Racing chat-Friday 28th Aug

Irish cambridgshire

Very hard handicap .....and now the weathers turned....but the rated horses have form on soft so ill still play ...

High altitude ran well on heavy last time and sam Ewing takes off a big chunk of the penalty so no reason why he couldn't run well if the grounds heavy ...5pts win 19.0 betfair 

Mythological has collateral form with a couple giving him a squeak in this if he can get things together ....the 16/1 generally is a fair price ....5pts win 

Sir jack thomas is hard work ....always seems to get into trouble but is talented enough to win a race like this if he can get his arse out....25.0 on betfair is overpriced...5pt win 

Edited by richard-westwood

520 newm .

Live in moment 224 +3

Rio Ronaldo  222 +2 

Live in the moment is 7lb well on ratings so really should win this.....rio Ronaldo joins b Meehan after 455 days off so total unknown but big price at 36.0 if hes ready 

Live in moment 10pts win 9/4 willh

Rio ronaldo 5pts win 36.0 betfair 

Granted he's becoming a bit of a cliff horse, but I have to give Ballyknock Cloud another chance at Fontwell this afternoon. He didn't show a great deal at Newton Abbot on his return, but I imagine he needed the run as it wasn't as good as his form from last year. As I keep saying about the horse he is well handicapped on his pointing form and he's now down to a mark of 95. He steps up in trip here and interestingly he is the only horse that his trainer has run since racing resumed so they clearly think he can win a race off this mark. When he won his points he made the running and I wouldn't mind seeing them attempt the same tactics here. As for his rivals there are a few making their chasing debuts which always adds an unknown factor. Rivers End is one of those and he was well beaten in a Restricted in January on his first start after coming over from Ireland. He has got his handicap mark based on 3 hurdle runs over 2m. He's been backed at big prices now he goes chasing and going a mile up in trip. It will be interesting to see how he gets on, but on the face of it even off 79 he doesn't appeal as much as Ballyknock Cloud does and at 12/1 he is worth backing e/w.

Ballyknock Cloud e/w @ 12/1 with everyone

735 Newmarket - French Riviera 11/1 ew sky bet 4 places

Placed 4 times from 6 runs in UK including staying on at Chepstow on good to soft 14 days ago only beaten 1.75L over 12f , has placed form in France before moving to UK on soft going , getting plenty of weight off most of the field.

?

Edited by calva decoy
Updated results

12.00 Fontwell - 0.5pts e/w Manjaam @ 33/1 Bet365

Definitely has some work to do to get involved here on his hurdling debut but he shaped much better than his finishing position of 7th, well held in the end. He jumped okay and travelled up well to dispute the lead turning in before fading quickly between the last two flights. That was his first run in six months so was entitled to need it and I'm willing to put that down to fitness as his stamina shouldn't have given way that badly over 2 miles around Southwell given his exploits on the flat. It was less than a year ago that he was competing off marks in the mid 80s on the level so he's a decent type and still only 7 so shouldn't be regressing permanently. At the odds, he's worth chancing now he's had that first run under his belt.

12.15 Goodwood - 0.5pts e/w Wholelotafun @ 40/1 Bet365

Maybe bonkers but considering the ground might not suit some of these in a small field, I think it's worth having a poke at the rag here. Wholelotafun is more exposed than these and hasn't won a race but has shown promise in England and France and wouldn't be out of this off a mark of 70 given his price in a small field. Shaped quite well from off the pace at Chepstow when last running on these shores, keeping on well under a fairly gentle ride into 4th with an action that suggests that soft ground would suit. He's handled it when running okay in France and a testing 7f looks ideal for him, so with question marks on a couple of the others, we'll have a tentative play on the rank outsider.

1.20 Goodwood - 2pts win I'm Available @ 7/1 Bet365

It may seem like he's lost his way a bit but I think that's a bit harsh as he was racing wide in a much better race than this here last time and didn't have much chance at Kempton the time before when losing his place having suffered trouble in the run. Was competitive before that off higher marks in better races than this and has ideal conditions today as soft ground doesn't bother him. This represents a good opportunity to bounce back in lesser grade down the weights and I'd be disappointed if he doesn't go well in first time blinkers.

