Have you ever been "knocked back"

Just been watching ATR and a caller has just stated that he got "knocked back" as he wanted to back a horse to 100 euro's @ 14/1 and they allowed him to have half at the price they quoted the rest at SP So it leads me to a valid question has it ever happened to you, please dont mention the bookmakers concerned as not to upset the mods I dont mean on-line I refer to going into your LBO Ta

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Yes its happened to me a few times. I once wanted to back something that was 6/4. They let me put a certain amount on at that price and the rest on at 5/4. This could have been because the price was about to change anyway's, but I didn't ask. I have also tried to back something e/w and was not allowed to do so. They said I could back it to win but not e/w for the amount I wanted. I had a terrible experience in a bookie 2 years ago. I would go in pretty much every day and put my bets on for a few months. I must have lost quite a lot before I went on a little winning streak. I walked in the next day and the manager said that head office had been on the phone and they believed I was putting bets on for someone that had been banned from the shop and that she could no longer accept my bets. I was absolutely fuming, and ended up writing a letter to their head office.

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Tabby this could be a long thread, the restrictions that staff are asked to put on thier clients nowadays in betting shops is rediculous. When i was a manager of a big shop the limits were as follows;

Liability £1500 on singles if a price was taken. Double the liability on SP bets. Many 'bad' EW races where the fav is odds on were limited to £25 EW, think thats fairly similar across the board. Pricewise selections were restricted to £25 per customer, although they used to get others to put the bets on for them.
I know from chatting to people in the industry they limit bets a lot more these days, the turnover just isnt there anymore in shops so the 'book' becomes lob sided a lot quicker and raceroom wont take the risks. Its a lot more volatile online and hence prices can change a lot quicker as its easier for the bookies to keep an eye on the liabilites and also a lot easier for the companies to keep an eye on unprofitable customers.

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back"

Ah yes I remember the careful each way races! It is fair enough I suppose. That's interesting about Pricewise. I never knew they had restrictions on his selections.
I remember when the big Pricewise selection was a Prescott horse for a big handicap, it was 10/1 early price. Couldnt believe all these old women and pensioners coming off the street backing this animal for £25 and I hadnt seen any of them before and i had worked there for 3 years and knew all of my customers by their first names. It won at 4/1 by a country mile.:lol

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Does Pricewise get inside info as well as his own studying of the form or is it purely his own? I often think this because he seems to be so much more consistent than anyone else. It is probably down to the fact he is so good at what he does but, I have wondered whether sometimes trainers might give him info.

I remember when the big Pricewise selection was a Prescott horse for a big handicap, it was 10/1 early price. Couldnt believe all these old women and pensioners coming off the street backing this animal for £25 and I hadnt seen any of them before and i had worked there for 3 years and knew all of my customers by their first names. It won at 4/1 by a country mile.:lol
Remember this one well BH, It was Pasternak I believe. It seemed like every man and his dog lumped on it. :ok

Pasternak:ok

Ah yes I remember the careful each way races! It is fair enough I suppose. That's interesting about Pricewise. I never knew they had restrictions on his selections.
It wasn't so bad when they offered EMP's (Early morning Prices) guaranteed to XXXX on 3 or 4 races, but now its almost nearly every race they cant have it all their own way

I remember running to the my local Stanley betting shop to get there before 10.15am to get the 10/1 about Pasternak. They only gave me £10s worth the rest at 4/1. Dead on 10.15 it went to 4/1. If i recall correctly it beat its stablemate by less than a length.

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" I used to back all the Pricewise selections back in the 90s and early 2000s , but i would have to go to towns where there was a few bookies within a minute or 2 walk away from each other. They would all restrict me to £25 or £10 , and at the time you only had 15 minutes from opening to get the price before they were slashed. I stopped following Pricewise in 2001 when Mel Collier quit and Tom Segal tookover. I simply couldn't get on at the amounts i wanted. I tried to follow it when online betting became more popular but after a couple of successes they all restricted certain bets to £25/£10 or even less .Simply not worth following at reduced odds in my opinion. I think bookies like Pricewise in a way because a lot will follow the gamble at lesser odds and as we all know the % strike rate is pretty low. Also when i followed Timeform all the recommended horses were restricted and slashed at the earliest opportunity.

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" I think they are all spineless and full of sh@t. They issue statements like punters having £500k @10/11 on Frankel (VC) , £40k on So You Think (Corals) and other guys with carrier bags full of notes , yet small punters like us can't even get more than £25 on certain selections. A properly run Tote with plenty of liquidity would be fantastic.

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Constantly and consistantly. They seem to limit the win amount rather than the stake, so I could get a tenner at 5-2 but only £1 at 25-1. Interestingly a newish account I used last year limited me during a big losing run. When I asked customer services they said it was because of the level of the market, not me specifically. I guess I was just unlucky to always choose a small market at the main meeting of the day in the middle of Summer on a Saturday, so ended up closing that account. I did however hear from a trader with another firm that it was because I was winning and the horses I was backing were shortening significantly in the market.

Constantly and consistantly. They seem to limit the win amount rather than the stake' date=' so I could get a tenner at 5-2 but only £1 at 25-1. Interestingly a newish account I used last year limited me during a big losing run. When I asked customer services they said it was because of the level of the market, not me specifically. I guess I was just unlucky to always choose a small market at the main meeting of the day in the middle of Summer on a Saturday, so ended up closing that account. I did however hear from a trader with another firm that it was because I was winning and the horses I was backing were shortening significantly in the market.[/quote'] Good to see you back Kithanga, miss reading your thread you had. You still punting?

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Hi there. Not at the moment. My thread and bets were losing so I took a break as I was having problems getting the money down too. Can't think why as I was shipping cash at a fair rate! My stakes were being reduced to ridiculously low levels so I moved onto the exchanges. This solved the problem of getting on but I was losing out a lot on the prices as the best price guarantee, which was a very good concession, was gone. Managed to win a lot back though so I only ended 2010 down about £2k which was good considering how badly I started the year. It did prove that I'm best when focussing on non-handicap races though as I pulled in a big profit in 2009 when mainly betting in that type of race. May get back into it in future when I have more time as the exchange markets only really get going near the off for larger stakes and I can't afford the time to track them at the moment.

Is this more a case of the bookies slashing the price as oposed to knocking anyone back. I'm sure the bookies will be very accommodating at 5/2.
I suggest that anyone who did get on at the morning price only got it to small stakes, commonly called a "buzzer" horse I cant remember the origin of the term not doubt someone will remind me

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Never been knocked back by a betting shop or online but that's probably because I wouldn't dream of putting a bet on above 50 quid without being on the track so I could look at the horse in the paddock beforehand. And i've never been knocked back by a bird full stop but that's because im a handsome mofo. :cigar

Re: Have you ever been "knocked back" Ellison should have done the "change to superior jockey " trick , once the money was down. It looks like the jockey fluffed it at the start. Shame for the connections it was just foiled because next time it won't be the same conditions and the same price , everybody is in the loop now.

Ellison should have done the "change to superior jockey " trick ' date=' once the money was down. It looks like the jockey fluffed it at the start. Shame for the connections it was just foiled because next time it won't be the same conditions and the same price , everybody is in the loop now.[/quote'] Ellison is the worlds worst for that.