have to look to off load him in a seller, which is probably the only place it will win. Jockey's should be slammed for not riding to the line, and dropping his hands and giving up should also be punished, JP Guillembert was given a 42 day ban for doing just the similar, but that was at the line. So again as i stated yesterday, where does this leave the punter, the layers are screaming thankyou Spencer you came through for them, but for the punter it is coming fustrating when jockeys do not ride out. I know i am leaving myself open for criticism on this matter, but i think you have to be bold in this game and state things you see and need addressing professionally. Wups - Thats my gripe of the day

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated Swings and Roundabouts mate. Ive backed Spencer many times, cursing him for poor rides, and other occasions thinking he's a genius. Plenty of rides by other jockey's can be put into the 'dodgy' category. It's always going to be a grey area when dealing with horses, who aren't machines and as such can always have excuses made for their performances.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated yeah he's a ****** alright, fooking ducks on both Swinbanks today the fooking noob jockey little shit:@ next time I see him Ill call him a fairy footed little whipersnapper

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated

yeah he's a ****** alright' date=' fooking ducks on both Swinbanks today the fooking noob jockey little shit:@ next time I see him Ill call him a fairy footed little whipersnapper[/quote'] You shook his hand at Wolverhampton on the way to the coach.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated Personally think he is a great jockey. It is frustrating that he holds most of his rides up. If he is a crap jockey then he wouldn't of won the jockeys title 2 season ago and the top trainers wouldn't use him. I havn't watched the racing today but seen he did loose on a few shorties maybe it was his fault maybe the horses wern't good enough. It's a bit like McCoy's rides maybe sometimes the price is a little shorter just because there on them and not on the horses ability.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated I personally like him and think he's a good jockey but excels in middle distance races when he can drop a horse in behind. He rode 2 winners at Wolverhampton when we were there and people may think good jockey but really he should have had 4 winners. That day in the 1st race he left his run too late and just got up for 2nd which would have been frustrating if you'd backed him yet he then goes and gives History Boy a fantastic ride at 12-1 and never comes off the bridle. We have to remember he's only young and will get better each year. The likes of Dettori, Fallon and Kinane have been around for years and he has a long way to catching them up and obviously went to O' Briens stable too early in his career. He needs to be stronger in a finish though, I think it was Mighty Magyar that backed him on Cleaver the other week. You had to be disappointed with that ride as he lost the race when it was in the bag. I don't think he's a great jockey in sprints and also couldn't believe when he got turned over on Ouija Board in Ireland by Dylan Thomas last year. That highlighted how good Kieren Fallon really is and how Jamie needs to be more crucial in a finish. Try get to see that race cos it was awesome at the finish. His ride on Cool Customer last year was very good too, last to first I think it was and timed to perfection.

I personally like him and think he's a good jockey but excels in middle distance races when he can drop a horse in behind. He rode 2 winners at Wolverhampton when we were there and people may think good jockey but really he should have had 4 winners. That day in the 1st race he left his run too late and just got up for 2nd which would have been frustrating if you'd backed him yet he then goes and gives History Boy a fantastic ride at 12-1 and never comes off the bridle. We have to remember he's only young and will get better each year. The likes of Dettori, Fallon and Kinane have been around for years and he has a long way to catching them up and obviously went to O' Briens stable too early in his career. He needs to be stronger in a finish though, I think it was Mighty Magyar that backed him on Cleaver the other week. You had to be disappointed with that ride as he lost the race when it was in the bag. I don't think he's a great jockey in sprints and also couldn't believe when he got turned over on Ouija Board in Ireland by Dylan Thomas last year. That highlighted how good Kieren Fallon really is and how Jamie needs to be more crucial in a finish. Try get to see that race cos it was awesome at the finish. His ride on Cool Customer last year was very good too, last to first I think it was and timed to perfection.
Top notch response, i have to agree he is definelty a middle distance jockey, 1m 4f - 2m this year i have watched him on good rides coming home comfortably..but i still hate him lol

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated He takes just as many bungs as the effin rest of em - the game is as bent as bollox culhane now caught, should be banned for life NO they get a little slap on the wrist. The HRA brought no charges in relation to the riding practices of either Culhane or Mernagh during any of the races in question. What TOTAL bollox

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated Jamie Spencer has cost me as much as he's won me....Two rides I'd never forgive him for Hawk Wing in the 2001 Guinees and Ouija Board in last years Irish Champion Stakes. But the one jockey I fu.cking hate is Christoph Somillion, that dick has cost me a fortune and after his farcial run at Chantilly last Sunday I'll NEVER back a horse ridden by him again.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated Now you can see why i have just wasted my money on Jamie Spencer this evening, with three appalling rides on horse's that got well here,and trainers inform..some trainers need to wake up and smell the coffee,spencer thinks he is masterful from the back of a race, when exactly he is the worst ever judge of a race on the circuit at present. Scroll - No ride at all History Boy - Over confident ride Time to start playing Spencer to Lay on everything he rides. and i am calm but there is no need for punters to get ripped off by a jockey that will never win the title again

