** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Cheers All very much appreciated:ok

TBH they may as well take away the "fences" next year - they are just so tame and don't provide a test of jumping anymore - half the field just ploughed through every fence as if they weren't there and the animal rights do-gooders have made a mockery of the greatest race in the world - 9th fence before there was a faller?? I don't like to see horses falling but the race we all grew up with is now a sterile joke I know most will disagree with me but it's my opinion :)
I kind of agree with that but things change through life and changes needed to be made to come up to the times at the end of the day no horses where killed today first time for a long while so the smaller fences have helped yes it made it easier but a least we still have a National and it sends the correct signals out and hopefully we have a national to infinity but yes had the fences been as the past todays winner probably would'nt have got round. avatar258_42.gif BillyHills user-online.pngAdmin Guyball.gifball.gifball.gifball.gifball.gifball.gifball.gifball.gif

Thanks
Thanked 1,256 Times in 841 Posts
oscarsicon.gifoscarsicon.gifdrcgoldicon.gifdrcgoldicon.gif Awards: 27

[h=2]icon1.png Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th[/h]

You know what they say Ted, if you chuck enough arrows ...... Ohhhh thats a bit harsh there have been a few near misses along the way and a few nice price winners ;)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th it is what it is, a horse has to stay over 3 miles, those trainers that enter horses without a win over 3 miles should be taken to task. There are horses campaigned for the race all year yet they come here and struggle still. Its a difficult race to win hence the top trainers struggle as well. Making the fences harder just adds fuel to the ban debate which we don't need. i only got my interest back in the race when i started my trends in 2006, before then i couldnt be arsed with it.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th

TBH they may as well take away the "fences" next year - they are just so tame and don't provide a test of jumping anymore - half the field just ploughed through every fence as if they weren't there and the animal rights do-gooders have made a mockery of the greatest race in the world - 9th fence before there was a faller?? I don't like to see horses falling but the race we all grew up with is now a sterile joke I know most will disagree with me but it's my opinion :) BTW well done to everyone who picked the winner and didn't back the mug horse :)
To be honest i love the National picked the winner lots of times and had years when my fancy has not stood a chance. As i was watching i was thinking this doesn't feel like the national it just felt like an ordinary race. then solid form horses falling in a heap a long way from home. Phone rang 2 min after the race, first words i was told was, what the f... was that. I understand the position Aintree has been put in but that doesn't change the fact, the race is just not the same race now. Ive no idea why so many proven National horses suddenly stopping to nothing. i did expect a few to fade but not to be tailed off, if there was a headwind then fine,it may be a one off but the ground seemed to take a lot out of some decent horses,It may be described as good to soft, it seemed to sap the energy out of many good horses today.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th The race had to change or there was a real danger it wouldn't have a future. We all would have seen the sensationalist reporting earlier this week around the deaths on Thursday and Friday and the fact there were no casualties today is huge for the race, i don't think the importance of that can be underestimated.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th It is fair to say though, the Grand National is a farce of a race, in my honest opinion. It is a Grade 3 mostly consisting of dodgy handicappers, me personally, I don't understand the fuss behind it. But that's just me. Give me any race at Cheltenham ahead of it.

It is fair to say though, the Grand National is a farce of a race, in my honest opinion. It is a Grade 3 mostly consisting of dodgy handicappers, me personally, I don't understand the fuss behind it. But that's just me. Give me any race at Cheltenham ahead of it.
Tradition. I know people today who don't normally bet but were backing 5 or 6 runners in the race. It's a grade 3 handicap chase, give me the Arkle or the Gold Cup over it any day. I've seen comments on facebook saying although no horses died or got injured the race is ruined, it's as if they want some deaths just for the race to be sensational. Funny how there was no uproar when 2 died at Doncaster (Darlan plus one other), wasn't even mentioned in the press.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th I have watched the national for years it used to be a family occasion .... Everyone watching it together etc.... I Actually enjoyed the ch4 coverage but it kinda felt like a normal Saturday with a distance race!!!! It just didn't feel like national day!!! I don't agree with all the changes especially to the fences!!! I understand it needs to be marketed as a safer race to stop all the tree huggers moaning!!! However, alot of valid points have been made about horses dying in other races and meetings and nothing is ever mentioned. the national is a test, the biggest jumping test in the world and we should be proud of it and not change it to suit the people that don't understand it and think all horses should play in a field and be happy ever after!!! I love national hunt racing but for me that wasn't the national it was just another race and that's a shame!!

