Honest thoughts on RP paper and the weekender paper?

Hi guys just wanted to find out what everyone thought about the RP newspaper and the RP Weekender newspaper... 

Likes and dislikes? 

Do you love or hate any particular conntribuors/columns? 

What’s the better paper Daily or Weekender? 

To what extent would you recommend reading either paper to novices? 

I personally really like the weekender as I think the cards provide me with a lot of useful information which aren’t always included on other cards and I like the articles about racing in general and hearing what trainers have to say about lots of horses in their yard. 

Edited by MattA147
Spelling error

I only subscribe to RP essential @ £14.50 a month and that doesn't include the weekender.

I have never read the weekender so cant comment on it, A lad at work used to bring in the RFO which wasn't to bad for footy isn't that part of RP publications.

The only thing I read in the RP is the signpost page anything else I want cards etc I get from the free sites If I need to.

£14.50 a month seems a lot for a couple of pages but its worth it to me so I pay it .

I only subscribe from April to Oct as I have no interest whatsoever in twig hopping so no need for RP outside those months .

:ok

3 hours ago, Valiant Thor said:

I only subscribe to RP essential @ £14.50 a month and that doesn't include the weekender.

I have never read the weekender so cant comment on it, A lad at work used to bring in the RFO which wasn't to bad for footy isn't that part of RP publications.

The only thing I read in the RP is the signpost page anything else I want cards etc I get from the free sites If I need to.

£14.50 a month seems a lot for a couple of pages but its worth it to me so I pay it .

I only subscribe from April to Oct as I have no interest whatsoever in twig hopping so no need for RP outside those months .

:ok

Thanks for your comment Valiant Thor. What is it about RP essential that makes it worth it for you? 

I only use the Racing Post these days when i need to know the conditions fro certain races.

Many sites these days have dropped these and are difficult to find, even on the RP you have to go about it in a certain way else you get the basic stuff like everyone else.

Sometimes i just like to know the wfa, claiming price, if weights are raised etc.....

Eg: 440 Musselburgh today

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.05.49.png

I would never pay for the Post, there is so much more stuff out there and I cant believe i went to read an article about a jockey and they wanted me to pay for the privilege, I get they want you to cough up for information, pricewise tips etc... but just to read a basic article??? Come on they can do better than that.

I used to like the Weekender back in the day when we actually read papers but to be honest I cant remember the last time i bought a paper. Used to love the 'Handicap Book' newspaper. It had all of the previous weeks results and loads of stats and all of the entries for the following week and if course the latest handicap ratings. All can be done with a simple click of a mouse now, (and free) a shame really but thats life.

5 minutes ago, BillyHills said:

I only use the Racing Post these days when i need to know the conditions fro certain races.

Many sites these days have dropped these and are difficult to find, even on the RP you have to go about it in a certain way else you get the basic stuff like everyone else.

Sometimes i just like to know the wfa, claiming price, if weights are raised etc.....

Eg: 440 Musselburgh today

I would never pay for the Post, there is so much more stuff out there and I cant believe i went to read an article about a jockey and they wanted me to pay for the privilege, I get they want you to cough up for information, pricewise tips etc... but just to read a basic article??? Come on they can do better than that.

I used to like the Weekender back in the day when we actually read papers but to be honest I cant remember the last time i bought a paper. Used to love the 'Handicap Book' newspaper. It had all of the previous weeks results and loads of stats and all of the entries for the following week and if course the latest handicap ratings. All can be done with a simple click of a mouse now, (and free) a shame really but thats life.

Couldn’t agree with you more about the increased level of detail for weights penalties, wfa etc. It’s a big reason I like the weekender 

21 minutes ago, MattA147 said:

What do you guys think about the content that is in the physical newspaper that isn’t stats, form and cards? I.e the articles, comments and tips from the supposed experts like Tom Segal, Lee Mottershead, Paul Kealy etc. ? 

I dont buy the newspaper or read it.

As for the tipsters :eyes

image.png.d51e5280383c7b82cd822014c8a2da63.png

Tom Segal, Lee Mottershead, Paul Kealy are no different

need I say more............

Edited by Valiant Thor

Back in the dark ages I used to buy the Sporting Life, then the Racing Post when the Life closed down

Also the Weekender and the 'Handicap Book' ……… the two weekly papers

Also the glossy monthly called something like 'Pacemaker'

But I haven't bought any of them for years

Not sure what features are still in the Weekender ….. I think they merged with the Handicap Book but I'm not sure. The only bits I used to read were Nick Mordin's Systems column and the Two Year Old Ratings column …….. by Mel Somebody ?

Basically I just bought them for the form not the articles and now that all the form is available online I can't see the point of buying the print versions

I'm surprised they sell enough copies to keep going.

1 hour ago, MattA147 said:

What do you guys think about the content that is in the physical newspaper that isn’t stats, form and cards? I.e the articles, comments and tips from the supposed experts like Tom Segal, Lee Mottershead, Paul Kealy etc. ? 

Matt, You doing a survey or something for a degree?

you keep saying you are a 'newbie' to racing yet you seem to know all the trade papers, columnists, and various other stuff?

Not bothered, just asking. 

Not at all, I am a Uni student though. I am relatively new to horse racing, I’ve read lots of beginners guides and books both online and in print and tried my best to immerse myself in the sport. I am a very enthusiastic beginner looking to learn as much as I can from those more experienced. 

What I lack (probably due to my age as I’m only 21) are people to chat with and ask questions about horse racing. So when I have questions about something I haven’t quite understood, want to chat about a topic

1 hour ago, BillyHills said:

Matt, You doing a survey or something for a degree?

you keep saying you are a 'newbie' to racing yet you seem to know all the trade papers, columnists, and various other stuff?

Not bothered, just asking. 

or whether the approach I’m taking is the most sensible I turn to punters lounge. 

As a sports punter rather than racing (2 legs good, four legs bad) I used to buy the RP for the sports content, mainly at weekend. I also used to buy the RFO every week.

The heyday of the paper, for me, was pre internet and Sunday racing, getting the paper delivered on a Saturday morning with all the Saturday and Sunday sport in it.

These days I only buy it very rarely, e.g. when the big World Cup and pre-season pull-outs are in there. Currently, most of the sports content is free to view online. Prior to that being the case I sometimes used to get the iPad edition but that's being pulled now in favour of straight online access rather than something you download.

Agreed Harry. The world moved on and the RP became even bigger when online. Unfortunately like Oddschecker and a few others, their arrogance is blinding in everything they do. RP are a big company but you don't have to sell out the people that put you there. Anyway, we'll be taking chunks out of both of them over time. ;)