** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18

Just my opinion, but I don't think the first leg reports mean anything, except that they put "false value" on the sides that unexpectedly managed a draw. When a bigger side have to travel to a pitch miles beneath them, it is fairly common for them to have a poor match...the crowds are smaller, the atmosphere less intense than what they're used to, the pitch in worse shape, whatever. It is very common, on the other hand, for big sides in FA Cup mismatches to turn things around quickly when they get home. Collectively, FA Cup matches where the home side are a league or two higher than the away side produce a lot of goals, and often the lower side gets punished. I think the drawn match might produce some confidence, but now they've got to play on away against a side that regularly faces better opposition.
Excellent points. I think you are suggesting that the outsiders raised their games at home, but will find it harder to do so away. That would explain why there is a gap in the odds after an even first game. The home sides favourites will be under more pressure in the replays though. I do think the match reports and stats mean something (as long as they are objective) - I also looked at the shots/corners/possession stats which were pretty even for these games. Another thing to consider in cup games I think is how motivated the teams are - some sides seem more interested cup competitions than others.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip Detail
SportFootball (England - Cups)
EventQPR v MK Dons
SelectionQPR
Strength1/10
Date17/01/2012
Bookmaker/PriceBet365 @ 1.80
ReasoningQPR have a second chance tonight and will take full advantage. With the arrival if a new manager it will be like a new start for some players and they can start with a win tonight against a team from a couple of leagues below them. QPR have the fire power to score a couple of goals will be enough here.
Close Window

Just my opinion, but I don't think the first leg reports mean anything, except that they put "false value" on the sides that unexpectedly managed a draw. When a bigger side have to travel to a pitch miles beneath them, it is fairly common for them to have a poor match...the crowds are smaller, the atmosphere less intense than what they're used to, the pitch in worse shape, whatever. It is very common, on the other hand, for big sides in FA Cup mismatches to turn things around quickly when they get home. Collectively, FA Cup matches where the home side are a league or two higher than the away side produce a lot of goals, and often the lower side gets punished. I think the drawn match might produce some confidence, but now they've got to play on away against a side that regularly faces better opposition.
One other point I forgot to mention is that I think the away team often tends to out-perform in a 'local derby'. Leicester v Forest and Wolves v Birmingham are local derbies where you could expect to Forest and Birmingham to play better than they normally do away from home. I think the odds on local derbies often fail to relect this. QPR v MK Dons and Millwall v Dagenham aren't really local derbies, but the clubs are reasonably close to give the ties a bit of an edge - and make it easier for away fans to get to the games.

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 Leicester v Forest @ 1.80 Bet365 (4 Points) Goal Line: Under 2.5 @ 1.875 Bet365 (5 Points) I strongly fancy Leicester to win in a low scoring match tonight. Forest have only score in 1 of their last 10 games. That immediately sets the alarm bells ringing and suggests that it will be a low scoring game. Leicester have been very shaky in defence but when your opposition can't score, you can't lose .In the first fixture it ended 0-0 and the stats suggest to me that the goal line should be at 2.25. I don't know what isn't clicking for Leicester this season. On paper they have a cracking squad but they just aren't performing. They have a couple of defenders out for January at the African Nations which is a miss for them. But Forest are just terrible at the moment and Cotterill has got big problems there. They have a couple of strikers coming back from injury but untill they start scoring, I'm happy to keep opposing forest. Leicester have been getting over estimated a lot by the bookies lately but in this game, I would have them around 1.66/1.72 due to Forest's shocking form. As such I'm more than happy to take them at 1.80. I won't be going mad because I am wary of the game going into extra time. But if there is to be a winner in 90 minutes, my money is on the Foxes. With both sides out of form, I also strongly fancy there being less than 2.5 goals in the match.

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 Leicester vs Nottingham Forest = 1 (1.80) / over (2.00) bet365 stake 6 / 10 Leicester position 15° points 35 Nottingham Forest position 22° points 24 Preview: Leicester: absent due to international commitments: Souleymane Bamba (defender 23 / 1), John Pantsil (defender 6 / 0). Nottingham Forest: absent for the end loan: Greg Cunningham (defender 13 / 0); Suspended: Luke Chambers (defender 26 / 0); Injured: Wes Morgan (defender 21 / 1), Brendan Moloney (defender 7 / 0), Chris Cohen (midfielder 7 / 0), Ishmael Miller (striker 13 / 3). Leicester has a score in house w6-d3-l5 goals scored 20 goals against 15 Nottingham Forest and has a score out of the house w4-d1-l7 goals scored 10 goals against 18. The first game ended in a draw goalless. There are two teams who are not living a good time in football, the home team is in 15 th position in the standings just off the relegation zone while the visiting team is mired in the relegation zone. The home team in the last 5 home games has reported w1-d4 l1-out of the house while the visiting team has reported w1-d1-l3. At the end of the field as a factor, plus the number of absences in the visiting team I think that for the hosts is an easy task against a team far below. The sign 1 deserves the utmost confidence. In the last 8 games with Leicester City that was playing at home, Leicester City has won 5 times, I have matched 1 and 2 Nottingham Forest has won. The goal difference is 13-8 in favor of Leicester City. :hope:hope:hope

Excellent points. I think you are suggesting that the outsiders raised their games at home' date=' but will find it harder to do so away. That would explain why there is a gap in the odds after an even first game. The home sides favourites will be under more pressure in the replays though. I do think the match reports and stats mean something (as long as they are objective) - I also looked at the shots/corners/possession stats which were pretty even for these games. Another thing to consider in cup games I think is how motivated the teams are - some sides seem more interested cup competitions than others.[/quote'] Well...objective or not, the first match was the first match. I don't think it necessarily offers a true indication of how the sides match up a week or two later, with the 'weaker' side now on away.

Kilmarnock v Dundee: Dundee (+0.75AH) @ 1.88 with 188bet (2.5pts)
Killie 2-1 Dundee - 1/2 loss Didn't quite come off in the end. No regrets playing the line, but it's always a chance opposing the higher-ranked side at home. Well done all winners tonight.

QPR vs MK Dons QPR -0.5 1.900 10/10 And ill be stalking the exchanges to snap up QPR -1.5 @ 3.65+
Main bet won, though my handicap and my smaller later punt of BTTS took a big dent out from my winnings! The Dons had good chances to score, and QPR should of had more than a couple themselves. 4 - 1 is probably what it should have ended. Though im only saying that because it would have given me a clean sweep :lol. No, really QPR should have scored a couple more and MK Dons at least one also.

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 Birmingham vs Wolves The Blues are in good form. They startd the season somewhat slowly but have picked up with Hughton in charge, who has excellent experience at this level. After a rather miserable 0 - 0 Draw in their first leg, Birmingham have won against Ipswitch at home and thumped a sorry Millwall 6 - 0 away from home. Wolves themselves have only played one game since and was a somewhat deserved point against Spurs. They defended really well and though Tottenham could have won this 3 - 0 some other day, credit to Wolves for their hard fought point, and i'd say visiting spurs on their current form and getting a point is just as much of a confidence booster of beating Millwall 6 - 0 away. Hughton are likely to rotate the squad, and with the Premier league their priority, I doubt progressing through the cup will be high on Hughtons list. Looking at the team he put out in the first leg I think they will have a real go here though. The draw has since been conducted and the winner will visit Sheffield United away to try to progress through to the last 16. Wolves themselves have a couple of injurys, though McCarthy may rest some of his key players to the bench at least. I doubt the likes of Fletcher will start. Former Blue Johnson looks to miss out again with injury he picked up in the first leg. This match will also be live on ITV1, though the latter stages will overlap with El-Clasico. I'd expect another low key affair and unders seem a reasonable bet. Under 2.5 1.790 Pinnacle 10/10 Small punt on CS that I dont normally do: Birmingham 1 - 0 11.80 BF 0.5/10

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 hi folks, need a bit of help and information from the experts:clap my local bookies do goalrush/ no goalrush its the same as BTTS i called in today and looked at the first 6 games on the footie sheet and thought to myself there doesnt seem much BTTS there so just for an interest i stuck a tenner on the first 6 games to be no goal rush, they were leicester NGR 4/5 millwall NGR 4/6 bolton NGR 17/20 qpr NGR 11/10 tranmere NGR 5/6 and wrexham NGR 1/1 it pays £427:hope but what i was wondering is now that the wrexham game was put back for 24 hours can i go to the bookies tomorrow and ask them to pay me out on a 5 timer and get the £214? or do use think i should let the bet run and sweat like f**k the full 90 mins:(

hi folks, need a bit of help and information from the experts:clap my local bookies do goalrush/ no goalrush its the same as BTTS i called in today and looked at the first 6 games on the footie sheet and thought to myself there doesnt seem much BTTS there so just for an interest i stuck a tenner on the first 6 games to be no goal rush, they were leicester NGR 4/5 millwall NGR 4/6 bolton NGR 17/20 qpr NGR 11/10 tranmere NGR 5/6 and wrexham NGR 1/1 it pays £427:hope but what i was wondering is now that the wrexham game was put back for 24 hours can i go to the bookies tomorrow and ask them to pay me out on a 5 timer and get the £214? or do use think i should let the bet run and sweat like f**k the full 90 mins:(
Firstly, well done. Nice bet!! Doubt they would pay you out on the 5-fold, unless it's just your local bookie (i.e. an independent). You should just cover the other side of the Wrexham game, that is BTTS. If NGR is 1/1, I expect the BTTS is around 8/11?? So just put something like £220 on BTTS @8/11. Will guarantee you £160 if BTTS, and £207 if NGR. You can obviously play around with the amounts depending on the price and how you want to play it.

