** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BBOTD 9th July

Re: BBOTD 9th July If Delagator gets his ground he will be very hard to beat but speaking from the wallet frankie alwasy rides a shocker when my cash is on his back, however if your cash is down i wish you the very best of luck as i know he is a class Jockey. I'll stick my BBOTD on a yard thats flying at the moment and i have always been a massive fan of, i know he has two in the race but i think there could be more to come from this fellow, he was 2nd last time out and if he's come on ANY from his last run he MUST be involved in the finish. Jockey K Fallon rode him last time and takes the ride again, he's comes out gate 4 and i give him a great chance. Newmarket 3:35 - Monsieur Chevalier 0.5 e/w bet 10/1 Tote & PP etc etc Enjoy your weekend.

Re: BBOTD 9th July The Darley Cup is always an interesting race with horses of all different backrounds, in these races i tend to go for the older trusted classy horse, they've usually traversed the globe in search of the best races and rated +144. one such horse is War Artist and although not getting any younger or faster would still have enough class to get involved at the business end. I don't think an 8yr old has ever won this race before which is obviuosly a big concern, anyway I'll take a chance and play e/w

Re: BBOTD 9th July 3.35 Newmarket - 1pt win Bated Breath @ 8/1 (Bet365) - BOG Roger Charlton has had a good time of it lately, recording 5 winners and 4 places from his last 16 runners - all in the last fortnight. He only had 5 winners in June, and 4 of those came after the 25th, so he's clearly hitting form at the right time for this. Bated Breath made rapid strides as a 3yo last year, winning each of his first three starts - culminating in a ready 3l win in a decent handicap at Haydock. He possibly found the softer conditions against him when 3rd of 10 behind Dafeef and Deacon Blues on the July course last August - although he was only beaten 3/4l in total having been sent off the 9/4 favourite. Both of the horses who beat him that day are useful, and the latter won the Wokingham this year at Royal Ascot. It was a similar story when Bated Breath went to Doncaster for a listed race - sent off at 7/4 but could only stay on steadily to finish a well-held 4th. Charlton only managed 3-29 in August, however, his worst strike rate of the season, so trainer form may have contributed to him disappointing. Bated Breath was hampered back at Doncaster and never got in the race when 10th of 14 on his return this year, but showed he still was very useful when getting the better of Society Rock at Haydock in May. He readily brushed aside his field at Windsor - with decent horses in behind with Triple Aspect, Libranno, Monsieur Chevalier, and Horseradish chasing him home. Libranno won a Group 3 since, and Monsieur Chevalier ran a blinder to be 2nd in the Golden Jubilee - with Society Rock, who Bated Breath also beat this season, winning the Group 1 event at Ascot. Bated Breath did run in the same race, and ran a creditable 5th of 16 - beaten 2 1/4l. He stayed on, but the ground was deemed soft that day, and Bated Breath's best runs have come seemingly on quicker ground. Whilst it could have some cut in it today, it's unlikely to be as soft as it was at Ascot, so I expect an improved performance. He's beaten proven Group horses this season already, and with ground to suit, the trainer in good form, and a draw in the middle, I think he's set to run a big race.

Re: BBOTD 9th July 3:35 Newmarket - Hitchens - win @ 40/1 (Bet365) David Barron has previously said that he thinks Hitchens could cut it at the top level and I think he's worthy of a chance here. He has raced on 36 occasions and although he wouldn't be expected to still have improvement in him at this stage, a career-best effort was achieved on his penultimate start. Barron brought his talented 6 year old over to The Curragh back in May to contest a Group 3 race and whilst it wouldn't be form that entitles him to go well here, he won the race quite impressively. Fran Berry was on board that day and he waited patiently for a gap on board this battle-hardened sprinter. Once he got a clear run, he picked up impressively and won going away at the stiff Irish track. He's relatively unexposed at stiff tracks and I think this place will suit ideally, so there could be an outside chance of him getting involved. Delegator is obviously talented and should go very, very close. However, Hitchens was just 1½ lengths behind him in the Duke Of York Stakes at York in May, before he won the Group 3 race in Ireland. Barron's charge just couldn't sustain his effort as long as the leading trio could and he had to settle for 4th place in the end, despite getting alongside the leaders in the final furlong. The way he traveled into things gives cause for a lot of optimism and if he can be waited with until the last moment, he may have a chance to utilize his nice turn of foot. The faster the ground gets, the better and it was soft ground and a poor draw that ruined his chance in the Golden Jubilee at Royal Ascot last time out. A line can be put through that effort and we should get a chance to see the real animal here. The pace should be rapid and the ability to stay right to the line will be essential. Hitchens is a real trier and his solid attitude will come in handy here. He's got an equally hard trier on board today, as the in-form Silvestre De Sousa hops back on board. He's got 3 places from 3 rides on board this fellow and does well when riding for David Barron. It will take some effort for this 6 year old to land the spoils here but I don't think there's a lot between the top sprinters and surprise results are always a possibility. Dalghar and Regal Parade were the others I'd consider at a price but David Barron rarely leads me astray. I think he's got a lively outsider here and if the ground quickens up sufficiently, 40/1 could look a huge price (70.0 on the exchange, lovely!). He could come nowhere or he could run a cracker. Small each-way stakes for me and I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see him in the money. 1/3 odds for a place also.

