** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

What about the unabated ascendency of Oisin Murrphy? I know he fairly burst on to the scene last season but he has been nothing short of brilliant so far this season. His polished style and tactical awareness is quite something for one so young. Losing his claim has done nothing to stem the flow of winners and the breadth of trainers giving him rides is a good indication of the regard in which he is held - even when he was able to claim 3lb he was getting booked for non-handicap races where he could not claim with Hot Streak in the Temple Stakes the most notable example. Be amazed if he is not champion jockey very soon and I think he could even do it within the next 2 seasons with the right backing.
You might have been typing same time as me, see above regarding Oisin Murphy and Godolphin. :ok

It might have been on here or elsewhere but it was noticed recently that Oisin Murphy was on a horse for Godolphin and someone suggested they might try and snap him up and then have Fallon guiding him, almost like a mentor. That would be interesting but they really need to sort out their breeding operation at Godolphin, miles behind Coolmore. I've also been impressed with Cam Hardie and he looks to be a young lad going places.
I seriously hope that does not happen. Barzalona and SDS were two of the most promising jockeys of their generation and Godolphin did nothing to nurture their development.. Whole Godolphin operation has massive issues in my opinion, the management seems to lack any real coherent long term vision. As you say their breeding operation is really coming unstuck in recent years - clearly the birds are coming home to roost now with their refusal to use Coolmore sires and they have some overly stamina laden bloodlines as a result.

Great to see D Tudhope a decent up and coming jockey riding well. He's going to be a top 10 jockey in time.
Great to see D Tudhope ride a double yesterday at Ripon which included the Big race the Great St Wilfred. keep your eye on him he's a jockey of the future

joseph obriens ride on kingsbarns today what was that all about??
Was going to say the same thing yesterday. S Heffernan on the winner was always travelling the best and Kingsbarns for the final furlong and a bit was just half a neck down Heffernan not making much effort to assert and Young Joseph rowing away like mad. It looked like Heffernan wanted Kingsbarns to get past and win but couldn't. This reminds me of a long debate we had on here a year or two back when St Nicholas Abbey was beaten by his 66/1 pacemaker. AP O'Brien is quoted afterwards saying they thought the horse would get tired and may need the run. The horse was odds on in the morning and drifted to 9/4 whereas the winner , not as big as 66/1 shortened to 13/2.

noel garbutt what age is he?? is he late to racing as an apprentice?
They have lifted the age limit for apprentices , you can be an apprentice or conditional until you ride out your claim. Up until sometime in the last decade , once you reached 25 years of age you became a jockey and lost you right to claim. I think Kim Tinkler ( wife of trainer N Tinkler ( Sugarfoot Group race winner)one of the most successful female jockeys prior to the emergence of Hayley Turner , did not ride out her claim but lost her right to claim , she was a moderately successful jockey until her retirement very recently. Now we have jockeys able to claim at all ages , theres a jockey currently riding who has a cult following who is in her late 40s.

Re: The Jockey Thread Tom Queally should consider an early retirement too, he's been SHOCKING this season, no wonder Lady Cecil helped pack his bags. He's been on a string of good chance runners over the last few weeks, and he's bagged absolutely nothing, rides with zero passion and it looks like his mind / racing head is elsewhere. PISS POOR! http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/profiles/jockey/1207/t-p-queally

Re: The Jockey Thread Jockeys fighting in pub! This CCTV video captures the moment a brave landlord stood his ground when fighting broke out in his pub, using a POOL CUE to break up the brawlers. The ruckus started when former Grand National jockey Sean Quinlan, racehorse trainer Paul O'Neill and friend Luke Cooper set upon drinkers Martin Reeves and Adam Smith. During the two minute video they can be seen punching, kicking and throwing bar stools at the two victims while they are on the floor.

They have lifted the age limit for apprentices , you can be an apprentice or conditional until you ride out your claim. Up until sometime in the last decade , once you reached 25 years of age you became a jockey and lost you right to claim. I think Kim Tinkler ( wife of trainer N Tinkler ( Sugarfoot Group race winner)one of the most successful female jockeys prior to the emergence of Hayley Turner , did not ride out her claim but lost her right to claim , she was a moderately successful jockey until her retirement very recently. Now we have jockeys able to claim at all ages , theres a jockey currently riding who has a cult following who is in her late 40s.
As far as I'm aware you can be considered an apprentice until you are 26, I believe it's the same with conditionals. However, you can be an amateur jockey at any age and continue to claim an allowance if you have not rode the winners.

Jockeys fighting in pub! This CCTV video captures the moment a brave landlord stood his ground when fighting broke out in his pub, using a POOL CUE to break up the brawlers. The ruckus started when former Grand National jockey Sean Quinlan, racehorse trainer Paul O'Neill and friend Luke Cooper set upon drinkers Martin Reeves and Adam Smith. During the two minute video they can be seen punching, kicking and throwing bar stools at the two victims while they are on the floor.
Be interesting to see what the BHA do about this one! Many want them to ban him from riding but I can't see that. If he gets a custodial sentence then I could understand the ban, but when all sorts of characters are getting back into the sport after questionable actions I can't see him getting banned for life.

