Weekly Naps Competition, Day 3, Tuesday 4th August 2015

4.45 Catterick - Solar Spirit win @ 7/1 Bet365 Has not been at his best for a few races and at 10 years old won't be improving but he is on a career low mark of 71 and won this last year off a mark of 73. He's a course regular and has 5 course wins with 3 coming over todays C&D. He seems to go on any ground so the conditions are fine. This race is easier than his last few and the last time he took part in a class 5 race he finished a close up third.

7.50 Chelmsford: Class 3 Handicap, 10f The two fillies at the top of the market could be hard to beat here. Talawat of bottom weight will go very close if she gets the trip against this better opposition. Martlet makes more appeal as she is proven over track and trip. However I feel Taaqah is overpriced here. She went close over a mile at Chelmsford earlier this year, when runner-up behind Boonga Roogeta. She hasn't been seen to best effect in her last two starts but the return to the All-Weather may help. She steps up in trip and that is the factor which may see her improving a bit again. On pedigree she has every chance to do so as a son of Arch out of a Gone West mare who has a stake in multiple St. Leger winner Leading Light. Taaqah has only one maiden win to her name yet, and that over 6f. It's is not given that she appreciates the new trip. But it's possible. There aren't too many in this field with a realistic chance on handicapping terms and therefore I believe she is a rather big price here. Taaqah @ 16/1 Ladbrokes

735 Ripon: Singeur 12/1 Skybet Ripon is not the most straight forward track with its ups and downs and you need a well balanced sprinter here. Singer has ran well here a few times and is a C/D winner so no worries on that score. Drawn well here in 11 against this stands rail which i think is the place to be. Paul Mulrennan has ridden him a few times and is back on tonight after being given too much to do last time by Kingscote. Good price in a decent race of its kind.

Chelm 6.20 - Cobana Sand - win at 14/1 bog bet365 5F Nursery With 1 NR and Memyselfie being useless and 19lbs out of the handicap there are 5 in with a chance here I'm going for the outsider of those 5 My selection has one good run to her name, beating Belvoir bay in a maiden. That one is a decent type. Since then she's been well beaten in a Listed race when upped to 6F, and disappointed in ordinary races at Chepstow and in France. At Chepstow she apparently didn't handle the undulations or the firm ground. Don't know about France.......maybe the couple that beat her are good ones Hopefully at 5F on a conventional track and a non jarring surface will see her run up to her maiden form Current favourite Surbett and Sign of the Kodiac both look like this trip might be sharp for them and they really need at least 6 furlongs Dream Dreamer is beginning to look like an early season precocious sprinter who's going backwards now as the season progresses and the better types come out Secret Ambition is turning into a rogue and not to be trusted So I've come to my selection mainly through eliminating the others

4.15 catterick strikemaster ticks a few more boxes than the others for me, especially as i like the angle in of third run back after a layoff. no trip and ground worries and a decent looking mark of 49, so with ignoring latest run and hoping for a run to ability, he has every chance under 7lb claimer robert dodsworth 1pt win 16/1 bet victor bog

Ripon 7.05 Azagal (15/2 bet365 bog) If non runner Ripon 7.35 Singeur Azagal carries top weight and rightly so. She has been running in much better company than this, winning two class 3's and a class 2 on ground ranging from soft to good/firm. In fact this is the first time in 2 years that she has run in anything lower than class 3, so even with top weight should still appreciate the drop in grade

Chelmsford 7:20 Monsieur Chevalier @ 40/1 bet365 e/w thanks Monsieur Chevalier...from James Given yard the 8yo has won 13 races from 5f to 1m 1f including 6 wins on the all-weather with two coming on polytrack . He ran 7 days ago at Wolverhampton 7f when finishing 3rd of 7 runners was slow away but got in race coming from last bend but hit trouble inside last furlong and to late to recover , The yard will be looking to get in frame tonight as its still running off same mark and get some funds for The Cool Silk Partnership

R7.35 Ladweb e/w 25/1 Bet365 This horse hasn't been racing as well as it did last year and the handicapper has finally relented and given the horse its lowest mark in a while. The booking of B A Curtis for the first time has to be seen as a major positive and the trainers runners are going really well. The ground might have been a touch too firm on its last few runs as well so this looks a sporting e/w bet since if the horse performs to the elvel it did last year, then it should be really competitive here.

Might be a bit stupid joining the comp so late on but will give it a shot! My pick is Wild Desert at 5:35 Salisbury. Currently 2/1. I fancy timmy murphy to see this one home in good style!
Great start and welcome to the site, just a wee heads up to quote your bookmaker for the future, wee link for odds checker below. http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing