2012 PDC World Darts Championship

theoldmaster

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. I dont have a clue about darts,but want to have an interest in this event. Adrian Lewis - 8/1 to defend hes title,odds look big for such a dangerous player. Wes Newton - 40/1 moving up the rankings and has had a good 2011,last years quarter finalist. Mark Webster - 28/1 Looks a very classy player and capable of winning this event,odds seem a tad generous imho. Bets Adrian Lewis - 8/1 win 3pts Wes Newton - 40/1 ew 2pts Mark Webster - 28/1 ew 2pts odds - Ladbrokes

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. No time to leave a long post giving the reasonings behind all my selections but basically last night I sat down and tried to work out who'd be in the quarters and backed them accordingly. Only done the ones who are a big price on the win market on Betfair so far with a back to lay view, will do a few more (Webster, Newton, Lewis) e/w in the bookies but there price won't change massively before the first round unless Taylor suffers the biggest shock in darts history. So far I have 0.75pts on Jenkins at 110, 0.5pts on Baxter at 320, 0.5pts on Andy Smith at 650, 0.5pts on Rand at 220 and 0.5pts on Wright at 260

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. I think the 1/4 betting is the way to make money in this W.C. There looks to be great value in them. I'm going to pick on form as i think some of the prices are way too big for the form players. I'm staying away from the favourites as i think the value is bad. None of these might win, but i think at least one will, and should get a good run with some of the others. Looking at the 4th 1/4 Wade is best priced 11/10 to make it through which is a ridiculous price. That price is based on past glory. I think Wade could go out in the 2nd round to the inform Peter Wright. Snakebite can be got at a staggering 25/1. He is playing very well at the moment and was unlucky not to beat Newton in the players. He averaged 99.82 in that match, but Newton hit 80% of his doubles to win. He averaged 103.26 in his first round matches. He loves throwing on T.V. which is a big help as well. Ovens and Baxter would be his 3rd round opponents, both players terribly out of form so shouldn't be any worries there. The other half to that 1/4 is a bit of a minefield with Part, Webster, Painter and Walsh all in, but on his day he would have a great chance of beating any of these. The other have to that 1/4 Painter can be got at a serious 16/1 from Bet 365 to win the quarter. IT's the price that is tempting considering Webster is 7/2. Painter has just won the Players championship in through gritty fashion. He was well overdue that win. I have great respect for the finger licker ever since the final with Taylor in 2004. In my top 3 favourite matches ever. He is coming into this on mighty form and will be on a serious high. He has a couple of dangerous matches against Monk and Walsh but should win them. Webster will be his biggest danger but he beat him in the final of the Players. Painter averaged between 95-97 and had over 50% checkout success in his last 3 matches in the Players, that form if repeated would be enough to win this 1/4 2pts Painter win 1/4 four 16/1 bet 365 2pts Wright win 1/4 four 25/1 generally. In the 3rd quarter. Lewis looks on paper to have a handy half in his quarter. Jones looks like the only man that can stop him in sailing into a 1/4 final. Lewis hasn't been that great at all. He played fairly well at the GSOD, but before that his form was patchy again. The draw has been kind to him but Jones might be worth having a look at. Jones is a confidence player much like Lewis, if things are going his way, he will do what he done to John Part in the players. If things are going against him you get what happened in the Walsh match. At 20/1 generally he is worth a gamble at the price. No one really knows what to expect from Lewis. On the other half if that 1/4 Pipe, Newton and Jenkins are. Newton is on form, but proved again in the Players in his a bottler, when he had the championship at his mercy. For that reason alone, i'm not touching him. I was torn between Pipe and the Bull, but went for the Bull at a tasty 12/1 with Hills. He has some nice form coming into thiis, getting out of a hard group in the GSOD which consisted of Wade and Chisnell, he beat Jones next before losing to an inspired Anderson. He meet Taylor in the opening round of the players and looked to be on his way to victory leading 4-1. Taylor turned it around winning 6-4 and averaged 114 for the last 5 legs. The form is there and is proven on the big stage and he looks great value at 12/1 1pt Jones win 1/4 three at 20/1 general 2 pts Jenkins win 1/4 three at 12/1 Hills Onto the 2nd quarter. In the top half of this is Whitlock and can be written off I'd say. No practice and is not in the same form he was 2 years ago. Beaton and King are the two that interest me here. Beaton can be got at a huge 25/1, i love watching him throw, the best and most natural throw in Darts, he could go well here,but I have to go for the King here at 10/1 with StanJ. King is coming back into form and will be a force to be reckoned with again. He played well to knock Taylor out of the Players, but was terrible against Painter which is a worry. I'm willing to take a chance on him with the odds. His form is gradually coming back and the Alexander Palace won't worry him like it does other players. In the other 1/2 of that quarter Gary Anderson is and on form i expect him to rip through his half. A player that interests everyone at the moment is in his half Scott Rand at 50/1 with PP. He is new to Darts in it little over it a year, you'd have to wander where this 35 year old was hiding. He is fine form at the moment beating Barney and Wade at the players. He was 9-6 up against Painter in the semi final nad managed to lose 10-9. I'm going to put that down to nerves and inexperience. He looks a quality player averaging well into the high 90's and at over 50% checkout at the Players. This would be enough to go along way in the WC. At 50/1 he is a massive price. That experience at the Players will help him even more and at 50/1 the price is way too big. 1.5 pts King win 1/4 two at 12/1 SJ 1 pt Rand win 1/4 two at 50/1 PP Quarter one contains the Power and its hard to go a past him to be honest. There is ine man in his 1/2 of the quarter that i like and that is Andy Hamilton. The Hammer loves playing on the stage and one of the few that actually enjoys playing Taylor. He seems to thrive on it. He looks like the only player that could trouble Taylor and at 50/1 is worth a punt. In the other half we have Barney who doesn't convince me at all. I like the look of Nicholson at 16/1. No player stands out in this half, but i think he will be too good for Barney and Tabern. He will be due to play Taylor in the 1/4 finals. He knows he can beat Taylor, but has got a couple of hammerings in the last 2 meetings. Still at 16/1 it looks good value. 0.5 pts Andy Hamilton win 1/4 one 50/1 PP 1.5 pts Nicholson to win 1/4 one 16/1 sportingbet