Re: BBOTD 9th July 3.55 York Mirrored 16/1 e/w Ladbrokes Drop back in trip may help here. Will need luck in running but stable do well at the course. The horse has been running consistently well this year and he has been dropped 1lb since his last run. I have followed the horse this year so would be gutted if I let him run today without backing him and he went and won. A very open race but this horse has a touch of class about him and I expect him to be finishing his race better than most here.

Re: BBOTD 9th July 2.40 York - Eternal Heart - 1pt win 9/1 Hills Plenty of decent racing today so picking a BBOTD proving difficult. The selection ran well LTO in difficult conditions and loves to bowl along out front. Its possible today that he may get an uncontested lead and off a light weight may prove difficult to pass. Jockey's only runner at York and then back to Nmkt later in the day. 21% strike rate when riding for Johnston. Wouldnt want much more rain

Re: BBOTD 9th July 1.55 Ascot: Tartan Trip 1pt win @ 9/1 Will Hill BOG Has been knocking on door this year from around this mark before disappointing LTO. That run however was over a furlong further so return to a mile can be viewed as a positive. Also, David Probert, who gets on well with the horse, is back on board after missing LTO ride. Blinkers on today may well help and think this horse could win from this mark back down in grade. 9/1 looks a fair price IMO.

Re: BBOTD 9th July 2.55 Newmarket Al Khaleej ew 20/1 BET 365 As always a very difficult race to the winner from but David Simcocks Al Khaleej stands out as a bit of value to me at the price. Always looked as if he needed the run when finishing 20 lengths behind the winner Nationalism. To be fair to him and the jockey when he tried to make his move he did not get a clear run and had to switch sides making the performance look worse than it was. He is dropped to a mark of 99 today and would still require a career best performance to take this very competitive event. However I think he will have come on for the run and with ground conditions suiting today and the fact that he is a two time course winner indcluding a success over todays distance makesd him look a value bet to me.

Re: BBOTD 9th July Chester 16:00 - Beat The Shower 18/1 Totesport 0.5pts E/W Average form of late but racked up a treble around this time last year, best form to offer is when the ground is a tad softer so should get that a bit here today. Has been running averaged but because of that is slowly getting back onto a winnable mark and could take advantage of that here.

Re: BBOTD 9th July 4.20 Ascot Licence to Till - was given a terrible ride from the hapless Royston Ffrench at Pontefract last time but caught the eye with a strong finishing effort. He is back down to his last winning mark and is fully effective over this trip. I would have liked to have seen him at Pontefract rather than Ascot but its here that Johnston sends him and wouldn't want to miss out, even to small stakes, at 12/1. 12/1 Coral, 1 pt

Re: BBOTD 9th July 3.55 York Quite Sparky relished the step back up to a mile lto after being hampered over 7F the time before at this course. Ground perfect and has the assistance of a very good jockey. Decent draw here also as the high numbers have to tack across so all and all has a decent chance here to notch up another victory which will make it 3 from 5 for this stable. 1 Pt Win 8/1 Hills

Re: BBOTD 9th July 3.15 York John Smiths Cup with 20 runners going to post for this Class 2 handicap over 10 furlongs. I'm taking one at a massive price who could easily bomb with the likes of Pekan Star and Green Destiny in the field. However, I'm sure it's worth the chance. Saptapadi (33/1 Betfred BOG 1/4 odds 5 places) - Fred is paying out on the first 5 home so I'll the price with him. This horse is 2nd top weight and has a wide draw but is no forlorn hope. Trainer is very shrewd indeed and in great form with 4 winners and 6 more in the frame for his last 16 runners. Is still pretty much lightly raced for a 5yo and, despite its mark of 105, I think the 3lb jockey claim makes this one appeal quite a bit at the weights. Has only won its maiden but has run well in a few group races including a G2 2nd to Akmal over a trip much further than this. The key could be the drop back to 10f as well as the change of stable. Travels well in its races and it may just be that trip has been the reason it hasn't won more. A big field and fast pace will ensure that this is run to suit and if stamina comes into play, then our charge has all the assets needed. Changed stables at the end of the last term and was purchased for a decent sum of 82,000 Gns, suggesting good things are expected. The ease in the ground is also a plus and, if they decide to come stands side the wide draw may be less of an issue that first thought. Should be a cracking race and I just hope our selection can do itself justice and go close. Win

York 3.15 Green Destiny win - 9/1 WH Well, no luck with this fella so far. Non runner in Hunt Cup when I had the 10/1 antepost. Then well backed fav in the Wolferton, but didn't run particularly well. Few of Haggas'es didn't perform at the Royal meeting though and I suspect they could've been short of gallop or two. Of course it could turn out to be that Green Destiny isn't really pattern class like I thought he would be, but I'm willing to give him another chance. Jockey is great value for his claim.

