** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Jockey Thread i think a mention must go to rosie jessop ride on ela goog la mou at yarmouth on monday,no pace early on so she took the lead after 3 furlongs and went clear and kept on to win ,this is not the 1st time she has done this,she seems to get the fractions right

Re: The Jockey Thread No I saw it too. Wondered if he had mistaken the finish line but it looked like he just gave up. Richard Hughes does it all the time, if the horse isn't going to win he will often not ride for a place to protect ratings. Nevertheless I was happy as I had layed it!

Re: The Jockey Thread

No I saw it too. Wondered if he had mistaken the finish line but it looked like he just gave up. Richard Hughes does it all the time, if the horse isn't going to win he will often not ride for a place to protect ratings. Nevertheless I was happy as I had layed it!
I'm glad someone else has noticed R Hughes not making an effort for a place once the chance of a win has gone. I have said this on multiple occasions in the past and get slated for it. Some members offer ridiculous excuses for him like ' animal welfare '. No you have it spot on, he doesn't try, despite being a highly competent jockey.

Re: The Jockey Thread Great to the very promising Sam Twiston Davies get the opportunity to ride as number 1 at Paul Nicholls. I think he will be top class in a few years time. It's very unfortunate for D Jacobs but as many punters suspected, he only took over R Walsh temporarily whilst a more highly skilled jockey became available. I'm sure there is some success in store for D Jacobs in the near future. Dont forget in the early days of AP McCoy he was stable jockey for P Nicholls before joining up with the then champion trainer M Pipe,look what he has achieved since.

Re: The Jockey Thread Never backed it so not talking from the wallet. Richard Hughes never asked Zurigha for a single effort in the Fillies group 3' - HQ 14:40 Must have thoughts / plans for another days racing, today was a day out.

Re: The Jockey Thread "He's past it" "He's gone at the game" "Time to call it a day" "Can't go on for much longer" [h=1]"Hannon and Fallon Thunder to Guineas" "Fallon to ride True Story in Dante"[/h]A few of the comments heard last season from around the tracks and the RP headlines from the last few days. Looks like Mr Fallon has a new job with Bin Suroor/Godolphin. Seems he's not quite ready for the pipe and slippers just yet. :)

"He's past it" "He's gone at the game" "Time to call it a day" "Can't go on for much longer" "Hannon and Fallon Thunder to Guineas" "Fallon to ride True Story in Dante" A few of the comments heard last season from around the tracks and the RP headlines from the last few days. Looks like Mr Fallon has a new job with Bin Suroor/Godolphin. Seems he's not quite ready for the pipe and slippers just yet. :)
Good move there imho, just hope SDS is still very much part of their plans long term. Now they need to sort Barzalona's replacement at Appleby's yard, never seen so many bad rides given to horses and especially in Dubai this winter.

Re: The Jockey Thread Something that I've noticed over the last few months is that there are very few apprentices who win maidens on the flat. This month I've only counted four. Something to bear in mind if you see a claimer on a short priced favourite, for sure.

Re: The Jockey Thread Luke Morris - riding style: Why is his whip arm going round like a windmill in a finish ? If it's for "style", I don't like it. If it's to whip harder, I don't like it. If it's for rhythm, the other guys don't do it.

Re: The Jockey Thread I like his action - shows he's working hard, which is more than can be said for some of the other jocks. The stewards would warn him if it's to whip harder, so doubt it's that. He won the AW championship a year or two ago, so it seems to have worked for him even though the guy rides horses with limited ability - perhaps the horse can be more spurred on this way?

Re: The Jockey Thread Brave ride from apprentice Jake Hodson on Present To You in the 7.30 at Towcester yesterday. A very endearing run from the horse as well, tried to make all at 25/1 (I had a few quid on it, call it after-timing if you like :D) and was being ridden along and seemingly struggling half way through. Came back on the bridle and ran very well, just getting too tired towards the end. Finished 2nd. I've added Bridgewater's runner to my tracker, seemed a real trier did the horse and should find a win somewhere.

Re: The Jockey Thread Apprentice race at Newmarket. Michael Kenneally wins with his first ride under rules. Working from the start of the race to keep the horse in touch and coming through to win. He could be a jock to watch! http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/16-05-2014/newmarket/result/616953/newmarketexperience-co-uk-racing-excellence-hands-and-heels-apprentice-series-handicap/video

Re: The Jockey Thread I could throttle Richard Hughes sometimes. 8:05 Windsor on Kuda Huraa, did not ride out the finish yet again. Lost 2nd place in the last 50 yards meaning no each-way money. Cost my each-way accumulator. The chance of the win had gone but you have to ride the finish Hughes!

I could throttle Richard Hughes sometimes. 8:05 Windsor on Kuda Huraa' date=' did not ride out the finish yet again. Lost 2nd place in the last 50 yards meaning no each-way money. Cost my each-way accumulator. The chance of the win had gone but you have to ride the finish Hughes![/quote'] I have said the same many many times in the past. I hate having to put money on horses he's riding. He is one to avoid EW, forecasts,Trifectas , Swingers, place betting and Placepots etc. I would like to see the authorities clamp down on him, lesser jockeys are banned for similar offences but Hughes seems to be exempt sometimes, maybe it's because of his experience in front of the stewards that gets him off the hook because he knows what they want to hear. I'd like the stewards to take harsher action and apply it evenly to all jockeys. We put our money down we demand 100% effort. You buy something substandard from Tesco or Argos, you can complain and get your money back or a satisfactory substitute. If a punter backs a non trier theres no one we can turn to except Jack Daniels or Jim Bean.