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. Hoping to go to Ally Pally for a couple of sessions when I'm back from uni in a few days, for what looks to be a cracker of a tournament. Taken a number of outrights though, so no time to waste. Will start with the outright outright :lol Adrian Lewis to win PDC World Championship- 17/2 Bet365- (1.5/10) E/W Actually backing a couple of other players to win Lewis' quarter but IF he gets through his quarter, he'll have to be playing well and if he plays anywhere near his best, it will be hard to find anyone, excluding Taylor, that will match Jackpot. He has had a terrific year, and he would have won the grand slam a few weeks back if Taylor wasn't playing how he was. There's no Taylor until the final though for Lewis, and he shouldn't really be severely tested until the third round where he'll probably face Newton or Jenkins. It could well take him a couple of matches to get going, but from then he should go from strength to strength as he looks to retain his title. Potential semi against Painter I have and I'd have him as a huge favourite there and the final would bring an each way return in if Lewis failed to beat Taylor, but there's a chance someone could take care of him in the top half, but if Lewis is playing how he can, heavy scoring and clean finishing, it's hard to see anyone in the bottom half coping with him. Raymond Van Barneveld to win PDC World Championship- 40/1 Bet365- (1/10) E/W It hasn't been Barney's best season ever but he seems to perform consistently at this time of the year. He has won here in the past and played some exceptional darts, and although he hasn't produced that sort of performance for a while now, last week he seemed to showing glimpses of what he can do with the darts in his hand. He was pounding the maximums and scoring heavily, and if he gets some confidence in his opening couple of matches, we could see him go really well in the tournament. Of course the problem if Taylor being in his quarter, but as we saw last week, Taylor wasn't at his best. Jenkins should have beaten him before King eventually did, and the Power was averaging below 100 and was missing darts to finish legs off, so there's certainly no guarantees that Barney will even face Taylor, but if he did and has some confidence, he could well run him close and even take it. If that happened, this price looks ridiculous and even now, it's still too big for me to not back Barney with small stakes, given his history in the tournament.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. just thought i'd give my two bobs worth on Taylor, i recall the last time he was beaten in the WC he was like a wounded animal and came back eve stronger the next year, there is a fragility in his game 5 -10 years ago you did'nt even question if Taylor would win it was agimme the field at the time, were beaten before they played him nowadays the question is IF not when, round one sees him play a qualifier, and if he was to lose that we might just see him retire it would be so humiliating for him, but we have to expect him to win round two intersests me greatly. Chisnall or Dudbridge since his debut year in the PDC Flash has shown just flashes of that form i don't feel he will handle Chissy, so round two would see Chissy play taylor, i real mouthwatering game , on the plus side Chissy has seen Taylor be slayed on tthe circuit,so he knows it can be done but when it's HIM having to do it himself for thwe first time on tv, then we will see Chissy is an exceptional scorer up there with Lewis and Anderson, and he'll need to be too i reckon he will take two sets at least off Taylor, but fancy Taylor to squeeze through. Round three should see Tyalor face Hylton or hamilton i am suer Hylton has beaten taylor on TV already this year and the hammer is sued to plaing Taylor and will have no fears facingbhis old sparring partner. the last 16 would see the power face Barney or Nicholson and for my money the Power will come a cropper in the first three rounds i think this could be toughest draw that he has had in any WC he will have if he reaches the last forur then the likes of Anderson, and King could await so for me the taylor versus the field bet is a cracking value bet at evens if you can get it.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. -8pts Under 24.5 Total 180s Day One- -4/5 with PaddyPower- Haven't really shopped around here so there may be a better price/line elsewhere, but even at this number I really like the unders here. The only prolific 180 hitter we have on show is Lewis, and in an ideal world he should make light work of Heydon. We then have players like Burnett, Webster, Jones, and the prelim lads who are not renowned for hitting the maxes. Scholten used to be a huge 180 hitter but has not been the same since his injury, and Caven often struggles with nerves on the TV. That leaves Heydon who has a very unconventional throwing action not conducive to hitting the 180s on a regular basis. With so many players who are not really big hitters in terms of 180s I'm happy to take on the line of 24.5 here at a decent enough price. -4pts Lewis to hit most 180s Day One- -7/4 with BetFred- Reasoning as above really. He is the most natural max hitter out of the bunch, and on any sort of form will be a live runner in this. The only danger is if he doesn't get enough legs against Heydon should he win comfortably. At the price though I'm happy to chance it. -3pts Caven -1.5 against Scholten- -11/8 with PaddyPower- This is basically a bet against Scholten more so than it is for Caven. He has not been the same player since the injury, and is definitely on the downturn of his career. Caven struggles with nerves on the TV it seems and was knocked out first round against Rand in the Players Championship. However he still averaged over 90, and Rand went deep in the tournament which does frank his form to an extent. Just feel that we have seen the best of Roland, and if Caven shows up he should win at a canter.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. This isn't the third bet I mentioned last night but the drift on this one has definitely caught my eye so seeing as it's Chrimbo and the season of goodwill to all punters I will hit a 3rd tonight. 