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th The year Numbersixvalverde won the National, I thought that race had it all, there was such a buzz in my village. Now, with all these tree huggers, shortening the course by 90 yards, installing plastic instead of the usual timber, lowering fences and all this baloney, it for me has ruined the race... Everyone wants to see a horse's welfare as main priority, but lets not forget, as we have seen, the jockeys are at as much risk as the horse (JT McNamara)... The way things are going, the Grand National is going to lose its famous heritage.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Who to take out of the race for next year then? Teaforthree is the obvious one although I'd guess he would be the antepost favourtie. Apart from him, Soll ran a great race for one so inexperienced. In addition, given that it probably came a year too soon for Colbert Station and Join Together, they may be of interest next year too. As for the winner, Sue Smith got him well handicapped for this and I dont think he will be as well treated next year so will struggle.

Who to take out of the race for next year then? Teaforthree is the obvious one although I'd guess he would be the antepost favourtie. Apart from him' date=' Soll ran a great race for one so inexperienced. In addition, given that it probably came a year too soon for Colbert Station and Join Together, they may be of interest next year too. As for the winner, Sue Smith got him well handicapped for this and I dont think he will be as well treated next year so will struggle.[/quote'] Oscar Time for me mate. He had a woeful preperation for the National this year and ran a blinder. I am bloody kicking myself, because we got a tip for him at Xmas a couple of years ago for the big race in Ireland and he bolted up at 12/1 or so, and I thought he ran a cracker today, jumped like a stag and travelled supremely... I think Oscar Time, with a good preperation for next year, could be the one.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Yeah he ran a great race. Thought he was going to win at one point. I would be worried about his age - will be 13 next year but if they can get him there in better form than this year you couldnt write him off.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Ted i was referring to your comment about trying for 6 years without success, you said it not me. We all know you back stacks of rags and you do well, so like i said well done. Pity you didnt put it in your Lucky 15 though? Chill out enjoy the glory mate:ok I agree the they were just kicking those fences out of the way, its just a stamina test now and you can throw your trends away now Bowlsey. Must be able race handy and stay 4 miles.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th 64614.jpg Auroras Encore and Ryan Mania winning Saturday's Grand National PICTURE: Martin Lynch (racingpost.com/photos) [h=1]Mania taken to hospital after Hexham fall[/h] BY JAMES BURN3:46PM 7 APR 2013 RYAN MANIA, who on Saturday celebrated the biggest success of his career when partnering Auroras Encore to victory in the John Smith's Grand National, has been taken to hospital after suffering a fall at Hexham. Mania, 23, was riding Stagecoach Jasper for Auroras Encore's trainer Sue Smith when the seven-year-old tumbled in the 2m4½f handicap hurdle. An air ambulance arrived at the course to take the jockey, who was conscious after the fall, to a hospital in Newcastle. Hexham's clerk of the course James Armstrong said: "Ryan Mania taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle. He was conscious and talking all the time." Mania's valet Steve Charlton added: "I think Ryan took a kick between his shoulder blades but he can move all his limbs and he's talking away. Hopefully he's not too bad but as usual they are being very careful." A spokesman for the Great North Air Ambulance told the BBC: "Mr Mania has received neck and back injuries. He came off the horse at high speed and may have been hit by another horse while he was on the ground. "He has been given extensive painkillers and is currently in a stable condition."