1.40 Fontwell - 1pt e/w Felix D'Autry @ 12/1 Bet365

Hasn't been devoid of promise in his career to date - sent off a short price when staying on for 2nd in a bumper despite being off the bridle for a long way and shaped with some credit in novice hurdles behind some smart types. Was never going to get involved at the business end given that horses have been rated in the 140s subsequently that he's faced but has finished off his races fairly well and shapes as if this step up in trip can suit on handicap debut. The horse he finished alongside of at Doncaster when last seen has won a handicap since off a similar mark to what this one runs off today and at a double figure price is worth a go each way.

3.00 Goodwood - 1pt e/w Theocrat @ 33/1 Bet365

Happy to take on the favourite despite winning well at Catterick last time as still unproven over the trip and races have kind of fallen apart at that venue lately. At a big price, Nigel Hawke's runner has shown some promise on two of his three novice starts and has shaped as if needing a stiffer stamina test. Was a sound enough 5th on debut at Chepstow over 1m4f before failing to improve when well held at Doncaster. However, that came just a week later and it's possible it came too soon. Bounced back with another respectable 5th at Kempton in a very hot race (first 4 home all rated in the mid 80s at least), keeping on as if the step up in trip would suit. Gets 2 miles today on his handicap debut and in a race where plenty have things to prove, is worth chancing at big odds.

4.05 Goodwood - 2pts win Iconic Knight @ 6/1 Bet365

Put him up the last twice when winning a decent race at Chepstow and then when unlucky last time when slowly away and staying on powerfully late on. If breaking better today he's got every chance off the same mark and has run well here before. Is a soft ground winner and if this turns into a stamina test there should be no issues with that as he sees out 6f strongly. Looks to hold a big chance.

One Trixie today

2.15 Font Flying Verse 13/8
2.30 Gd Oti ma Boati 5/4
4.50 Nm Man Of Promise 6/4

One £1.50 Trixie = £6 v poss £49.26

Other bets

2.45 Font Transpennine Star £2 win at 9/4
5.55 Nm Silver Samurai £2 win at 2/1
7.35 Nm Knowing £2 win at 3/1

= £6 multiples

= £6 Singles = £12 staked

Back later with poss lay bets

======================================================================================================

I strive to find a winning formula for my lay bets and the answer seems to be just to "lay" all my win bet selections ?

One winner today and one beaten by a head to spoil a double.  The balance C/Fwd is now £716.56 (£800 Bank)

No singles bets winner.  @Trotter once said that previous wide margin winners like Tranpennine Star in the 2.45 at Fontwell today can be a good source for "lay" bet purposes.  I couldn't figure out the logic of this but it sure seems to be true.

Luckily I had some money on my selection in the naps competition and that at least got me out on the day with a whopping 29p profit.

Some good class action at Newmarket and Goodwood tomorrow but even if the meetings go ahead we all have to factor in soft/heavy going.  Don't lose any sleep over it, I won't

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

20 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

520 newm .

Live in moment 224 +3

Rio Ronaldo  222 +2 

Live in the moment is 7lb well on ratings so really should win this.....rio Ronaldo joins b Meehan after 455 days off so total unknown but big price at 36.0 if hes ready 

Live in moment 10pts win 9/4 willh

Rio ronaldo 5pts win 36.0 betfair 

Live in the moment wins 

2 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

Live in the moment wins 

Well done with this.  I was worried about the inexperienced apprentice jockey riding this horse.  There were plenty coming at it towards the finish but the jockey held on OK anyway.  Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned about the inexperienced jockey factor?

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

Well done with this.  I was worried about the inexperienced apprentice jockey riding this horse.  There were plenty coming at it towards the finish but the jockey held on OK anyway.  Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned about the inexperienced jockey factor?

To be honest so was I .....I think if he was gonna be beaten it was going to be the jockey but the horse had plenty on them form wise so really it was a steering job ......generally I've learnt to stay away from crap claimers ....but occasionally a good horse and their claim on top is too good to miss lol