PDC World Championships 2022

Fader

Here we are then. Best time of the year from a Darts perspective, that's for sure. Lots of potentially huge matches before we even reach the semi-finals. On a side-note PaddyPower have a free £2 bet for each 180 on their first match ONLY. Meaning if you're likely to have a free bet on that player in the outright market. It needs to be the first bet. I'm going to take Joe Cullen as my first bet because he is a 180 monster. I'm also going to take him to hit the most 180s in the tournament because he has a nice draw.

Van Den Bergh is my first pick (away from that offer) He also has a nice draw and has the "big game" for the Worlds. He just has a tendency to peak too early but if he can be consistent he has every chance. My third pick is Rob Cross. Having a player that has been there and won it helps massively and although he may not be that player today, he is showing glimpes of that format quality. We already have Cross at 40/1 from a few months back.

A few big priced small staked punts will be Humphries, Dobey, Rydz and Ross Smith but Quarter bets to come.

2pts e/w Van Den Bergh to win Worlds 16/1 bet365
1.5pts e/w R.Cross to win Worlds 40/1 paddypower
1.5pts e/w J.Cullen to win Worlds 50/1 paddypower

-------------------------------------------------------------------
0.5pts e/w Humphries to win Worlds 66/1 paddypower
0.5pts e/w Dobey to win Worlds 100/1 willhill
0.5pts e/w Rydz to win Worlds 200/1 bet365
0.5pts e/w R.Smith to win Worlds 200/1 paddypower

Crazy to think Clayton and Price are BOTH in Quarter 1. Not to mention Michael Smith, Van Duijvenbode and Stephen Bunting. However, I think Kim Huybrechts has come into form at a good time and I also think Ross Smith has an outside chance. Huybrechts has beaten Price in the last 2 meetings between the two and even with "poor form" last year, he came into the Worlds and hit the ground running. Smith has won his first event this year and has the scoring power to trouble anybody and more importantly the finishing power. Small stakes on these two in the 1st Quarter.

Predicted winner Clayton
Value calls R.Smith and K.Huybrechts

1pt R.Smith to win Quarter 1 40/1 betvictor
1pt K.Huybrechts to win Quarter 1 40/1 paddypower

I like Van Den Bergh and Cullen in the 2nd Quarter. It's a much nicer draw than Quarter 1 but still holds Wade, Ratajski, King and Whitlock. Even the likes of Joyce and Van Der Voort can cause any player issues. I think in terms of value in this quarter, I'm going to take small punts on Schindler and Hempel. I've followed Hempel at the Super Series alot this year and despite his inconsistencies, he is a real talent. Schindler is most the same, I suppose. Huge scorer on his day but needs to think more about the doubling. These two meet and the winner has the ability to trouble the rest of Quarter 2.

Predicted winner Van Den Bergh
Value calls F.Hempel and M.Schindler

1pt Schindler to win Quarter 2 40/1 bet365
0.5pts Hempel to win Quarter 2 80/1 bet365

Quarter 3 has Peter Wright in it. Along with Aspinall, De Sousa and Ryan Searle. Searle was a player that I was tempted to take as an outright pick but at 33/1 it just seems alittle skinny for me for a player of whom I think would let the moment get to him in a big final. Callan Rydz is a top talent and he has the ability to beat any of these players in the quarter on his day. I will take him as the value pick here.

Predicted winner Wright
Value calls Callan Rydz

1pt C.Rydz to win Quarter 3 25/1 betfred

In the final Quarter we have MVG. Looking to bounce back from his average year really, despite such big averages. Everybody seems to play like gods against MVG and it's meant he hasn't had the success that he is used to. Nobody would be shocked if he won this event and he's away from Price and Clayton and knows one of those atleast will be gone. Price Vs MVG final is the most likely outcome if you had your life against it. However, I'm taking Dobey as a value call in this quarter. 

Predicted winner MVG
Value calls Dobey

1pt Dobey to win Quarter 4 18/1 paddypower

4 matches tonight including the Champion, Price. 

Edhouse Vs Hudson
Evans Vs Kumar
Lewis Vs Campbell
Price Vs Edhouse/Hudson

I like Edhouse on the match treble to start things off. PP have boosted it to 6/4. Edhouse has the better stats in every department against Hudson. He scores better, hits more 180s and has the better checkout %. He also has the better big stage experience and I think he wins this one. 