3pts P.Barham to beat S.MacKenzie Evs Bet365 Paul Barham is no certainty in this preliminary match because there's no such thing as a certainty over the best of seven legs as I've found out to my cost in the past but the one thing he definitely must be in this match is the favourite. He made it into this tournament by virtue of being second on the PDC youth order of merit where he finished ahead of the likes of Joe Cullen, Aaron Monk and James Hubbard. The first two have qualified for this event by right while Hubbard did himself no harm in the Grand Slam last month. Paul Barham won't have played on the big stage before but that's the only thing that can stop him here. This will be the second time Scott MacKenzie will have graced this stage after he qualified for the event last year, going down 4-3 to the competent German Jyhan Artut. He averaged a shade under 85 on that occasion and played some good darts but I have to question the level of competition he's had since then whereas Paul Barham is getting top quality competition every week on the youth tour. Assuming Barham doesn't suffer from nerves and stagefright, and in my experience youngsters rarely do as they tend to be fearless more often than not, then I expect him to win this match and set up a match with Wayne Jones in the first round later in the evening.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. Now for the quarters. Agree with what Kev has said for a few. Raymond Van Barneveld to win 1st Quarter- 8/1 Bet365- (1/10) Pretty much said everything about Barney above in the outright. Taylor is rightfully the big favourite to make the quarters but if Barney gets going in his first couple of matches, and score like he did last week, the price is too big on him here for me. Mervyn King to win 2nd Quarter- 10/1 Sportingbet- (2/10) Why King is this high escapes me in what is a hugely open quarter. Anderson is the favourite but as we know, he'll miss doubles regularly and in the early few rounds he could well become stuck in the shortish format. King will also have to cope with Whitlock but he is coming back from injury, and to suddenly perform near your best on tv after some time out is a massive ask. King has reached the semis so he has shown he can perform in the tournament, and beating Taylor last week should give him a ton of confidence in what has been a tough year for the King. It's a wide open quarter though, and King is my pick to make it through if he is consistent enough. Wes Newton to win 3rd Quarter- 11/2 Sportingbet- (2/10) Terry Jenkins to win 3rd Quarter- 12/1 William Hill- (2/10) Now although I've taken Lewis for the tournament, this is perhaps a way of covering myself if you like. Lewis could be at his most vulnerable in the first few rounds which leads me to think Newton and Jenkins are in with a chance. Newton made the semis last week before Webster beat him, but he is without doubt one of the most consistent throwers about. He made the quarter finals last year and can beat any player on his day so he's worth a punt in this quarter I feel. Despite being in the bottom half of the quarter with Newton, I can't ignore Jenkins at this price. He looks to have hit some form just at the right time, with recent wins over Wade and Walsh, whilst he should have beaten Taylor last week in the Players Championship. The Bull made the semis here last year and given his recent return to form, the price looks big here so I'll back him along with Wes to trouble the world champ in this quarter. Kevin Painter to win 4th Quarter- 16/1 Bet365- (1/10) Peter Wright to win 4th Quarter- 25/1 Bet365- (1/10) Can't really add much to what has been said about these two so I won't bother, considering I want to do a few more write ups as well. Painter comes into the World Championship after his first tv win, and should have bags of confidence. He has made the quarters in the past where Taylor beat him, but that shows what he can do. Wade and Webster are the favourites in the quarter but neither have looked amazing to me recently so backing Painter to carry his form from last week onto the greatest stage of them all. Wright when he is playing well, plays very well. He will hit maximum after maximum and isn't too shabby when it comes to finishing either as he showed against Newton where in truth he should have won comfortably. Of course he'll have to beat Wade in the second round, but if he plays like he did against Newton in the early shortish format, he's in with a genuine chance, and he is at a price too big for me to pass up.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. Final two outrights then :loon Adrian Lewis Most Tournament 180s- 9/4 BlueSquare- (3/10) Raymond Van Barneveld Most Tournament 180s- 12/1 BlueSquare- (1/10) Already spoken loads about both guys and if either of them makes the quarters or even further, they should be right up there in this market. Lewis in the space of 5/6 legs could reach double figures, as he finds the lipstick with absolute ease. He's the defending champ so he will have the motivation to make up for a supposedly 'bad year'. Hard to see Jackpot not being right up there in terms of maximums scored, and the odds look a tad high on Lewis here. I'm with Kev on Barney though as well. If this bet has any chance of coming through, likelihood is, he'll have to beat Taylor and in order to do that, he'll have to score heavily and consistently which he is capable of doing. Once he gets into his stride he is a joy to watch and from last week, it's hard to ignore him in this market, and he should be in the running with Lewis and Anderson you'd feel if he gets going over the next few weeks.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. Right after all that, onto tonight's card. Will cover the first match first just in case I don't finish by the time it starts. Took them all earlier so unsure whether any of the prices have changed since them. Wouldn't have fluctuated much in any case. Jamie Caven (1.5 sets) to beat Roland Scholten- 5/4 Ladbrokes- (3/10) Under 5.5 180's- 21/20 BlueSquare- (3/10) Caven dominates the head to head 5-0 here, and I fancy him to record another win here at the expense of no more than a set. Caven has been pretty consistent all year without being spectacular. He has made a couple of semis on the floor though, and a couple of semis to go along with that and he should be too consistent for Scholten despite his awful record on tv in which he only has 4 wins in any of the past 20 tv tournaments. The Dutchman has struggled with injury for a little while now and isn't even a shadow of the player he has been in the past. He's not got much to his name at all this season so I'm doubtful, even with Caven's record, that he will trouble his opponent tonight so I'll back Caven on the handicap. Also like the unders on the maximums here. Every other bookmaker makes the unders odds on, yet bluesquare have it above evens which just shouts out to me. Scholten with his neck is unlikely to get into much of a routine when throwing, and Caven isn't the most consistent players when it comes to the lipstick either. Especially considering he may have a few nerves playing in front of the TV cameras. He couldn't muster more than one 180 against Rand last week, showing his maximum scoring credentials and I don't see us seeing more 5 tonight.

