Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August

Jase82

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August Quite a bit of speculation that Charlton will field a weakened team against Leyton Orient. http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/49739/charlton-ath-v-leyton-orient-league-cup-1st-round-14th-august-2012-preview-and-predicititions Far from confirmed though. Leyton orient are not particularly backable even if it is a weakened charlton team. Orient lost to 4 non league teams in pre season. So i will be waiting for the team news before deciding.

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August

Cheers Simmo' date='I'm quite shocked at what you've got to say. Thought Thorn had made some reasonable signings during the summer.[/quote'] Don't get me wrong, its not entirely doom and gloom- we've beaten 3 league 2 sides away since those games (woohoo), the latter of which featured a back four and front two that are likely to start the Dagenham game- but those games I mentioned still stick in my mind due to how poor we were. On top of that, we've a very sorry history of losing to lower league sides in the early rounds of this competition.

Pompey have signed 23 year old goalkeeper Simon Eastwood on non contract terms enabling him to play tomorrow night. 6'2" goalkeeper, seems to have struggled to make an impact at even non league level. Was released from halifax town after making 41 appearances last season. He has been on trial with us most pre season and played in our 4-0 loss to Gibraltar, 1-0 win over afc wimbledon and 3-0 win over Bolton.

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August wednesday team: chris kirkland lewis buxton anthony gardner miguel llera reda johnson michail antonio nejc pecnik jose semedo jermaine johnson chris maguire gary madine very attacking team 2 wingers johnson and antonio 2 strikers,only semedo defensive,reda johnson attack minded should be goals in this look out for antonio he is a star :)

I'm looking at backing under 2.5 goals in the fleetwood v forest game tonight. I'm surprised the unders are priced around evens with BET365. I consider both sides to be underish sides' date=' and I think fleetwood will put up a significant fight at home that will make life tough for forest. I fancy this to finish as a tight draw in the 90 minutes.[/quote'] Just to add to this besides the Rochdale/Barnsley match all matches have been under 2.5 goals in the 90 minutes so far in this tournament. Even in that match there was a 90th minute penalty.

wednesday team: chris kirkland lewis buxton anthony gardner miguel llera reda johnson michail antonio nejc pecnik jose semedo jermaine johnson chris maguire gary madine very attacking team 2 wingers johnson and antonio 2 strikers,only semedo defensive,reda johnson attack minded should be goals in this look out for antonio he is a star :)
late bet : biught 1st half goals @ 1.2 with sporting index

I'm quite shocked that the bookies are offering such a good price on Plymouth as well.Are they getting a bit slack? Same with Coventry who are being offered at 11/10 by Paddy Power to beat Dagenham and Redbridge.Fair enough the suffered relegation last season but Dagenham didn't have a great season last time out nor have they made any significant signings' date='so why the good price?Do they know something we don't?[/quote'] Venturing in from the non league forum but the reason for those odds is possibly they have taken note of Coventry's pre-season results? They have been shocking and, when they played my team (Wrexham) a 4-1 defeat was a bit of a let off for them. it looked as if the players didn't have a clue and they certainly didn't want to play for their current manager...there was no effort and no pride. At the end of the game only 1 Coventry player went to thank the travelling fans for heading into N wales for a friendly. Their last three games have seen wins, however. The Daggers have had a pretty productive pre-season, including giving thumpings to BHA and WHU XI's (albeit relatively useful ones) Scoring plenty of goals and, at the price, I will play on them to turn over Cov

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August Just out of curiosity, do many of you consider pre-season friendlies as so important? I see most of you guys referring to teams' friendlies, but isn't what friendlies are for, to try new players/tactics and that to be the reason for many 'surprising' results. Yes, Simmo indeed mentioned that Coventry played with most of their regulars, but isn't underestimation possible? Not saying that Coventry or any other team whose supporters are giving their opinion has been good or bad (I mean who am I to say since you guys know more about your own teams) but I was just wondering why emphasizing so much on friendlies?

Just out of curiosity' date=' do many of you consider pre-season friendlies as so important? I see most of you guys referring to teams' friendlies, but isn't what friendlies are for, to try new players/tactics and that to be the reason for many 'surprising' results. Yes, Simmo indeed mentioned that Coventry played with most of their regulars, but isn't underestimation possible? Not saying that Coventry or any other team whose supporters are giving their opinion has been good or bad (I mean who am I to say since you guys know more about your own teams) but I was just wondering why emphasizing so much on friendlies?[/quote'] I don't consider results important but you can tell a team's likely style of play from them. Where new signings are going to play and which positions and things :ok.

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August Tuesday's TV preview: 3pts Swindon to beat Brighton 2/1 Paddy Power Brighton are missing a few key players for this match, particularly in the forward areas of the pitch and given that they have home advantage and a manager who expects big things from his team and to win every match I think Swindon are good value in this match. There will be no half-heartedness from Swindon in this match while you sense Brighton’s priority is getting everyone fit for the Championship opener on Saturday. At 2/1 Swindon are worth chancing here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/swindon-vs-brighton-betting-swindon-can-surprise-a-brighton-side-who-are-struggling-with-a-few-injuries

I was just wondering why emphasizing so much on friendlies?
I think it depends on the team really as some teams, or even managers, will use friendlies for different reasons. For some it's all about fitness, others will be finding their feet prior to taking on a league campaign. Others just looking to build momentum. I personally think if a side is playing a side of lower stature in a pre season friendly it may be simple but they usually send them out to play football, see how certain players cope with different situations. They may try different things, but ultimately I think 4-4-2 will be employed and a win isn't the be all and end all.

