** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Sunday 23rd October

2 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

I want to try and get out of the habit of betting more than one horse unless in the big handicap races. 

I don't like backing more than one horse because I like to concentrate on one horse when watching the race.

The exception is the big handicaps when each way terms are for 5,6 or 7 places.

11 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

I have considered laying my selections but then I ask myself the question, if I think the horse is going to win why would I back it to lose ?

The main one that springs to mind was 4 out of 5 having won and the last was backed from 3/1 (my price) into odds on. I used the 'lay' function to make £500 if the last one lost (would have paid an extra £5k if it won) ... the odds on selection lost by a short head, so it worked out a little better than without. It is all about risk/reward and on that occasion it felt right. I rarely lay selections as it doesn't feel right, but occasionally it can help.

Cash out is weighted in the bookies favour but I have a pretty simple rule: which would hurt me more not taking the cash out and potentially losing everything or taking the cash out and potentially losing out on the difference. Quite often I have partially cashed out. 

I have definitely lost more money cashing out than I have gained but mentally I have been satisfied so have been able to accept it. 

14 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

. I want to try and get out of the habit of betting more than one horse unless in the big handicap races. 

Backing 2 horses in a race is fine IMO, as long as the prices are good enough (wouldn't back Fav + 2fav). Losing runs will certainly be longer with just 1 selection. It is just whatever you are comfortable with. 

You will be staking 2pts, but if the prices are say minimum 4/1, you will still make 3 pts as long as any one of the 2 wins. 

Winning 3pts from a 2pt stake is 6/4 your money, that's why you need the better prices. 

Your past results will tell you more about your selections.

It probably makes sense. Let's say you had won £2,000 from the 1st 4 selections then in effect you are betting this £2,000 on the last horse. I assume you wouldn't place a single bet of £2,000.

The logic therefore is to lay the last horse for £2,000.

Whatever happens you therefore get back the £2,000 that you have made after the 1st 4 selections.

The only real loss would be the 2% commission (£40) that you would have to make, probably a small price to pay for this insurance.

The only issues are that you would have to have sufficient funds in your betfair account to cover the liability and that there is sufficent liquidity in the betfair market.

To be fair all a bit irrelevant to me because I only bet in singles.