As far as I'm aware you can be considered an apprentice until you are 26' date=' I believe it's the same with conditionals. However, you can be an amateur jockey at any age and continue to claim an allowance if you have not rode the winners.[/quote'] Yes , you could be right , I did not search for confirmation prior to posting , I just thought I read they lifted the age limit sometime in the last decade , I may be wrong. In your popular Apprentice Watch thread , you posted a chart featuring apprentices which included the competent multiple Group race winning Slade O'Hara , he is currently claiming 3lbs. He started riding in 2002 which means he's been riding 12 years. I don't know for sure what the minimum age is for apprentice jockeys but I guess it is 16. If that is so then Slade would have to be at least 27 depending on which month his birthday falls on , so maybe the information you posted is from an old text book or an out of date piece of text.

Yes , you could be right , I did not search for confirmation prior to posting , I just thought I read they lifted the age limit sometime in the last decade , I may be wrong. In your popular Apprentice Watch thread , you posted a chart featuring apprentices which included the competent multiple Group race winning Slade O'Hara , he is currently claiming 3lbs. He started riding in 2002 which means he's been riding 12 years. I don't know for sure what the minimum age is for apprentice jockeys but I guess it is 16. If that is so then Slade would have to be at least 27 depending on which month his birthday falls on , so maybe the information you posted is from an old text book or an out of date piece of text.
We'll see if he's still allowed to claim next year ;) My info's from the BHA website. However, I did read it some time ago.

We'll see if he's still allowed to claim next year ;) My info's from the BHA website. However, I did read it some time ago.
A jockey who I have always followed is Ann Stokell , not because she is considered a good / successful jockey but the fact she is a trier and when she wins its one for the little guys. I think she is a similar age to myself , mid to late 40s. I first noticed her name during the late 80s when she was more prolific in the national Hunt scene , at the time she must have been under 25 and therefore if I recall correctly she claimed 7lb. As far as I am aware she did not / or still has ridden many winners. By the early 90s she must have reached her late 20s and therefore lost her right to claim. Back to the last few years , her claim has been retrospectively re-applied.

Re: The Jockey Thread Just searched for confirmation in what I have said and checked on the history of Pawan , one of the most popular horses in the past decade ( in the cult sense ). Pawan raced 168 times , Ann rode him in all his starts except for the first 6 races. The first few dozen races she had no claim , then in February 2006 she went back to having a 7lb claim , which has now been reduced to 5lbs as of 2014. This doesn't totally confirm what I have said but its pretty much what I have alluded.

Great to see D Tudhope ride a double yesterday at Ripon which included the Big race the Great St Wilfred. keep your eye on him he's a jockey of the future
Fantastic to see him win a Gr1. In a few years its highly likely he will be top class. He's a name a I search out for when I open the racing papers.

Re: The Jockey Thread What the hell is going on with Godolphin's riding arrangements? They got rid of Barzalona, brought in Fallon and shafted poor De Sousa on some big rides. They have been using Adam Kirby, Freddy Tylicki and just about anyone else that has a whip. Tomorrow at Donny they have booked Ryan Moore to ride Clon Brulee, very interesting booking seeing as he has such a good relationship with the Coolmore Mafia from Ireland.

Strange isn't it?! Not sure what Silvestre has done wrong' date=' but he seems to be very out of favour at the moment...[/quote'] Maybe he's been giving Mrs Bin Suroor some riding lessons, these jockeys have a habit of putting it where they shouldn't. :spank

Dam good jockey too. The boys in blue have high demands on success, they are not giving these guys a chance.
High demands on success aren't necessarily a bad thing. But if you have high ambitions, then you need to have the ammunition for it as well. I can't see Godolphin having it, considering their huge operation. Couple of their horses are so poor, they do actually run in class 6 Handicaps at Kempton at the moment. Something wrong there. And the jockeys aren't on fault. De Sousa is a top class man and everyone in the business knows that. God knows why he fell out of favour. But even in Fallon's case - just a couple of weeks ago it looked a match in a blue heaven - he and Godolphin - and now? Fell out of favour too it seems! Doesn't have many rides for the boys in blue anymore these days. Instead, as you guys pointing out, they are using any jockey who is able to hold a whip and doesn't fall off the horse!

Re: The Jockey Thread Being a retained rider for Godolphin sounds about as appealing as being appointed Leeds United Manager at the moment. As Mowgli mentions, they have used numerous jockeys lately, including Richard Hughes and William Buick. They seem to be in denial.

Cracking ride from Kevin Sexton in the 7pm at Galway, grand stuff, gust grand. http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/10-09-2014/galway/result/639491/guinness-handicap-chase
Good stuff alright. Horse seemed to jump always to the left and also looked to be bit short of room around the home turn. Very strong finish from the young man then to get the horse up on the line!