Premier League Predictions > August 18th - 21st

image.png

image.png

Here's the 2nd set of Premier League fixtures with just 9 games to go at as a result of Luton v Burnley being postponed due to the ground not being ready yet. At a glance I'd say the two Manchester clubs are vying for the tie of the week label. It will be interesting to see the extent to which Newcastle's emphatic win over Villa was them putting a marker down for being serious challengers this season. Let's see your bets and opinions below.

It's too early to look at stats so I'm just going on a hunch here, but these are my picks:

• Forest vs Sheff Utd - Under 2.5 goals - I can't see that being a blowout
  • Fulham vs Brentford - Both Teams To Score - Last year's game was a goal fest. Also, Brentford just drew 2-2.
  • Spurs vs Man Utd - Man Utd to win - United look good value against Spurs. I expect them to beat Wolves so I might take them now before they shorten.

Treble gets 5.37 @ Bet365.

I pointed out in the Punters Lounge Fantasy Football Game Week 1 thread that Bet365 is offering 7/1 on both Erling Haaland and Alexander Isak to score anytime in the Manchester City versus Newcastle game which is tempting.

Overall, it's a very tough game week for picking outright winners. I was writing Wolves off this season before last night and even though they dominated Manchester United I do feel last night's inability to take their chances will cost them over the course of the season. I saw it with Cardiff in the Championship last season. We rarely got turned over and often deserved to win games but just couldn't score. However, I think there will be games where Wolves will score and I think they'll be angry after last night's injustice, particularly with that late penalty shout turned down. So I'm looking at the 10/1 treble of Nottingham Forest, Wolves, and Aston Villa for this weekend. Not sure if I'll back that yet though.

6/4 and 21/20 winners last weekend. Forest looks like a good price this weekend. I thought they looked decent once they got their subs on. Elanga should be starting all day and I expect them to bring him in. Sheffield United looked poor to me. Chelsea at Evens to beat us (west ham) away from home? come off it. Chelsea will beat us.

Man City are not a bad price at home to be fair (8/13) and that's coming from somebody who hates betting on shorter prices. I thought Newcastle were good against Villa but that's playing a team with a very high line and without the defenders to make it a success. City are a different animal.

Will throw Villa into a 4-fold over the weekend because I think Everton is a good game for them to bounce back, at Villa Park.

5pts Forest to beat Sheff Utd 17/20 Bet365
5pts Chelsea to beat West Ham evens Bet365
-------------------------------------------------
2pt 4-fold - Forest, City, Villa, Chelsea 15/2 Bet365

Forest should win, but the price has gone (5/4 into 5/6) or I'd have done a  meaty single.

I'll Probably have a go at the some goal scorers. Gibbs-White makes a lot of sense to score anytime against his old team, they will defend deep and he should be very involved. 33/10 isn't exactly generous but worth a go. 

If Awoniyi starts I might have a silly few quid on a hat trick at 80/1 and 2 goals @ 14/1.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:38 AM, StevieDay1983 said:

I pointed out in the Punters Lounge Fantasy Football Game Week 1 thread that Bet365 is offering 7/1 on both Erling Haaland and Alexander Isak to score anytime in the Manchester City versus Newcastle game which is tempting.

Yeah, they’re best priced about both players at the moment. If that’s their featured game on Saturday you could add a third element to that and get the 25% bet builder winnings boost.

Nottingham Forest vs Sheffield United

2023-08-18T20:45+02:00

Nottingham Forest

Doubtful: Harry Toffolo (0/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Omar Richards (0/0 d), Wayne Hennessey (0/0 g), Felipe (0/0 d)

Suspended:

Sheffield United

Doubtful: Daniel Jebbison (0/0 f), Oliver McBurnie (0/0 f, probably in)

Out (injuries/other): Rhys Norrington-Davies (0/0 d), John Fleck (0/0 m), Jayden Bogle (0/0 d), Ismaila Coulibaly (0/0 m), Rhian Brewster (0/0 f)

Suspended:

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more than 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Manchester City vs Newcastle United

Man City heads to this match after lifting the UEFA Super Cup trophy on Wednesday evening. Unlike their Community Shield match, the Citizens had more luck in the penalty shootout. The defending champions have successfully started the Premier League campaign, beating Burnley on the road in their season-opener. Although they kept a clean sheet against the newly-promoted team, Manchester City still has slight issues in defense. A much stronger opponent is ahead of them this time, but the Citizens want to continue their winning run. Kevin de Bruyne will miss this game due to an injury, while Bernardo Silva is questionable.