4pts Edhouse to beat Hudson, Most 180s and Highest Checkout 6/4 paddypower
2pt treble - Edhouse, Evans, Lewis all to win and hit most 180s 3.5/1 paddypower

It was really unlucky last night. Everybody won and hit the most 180s apart from Edhouse, who just didn't score enough 180s in his first match. He certainly gave Price a run for his money in the last match of the night but the 2 100+ checkouts and the last set from Price was pretty awesome and in the range of 114 i believe. Crazy darts and he has to be the favourite right now. Lots of Darts today in the form of 2 sessions. Let's look at the afternoon sesh first :

Lennon Vs Razma
Mitchell Vs Landman
Barstow Vs Norman
Gurney Vs Evans

The bet I like the most in this session is Gurney to beat Evans. I think Gurney has a decent chance of doing well in this tournament and I reckon he beats Evans with a couple of sets to spare. Evans actually played really well in his match yesterday and scored well, also. He also hit a big out but I think Gurney steps up here and wins 3-1. In the accy, I'll take Razma to beat Lennon and handicap wins for the 3 favourites. I've spoke about Gurney, Mitchell has the more experience in his match and Barstow is a player we've seen do really well at the Super Series at times. You'd have to favour him against the erratic Norman.

4pts Gurney to beat Evans and hit most 180s evens paddypower
1pt Afternoon 4-fold - Razma, Mitchell (-1.5 sets), Barstow (-1.5 sets) and Gurney (-1.5 sets) 11.5/1 paddypower (money back if one loses)

Gurney wins and hits most 180s. +3pts. Let's have a look at the evening :

O'Connor Vs Lauby
Meikle Vs Schmutzler
Meulenkamp Vs Ashton
Anderson Vs Lewis

We start with what could be a close match with Willie O'Connor taking on the American Lauby. Lauby is a really underrated player and he has some decent results under his belt in online leagues. This match will really depend on if O'Connor raises his game with the big crowds. I think we could see an upset and I'll back Lauby. I'll take a 12/1 accy that involves handicaps on Lauby and Ashton and a treble for a half point punt on them outright.

4pts Lauby to beat O'Connor 9/4 paddypower
----------------------------------------------
1.5pts accy - Lauby +1.5 sets, Ashton +1.5 sets, Meikle -1.5, Over 8.5 180s Anderson Vs Lewis 12/1 paddypower (one loses money back)
0.5pt outsider accy - Lauby, Ashton & Lewis 24/1 paddypower

Worlds -3pts

What a shame Lauby lost. How is it fair they don't have a tie breaker in Round 1. Lauby had one dart at winning the match too. So harsh it goes with throw. With Durrant next round, that match was worth alot of money. I know who I'd rather watch of the two.

5 minutes ago, Fader said:

What a shame Lauby lost. How is it fair they don't have a tie breaker in Round 1. Lauby had one dart at winning the match too. So harsh it goes with throw. With Durrant next round, that match was worth alot of money. I know who I'd rather watch of the two.

I've never liked that part of darts. In any tournament it's not a fair way to decide a match.

13 minutes ago, Torque said:

I've never liked that part of darts. In any tournament it's not a fair way to decide a match.

the fact in the next round they have to win by 2. Very harsh. You lose that match and you win 7.5k. You win it, you face Durrant who is hitting 80 averages. You beat him, you've won 25k minimum.

Just now, Fader said:

the fact in the next round they have to win by 2. Very harsh. You lose that match and you win 7.5k. You win it, you face Durrant who is hitting 80 averages. You beat him, you've won 25k minimum.

saying that, way my luck is at moment, if I went for O'Connor, Lauby would have won.

She was horrible. Said before the match she had been working on her doubling because her scoring was already. Ironic she had a 75 average. Today's afternoon session :

Joyce Vs Benecky
Barry Vs Lam
Wattimena Vs Koltsov
Ratajski Vs Lennon

Quite an afternoon for favourites today as I can't see any upsets here. I thought Lennon looked very nervy yesterday and I can see Ratajski winning that one without too much fuss. Keane Barry has had a decent Super Series this year and I would imagine he sees of Lam without too much fuss, too. I'm going to take the boosted 4-fold on PP on the 4 favourites.

