PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe

Sir Puntalot

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe

Hi Guys, finished day one on 13,000 chips, gutted lost AA twice in the last two hours against 66 and 33. Long session mind you I was knackered by the end. Play next on Wednesday, although there are 1200 of 1600 and play down to 700, just checked and i`m about 1300th, so plenty of time to double through a couple of times. Just going pout on the lash in a minute as it is nearly 17.00pm and missed last nights drinking. Cheers for the support Joe
chip and a chair mate- just keep us informed- Joe we all believe in you, if you go out you'll still make us proud because you're there- give em the burnley joe gutterels- grrrrrrrr- we're all rooting for you- give fenners a big kiss too:ok

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe RE: slap Right, of course you can't give everyone equal variance, it's about giving everyone equal average/expected variance. Especially in a tournament with as shallow a blind structure as the WSOP main event (which is part of why all the big names crash out early, the 2nd part probably being effort and time investment considering their hourlies from cash games etc vs the 10k buy-in). And I just plain disagree that you have a better chance of showing profit if you start late with the same chips and are a winning player. That'd only apply if your positive expectation was so tiny that it outweighed by 'winning' only the blinds you would have posted, which would be such small PE it'd almost be neutral. Sure you can say that if you magically entered the WSOP heads up at the end with 10k in chips you'd be doing great. But that doesn't mean it's a linear progression up until that point, because again people are playing poker not just showing down random cards. If you're injected on say day 3 and looking to double up on a shove a half dozen times in a row to build a playable stack - I'm quite convinced you have way way more positive expectation as a player with an edge had you the opportunity to pick and choose situations and lose a few hands without busting through normal stack build-up over 3 days than you do of building a stack from there. Being a winning player just means you have an edge, if you're at the mercy of desperation play you can't exercise an edge, it's all down to cards, so you clearly have less expectation than you otherwise would as a a winning player. Starting late is conversely maybe even an advantage if you're a losing player, but advantaging losing players and disadvantaging winning players is exactly the opposite of what a tournament structure should be doing, hence my reaction to them doing this. And I certainly wasn't advocating late-starting players with more chips, that'd be even worse, it's just ridiculous that they're not starting everyone at proportionally the same time. And amidst all this, almost forgot :D.......congrats Joe, excellent stuff :clap :clap :clap

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe does anyone remember the first airplane film and the excellent saturday night fever paraody scene.. well slap and guess posts keep reminding me of the two girl guides smashing one another quite randomly throughout the scene...as they have done throughout this thread with no real link to the main topic no offence guys :ok just thought it was funny :rollin ps: yes I have fallen off the wagon - only in prep for brum this saturday

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe :rollin :rollin :rollin Ok sorry you're right, is a complete tangent I'll shut up now. On a side note, I went to a gig dressed as a girl guide once, was before I had the beard thankfully.

:rollin :rollin :rollin Ok sorry you're right, is a complete tangent I'll shut up now. On a side note, I went to a gig dressed as a girl guide once, was before I had the beard thankfully.
now thats tipped me over the edge :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe I can't resist making just one more point, because I think it's the key point. But then I'll put away my girl guide uniform and behave ... promise!

And I just plain disagree that you have a better chance of showing profit if you start late with the same chips and are a winning player. That'd only apply if your positive expectation was so tiny that it outweighed by 'winning' only the blinds you would have posted, which would be such small PE it'd almost be neutral.
But the point is that in a tournament that is not winner-takes-all, the more chips you have, the less each extra chip is worth in expected winnings, especially if you're a winning player: say there are 100 players, then when you start with 1% of the chips, your expected winnings are more than 1% of the prize pool if you're a winning player, but if you have 100% of the chips, then your expected winnings are less than 100% of the prize pool ... you only get the first prize. This means that even if you win chips on average the first hour, so your expected chip count after an hour is, say, $11,000, the times you do worse than average make a proportionately greater contribution to your average winnings, so your expected winnings could be smaller than if you started with $10,000 chips, no more and no less, after an hour. Because expected winnings are not a linear function of your chip stack, a slightly lower expected chip stack can be compensated by lower (or zero, in the case you come in as an alternate) variance in the size of your stack. OK, I'll shut up now.
And amidst all this, almost forgot :D.......congrats Joe, excellent stuff :clap :clap :clap
Yes, sorry to hijack the thread. Very well done, and best of luck on Wednesday, Joe.