Re: 2012 LADBROKES WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP. A few for the other matches as well. Could go horribly wrong before it's even begun :lol Richie Burnett (+1.5 sets) to beat Mark Webster- 11/8 William Hill- (3/10) Over 5.5 180s- 5/6 Ladbrokes- (3/10) With the crowd here in that Burnett is being underrated here. From the head to head, Burnett has shown what he can do against he fellow Welshman. It's been a good season for Burnett, with him making the semis at the Grand Prix where I thought he was excellent, beating Anderson in the process and some other good results to show including a win over in Holland. Webster of late hasn't been at his absolute best, with alot of missed doubles to show, and given Burnett should be able to keep up with him scoring wise, he should be there to take advantage if Webster sticks to recent habits and misses chances to win the legs. Can't ignore Richie here, he has been around for a long time and in front of the TV cameras he has been impressive, so he should be able to stick with Webster and take a couple of sets, if not the match. As I said I think this may be a pretty close one and it could potentially go all the way. If this is the case it gives us more than enough time to see 6 or more maximums. Both can score well so they will contribute to covering the line, and bar any unexpected whitewashes for either player, fancy there to be at least 6 180's between the pair of them. Adrian Lewis vs Nigel Heydon- Over 6.5 180s- 5/6 Sportingbet- (4/10) Over 15.5 legs- 5/6 Bluesquare- (3/10) Spoken a lot about the defending champ before this, and I feel the earlier rounds are the ones where he is most vulnerable. Whoever says he has had a bad year, needs to seriously have a look at what Lewis has achieved. PL runner up and making the semis at the Matchplay are just the start of it so I really don't understand where those comments have come from. However Heydon is a good solid player, and can certainly hold his own tonight. He actually beat Lewis in their last meeting in October, and in the previous meetings to that, Lewis was only a narrow winner. Heydon has a win over Anderson when he qualified for the Grand Slam, which just highlights what he is capable of. There should a few tight sets here, and I feel Heydon is capable of pinching one of them, which should lead to more than 15 legs. If we do see anywhere near the capacity of 15 legs, this line of the 180s will look extremely short. Lewis could easily cover it on his own if he gets going for a couple of sets, but Heydon can score heavily as well so he should contribute to the total as well. I don't see Lewis winning 3-0, and that should give us enough legs to see the required 7 180s we need here.

