** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Masters

This gets underway on Sunday. I'll take one from the top half and one from the bottom half.

Mark Allen looks far too big a price and is a standard bet, for me. The bottom half is harder to call. I can't decide the winner of Murphy v Anda or Ronnie v Ding. I'll go with Brecel to re-ignite some form on the TV cameras. 

When you think about it, the World Champion at 18/1 here is quite silly, even without any top form since.

2pts e/w M.Allen to win Masters 14/1 Bet365
1pt e/w L.Brecel to win Masters 18/1 Bet365

On 1/5/2024 at 11:58 AM, Fader said:

This gets underway on Sunday. I'll take one from the top half and one from the bottom half.

Mark Allen looks far too big a price and is a standard bet, for me. The bottom half is harder to call. I can't decide the winner of Murphy v Anda or Ronnie v Ding. I'll go with Brecel to re-ignite some form on the TV cameras. 

When you think about it, the World Champion at 18/1 here is quite silly, even without any top form since.

2pts e/w M.Allen to win Masters 14/1 Bet365
1pt e/w L.Brecel to win Masters 18/1 Bet365

I've backed Allen also. Got 16's with a boost :hope

well, read that one wrong. I expected Williams to get through that. His breakbuilding not good enough. I haven't gone with anything for Wilson vs Judd but what's people's opinion on Hawkins and Robertson tonight? Robbo has had a month off but surely he'll be rusty.

5 minutes ago, Fader said:

well, read that one wrong. I expected Williams to get through that. His breakbuilding not good enough. I haven't gone with anything for Wilson vs Judd but what's people's opinion on Hawkins and Robertson tonight? Robbo has had a month off but surely he'll be rusty.

Hawkins at odds against would have been an automatic play for me. As it is, he's the favourite but I still think he should be shorter. Robertson seems to be in the midst of a kind of 'snooker mid-life crisis' right now and hasn't played well for some time. Hawkins has been playing well enough anyway to win this without the issues that Robertson has been experiencing. Maybe take the frame cap to boost the price.

I think I'll take the -1.5 handicap and so basically saying he'll win without a deciding frame. Ofcourse, at some point, Robertson will turn up and start performing again. He is too talented not too, assuming he still has some sort of motivation. However, as @Torque said, Hawkins would have a chance even without that. 

2pts Hawkins (-1.5 frames) to beat Robertson 5/4 Betfair

Well Hawkins got it done in the end but both players played appalling at times. Standard really was poor overall from the pair of them, with a few comically bad shots from Robertson particularly, interspersed with some superb long pots, but it couldn't make up for his overall level of inconsistency. Hawkins though wasn't much better, his potting left a lot to be desired, he'll need a big improvement if he's to go any further in this competition. 

I see that Hawkins has Ronnie up next. 🤣 If he(Hawkins) plays like yesterday, 'O Sullivan will wipe the floor with him. Will see what sort of odds the bookies are offering and see if there's any decent Ronnie related bets available. 👍

EDIT: Ronnie at 2/5 (with Paddy Power) to beat a player who struggled to beat the player who's barely won a match in six months? I'll have some of that! 😁

Edited by amity

11 hours ago, amity said:

Well Hawkins got it done in the end but both players played appalling at times. Standard really was poor overall from the pair of them, with a few comically bad shots from Robertson particularly, interspersed with some superb long pots, but it couldn't make up for his overall level of inconsistency. Hawkins though wasn't much better, his potting left a lot to be desired, he'll need a big improvement if he's to go any further in this competition. 

tbh it's that time of year where players either have time off or they get back down to it fast. A break of a week or more and you see it straight away in their play. You can see that Brecel isn't practising much at all. He says he does half an hour here and there. I mean, that's ridiculous. It makes me wonder if he'll just spiral down now that he's won the big one.

It's always a close match between Allen and Higgins but Allen has won the last 2 and I think he is playing the better stuff. I know that he has been practising and has had a solid 2 weeks. Higgins hasn't really been playing that great. Just one 50 break in his last win (over Wells) and whilst he made the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Open, who did he really beat of any statue?

With that being said, I'll also throw a point at the boosted 12/1 from PP on all 4 players today hitting a century. The competitiveness of Allen and Higgins may bring both hitting a century and the likes of Selby and Milkins are good breakbuilders.

5pts Allen to beat Higgins 4/5 Bet365
1pt All four to hit a century 12/1 Paddypower

Richard Mann must be smoking some pretty strong stuff, he was clearly watching a different match to myself! 🤣 Yes, Robertson produced a couple of quality frames but he was godawful for most of the others, as was Hawkins. A couple of big breaks isn't much good if you're making basic mistakes and missing straightforward pots the rest of the time. Equally for Hawkins. No idea how Richard Mann is coming to these conclusions. 

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/masters-snooker-quarter-finals-preview-and-best-bets-ronnie-osullivan-set-for-tough-test-in-barry-hawkins-clash/215050

14 hours ago, amity said:

Can't argue with any of that. Hawkins displayed his usual troubles closing as well. Unless O'Sullivan just doesn't turn up, I can't see Hawkins winning. First of all he's got to get the lead - which he might do - then he's got to finish it and that might be the worst aspect of his game. Dream scenario in-play is Hawkins makes a fast start and then back Ronnie. Hawkins has serious problems getting over the line and nerves seem to really affect him at the business end of a match.

Edited by Torque

I don't think I've seen Allen play this badly this decade and yet he's somehow ahead. Higgins must be wondering how he lost two of these last three frames when on the verge of winning both, particularly the fifth one when he rashly walloped the final brown into the pocket (thus missing it) instead of calmly finishing off the frame, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Edited by amity