** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes In summary, if Ektihaam and Universal don't cut each other's throats early on, I really think Ektihaam has a cracking chance. Hopefully he will get the lead on the rail and string the field out, and he has stamina in abundance. He is a course and distance winner which is a major positive at Ascot, and the in-form Dane O'Neill gets the mount. You can make a case for most of the field here, but the Roger Varian horse looks great value at 8/1. Ektihaam - WIN @ 8/1 Bet365

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 Thouht I'd get the thread up before the early prices disappear on............. Asc 3.50 - Cirrus des Aigles - win at 13/8 bog bet365 Now that Frankel has retired Cirrus is officially the best horse in the world and one that I've followed for about 3 years now............... Has never won so seasonal debut so it was criminal that he went off Evs fave for a group one race this season - he duly got beat by Novellist who reopposes today Usually comes on a bundle for his first run and I fancy him to come out on top against that rival Two front-runners to set it up - I think he should be able to sit in behind them and whoosh past in the final furlong Probably not his ideal conditions............I think ideally 10 furlongs wit a bit of cut in the ground would be perfect but he has so much in hand today that is class should get him through providing the race last months has put him spot on

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 2.50 Wexford Sceilg 3/1 Paddy Power BOG Sceilg 2nd on her last 3 outings now moves back up in trip and Whelan takes over from a 10lb claimer. The trip and ground will suit and this filly has run in better races than the other protagonists. With Manning in Ascot I expect Whelan to ride a few winner, this one I think being his best. In addition I expect his sp to be around 7/4. 1 Point win for Nap Purposes Sceilg 3/1 Paddy Power BOG

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 Newmarket 2.45 - Al Saham 4/1 Bet365 BOG I have a few that I fancy tomorrow at bigger prices but they are in the big races so I am going to try and be sensible and pick my solidest bet of the day. I backed this horse when it won at Doncaster beating Ice Buster and Scatter Dice (who have run with credit since) where the horse showed a great turn of foot after being slightly hampered. I then left him alone at Sandown where I wasn't convinced his hold up style would suit the style of race and sure enough the race was run at a crawl and whilst he made up a lot of ground up the straight he was never going to catch the 3 prominent runners ahead of him. That race was pretty impressive in the circumstances and I believe that the horse is still very progressive and he has enough speed to be just as effective over this trip providing his jockey doesnt get him too far back. Im sure SDS would have learnt from his mistake LTO and he could take all the beating. Magistral looks way too short for dictating a race at Windsor and the main danger may come from Bank On Me who could appreciate the step up in trip.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 1630 newmarket 1pt win coulsty 5/2 paddy power won very easily on debut, and stepped up in class in his only other start at royal ascot last time out,and finished down the field,this may be more his class and with a small field to contend with,only 4 runners should get the race he wants