I have been watching Hughes more closely of late' date=' and although I had a different opinion in the past, I agree with ye.[/quote'] We had a few arguments over this in the past, I'm glad you now see where we are coming from.

Re: The Jockey Thread I was at York last week and noticed a jockey as he went past me on a horse and thought he looked a bit odd but couldn't figure out why. I checked the racecard and found it was Philip Prince, not a name I am familiar with. I googled the name when I got home and unfortunately just got loads of pages on Prince Philip but then added the word jockey and found a few news articles. The lad was born with one ear and a lopsided jaw and has had to fight a ruling that said he couldn't be a jockey. He had been spotted riding ponies and had 30 winners from 60 rides but the BHA said he couldn't ride due to his hearing disability. This was challenged and he won his case and is now riding. Worked out well for him in the end and good to see a positive outcome for the lad. Hope he goes on to ride a few winners. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8385369.stm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1232164/RACING-No-debut-victory-dream-day-rookie-jockey-Philip-Prince-Wolverhampton.html

Re: The Jockey Thread Charlie Appleby has 2 runners in the same race tomorrow, Buick on one and Moore on the other. Barzalona rides in the same race but not on either of the Appleby horses. I know Appleby was going to use other jockeys when available but surely this is a huge two fingers to Barzalona and he should be looking for a new stable to ride for.

I was at York last week and noticed a jockey as he went past me on a horse and thought he looked a bit odd but couldn't figure out why. I checked the racecard and found it was Philip Prince, not a name I am familiar with. I googled the name when I got home and unfortunately just got loads of pages on Prince Philip but then added the word jockey and found a few news articles. The lad was born with one ear and a lopsided jaw and has had to fight a ruling that said he couldn't be a jockey. He had been spotted riding ponies and had 30 winners from 60 rides but the BHA said he couldn't ride due to his hearing disability. This was challenged and he won his case and is now riding. Worked out well for him in the end and good to see a positive outcome for the lad. Hope he goes on to ride a few winners. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8385369.stm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1232164/RACING-No-debut-victory-dream-day-rookie-jockey-Philip-Prince-Wolverhampton.html
Great wee jockey who always tries, a few of the more high profile ''jokers'' could learn from Philip. Has one ride today and two for Friday. http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/profiles/jockey/140951/philip-prince/future-entries

Charlie Appleby has 2 runners in the same race tomorrow' date=' Buick on one and Moore on the other. Barzalona rides in the same race but not on either of the Appleby horses. I know Appleby was going to use other jockeys when available but surely this is a huge two fingers to Barzalona and he should be looking for a new stable to ride for.[/quote'] Not before time imo. I think something happened or was said after Cavalrymans defeat in Dubai when Barzalona on Songcraft hemmed in SDS on Cavalryman effectively costing him the race. Maybe it wasn't that incident but Barzalona hasn't ridden a Bin Suroor horse since and rumours of change were surfacing then. Dont think personally that SDS has done much wrong to lose his No1 status though.

Re: The Jockey Thread Never had a single bet today but still watched the Ch-4 races. I thought Ryan Moore was caught Napping in the Temple Stakes, he made up a lot of ground BUT the game was over, hope its not a harsh call as he's a dam fine horseman and i've always been a fan.

I was at York last week and noticed a jockey as he went past me on a horse and thought he looked a bit odd but couldn't figure out why. I checked the racecard and found it was Philip Prince, not a name I am familiar with. I googled the name when I got home and unfortunately just got loads of pages on Prince Philip but then added the word jockey and found a few news articles. The lad was born with one ear and a lopsided jaw and has had to fight a ruling that said he couldn't be a jockey. He had been spotted riding ponies and had 30 winners from 60 rides but the BHA said he couldn't ride due to his hearing disability. This was challenged and he won his case and is now riding. Worked out well for him in the end and good to see a positive outcome for the lad. Hope he goes on to ride a few winners. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8385369.stm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1232164/RACING-No-debut-victory-dream-day-rookie-jockey-Philip-Prince-Wolverhampton.html
Saw a brief tv clip about clip about him a while back but forgot it was this person. Nice to see that he's still getting rides despite what has been seen as a hindrance.

Re: The Jockey Thread I mentioned Michael Kenneally a few posts back who won with his first ride; well he has another ride today in the 2:30 at Leicester. Sophies Beau doesn't look to have much of a chance of winning but has won in the past at 33/1 and 25/1. Not quite down to her last winning mark, but with only 4 wins, where three of them came with 7lb claimers riding it may be worth a look in.

Re: The Jockey Thread frank_spencer.jpg Spencer was back showing all his true colours today at Haydock, he had four good rides but could only manage the opener at great odds of 2/5 So well Done Jamie. Just why do we bother ? What is it they say on Lizard Lick...............?You cant fix stupid, or train it.