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Belated well done Ted :notworthy Didn't see the race as was at football but disappointing to see that Balthazar King couldn't keep going and On His Own under pressure when falling. Would have thought both would be going well for as long as they were in the contest. The pressure on the race has been mounting up so for all it's less of a spectacle (2 fallers is incredible really) I think it needed a sound year (albeit with Little Josh on Friday). Definitely losing its sparkle though but these days where people are so sensitive it's probably essential to compromise or the pressure may just get too much.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th I certainly won't be backing anything heavily in the race ever again. I will just have a couple of quid on horses names that have some sort of connection to a long lost relative or horses with colours that I like. That seems to be the only way to win in the Grand National. Those that backed the winner can't have picked him out after hours of looking at the form. The race is an absolute lottery and I would rather have a bet in a 16 runner group 1 race over in France, which is saying something as they are mostly like a demolition derby!

I certainly won't be backing anything heavily in the race ever again. I will just have a couple of quid on horses names that have some sort of connection to a long lost relative or horses with colours that I like. That seems to be the only way to win in the Grand National. Those that backed the winner can't have picked him out after hours of looking at the form. The race is an absolute lottery and I would rather have a bet in a 16 runner group 1 race over in France' date=' which is saying something as they are mostly like a demolition derby![/quote'] So staying on over 4mile in the scottish National last year when just getting pipped on the post on good ground and now carring 6lb less for the National isn't good enough form to warrant a selection then?

I agree the they were just kicking those fences out of the way, its just a stamina test now and you can throw your trends away now Bowlsey. Must be able race handy and stay 4 miles.
not sure trends can ever be overlooked, the winner still met 7 of the 10 i use. Ok, possibly half the field did so you can pour scorn on that stat as you would still have 20 horses to sort through. Mind you back 20 and find a 66/1 winner, then you make a profit :) I have to review how i bet though in the national, as i really fancied Solwhit strongly and had half my national stakes on it, whereas it should have been other way round surely.

So staying on over 4mile in the scottish National last year when just getting pipped on the post on good ground and now carring 6lb less for the National isn't good enough form to warrant a selection then?
Going to sound like huge aftertiming but will post up bet slip to prove it if necessary but I too was on Aurora's Encore, one of only two bets in the race along with Ballabriggs. Chose Aurora's Encore because it was never a 66/1 shot, the 80/1 I took with Bet365 and later the 100/1 quoted with Stan James and Bet365 Saturday morning. Didn't go mad on it myself because the national is such a lottery in terms of having the best horse in the race potentially which gets brought down, 1 bad jump and it falls etc but I don't think it should have been any higher than 33/1. I watched it get pipped on the line of the Scottish National and thought to follow it next jumps season considering the fact the trainer/connections would want to get it's mark down for another tilt at the SN at least. Low and behold it's been given soft races, terrible rides and inadequate trips and gets into the Grand National off near featherweight. To win a national by 9 lengths against some decent types means it's been held back for the race without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. Lucky for me I thought like connections this time, plotting something and it's come off for them massively.

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Nice one Ted, nice one Nick. The horse ticked 10 out of 10 of the trends I use and was joint top-rated 10/10 (age 9-12, won a 3mile race, form over 3.5miles, OR of 136+, less than 11stone 7lb, run within 48 days, won a big field, won a prize over 17k, good form at the course and handles the going) - couldn't believe the price on Betfair. Brilliant result!

Re: THE GRAND NATIONAL 2013 April 6th Aye, have to agree with Ted on this occasion. If you studied hard enough, Auroras Encore would have been a lively outsider. Gets the trip, 6 pounds lower, seems to always come good around April etc, sometimes we all get distracted by price!

well clearly he was easy to pick out and everyone was on... i must have been the only one that missed him
Yep,slipped up there, i had him in a ew double with Togo to win the World Cup. Just glad ive got the hard one out the way.

Can only curse my luck that I only joined in 2011! Seem to be landing some bets lately Aidy? :ok
Era, had two good bets fav's over the past couple of days, Hunt Ball and Solwhit, you prob saw from my facebook wall? :D I seem to have better luck when I don't post a fancy on PL mate :lol Speaking of Mon Mome, my girlfriend's sister placed her first ever bet at the age of 28 on Mon Mome, £10 e/w @ 100/1, I nearly died.. She liked the name.. :eyes