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 3.15 Ascot HAWKEYETHENOO @ 16/1 Stan James BOG ew .5 Last 5 runs have all been decent and in group company, the last time he ran in a Hcap on decent ground, he won off a mark of 103. His career is littered with good runs at Ascot and ran a cracker in the Golden Jubilee at the royal meeting. Although this is a good race I think he is the only real Group performer and there is not many unexposed types to contend with. Hopefully a high draw will not be a disadvantage.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 15.15 Ascot: Redvers, 12/1 >Paddy Power, e/w (1/4, 12345) Redvers finished fifth lto in the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket. He didn't have the clearest of runs that day but once he was in the clear he finished well. The same could be said of his run before that when he finished seventh in the Buckingham Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot. He runs from the same mark as those two races today and he should be capable of winning off it. He has a good record at Ascot running here three times all over today's distance. He won the Longines handicap at this meeting last year, finished fifth in a 26 runner apprentice handicap at the end of last season and finished fourth in the Victoria Cup at the start of this season. Today's ground will suit. The booking of Richard Hughes to ride is eyecatching and his style should be perfect for this horse.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 350 Ascot - Very Nice Name - 25/1 - Bet 365 This price is gonna go so happy to elaborate in a sec! Has form that ties n with the pricipals but is about 5 times the price!! Too big. Has to prove Meydan run wasn't a fluke but at 25/1, I'm happy to take that chance. Am fully lining myself up to look very stupid here but I cannot see why the 'best horse in training' is a 6/4 shot. Cirrus Des Aigles is in my 10-to-follow, I've traded all over him at the 7/4 that was available this morning and has the best form available by about 5 lengths!! However, I can come up with a few reasons he might not win including a somewhat pathetic reappearence, he's better over 10f, he's better on much softer ground and he was injured over the winter - Camelot anyone!? Can't have him on my mind at 6/4. Plenty of Bookmakers offering money back if 2nd to CDA so they obviously don't overly fancy it either. Oh - and he's 7yo ffs!! TO be clear, this is not to say he can't or won't win - I just think the price is wrong. There are at least 3 I would like to oppsose with at the current available prices. The above(VNN) finished behind SNA at Meydan - about 3 1/4 lengths without looking. Dunaden was just in front I think and showed that form to be concrete when finishing 2nd to SNA in the Corination Cup @ Epsom. Dunaden then finished just behind Novelist in CDAs useless appearence run so on that form line he's virtually the same horse as the 2nd favourite but is/was available at 5x the price. Universal and Ektihaam are both overpriced in my humble opinion but there is probably a danger they could take one another on. Couldn't put you off either one at the prices and both could trade low in the run. I can't back Hilstar at a price that is somewhat based on potential but you have to respect the fact that MS has supplemented the horse at a massive cost. Not convinced by the 3yos as yet so that's a line through Trading Leather and Red Cadeaux usually finds plenty good enough at this level. Good Luck to all as always.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 I was thinking I might put up Redvers in the Ascot 3.15 but then having logged on & read smith 17's thoughts on it I think if I did I might get accused of copying so I'll put up my other ew bet today instead. York 3.30 Mississippi Had an eye on this one since two blinding runs at Doncaster earlier in the season for David Barron having been with Brian Meehan before that. He then went to the Curragh in late June & again ran well for 6th of 30 in a valuable handicap off todays mark. LTO he was beaten less than a length in the Scottish Stewards Cup at Hamilton just held close home. This sharp 6f today will suit, he likes it fast so no rain please & Paul Mulrennan who's as good as anybody in these sprint races is on top. Bet. Mississippi 0.5pt ew @ 14/1 Betvictor BOG. I think a little ew double may be in order. Rio.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 3.50 Ascot - Cirrus Des Aigles 1pt win @ 7/4 BetFred This looks pretty straightforward for me. This horse is different class to this lot and will have come on plenty for his return to action. He is never ready first time out but he will have definitely be trained to peak for this race and he should take all the beating. He is proven at the track and managed to finish under lengths behind Frankel last year. I expect him to win comfortable in this... he is in a different league to his opposition.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 315 Ascot: Compton EW 33/1 SJ/BV 10/1 the field here, must be mental! Anyway cant fancy anything anywhere else and had my eye on Compton since going to Robert Cowell. Tried to make him a sprinter but going over 7f here as he did at Newcastle last time which wasnt a bad run. Slipping down the weights and nicely treated here and gets a high draw which should give him a clear run whether its the best side or not only time will tell. The price is big enough to temp me in and although been kept away from firm ground he has beat Rex Imperator on GF in his early days so actually may improve for it?