Newcastle United enjoyed a strong start to the new campaign by beating Aston Villa 5-1 at St. James’ Park. Thanks to this confident display, the Magpies continued their great unbeatable run that started during the pre-season. Sandro Tonali needed only 6 minutes to score on his debut, while Alexander Isak scored a brace. Newcastle United has big ambitions again, as they want to repeat the last season’s success and finish in the top-four zone. Their confidence is high, but we’ll see how ready they are to face the defending champions on the road.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

Newcastle United had more time to prepare for this match after Man City played a mid-week match in Greece. Although the hosts are favorites in this clash, we believe the Magpies are capable enough for the first major surprise in the Premier League 2023/24 season.

Goals Market Prediction

Five of their last seven h2h clashes went over a 2.5 market, and considering the current form of Saturday’s rivals, this trend should continue. Therefore, we expect to see at least three goals at Etihad Stadium.

Newcastle United AH +0.5 @ 2.30

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.75

Correct score 2:2 @ 16.50

Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United

Tottenham couldn't do more than picking up a point away to Brentford in the opening match of the season. Despite an early lead, the Bees managed to turn things around, but Emerson Royal equalized just before halftime. The Spurs continued their good form in front of the opponents' net from the pre-season, but defense remains the biggest problem for Ange Postecoglou. However, it will be interesting to see how Tottenham will deal with Kane's departure. One of the longest transfer sagas this summer resulted in Kane's move to Bayern Munich. Now, the Spurs should react on the market in search of a decent replacement for a great forward. In the meantime, they had a challenging task this weekend against the Red Devils.

Manchester United kicked off the campaign with a narrow 1-0 win over Wolves at Old Trafford. The visitors were not without a chance to remain undefeated, but Raphael Varane brought all three points to the Red Devils. Erik ten Hag's side aims for the top-four finish again, and Man Utd has been active on the transfer market. Although David de Gea left the club, the Red Devils have brought André Onana as a replacement. We'll also see Mason Mount and Rasmus Højlund in action at Old Trafford. Nevertheless, we will see how much Man Utd can do at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

We expect a close match that can easily go either way. Manchester United has been more successful in their recent h2h clashes, but we see a draw as the most realistic outcome of this match.

Goals Market Prediction

The BTTS Yes bet cashed three times on the last four occasions at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. This trend should continue on Saturday evening, and neither team should keep its net intact.

Draw @ 3.83

BTTS Yes @ 1.50

Correct score 1:1 @ 7.60

Mbuemo and Wissa both to score can be had at 14/1 with 365. The bet landed last week (when I forgot to even consider it), and in 5 out of 16 games they've both started this season and last. It's even higher in games where Toney's absent.

No doubt the stats are flattering but I think it's worth chancing at the price. 

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Mbuemo and Wissa both to score can be had at 14/1 with 365. The bet landed last week (when I forgot to even consider it), and in 5 out of 16 games they've both started this season and last. It's even higher in games where Toney's absent.

No doubt the stats are flattering but I think it's worth chancing at the price. 

Did you follow on that one @black rabbit? Probably the highlight from my weekend's efforts!

Can't find a scorer at an appealing price in the "teatime" game but I've done Maddison assist at 4.5 on the exchange (you can get 16/5 or 10/3 with the bookies). I don't often back in that market but I don't think he should be any bigger than 3/1 today. 

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Did you follow on that one @black rabbit? Probably the highlight from my weekend's efforts!

Can't find a scorer at an appealing price in the "teatime" game but I've done Maddison assist at 4.5 on the exchange (you can get 16/5 or 10/3 with the bookies). I don't often back in that market but I don't think he should be any bigger than 3/1 today. 

well done harry  👏

West Ham vs Chelsea

West Ham opened the 2023/24 season with a trip to Bournemouth, from which they returned home with a 1-1 draw. Despite being close to a victory, they conceded in the last ten minutes of the match but booked a positive start. The Hammers won't want to repeat the previous campaign, where they struggled for survival until the final rounds. They aim for the top-half finish this time, but they will need to do that without Declan Rice, who moved to Arsenal. Gianluca Scamacca also left the club, but West Ham brought James Ward-Prowse and Edson Álvarez. David Moyes's team will face the first tough challenge in the current season, as they'll face the local rival, who has big ambitions this time.

Like their opponents, Chelsea seeks improvement after a disappointing campaign. They opened the season with a 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Stamford Bridge with an exciting clash. Despite trailing 1-0 after 18 minutes into the game, Axel Disasi scored on his debut to level the score before halftime. Indeed, the Blues have spent a lot of money this summer (again), but they also reconstructed their squad and sold several players. Chelsea also had a decent pre-season, and they are confident enough to return home from this outing with all three points. We'll see if Mauricio Pochettino's side is capable of accomplishing that at London Stadium.

Local derbies are never easy to predict, and we expect a very exciting match. However, we believe the visitors are a bit closer to victory, and we are going to back them.

Goals Market Prediction

Neither team has been tight in defense lately, and we anticipate another efficient match. The crowd at London Stadium should see at least a goal in each net on Sunday evening.

Chelsea to Win @ 2.12

BTTS Yes @ 1.73

Correct score 1:2 @ 8.90