Weekly Naps Competition, Day 6, Friday 31st July 2015

GOODWOOD 3 10: Big Baz @ 40/1 e/w thanks Big Baz.....from William Muir yard the 5yo been a good horse for the The Big Baz Partnership when it won his first race on a racetrack as a 3yo in December 2013 in a Ladbrokes Maiden Stakes class 5 race over 1m with the owner never thinking he would have won 5 races and 5 seconds and 2 third place finishes and saw it run in some top races and make class 1 races, A frame finish here would be a boost for owners on there journey to some off the top races and tracks he's been too, His last run the yard swapped the jockey to Steve Drowne only 13 days ago at Newbury 10f when he finished 5th of 6 runners but with regular jockey Martin Dwyer and reverting back to 8f the distance all his wins came at must be a plus and hopefully a frame finish and a good day out for owners

T2.55 X Raise 28/1 Bet365 Rob Hornby is for my money the best 5lb claimer around and his rides are always worth noting especially before his claim gets reduced to 3lb. This trainer has booked him for the first time on this unexposed horse that is being stepped up in trip here. The horse is by Aussie Rules whose progeny at the course yield very positive stats of 7 from 24 (29%).

3.10: >Betfred Mile (Class 2 handicap) (1m) Red Avenger won this last year off 3lbs lower, he comes here in decent nick having dead-heated at Newcastle and should go well. Top weight GM Hopkins won the Hunt Cup by a neck, which ended a frustrating run of defeats; he now has to back that up from stall 18, which doesn’t help. Basem has won two tough handicaps but has now gone up 10lbs in the process and I much prefer the chances of So Beloved, the David O’Meara 5yo has been in good form and we can forget his last run at York when he was hampered. A return to a mile could see him improve further and is drawn well in box seven. Selection: So Beloved 18/1 >Bet365

Gd 4.20 - Zahrat Narjis - win at 12/1 bog bet365 Nursery Looking beyond the horses with winning form in maidens My selection has run in 3 maidens, in each case finishing a couple of lengths behind very promising winners. As she hasn't won the handicapper might have been lenient ........I tend to think that the winners get marked up in the ratings beyond the placed horses Has tending to be finishing well in her races which could be handy here in a big field where the pace is going to be frantic running downhill ......hopefully she'll be running on through tiring horses

2.35 Goodwood: Thoroughbred Stakes (Group 3) Bold entry from Mick Channon to send his classy filly Malabar into the race. But then, there are good reasons for it. Goodwood is the place of her biggest triumph, when she landed a Group 3 here last year. Since then she contested at the highest level against top class opposition while performing consistently well. She is however a filly who runs consistently into trouble as well. She was unlucky in a handful of her starts, most recently in the Irish 1000 Guineas and subsequently the Prix De Diane. She drops markedly in class today and I believe that should make all the difference. She just doesn't have quite the high cruising speed or change of gear you need at Group 1 level. But down in Group 3 class, she should be a major player in this wide open race. Visors fitted may help her to stay focused until the race is over as she often travelles well but seem to lack sharpness when it really matters. Negative is De Sousa who just can't ride Goodwood. But it's worth the risk as Malabar strikes me as a filly with a massive chance. Malabar @ 10/1 Sportinbet

3.10 goodwood magic city has me interested, along with several others, but i just keep coming back to this one. i feel the horse is decent and could go close today with no trip and ground worries and a jockey who looks class, mixed with good course form, i like this one as the value bet of the day. 1pt win 12/1 bet365 bog

8.55 muss Saxonette win 9/1 ladbrokes Won over Cd on penultimate and failed to fire lto off 4lbs higher , runs off lto mark but megan carberry now rides and takes off 5 so a lb below last win.Decent record over CD and in this company , should go well.