Re: 2012 PDC World Darts Championship Some great work as always lads,especially on Burnett.As I said previously Kevin is the most astute darts tipster that I have ever seen online. A pretty safe treble for me on friday:hope Justin Pipe over 2.5 180s Co Stompe over 2.5 180s Wes Newton over 3.5 180s treble @ 4.2/1 Paddy Power Regardless of their opponents,each of these lines are too low.I would expect even if they win in straight sets they shall easily cover this.The 3 of them are heavy scorers and more than capable of hitting at least 1 180 each set Good luck

Re: 2012 PDC World Darts Championship Cheers all. Plenty of good stuff in here tonight. Well done to everyone with winners. +5.13 for me personally after the first night and I'm hitting with two in the second night. 4pts J.Pipe vs S.Reed - Over 4.5 180's 11/10 Ladbrokes This line looks horribly low to me. One of the reasons for that is that Justin Pipe is actually a very heavy scorer when he gets going and at some point he will take his floor form to the stage with him but given that this is a five set match I don't think he will need to play particularly well to cover this. If we look back at the World Matchplay, which was the last tournament Pipe played in with matches of a similar distance to this, in 16 legs against Mervyn King, Pipe hit 4 180's and he hit 5 against Newton over 21 legs so there is every chance that Pipe will push this line close himself. I've yet to meet an Australian darts player who doesn't score well though. If you think of all the Aussie players who've made it in the game - Whitlock, Nicholson, Tony David they were all heavy scorers and I believe Reed is in the same ilk as those. Sean Reed will be making his televised debut in this match but as long as he settled down quickly then I believe we will see a 180 or two out of him if not more. The way Pipe has struggled to bring his best form to the stage will give Reed every chance of winning a set and if this is 3-1 or 3-2 either way then the line could be bashed up. Even at 3-0 though I expect the scores to flow and so at odds against I have to take this line. 4pts M.Smith (+2.5 sets) to beat C.Stompe 5/4 William Hill Michael Smith has been making huge strides in 2011. He must have a lot of confidence behind him because he has no less than Gary Anderson sponsoring him out of his own pocket and that's praise enough but when you look at his results on the tour it isn't difficult to see why people are talking about him. He won a UK Open qualifier earlier in the year where he beat Simon Whitlock and Dave Chisnall in the semi finals and final and then on the PDC Youth tour he rattled in a 9 dart finish earlier in the year and made the final of a couple of events there. This isn't Smith's TV debut. He's played King and Barney on the box at the UK Open losing 9-6 and 9-4 respectively but his game has come on a lot this year and I expect him to go well in this match. Co Stompe has been unfortunate at times in 2011 and poor at other times. He played well in the recent Grand Slam and was unlucky to walk into Adrian Lewis and Martin Phillips in excellent touch but a good win over Vincent van der Voort should have boosted confidence from Doncaster last week although his demise to Dave Chisnall where he missed a lot of doubles could well have dented that. Missed doubles have become a bit too much of a feature of the Matchstick's game in recent times and when he isn't the heaviest scorer in the world he really needs to sharpen up on his doubles. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the youngster from St Helens wins this match but whether he wins or he loses I think he'll win at least two sets and I'm happy to take him on the +1.5 handicap at odds against.