hi folks, need a bit of help and information from the experts:clap my local bookies do goalrush/ no goalrush its the same as BTTS i called in today and looked at the first 6 games on the footie sheet and thought to myself there doesnt seem much BTTS there so just for an interest i stuck a tenner on the first 6 games to be no goal rush, they were leicester NGR 4/5 millwall NGR 4/6 bolton NGR 17/20 qpr NGR 11/10 tranmere NGR 5/6 and wrexham NGR 1/1 it pays £427:hope but what i was wondering is now that the wrexham game was put back for 24 hours can i go to the bookies tomorrow and ask them to pay me out on a 5 timer and get the £214? or do use think i should let the bet run and sweat like f**k the full 90 mins:(
Try to cover it with another bookie that offers inverse markets. Though if you're in the mood, go for it! Only insure your bet if you dont want to risk your profits already. I havnt looked into the game to give you any ideas on how the game is going to go though. Someone else in here might be an expert. My reccomendations is just to go for it. Insuring your bets usually loses value and if you were confident enough to take the bet in the first place you should see it all the way. Hope you have a good night. :hope

Firstly, well done. Nice bet!! Doubt they would pay you out on the 5-fold, unless it's just your local bookie (i.e. an independent). You should just cover the other side of the Wrexham game, that is BTTS. If NGR is 1/1, I expect the BTTS is around 8/11?? So just put something like £220 on BTTS @8/11. Will guarantee you £160 if BTTS, and £207 if NGR. You can obviously play around with the amounts depending on the price and how you want to play it.
i normally pick 6 teams BTTS but couldnt tonight so i just went for the bet in the off chance but if they dont pay out for 5 then it was 4/5 for BTTS and i could russel up 220 and stick it on:clap
Try to cover it with another bookie that offers inverse markets. Though if you're in the mood, go for it! Only insure your bet if you dont want to risk your profits already. I havnt looked into the game to give you any ideas on how the game is going to go though. Someone else in here might be an expert. My reccomendations is just to go for it. Insuring your bets usually loses value and if you were confident enough to take the bet in the first place you should see it all the way. Hope you have a good night. :hope
when i done the bet i was under the impression that brighton would score and i hoped wrexham didnt but the more i have looked into the match im beginning to think wrexham will score because they have score at least 2 in there last 6 league games and even scored at brighton where as brighton havent scored in there last 3 away games and havent won away since november. ah my head is fryed now:wall either do or not:puke

Nice little 6-fold that! well so far anyway :ok i'd lock yourself some profit in, even if its just £50 or something. Imagine how gutted you'll be if it loses...
Yeah I definitely would as well, though of course it's up to him...we all have our different ways of betting.

Leicester vs Nottingham Forest = 1 (1.80) / over (2.00) bet365 stake 6 / 10 Leicester position 15° points 35 Nottingham Forest position 22° points 24 Preview: Leicester: absent due to international commitments: Souleymane Bamba (defender 23 / 1), John Pantsil (defender 6 / 0). Nottingham Forest: absent for the end loan: Greg Cunningham (defender 13 / 0); Suspended: Luke Chambers (defender 26 / 0); Injured: Wes Morgan (defender 21 / 1), Brendan Moloney (defender 7 / 0), Chris Cohen (midfielder 7 / 0), Ishmael Miller (striker 13 / 3). Leicester has a score in house w6-d3-l5 goals scored 20 goals against 15 Nottingham Forest and has a score out of the house w4-d1-l7 goals scored 10 goals against 18. The first game ended in a draw goalless. There are two teams who are not living a good time in football, the home team is in 15 th position in the standings just off the relegation zone while the visiting team is mired in the relegation zone. The home team in the last 5 home games has reported w1-d4 l1-out of the house while the visiting team has reported w1-d1-l3. At the end of the field as a factor, plus the number of absences in the visiting team I think that for the hosts is an easy task against a team far below. The sign 1 deserves the utmost confidence. In the last 8 games with Leicester City that was playing at home, Leicester City has won 5 times, I have matched 1 and 2 Nottingham Forest has won. The goal difference is 13-8 in favor of Leicester City. :hope:hope:hope
Ca$HHHHHHHHH :ok:ok

