Weekly NAP Competition, Day 1, Sunday 28th June 2015 - Selections

5.05 Windsor Hard to Handel win 7/1 bet365 Ran better than finishing postion lto suggests when finishing 8th , only btn just under 4L and met some trouble in running at newmarket Doesnt have benefit of jocks 7lbs but kingscote is a good jockey though and has application of cheekpieces for first time. Beckett one of the better trainers here of 3yo h.cappers.

3.35 UTTOXETER TWIRLING MAGNET @ 12'S Paddy Power Trainer won this race in 2013 and looked like he might do so again last year with this horse, he had every chance but fell at the last. He ran off 140 last year but comes into the race this year off only 137. Last three wins have all come off higher marks and all his best form is on this type of ground. Seems to have got his confidence back in Hunter Chases after 4 non completions and is worth a try back in this company at a double figure price.

Uttox 2.00 - Martha's Benefit - EW at 40/1 bog Skybet maiden hurdle my selection has run OK in a couple of mares only bumpers, in particular her last race looked quite a good one with a very promising winner she travelled well and weakened one out hopefully after a couple of runs this season she'll be fitter and run t the line gets the mares allowance and a 3lb claimer

16:35 Windsor - Ogbourne Downs - 1pt win @ 8/1 BetVictor BOG I reckon the selection could be battling it out with scooner at the finish as this extended 8f is sure to suit both. At the current prices I simply have to take a chance on this one with the useful George Blackwell on board (worth highlighting he's been on board last twice). Best of luck all.

W2.50 Major Pusey 9/4 Bet365 This one is a shorter price than I normally like to back, but there's not a lot of value out there today. The horses win at Goodwood is particularly interesting since both the 3rd and 4th in that race have franked the form significantly (the 2nd hasn't been out since). That form therefore looks really strong. The horse is clearly a 5 furlong horse so the run over 6 last time out can be glossed over and the horse could be back to winning ways here over the minimum trip.

3.35 Uttoxeter: Thomas Wild 20/1 Skybet Best race of the day and plenty in with a chance here. I was going to put up Twirling Magnet but the shortening of the price and the recent rain has put me off, he should go well but not value at 8/1 on my book. The Pipe horse Ainsi Fiddles is tempting at around 12/1, he was winning a couple of races at this time last year but i'm just not convinced he'e worth his mark at present. I'm plumping for the Hobbs horse Thomas Wild, mainly because he definitely shouldn't be 20/1. I know Johnson isn't on board he cant do the weight so has gone Cartmel and Nolan won on him at Exeter anyway so i'm not worried about that. He stays well, jumps well and won't mind anymore rain and looks sure to be in the mix in my eyes.

3.20 Curragh: Handicap (60-90), 7f I would duly expect Aiden O'Brien's Cenotaph to show dramatic improvement for the drop in trip. This War Front son has pace but didn't stay 10f the other day. He's potentially on a lenient mark. But this is very much reflected in the short price, and therefore I'm pting for a bit of value, which is to find in another potentially well handicapped horse. Doc Holliday is probably not the most prolific horse but he drops to a handy mark today. He wasn't disgraced in two starts on the All-Weather this year, although a mile seems to stretch his stamina. That says his 1½ fourth in a ultra competitive 1m Handicap here at the Curragh last October rates extremely strong form. The drop to 7 furlongs is today seems perfect. He has been successful over course and distance last season of a 1lb lower mark. But with the apprentice allowance of 5lb in hand, he's certainly well in at the weights. Doc Holliday @ 14/1 Paddy Power

Uttoxeter 3:35 Universal Soldier @ 20/1 William Hill e/w thanks Universal Soldier....from Matt Sheppard yard the 10yo was previously with Gareth Moore yard and only came to new yard on May 25th this year when he was running Hunt Chase for the Moore yard , He's been a winner of two hurdle races, three chases and a point-to-point from 2m 4f to 4m 1f on good to soft and soft ground and had its first run for new yard 29 days ago at Stratford AMG Logistics Handicap Chase 3m.3f.119y when it finished 3rd beaten by 15 length , With that being it first run for new yard they will have been pleased with that run and have had a couple of weeks to work on horse , He's ran once with cheekpieces on when PU on soft going at Warwick in 2013 , the new yard are having them on for today's race so they must think there might be a bit of improvement as I expect they tried them at home on the gallops, Jockey Charlie Poste was in saddle in last run and takes the ride again today

3:45 Cartmel - Shrapnel - 1pt win 7/1 Bet365 Ran something back to decent form lto carrying 11-12 against two decent yardsticks and giving weight away couldn't have helped. Ellison has taken this horse at a mark of 134 and got it down to 115 today. A grade 3 chase winner in Ireland, whilst 9 years old, it won't be improving hugely anymore but can be competitive off this mark in what looks a winnable race.

3.35 uttoxeter benbane head is very hit and miss and needs things to drop right, but on his day can win this race with ease. id like to think he will try to lead and run his race, then over this trip and this ground he should be hard to pass. price is there to take the chance. 1pt win 14/1 stan james bog