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August Plymouth Argyle v Portsmouth Guests are currently unable to sign new players. Head coach Appleton will therefore call upon the remaining members of last season's youth side and the club's development players. pick 1

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August What are the chances of loans coming in? As it stands I think I would price Plymouth around 1.5. They will be sympathetic to the cause of course, but will show no mercy, especially with the chance of a payday in the next round. Regarding Charlton v Orient. First choice keeper Jamie Jones is out, leaving Ryan Allsop in, who is much untested. Aside from this, I would expect the side to be the first choice one. No secret that pre-season results have been poor, although let's not read too much into that. In a couple of matches the majority of the side was changed at half-time. From what I gleaned defensively we are better than last season (no tough job, really), but scoring goals is a worry. I also worry about the midfield, which looks pretty lightweight with only Griffith providing the muscle. Not too sure about Charlton but I would think they would play a weakened line-up and declare early if they build up a lead. Any Unquoted at Betfair looks low for this match at 7's, and arguably the 0-0 at 16 looks a good one to trade. I see a tight match with Charlton winning here in the second half.

What are the chances of loans coming in? As it stands I think I would price Plymouth around 1.5. They will be sympathetic to the cause of course' date=' but will show no mercy, especially with the chance of a payday in the next round. [/quote'] According to Michael Appleton there isn't any chance of loans. Our incoming owners have slashed the wage budget to that of a league two club anyway, and I think any loans that may have been available are now out of our reach.

I don't consider results important but you can tell a team's likely style of play from them. Where new signings are going to play and which positions and things :ok.
It can also give an indication of the players' spirit and hint at whether all is right behind the scenes at the club.

It can also give an indication of the players' spirit and hint at whether all is right behind the scenes at the club.
Most friendlies players couldn't give a **** about they just want the season to start. I hate friendlies because players just go through the motions making sure they don't get injured and I don't blame them really.

Most friendlies players couldn't give a **** about they just want the season to start. I hate friendlies because players just go through the motions making sure they don't get injured and I don't blame them really.
You didn't see Coventry. That was definitely not the case.

Wouldn't it again depend on the player.... Some players are playing for different things like a place in the team, or a new contract. That's more the case the further you go down the league ladder IMO, which is where you can often find tasty odds on lower league sides to get something from a big scalp because the lower you head down, the more uncertainty there is over the long term future of players/clubs.

We're going to get battered tonight.... 9 development squad players are available + goalkeeper Simon Eastwood and assistant manager Ashley Westwood will play in defence' date=' with the bench being made up of academy scholars.[/quote'] There will a lot of sympathy from Plymouth off the pitch, but it would be against their interests to extend that to what happens on it.

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August Pre-season games: AFC Wimbledon - Portsmouth 0:2 Portsmouth - Bolton 3:0 Aldershot Town – Portsmouth 0:1 Did Appleton picked the teams for friendly games from youth, academy and development squad players? Any trialists participated? (not allowed to feature in to nights game)

Re: Capital One Cup > Saturday 11th August - Tuesday 14th August Loads of trialists in the games - good players, but I read Appleton can't sign them now because the budget has been slashed. The likely side out tonight lost 2-1 against a BSP side and you have to think Plymouth will be another step up from that. I think the odds still have further to fall before kick-off.

Did Appleton picked the teams for friendly games from youth' date=' academy and development squad players? Any trialists participated? (not allowed to feature in to nights game)[/quote'] All the information relating to this game is in the thread :)

Tuesday's TV preview: 3pts Swindon to beat Brighton 2/1 Paddy Power Brighton are missing a few key players for this match, particularly in the forward areas of the pitch and given that they have home advantage and a manager who expects big things from his team and to win every match I think Swindon are good value in this match. There will be no half-heartedness from Swindon in this match while you sense Brighton’s priority is getting everyone fit for the Championship opener on Saturday. At 2/1 Swindon are worth chancing here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/swindon-vs-brighton-betting-swindon-can-surprise-a-brighton-side-who-are-struggling-with-a-few-injuries
3-0 :ok

We're going to get battered tonight.... 9 development squad players are available + goalkeeper Simon Eastwood and assistant manager Ashley Westwood will play in defence' date=' with the bench being made up of academy scholars.[/quote'] Score: 3-0 Looks as though it was good value even at the lower odds ...

Score: 3-0 Looks as though it was good value even at the lower odds ...
Yes we were never going to get anything, but worth noting that we held Plymouth for 45 minutes, and in the second half we put up more of a show. Other than assistant manager Ashley westwood (who came off after 35 minutes) the oldest player in the team was 18.

Arterrier, well done mate, always best to ignore me. We were pretty terrible though- no shots on goal in 2nd half until the penalty- so I think those poor preseason performances were still a half-decent guide to this match regardless of the final result.