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 Hi guys! i'm new here, first post and all that so bare with me if i make any mistakes as relatively new to the betting world also! Just wondering on what some peoples views on the Wolves vs Birmingham replay was for tonight? Personally thinking its got extra time wrote all over it but clearly its quite hard to back something like that! Anyway nice to meet you all and hope theres lots of success for us all ;)

Birmingham vs Wolves The Blues are in good form. They startd the season somewhat slowly but have picked up with Hughton in charge, who has excellent experience at this level. After a rather miserable 0 - 0 Draw in their first leg, Birmingham have won against Ipswitch at home and thumped a sorry Millwall 6 - 0 away from home. Wolves themselves have only played one game since and was a somewhat deserved point against Spurs. They defended really well and though Tottenham could have won this 3 - 0 some other day, credit to Wolves for their hard fought point, and i'd say visiting spurs on their current form and getting a point is just as much of a confidence booster of beating Millwall 6 - 0 away. Hughton are likely to rotate the squad, and with the Premier league their priority, I doubt progressing through the cup will be high on Hughtons list. Looking at the team he put out in the first leg I think they will have a real go here though. The draw has since been conducted and the winner will visit Sheffield United away to try to progress through to the last 16. Wolves themselves have a couple of injurys, though McCarthy may rest some of his key players to the bench at least. I doubt the likes of Fletcher will start. Former Blue Johnson looks to miss out again with injury he picked up in the first leg. This match will also be live on ITV1, though the latter stages will overlap with El-Clasico. I'd expect another low key affair and unders seem a reasonable bet. Under 2.5 1.790 Pinnacle 10/10 Small punt on CS that I dont normally do: Birmingham 1 - 0 11.80 BF 0.5/10
Well, as stated in the above post Blues are actually away tonight. The original tie was held at St. Andrews. Also, you may want to check your team news a bit more thoroughly as Roger Johnson recovered from his ankle injury (picked up in the first game) in time to face Tottenham on Saturday. He even managed to assist Fletcher's goal! I'm a Wolves fan, and he's expected to just be rested tonight, its not through injury. However, Mick will be resting a few first team players with the important Premier League game at home to Villa coming up on Saturday. Matt Jarvis, Kevin Foley and Dave Edwards will all be missing. Fletcher will be on the bench as we start With Doyle & Ebanks-Blake up front. So, bearing that in mind, I would definitely agree with your bet of under 2.5 given the form of those two up front throughout the season! Neither could hit a barn door. I think Birmingham's game with Millwall was a bit of an anomaly given the fact that they were reduced to 9 men thanks to two ridiculous red cards, thus allowing Birmingham plenty of space to exploit. Hughton will more than likely be fielding a few fringe players as well, as he did in the first game. It doesn't look like its going to be much of a prospect, and I personally will be steering clear of the game.

Wolves vs Birmingham ... Personally thinking its got extra time wrote all over it but clearly its quite hard to back something like that!
If you think the game will go to extra time, you can back the draw at 90 mins - currently available at odds of 3.5

FA Cup Replay value on away teams? Still thinking about this, but I can't help thinking there is value on the away teams in four of the FA Cup replays this week. Tuesday Leicester v Forest Best 2-way prices (draw excluded): Leicester DNB @ 1.29 Skybet/Boylesport/bodog/Hills Forest DNB @ 4.0 Coral Reports suggest to me that the first tie (ended 0-0) was fairly even - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16371531.stm Both sides have poor recent records, and both managers are under some pressure. It's a local derby. I think the gap in the odds means there is some value in backing Forest. Millwall v Dagenham Best 2-way prices (draw excluded): Millwall DNB @ 1.14 Bet365 Dagenham DNB @ 7.0 Stan James Reports suggest that Millwall were the better side in the first leg (score 0-0), but it doesn't sound as though they completely dominated - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/16371385.stm It's a local derby. Millwall's recent form has been very poor (losing 6-0 at home to Birmingham on Saturday) and their manager is under pressure. I think the gap in the odds is too great and their is some value on Dagenham. QPR v MK Dons Best 2-way prices (draw excluded): QPR AH0 @ 1.38 with Bet365 MK DNB @ 3.4 with Stan James It sounds from reports that MK Dons were the better side in the first leg (which ended 1-1) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/16371771.stm QPR have a new manager in Mark Hughes, and lost their first game under him on Saturday (1-0 at Newcastle). They are struggling at the bottom of the Premier League. MK Dons are near the top of League One. Given the fact that there is more pressure on QPR and that MK Dons apparently were the better side in the first leg, I think their price is a bit too long.
Tuesday results: Leicester 4 N Forest 0 Millwall 5 Dagenham & Redbridge 0 QPR 1 MK Dons 0 From the reports it sounds as though Leicester outclassed Nottingham Forest and Millwall did the same to Dagenham. The QPR game sounded closer. Obviously, any bets placed on the away sides in these games would have lost ;). I didn't placed any bets myself, but if I had, I think I would have been more likely to back the away sides (or draw/away) at the odds available. Reading the BBC reports on the Leicester and Millwall games, it sounds as though in both games, the home sides were much more highly motivated than their opponents. Motivation for a game can make a big difference and I think if you can work out the relative motivation of the two sides, it can help give you an 'edge'.

