** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Non-League Predictions > October 24th

Darran

The FA Cup is the main focus this weekend and I have 6 possible upsets including a 4/1 NAP. I have an FA Cup 4 fold as well as 1 bet in the National League North.

Maldon & Tiptree v Haringey
Maldon were the big story last season in the FA Cup after winning at Leyton Orient in the 1st Round and I reckon they can reach that stage again this season. It was no surprise that they lost some of their best players, including their strike force, after the season they had, but they look to have a strong team again based on the start to the season they have had. They beat National League South side Braintree in the previous round and hosting Harringay from just the one step above will hold no fears. Haringey have had a decent start to the season themselves, but in the league they have had a pretty kind set of fixtures and in reality they probably aren't as strong as their early league position suggests. I think at 15/8 the home side are worth backing.

South Shields v Halifax
The home side have underperformed so far this season after having likely promotion taken away from them after Covid hit. They still have a very good side though and I just wonder if a game like this will see them perform to their best. It is a very tricky tie for Halifax whose only win so far was against Dagenham and I certainly think the home side are capable of causing an upset.

Stafford v Skelmersdale
Stafford have only managed to get 1 point so far and that was against a Grantham side who have only managed 1 point more. They have managed to score just twice and one of them was an own goal! Now they did cause an upset in the previous round when beating Hereford so they are capable, but that result does stand out. Now they are expected to win which they can't do in the league and I think Step 6 side Skelmersdale have a chance of causing an upset themselves. They have only played 1 league game which they won, but they beat one of Stafford's league rivals Lancaster in an earlier round so we know they can beat someone from this league. At 17/4 it is a sporing play.

Tonbridge Angels v Taunton
The home side are set for a season of struggle and they have only just managed to get through to this stage of the FA Cup. They only beat a dreadful Farnborough 1-0 in the 2nd qualifying round and then beat Chichester 2-1 in the previous round. Having lost two of their 3 league games as well it suggests they aren't up too much. Taunton will certainly be the best team they have played in the FA Cup this season. They were unbeaten before losing to the Met Police last Saturday, but they had a great win over Truro in the previous round and they look to have a great chance of causing an upset. When I first had a glance at the prices it was Taunton who stood out for me. 

Wealdstone v Hayes & Yeading
There has certainly been plenty of goals in Wealdstone games so far this season with them having 4,1,7,7 and 5 goals in their matches. They have won their last two against Wrexham, who missed some good chances and Chesterfield who were poor. I think Hayes are capable of causing an upset here. They have lost just once in the league and were going well when the season was stopped in March. They look worth chancing at a big price.

Weymouth v Oxford City
Oxford City did us a good turn last Saturday and they really do look in good shape at the moment. Obviously Weymouth will be a much tougher test than Tonbridge, but Weymouth have found scoring goals hard to come by in the National League so far this season although did score their first 2 when beating Kings Lynn on Saturday. I do think City though have a chance of the upset and look value at 31/10

FA Cup Acca
I have a short priced 4 fold for Saturday. Dagenham to beat Hartley Wintney, Darlington to beat Cambridge City, Maidenhead to beat Cray Valley and Chester to beat Marine. The acca pays 2.6/1 with Bet365

Boston v AFC Telford
Just the one bet in the league fixtures this week and it comes in the National League North. Boston have only played their opening day fixture because of Covid issues and as much as they won 4-0 against Leamington I do think the time off will be a decent negative here. They face a Telford side who have made a good start to the season winning twice and drawing once. As we know that draw was against Blyth when they should have had all 3 points. That gift of a goal is also the only goal they have conceded in the league so far. I think Telford at 100/30 is way too big given the circumstances and hopefully they can make their extra game time pay.

Maldon & Tiptree 1pt @15/8 with Bet365
South Shields 1pt @ 5/2 with BetVictor
Skelmersdale 1pt @ 19/5 with BetVictor
Taunton 2pts @ 4/1 with BetVictor
Hayes & Yeading 1pt @ 13/2 with BetVictor
Oxford City 1pt @ 31/10 with BetVictor
Dagenham/Darlington/Maidenhead/Chester 1pt acca @ 2.6/1 with Bet365
AFC Telford 1pt @ 100/30 with Betfred

Adding one more bet as Barnet have said 9 first team players plus the manager will be missing non Saturday due to Covid. Granted Leiston aren’t the best team you would want to be backing to beat them, but the team news makes them shorter than 6/1 shots at home so I’m willing to take a chance. I think they should be at least half those odds

leiston 1pt @ 6/1 with betvictor

Shame about Taunton who were the better side at the time they conceded and then they went down to 10 men when it was just 2-0. Still when you have 5 winners at the prices I put them up at it is always going to be a very good day. I say it every year, but I love punting on the FA Cup because it gives you a chance to land some lumpy numbers. 

9 minutes ago, Neubs said:

Shame on you @Darran only 5 Bet´s won... :D Just Joke - great Work again... I´m impressed that Maidenhead lost this Game...  They now will play Midweek against Kings Lynn who are paused this Weekend... Should be a Winner for Kings Lynn

Yeah not sure how they could go from beating Wrexham and Notts County and go 2 up against a side 3 leagues below them and then lose. Very strange.

Thank you Darran, what a great day!  I was even a little bit of a rebel because as a Boston United supporter, I couldn't back against us, plus I really fancy us to do well this year.  Came close last, but some shrewd signings means we must be in with a good shout.  So I went against the grain and included Boston to win in my acca!

5 minutes ago, porl99 said:

Thank you Darran, what a great day!  I was even a little bit of a rebel because as a Boston United supporter, I couldn't back against us, plus I really fancy us to do well this year.  Came close last, but some shrewd signings means we must be in with a good shout.  So I went against the grain and included Boston to win in my acca!

Think you will do well but was happy to oppose today given the Covid issues. Great credit for over coming those and winning