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe Good luck, Joe. Our man (Steve 'Hillyfish' Hill) is somehow through to day two with about 18,000 chips despite taking a late hit from Hachem with quad 2's on the TV table! Who would have thunk it.

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe Just back from 10 days caravan holiday (no internet:\ ), in Cumbria, not quite Vegas :lol . Good luck Joe hope you go all the way :hope , good luck Hilly too as a regular pokerplayer reader I'm cheering you on too.

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe Funny as fcuk on the BJ tables again last night, as we all pretty much took them to the cleaners again! :rollin I was about $250 down at 1 point playing and went "all in" with $150 bet, showed 9, so all the PL crew hassled me to double it, and sure enough I did and got a Queen, and dealer busted, then promptly surged on to $1500 stack of chips!! :lol :lol We're off to the imperial again today for the 1pm tourny. Yesterday, I was about 15th, Fenner 13th, Gaz Blades about 20th, BJ out early (drunk :lol), Katia 10th and Pene cashed in $147 for 8th place. They are such baaaaaaaad players its unbelievable, but they were getting shit lucky against the races against both me & Fenner in particular, and Katia too!

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe I'm back, and I'm absolutely fooked!! 2 hours sleep on the plane is all I've had since Monday morning. :zzz Nice meeting you 5, see you all soon (for some hopefully very soon!).

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe Steve HillyTheFish Hill is through to Day Three. I'm absolutely flabbergasted! Down to the last 1,200 with cash in sight. Twelve months playing as a fish and he pulls this out of the bag. Brilliant!

Steve HillyTheFish Hill is through to Day Three. I'm absolutely flabbergasted! Down to the last 1' date='200 with cash in sight. Twelve months playing as a fish and he pulls this out of the bag. Brilliant![/quote'] :clap:clap:clap nice one hilly :clap:clap:clap :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe Alright then... back in London after a cracking week... :nana But very tired after flying all night :zzz Poker: All 6 of us played the first $ 50 + 5 MTT in the Imperial Palace, the second one we played, Gaz had gone to the airport. I came 7th in the first one and 3rd in the second one... about 60 entrants in both of them... ... so... up on Poker in Vegas :ok Katia went as 15th or so, and the guys before her... Black Jack: Fcukin ell... it has been some crazy nights at the tables. Neither Katia or me was very good at BJ when we got there, but Paul taught us over brekkie the first day :clap All 6 of us, and then 5, usually sat at the same table, drinking LOADS of Vodka/redbulls... having a great time... and profitable too :loon ... I am just a very lucky person... :$ Katia broke even, which she was very satisfied with :ok The guys did well too :nana Shows: We wanted to see a lot of shows, but we ended up watching only one show... BUT WHAT A SHOW!!! FEMALE CELEBRITY IMPERSONATERS... DRAGSHOW :loon It was fabulous, and Paul was easily talked into going with us :clap Dining: We had the best steaks ever... nuff said :tongue2 Clubbing: Well... we didn't go out much, we liked Bellagio too much, and especially their BJ tables :) HOWEVER... all 6 of us wanted to go out after playing monday night... and the guys suggested (as a joke I think :unsure ) going to a "Strip club"... ... Katia and I were very keen, neither of us had ever been to a stripclub before, and were sooooo ready for a lapdance... Off we go in cabs... "spearmint Rhino"... naked chicks with fake boobies...here we come... ... or so we thought... they wanted ID to let us in, and I didn't carry my ID and neither did Paul... so no lapdances... :sad :sad :sad ...at the "Rhino" anyway ;) We ended up in a bar with a pool table... and some :moon was kicked... All in all a GREAT trip... deffo coming back... ...and... The Bellagio is AWESOME!!! :nana :nana :nana Fenner, Joe, Gaz... it was great spending all that time with you guys :ok By the way... if the news is not out yet... Joe is out... his set of deuces was beaten by runner runner flush :puke :puke :puke

Re: PL in Vegas - PR, Pene, Katia, Mo, Ronay, Fenner, Burnley Joe Joe, just think of it as the practice run to taking it down next year! HillyFish is on about 9,700 and is starting in seat 6. With blinds of 800/1,600 and a 200 ante he'll probably get all his chips in on one of the first three hands. We should know by about 8.30pm as to whether he's out or doubled up. Stranger things have happened.