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated Interesting debate here:ok Have to agree with many comments: Jon16 - fale prices of horses, due to the Spencer factor Mowgli - better at longer distances Jamie - one trick pony ...to name but 3. The thing with Spencer is that, when we wins, he looks awesome because he always rides horses the same way.....last to first, swooping late, going away. Hoh Mike on Saturday was typical Spencer, last to first, looking good. Similarly History Man at the PL race day. However, so often he doesn't quite get there or eases the horse rather than ride a finish. A poor battler, as Mowgli says. If he is upside 2f out with another jockey, both in the drive position, Spencer will lose in the majority of instances. For me, there is no middle ground with this lad - either he is awesome (ie, wins on the bridle) or crap. A good jockey, but Ryan Moore is far better.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated News from the track from a close friend at track side near the weighing room has informed me that a difference of a opinion with Jamie and the stewards on the ride on History Boy, no ban has been indorsed, but he has been stepped down by Andrew Balding on the ride in the last, and Jimmy Quinn has picked up the spare ride Now significantly enough spare rides at Wolverhampton have a 29% success rate of coming off. But the weighing room chatter was also into that Jamie came into a barrage of abuse from punters outside the weighing room after his poor ride on History Boy. Wups

News from the track from a close friend at track side near the weighing room has informed me that a difference of a opinion with Jamie and the stewards on the ride on History Boy, no ban has been indorsed, but he has been stepped down by Andrew Balding on the ride in the last, and Jimmy Quinn has picked up the spare ride Now significantly enough spare rides at Wolverhampton have a 29% success rate of coming off. But the weighing room chatter was also into that Jamie came into a barrage of abuse from punters outside the weighing room after his poor ride on History Boy. Wups
Just posted in your thread and the Wolverhampton thread reagarding the ride on History Boy. I thought he might get an ear bashing and thought he might have spit his dummy out and fcuked off home. He was awful in that race and as much as I like the kid I am the 1st to admit when he's crap. Fair enough drop it to the back of the field but start to make a move a bit sooner, you can't give other horses such a lead like that and I was right to be worried about it finding nothing off the bridle. Dreadful ride after the performance on PL race day, it was like 2 different horses but the same god damn jockey.

Just posted in your thread and the Wolverhampton thread reagarding the ride on History Boy. I thought he might get an ear bashing and thought he might have spit his dummy out and fcuked off home. He was awful in that race and as much as I like the kid I am the 1st to admit when he's crap. Fair enough drop it to the back of the field but start to make a move a bit sooner, you can't give other horses such a lead like that and I was right to be worried about it finding nothing off the bridle. Dreadful ride after the performance on PL race day, it was like 2 different horses but the same god damn jockey.
Well the source said Jamie was getting constant barrage of abuse from the punters when he came in..shouting "Tosser" Spencer f**K off home, how much are the layers paying you" so apparently Andrew thought it wise to change the ride and not cause him embarrassment. If i was there, i think i would thrown my pint over him, but not my jack daniels as he would not be worth that, but his reputation will not be great steed, watch him out at Newmarket, but i am going to warn you leave him at Chester, he has a 2% strike rate over 7 seasons. Wups

Now you can see why i have just wasted my money on Jamie Spencer this evening, with three appalling rides on horse's that got well here,and trainers inform..some trainers need to wake up and smell the coffee,spencer thinks he is masterful from the back of a race, when exactly he is the worst ever judge of a race on the circuit at present. Scroll - No ride at all History Boy - Over confident ride Time to start playing Spencer to Lay on everything he rides. and i am calm but there is no need for punters to get ripped off by a jockey that will never win the title again
Simple answer to your problem mate . Don't back his rides. If you have such little confidence in the guy. Richard Hills is another jockey that gets more than his far share of stick. Yet he continues to keep his job as top rider for Maktoum, someone who doesn't suffer fools. Spencer got slagged off for his ride on Cleaver at Newcastle but next time out the horse proved to be a dogde pot when given plenty of chance to win but just would not get on with the job. Bugs me when people talk through their pocket.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated Talking through my pocket.. I have no problem on the criticism with above line, maybe i will just stick to the selections and not criticise rides or their riders..Spencer is not the only jockey out there that deserves criticism..but last night at Wolverhampton he had a linch mob abusing him..so it's not just me who is doing the criticism, on course punters are also doing their b*****ks on his tactics at present. Wups

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated I fancy him today on at least 2 rides at Newmarket if not 3 but theres no way Im chancing it. Last night was a classic example both me and the wife had an E/W treble going. Hers was a straight E/W treble mine was a Round Robin E/W @ 50p both of us Took RyeDane thanks to Mowgli and Both had Green Pirate thanks to me:) the difference was I opposed Spencer by going for My Secret whilst he wife had History Boy. guess which one is the happier.

Re: Jamie Spencer - Rated / Over rated I think Spencer suffers from the spotlight which means when he is riding below par and the fact that he has a lot of rides make his failures more noticeable. It seems to me that a lot of owners and trainers are more than happy to have him on their horses and it is their opinion that weighs most, not the punters'. The proof of the pudding is his longer term reputation, not something based over a season or two and whether his employers stick with him. Personally I don't think he is riding at his best and hasn't been for some time. I don't know why this should be, but it will be interesting to see what happens to his retainers, next season, if he doesn't pull something out of the bag in the next few weeks.

• 14 years later...

jamie spencers ride on rodrigo diaz today is a typical i wanna look good coming late spencer ride well when alls said and done the best horse finished 2nd and the best jockey (de sousa) won) ive been backing horses 30yrs and have decided to call time on it as its hard to find winners but with spencer on board winners dont win!!    

AE compares the actual winners to expected winners.

As an example if you backed 10 horses at 1/1 you would expect on average 5 winners.

If you had 5 winners then the AE would be 5/5 = 1.0

If you had 6 winners the AE would be 6/5 = 1.2

If you had 4 winners the AE would be 4/5 = 0.8.

Anything above 1 is good, above 1.02 means you should make a profit at BSP.