Re: BBOTD 9th July sorry computer went silly anyway tominator had great run last time out coming through the field and winning by 2 3 length. he proves he can stay on and has bit of a kick plus hes a grey horse lol. should go e.w but i wont. but he won over 2m not 1m 6 so its all to play for there so many greaat horses in this even an outsider could win. but he has very good chance today especially on soft ground depending on how much rain falls today

Re: BBOTD 9th July 5.00 York - Profile Star (9/1 SkyBet) 1pt Win Running last time out all wrong as was lit up by first time blinkers and didn't stand a chance of getting home, that was also in a fairly hot conditions race and he was allowed to go off at 25/1. Better judged on his win in a Thirsk maiden, where he had a good few subsequent winners behind him, with one of those, Rent Free, re-opposing today. I think my selection may well have been kept back for nurseries by his shrewd trainer and I fancy him to go very well and definitely think 9/1 is overly generous.

Re: BBOTD 9th July

15:45 Ascot Cityscape - 1pt win @ 7/4 >Bet365 Cityscape looks ready to win again after a great run coming 3rd behind Canford Clifs and Goldikova last time out has won before over this distance the ground wont be a problem and should be to good for rivals this time
now a non runner 15.40 Tipperary Experience - 1pt win @ 11/10 >Bet365 Experience will be hard to stop here coming off a double she should have to much speed and class for the main rivals here the penalty wont be a problem and should win well in the drop in trip

Re: BBOTD 9th July 0.5 e/w curtains 20/1 stan james ascot 16.55 curtains has won at this distance before,curtains was a decent 3rd last time out in a 6 furlong contest only beaten by 2 and a half lenghts but running on so the extra furlong today should help,the 2 runs before that curtains was disapointing but they were in class 1 and class 2 company,with 4 wins a second and a third in 17 starts the 20/1 offers good value

Re: BBOTD 9th July 410 Nm: Tropical Beat 1pt (6/1 Hills) Took the 15/2 last night and forgot to copy the post over to this thread, now only 6/1 but i'll stick by the selection anyway on a very tricky day. Backed this one at Royal Ascot and was given an awful ride by Buick, missed the start and cruised home passing beaten horses, would have gone close if he was ridden closer to the pace and hopefully Nicky Mackay will give him a chance here. Its quite competative but must follow this horse especially in a visor for the first time.

Re: BBOTD 9th July Vulcanite 2.40 York (10-1 >Bet365) Up in trip today but just looked like it lacked fitness last time out at Ponty. Travelled well for a long way and has been in fine form before this with a string of wins. Unexposed, right age as 4 yr olds do well in this race, ground fine. If it gets the extra few furlongs it has a real live chance today.

Re: BBOTD 9th July CRUISER 1.55 Ascot. 0.5 points each way. Looks an each way steal based on latest effort, so with getting into this off the same mark of 85, and with handling a bit of cut (if anymore rain gets in) and liking this trip, it all looks good for him to run a big race. The pace of the race should suit if most do as they normally do, so all in all looks a solid option. 5/1 Boylesports BOG.

Re: BBOTD 9th July Ajaan 2.40 York. 0.5 points each way. I thought he ran a great race after a layoff last time, and I also think that testing run may see him show a bit better today. Drops back to a more suitable trip, and with getting in off a mark of 101 (bodes well in context on all known recent form), I think he can run another big race. The ground's not as soft as it was last time and the blinkers stay on, so although needs to show his stuff and no less, I think he's more than capable and the price is certainly there to warrant taking the risk. 25/1 Bet365 (bog)

Re: BBOTD 9th July 5:30 Cheveton @ Ascot - Hasn't really been running well this year yet but did win two good handicaps last year.Now dropping down the weights and is 2lb lower than when last winning.Jockey Ryan Clarke claims 5lb and has a 24% strike rate on the turf this year. 0.5pt E/W @ 12/1 Coral

Re: BBOTD 9th July York 3.15 - Kings gambit - ew at 40/1 BOG bet365 Former dual Group One winning horse in South Africa. Since he came over to the UK in 2009 he's mainly run in group races and won a group 3 at sandown in April this year Normally this one could be dismissed as a twilight horse, too high in the weights for handicaps and generally running for place money in group races. But he has a good handicap record since he came here - he's only run in 2 and finished 2nd both times in a Listed handicap at Royal Ascot and in this race last year. He's obviously vulnerable if there's an unexposed group horse lurking down the weights in the handicap as with Wigmore Hall last year But he's a solid group class runner with a good record in big handicaps - hopefully he'll run into a place !