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 Odds on Wrexam didn't change from yesterday. I am just gonna copy paste what I wrote yesterday. Wrexam is football town. Back in the time when club had financial problems, fans gathered 100 000 pounds in 1 day to cover some losses and to keep their team. They are living the dream as they will be back to League 1 after 4 years of absence. In last match they conceded after only 3 minutes of playing but after that they put together and managed to get a well deserved draw when everyone was thinking that Brighton will win with at least 2 goals margin. Guy Poyet, Brighton's coach, is being central figure in British media lately cause he backed up Luis Suarez in the issue with Man UTD's player Evra. Seems like this dude cares more about his own promotion than teams success. Brighton has several injury problems and have not won away game since November even when they were will full squad. They also don't score many goals when they are playing away. Tight game, Wrexton playing with full focus and full hearts. Enough for me! Some more news : http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/109515/reds-don-t-need-me-to-wish-them-luck-says-flynn.aspx

I'm going for wrexham and wolves tonight £100 pays £288' date=' I can't lose :unsure[/quote'] :welcome to PL Noob We do require some reasoning for bets posted up in these threads, but you're welcome to post selections only in this thread: http://forum.punterslounge.com/f6/midweek-bets-17-19-january-125752/ (Please quote the bookie and odds as well). Thanks. :ok

Odds on Wrexam didn't change from yesterday. I am just gonna copy paste what I wrote yesterday. Wrexam is football town. Back in the time when club had financial problems, fans gathered 100 000 pounds in 1 day to cover some losses and to keep their team. They are living the dream as they will be back to League 1 after 4 years of absence. In last match they conceded after only 3 minutes of playing but after that they put together and managed to get a well deserved draw when everyone was thinking that Brighton will win with at least 2 goals margin. Guy Poyet, Brighton's coach, is being central figure in British media lately cause he backed up Luis Suarez in the issue with Man UTD's player Evra. Seems like this dude cares more about his own promotion than teams success. Brighton has several injury problems and have not won away game since November even when they were will full squad. They also don't score many goals when they are playing away. Tight game, Wrexton playing with full focus and full hearts. Enough for me! Some more news : http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/109515/reds-don-t-need-me-to-wish-them-luck-says-flynn.aspx
Just a note but Brighton didn't score within three minutes of the game but within 90 seconds of the second half starting. Also, the 100k was raised to pay a bond to the Conference so they would allow us to continue, not to cover a loss. And what do you mean by the phrase "back to league 1 after 4 years absence?" In team news we may be missing Speight, whose speed caused BHA problems. If so he will be replaced with Wright, more or a target man.

Hi guys! i'm new here, first post and all that so bare with me if i make any mistakes as relatively new to the betting world also! Just wondering on what some peoples views on the Wolves vs Birmingham replay was for tonight? Personally thinking its got extra time wrote all over it but clearly its quite hard to back something like that! Anyway nice to meet you all and hope theres lots of success for us all ;)
:welcome to PL Nathan. :ok It would help if you could tell us why you think it's got a draw written all over it?;)

Re: England/Scotland > Midweek L1 & All Cups - Jan 17/18 Can't find any team news or info on tonights JPT game, I have asked my friend who is an Oldham supporter for his thoughts " he's normally fair" and he thinks Oldham will win 2-1 I can't find anything bad about Babypunter's posts, has the offending one been taken down. Maybe some rule that i'm not aware of.

called into the bookies today hoping they would pay out the 5 timer because i defo think the game is gonna be BTTS now, but they wouldnt and says the bet has to run :(, also found out you get an extra 10% on 6 folds, so i ended up putting 250 on BTTS at 4/5 so its a win/win position tho dont get me wrong i would of let the bet run if i was waiting on BTTS rather than NGR:ok