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 15.50 Ascot: Ducal @ 40/1 Bet365 Still a turf maiden but I thought he ran with credit on a couple of occasions, particularly in his last two starts when he really caught my eye. He was unlucky at Newmarket in his penultimate start, when not getting the clearest of runs in the closing stages, but had absolutely everything against himself at Haydock three weeks ago in a hugely competitive Handicap. He travelled like a dream that day, poised for a big challenge, but didn't get a run through whatsoever. While the eventual winner and 2nd also had to sit and suffer, they got out over 1f out though, Ducal had no real chance in contrast, yet once in a clear, which was very late indeed then, he finished easily in a way that suggests he's well handicapped. So in terms of that, I think he could reverse the form with Ashaadd, who is 2nd favourite for this race here today, while Ducal is a huge 40/1 chance. Bit of luck is required in such a huge Handicap, and usually this is not my cup of tea, but Ducal is way too big in my mind and if things pan out for him today, he'll be right up in the shake-up.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 5:25 Newcastle GRAN CANARIA QUEEN 11-4 Will Hill This filly won well last week making all under similar conditions and drawn 11 of 11 today has an advantage over the field. George Chalinor negates the 5lb raise in handicap mark and so another good front-running ride should see her dominate the field today over this 5f trip. Nice One My son is raised 5lbs for his recent win and Pavers Star goes up 3lbs for his 2nd to Irish Boy who didn't confirm the form yesterday.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 3.15 Ascot - 1pt win Queensberry Rules @ 9/1 (Bet365) A lot of the usual suspects line up for this big 7f handicap but my boring selection is unexposed in comparison and although is favourite for this, 9/1 isn't too short and he looks guaranteed to run well this afternoon. He doesn't look handicapped out of this like many and I think conditions will prove ideal for him today. He represents a William Haggas team in fine form and his four starts on the racecourse can't be knocked with too much conviction. He won his first two starts at Kempton and Sandown respectively (saw off some smart types at the latter) before pulling too hard in a tactical 1m2f event on his next start at Doncaster. There were only three runners and ultimately it just didn't suit. It's worth mentioning that his rivals are good but a slow gallop over 1m2f just wasn't ideal. Dropped back to a mile here in the Britannia when last seen and ran a blinder to be a close 3rd of 27. The front two were prominent throughout so he did best of those held up and he stayed on well. The drop back to 7f isn't an obvious solution but it often helps to stay a bit further in races such as this and I'd be hoping they'll revert back to more positive tactics today. If he can hold a decent position and not be too far back then I think he has a monster chance of outclassing and outstaying them late on off this mark with the 3yo allowance. I just hope he's not staying on with too much to do. Has the right man on board anyway with Ryan Moore in the saddle (partnered him 3 of 4 starts) and he'll be tough to beat should everything go to plan in the run.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013

I would like to please change my selection if thats ok guys 3.15 Ascot - head of steam EW @ 33/1 Bet365 I like this horse here at a big price. He won very nicely at Goodwood 2 runs ago beating some good horses in the process. He then backed that up with another solid effort over 8f at Salisbury where he finished 4th of 11. That day he pulled very hard and despite travelling powerfullly through the race, he didn't have anything left at the finish. If he can settle better today he could go close with the drop in trip being in his favour. Luke Morris is a good booking as he is in fine form at the moment. He did extremely well to get Brown Volcano up the other day. The trainer is also in decent nick and although she hasn't got the best record at this track, I think Head of Steam can go well.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 20.00 Lingfield Nashville - 1PT Win 5/4 SkyBet Nashville goes in the penultimate race at Lingfield for Richard Fahey and Jamie Spencer. Nashville was previously with Ian Williams but this is the first start on the all weather surface for Richard Fahey who has been trying him on turf. He hasn’t been disgraced on the turf in better races than this, including finishing a 3 1/2 length 2nd to Herostatus in the Pontefract Cup over 2m 1f 216y in June. It looks like the horse acts best on the all weather surface, his previous races include winning over course and distance and this looks like a good opportunity for Nashville to return to the winners enclosure. The biggest danger could be Honourable Knight who races off the same mark of 68 as his win here over course and distance back in January.

Re: BBOTD Sat 27th July 2013 Just one to run and try and prevent the whitewash! Good luck AP

20.00 Lingfield Nashville - 1PT Win 5/4 SkyBet Nashville goes in the penultimate race at Lingfield for Richard Fahey and Jamie Spencer. Nashville was previously with Ian Williams but this is the first start on the all weather surface for Richard Fahey who has been trying him on turf. He hasn’t been disgraced on the turf in better races than this, including finishing a 3 1/2 length 2nd to Herostatus in the Pontefract Cup over 2m 1f 216y in June. It looks like the horse acts best on the all weather surface, his previous races include winning over course and distance and this looks like a good opportunity for Nashville to return to the winners enclosure. The biggest danger could be Honourable Knight who races off the same mark of 68 as his win here over course and distance back in January.