4pts Joyce, Barry, Wattimena and Ratajski all to win 13/8 paddypower
2pts Joyce and Barry both to win, hit most 180s and highest checkout 9/2 paddypower

The first proper shock of the tournament as Ratajski gets knocked out by Lennon. Evening session sees the return of the old boy, Paul Lim and I reckon he can beat Joe Murnan. Here is the line up :

Murnan Vs Lim
Borland Vs Brooks
R.Smith Vs J. Smith
Wright Vs Meikle

I like Lim to  beat Murnan as I say. He has the experience on his side and Murnan just doesn't do it for me. He is OK on the floor but on the big stage I can't trust him. I think Brooks beats Borland. Brooks was brilliant when we saw him match Price for large parts of the game and despite Borland being a good player too, I think Brooks edges that. Ross Smith is a big favourite of mine. I've backed him plenty over last year and he's delivered with an event win at the Super Series. I can see him beating Jeff and hitting the match treble. He is a really good scorer, Ross and his checkouts tend to normally have atleast one 100+ in them. Finally, it wouldn't shock me to see Meikle give Wright some troubles.

4pts Lim to beat Murnan 7/4 paddypower
5pts Brooks to beat Borland 4/5 paddypower

4pts R.Smith to beat J. Smith, hit most 180s and highest checkout 11/8 paddypower
------------------------------------------
1pt accy - Lim, Brooks, R.Smith match treble and Meikle +2.5 sets 18/1 paddypower (money back if one loses)

Ugh, none of my players seem to be winning the Bull throw to throw first. Lim lost on a deciding set (awful match) and Brooks got beat by a deciding set 9 darter against him. Annoying, but atleast Ross Smith did the business and played some lovely stuff. He gets the match treble for the 11/8 but a losing day thanks to the other clowns. Not the best start for the tournament. -4.5pts

Worlds -19.5pts

Afternoon card didn't excite me much. Only bet I would have taken was Rydz match treble, which he hit but was odds on. Evening card looks abit better for betting on. Here's the line up :

Hunt Vs Krcmar
Evetts Vs J.Williams
Rowby Rodriguez Vs Kenny
MVG Vs Barstow

I think Jim Williams looks a good bet against Evetts tonight. Evetts many will remember went out 3-2 to Fallon Sherrock and now he faces a pretty decent player in Jim Williams. Williams had a decent Grand Slam Of Darts, where he beat James Wade. He will need to start well tonight but if he can, I can see him coming through 3-1/3-2. Next I like is Rowby Rodriguez. He has been really good in spells at the Super Series and he faces a bang out of form Nick Kenny. I actually tipped Kenny to win his group very early into covid a few years ago and he won that group. We've not seen him play well since. Finally, I'll take Hunt to beat Krcmar. I like Hunt as a player and if he can win, he should hit the most 180s.

5.5pts J.Williams to beat Evetts 8/11 paddypower
5pts Rowby (-1.5 sets) to beat Kenny 11/10 paddypower
2pts Hunt to beat Krcmar and Most 180s 5/2 paddypower
--------------------------------------------------------
2pts treble - Williams / Rowby -1.5 / Hunt  / Barstow +2.5 sets 16/1 paddypower

Nothing took my fancy for the afternoon. Happy to see Ross Smith do the business against Bunting. tonight's line up :

Kleermaker Vs Michael
Hempel Vs Schindler
Beaton Vs Sherrock
Clayton Vs Barry

Have to fancy Kleermaker against Michael. Kleermaker couldn't get here last year with Covid issues but he's had a decent year and has beaten Price amongst others. I think the match treble is a possibility but I'll take Kleermaker with the most 180s at 6/4. We haven't seen Michael Since 2017 in the Worlds but he has lost all 3 times he has been here. With averages of 81 (3-1 loss to White R1) 84 (3-0 loss to Wade R1) and 86 (3-2 loss to Norris R1)

The match with Hempel and Schindler could be a right cracker if both turn up. I really like Hempel and think he has raw ability. I would think Schindler wins this but I wouldn't rule out Hempel and it would shock me if he didn't take atleast a set, maybe more. Hard one to call. 

I think Sherrock to beat Beaton is a worthy bet and likely to hit the most 180s, too. Sherrock knows her way around these parts nowadays and I honestly don't think she will have asmuch nerves as Beaton. Beaton has already said how much he doesn't want to play Fallon and that means he is already, in his head, saying he may lose.

4pts Kleermaker to beat Michael and hit most 180s 6/4 paddypower
4pts Sherrock to beat Beaton hit most 180s 2/1 paddypower
1.5pts Both players to hit 6 180s or more (Hempel Vs Schindler) 9/1 paddypower
------------------------------------------------------------
1.5pts accy - Kleermaker to win and hit most 180s / 0ver 7.5 180s Hempel Vs Schindler / Sherrock win and hit most 180s / Clayton win and hit most 180s 18.5/1 paddypower