Re: 2012 PDC World Darts Championship I lost one of my three selections yesterday in Webster,too many missed doubles im afraid,but they both seem to be hitting 180s for fun,great match to watch. Well done to the winners from yesterday. Took both of kevshats bets for today,odds have dropped on the first bet. 2pts J.Pipe vs S.Reed - Over 4.5 180's odds now Evens 2pts M.Smith (+1.5 sets) to beat C.Stompe 6/5 Ladbrokes

Re: 2012 PDC World Darts Championship Absoultley stonking night of darts last night, more of the same please.Going with one definate tonight. 4 Pts Michael Smith v Co Stompe Over 16.5 legs 10/11 skybet Not a great deal to add to what Kev has already said really.Smith is emerging as a real talent playing on the pdc youth tour and could be a future star,the confident lad has already hit a nine darter on the tour this year and has scalps over Robert Thornton,Whitlock and Chisnall in the UK open on his cv.Whether Smith will be able to claim the scalp of Stompe im not sure but one thing this game will be is close. So four close sets should be enough for this bet to be a winner.

Re: 2012 PDC World Darts Championship I've added to my bets and had 1pt e/w on Newton at 40/1 and 1pt e/w on Barney at 33/1. Hope Barney going back to using his old darts will bring back the old Barney as well and Newtons overpriced for someone who usually gets to at least the quarters

Re: 2012 PDC World Darts Championship I just thought Id mention to anyone that quite rates Burnett he is currently a massive 50/1 to win the 4th quarter with SkyBet. Will find him a general 12-14/1 elsewhere. I think he has it in his locker to be able to beat Part, he has a 4-4 h2h with Painter and he'd be a 50/1 shot against the likes of wade or wright. gotta be some value..