** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

BBC Teletext racing results

For some time, BBC Freeview SD channels have been the only channels carrying teletext - clearly it was on borrowed time. A week or so back, I heard BBC Teletext would end in the new year. Well, it seems like the new year has come early with just some old racing news on Page 660 today. I actually found Page 660 quite handy for results when downstairs. Of course I can use my phone or look at the PC upstairs - but still missed.

Wow, cant remember the last time i saw Teletext, its like going back in the dark ages.

I remember waiting for the declarations to come through for the next days racing, we never knew what was running the next day until about 4pm, now its 48hr decs!!

I used to watch the Teletext screens when the races were off and waited for the screen to change and show who had won, it was very exciting back then. Its funny you were never that bothered on how the horse won just which one won it, now we analyse everything and need to know how each horse performed.

It was lovely and all that but I wouldn't want to go back there

:ok

With Billy Hills on this,i thought that went over 10 years ago but do remember waiting for the results.Some pensive minutes waiting for it to update.Racing Post have replaced it with a ten minute wait for their instant results,some things never really change but thank the lord we no longer have to wait for the like,saying that,the tension did make even the last leg of a placepot an experience hard to replicate now.

6 hours ago, Donnyflyer said:

The good old days when you sat there checking your bets a the  blooming ceefax page would flick over showing placepot, csf forecasts sat waiting for it to flick back. ?

....... if you were desperate or your TV was an old one and didn't get Teletext you could always ring the racing results telephone line

or I think Radio 2 had a full Racing Results show at 6.45pm 

going back to the mid 1980s here !

16 hours ago, Trotter said:

....... if you were desperate or your TV was an old one and didn't get Teletext you could always ring the racing results telephone line

or I think Radio 2 had a full Racing Results show at 6.45pm 

going back to the mid 1980s here !

If I am right during the day I think it was half past the hour the results where given then every hour.

9 minutes ago, notanotherdonkey said:

If I am right during the day I think it was half past the hour the results where given then every hour.

On the radio they would give the latest results on the sports bulletins ,........ and then a 15 minute round up with all the day's results at 6.45

I've just checked a random day in 1985 ....... Tuesday 18th June on the Radio Times Listings Archive and it seems that Medium Wave opted out of the John Dunn Show on Radio 2 at 6.45 for 'Sport and Classified Results'

Also noticed on that day they had commentary on the Royal Ascot Races during the Gloria Hunniford Show !