** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

BBOTD - Friday 2nd August

18.20 Thirsk: Partner @ 10/1 Bet365 Partner looks not the old force this year and as a result he slipped a long way down the mark. He showed a clear return to form at Ayr recently though. He travelled quite well but got simply stuck in traffic, with no way to get out really. Over 1f out his jockey opted for a switch to the outside when finally bit of space opened up. Partner had to find his stride again but picked up eventually and finished well, but the bird was long flown at this point obviously. His mark dropped another 3lb for this effort and I think he's really dangerously handicapped now. If he's in the right mood and get a clear run he could be hard to beat in this race tomorrow, as well as he is 1/1 over course and distance which is a bonus regarding his chance.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 3.05 Goodwood - Fire Ship EW @ 16/1 Bet365 Why is it I am always inclined to try and pick the winner of the most competitive race of the day? The one I do like in this race is Fire Ship who won very nicely on Sunday at Pontefract beating some good horses in the process. He has to carry a 3lb penalty in this race but horses carrying penalties actually have a very good record in this race so that doesn't put me off. He is well drawn in 7, which is very important on this turning track and he likes to race prominently. Neil Callan has ridden this horse twice in the past and won both times on him. I think he has an excellent each way chance in this for a trainer who went close today with Aussie Reigns. The Mark Johnston trio have to be feared given he has taken 3 of the last 4 renewals of this race and I would probably side with Galician out of the 3. Fire Ship however comes into this race on the back of a career best performance and looks set to run a big race with everything in his favour.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 7.50 Musselbrough - Avon Breeze 11/2 BetVictor BOG I really like the look of this horse and I think she is one to keep the right side of, especially with a little bit of give underfoot. Her last 4 runs have been consistently impressive, starting with a cosy on the bit win by 3l at Ripon, then narrowly going down to a NTO C3 hcap winner on ground quicker than she would like before again winning in slightly easier conditions at Carlisle where the 4 or 5 horses behind have all upheld the form. She then ran another big race behind a horse that came a close 3rd in another good Newmarket C3 hcap LTO again on quicker than ideal ground and she also raced on the slightly more unfancied part of the track in the closing stages. Oil Strike is a very live danger as I also have him well in based on his last two runs but he is stepping up 2 grades in the handicap which is a step too far for my liking at around 7/2-3/1.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 1430 goodwood 1pt win montiridge 13/8 bet365 ive put this colt up a few times in bbotd,and i see no reason to desert him now,he has won 4 and place 3 times in his 7 races, trip is fine and he seems at home in most conditions and with the hughes/hannon in some good form,it may pay to follow

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August Goodwood 3:05 - Betfred Mile (Heritage Handicap) (2) In such a competitive affair it is hard to be very confident about something, so you have to try and find value. Field Of Dream has been running really well of late, and I am expecting a strong late burst under William Buick to grab a place at the very least. Dream Tune is still very lightly raced and looks a very progressive colt. He has been knocking on the door in these sort of races on his last few runs and it is only a matter of time before he gets his head in front. Field Of Dream - Goodwood 3:05 - 1 Point WIN @ 18/1 Coral

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 3.05 Goodwood: Es Que Love, 22/1 Coral, e/w Es Que Love has performed very well in similar handicaps this season. Four runs ago he finished a ½L second to Prince Of Johanne in the Coral Challenge at Sandown. He followed that up with a 1L second in the 19-runner Bunbury Cup off today's mark. Trainer Mark Johnston has his yard in decent nick and Johnny Murtagh is a great booking.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August Goodwood 3.40 Swiss Spirit A little bit inconsistent but the pick of his form reads very well. The defeat of Lethal Force at Newbury over 6f in May last year stands out, as does the win at 5f back there in September where Kingsgate Native (3lb worse off) was 2nd. Got stuck in the mud in the Abbaye on his last start of the season & it was probably just a touch on the easy side for him in the Duke of York on his return. Then ran a blinder in the Temple Stakes on fast ground just behind Kingsgate Native (4lb worse off) finishing best of all. Little bit disappointing in the Kings Stand but still had Kingsgate Native behind him & Spirit Quartz who he also beat in the Temple. He's only a 4yo so should be more to come, the ground is drying all the time which will help & if he runs to the Temple stakes level he can take this. Bet. Swiss Spirit 1pt win @ 13/2 Hills BOG. Rio.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 500 Bangor: As I Am 5/6 SJ Its never easy to carry a double penalty no matter how good you are in these novice hurdles but its poor stuff today at Bangor and As I Am looks the best bet on the card for me. Beaten once in three starts and that was over 3m where she didnt quite stay but bounced back alt time at Southwell in a very poor race it has to be said. The danger is the Bridgewater horse Crazy but that won a similar poor event and although she could improve i'm not sure she has the scope of the selection.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 5.05 Galway Backdrop 11/8 Boylesports BOG Backdrop who finished 4th of 6 to Exogenesis at Leopardstown last month where she ran green and pulled too hard will know more about her job today. Dropped into a much lower grade and receiving the 5lbs fillies allowance from the colts I expect her to win and win easily. 1 Point win for nap purposes Backdrop 11/8 Boylesports BOG

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August T6.20 Keep It Dark e/w 10/1 Boylesports I just managed to get on this before the price started going, it might turn out to be a gamble in this apprentice handicap. The jockey as always is important in these races and this jockey has just about the best stats in the race. The trainer also has a good record at the track. In fact partly the reason for thinking the horse can go well here is that the majority of its races have has a jockey on board with just about the worst record around (D Simmonsen). Trip and ground should suit, looks value at a double figure price.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August Thirsk 2.20 - Steele ranger - win at 7/2 bog bet365 Quite an expensive horse for this grade Made his debut in a hot maiden won by Toormore who won the group race for 3YO at Goodwood the other day. had a crack on the AW next time and tried to make all but didn't last home over 6 furlongs Drops back to 5F today and this is probably an easier race than either of the ones he's run in to date.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 3.40 Goodwood - 1pt win Smoothtalkinrascal @ 8/1 (Bet365) David O'Meara's runner is a progressive type and being a 3yo gets a weight for age allowance here. He also looks potentially well drawn in 18 and conditions should suit with the ground in reasonable condition and a sharp 5f. He can be considered an unfortunate 2nd in the Epsom dash when last seen, rattling home from an uncompromising position and so long as he finds the splits today, should be going close for all this is a step up in class. Prior to that run he got his head in front at York from a subsequent winner on ground likely too soft for him so it was a good effort and he just looks a speedy type going the right way. 8/1 is fair with conditions to suit and with further progress in him, he looks weighted to hold a big chance here.

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August First bet for ages and I've had a look at one of my local tracks. Fri 2nd Aug 2013 4.05 Thirsk (10 runners) Not much stand out form in this race, but JONTLEMAN has done very well since winning at Lingfield in June. Has run 4 times since then and gone well enough on each occasion. One of the few in the field who is open to improvement and should at least make the frame from a decent draw. JONTLEMAN 1pt WIN @ 4/1 (SJ)

Re: BBOTD - Friday 2nd August 450 Goodwood - Ollie Olga I can't recommend you a Bookmaker for this bet because Betfair SP is highly likely to be considerably bigger than the 20s and 18s on offer from the Bookie chaps. Has some ability hiding in there somewhere and actually beat Sky Lantern as a 2yo. Showed up better last time out at Sandown and was carrying a 6lb penalty that day too. Horrible race to bet in really. The Gold Cheongsam would be another that came back to form last time and is a nice price at 10s but whether or not that performance is repeated is anyone's guess. 28/1 with 32Red if we can use them, SP if we can't.... :(