International Friendlies > 2010

Re: International Friendlies 3-8 September Are Argentina likely to use their full A squad then? I read that they are more likely to mix things up a bit, as they don't have a competitive game until next June. This period of friendlies is supposedly being used for the new manager to mark his stamp.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: International Friendlies 3-8 September Japan are playing a weaker side than they did on Sat when they did pretty well to beat Paraguay 1-0, it wasn't the best game by all accounts but they did show more attacking intent than they have previously new coach Zaccheroni is not officially in charge yet due to some visa problems, but he is in the stands and is probably having a bit of a say in what goes on on the pitch.. Three others have pulled out with knocks or injury; Yasuhito Endo, Yasuyuki Konno and Yuzi Kurihara to add to the already missing Makoto Hasebe, and Marcus Tulio Tanaka, Daisuke Matsui has gone to Russia at the request of his now loan club FC Tom Tomsk ahead of their upcoming match with Zenit St. Perersburg. It has proved a bit problematic to find too much reliable info regarding a possible line-up but it seems fair to say some fringe players are likely to be playing..Japan have a good squad though and with the new coach heralding an era of more attacking football the squad players will be eager to impress, in ordinary circumstances you prob wouldn't be too keen to bet on Japan but considering the opposition I think it would be rude not to. Guatemala are ranked 119 in the world which is around the likes of Luxembourg and the Faroe Islands, their most recent friendly that might mean something to us was a 5-0 defeat to South Africa before the start of the World Cup, as someone has helpfully already posted the squads are split for their two games, and from what was presumably a first choice side that played SA there is near enough a 50/50 split of these players in both squads..further than that I can't say I can offer any more on what we can expect of them. The tickets are apparently selling well, and obviously Japan are heavy favourites. Japan normally try and have friendlies against good quality sides so this is a bit of a strange one, similar in a way to the one they played last year at about the same time against Togo (a few of us cleaned up on that one!), I don't expect this one to be as one-sided as that though..it's difficult to know how this one will pan out but I don't think Japan will run away with the game, there are probably too many changes for that to be the case and bar the SA match Guatemala rarely get thumped by the looks of things however not knowing their regular team it is difficult to know if the split squads will make a big difference to the way they play..regardless of this there should be a big class difference in evidence, I already bet on Japan to win to nil on paddypower (1.83) but they capped me at a fairly low amount. The -1EH price has come down as expected from 1.66 earlier in the day to what I believe is a best price of 1.57 on bet365, I have also put a small amount on the -2AH at 1.91 at Victor Chandler.

Re: International Friendlies 3-8 September

Guatemala are ranked 119 in the world which is around the likes of Luxembourg and the Faroe Islands, their most recent friendly that might mean something to us was a 5-0 defeat to South Africa before the start of the World Cup, as someone has helpfully already posted the squads are split for their two games, and from what was presumably a first choice side that played SA there is near enough a 50/50 split of these players in both squads..further than that I can't say I can offer any more on what we can expect of them.
If memory serves, I believe the squad that lost 5-0 to RSA was mostly players that they could scrabble together. I don't think it was the full A team.

If memory serves' date=' I believe the squad that lost 5-0 to RSA was mostly players that they could scrabble together. I don't think it was the full A team.[/quote'] Perhaps, virtually all of that team had plenty of caps though and looked like an experienced line-up..

Are Argentina likely to use their full A squad then? I read that they are more likely to mix things up a bit, as they don't have a competitive game until next June. This period of friendlies is supposedly being used for the new manager to mark his stamp.
Argentina definitely with confirmed A team. Spain with A team - Puyol of course, and is not confirmed but they will probably have some other changes in the starting lineup (Villa, Sergio Ramos, Xabi Alonso probably on the bench and will play some minutes later). From Argentina Previews (http://www.argentinapreviews.com) Probable formations : Argentina : Romero - Zanetti, Demichelis, Gabriel Milito, Heinze - Ever Banega, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso - Messi, Higuaín, Tevez Spain : Casillas - Arbeloa, Piqué, Marchena, Capdevilla - Busquets - Jesus Navas, Xabi, Cesc Fabregas, Iniesta - Torres

Re: International Friendlies 3-8 September Poland v Australia - Over 3.5 Goals @ 5.00 Betfair Having watched Australia's last game this one definitely seems too high for me. Though that game ended 0-0, it could just as easily finished 4-4. Australia played a lot more adventurous game under new manager Osieck and whilst a few changes are expected tonight, I still feel this one has a good chance. It is expected that Federici will replace Schwarzer whilst young attack minded players Nathan Burns and Tommy Oar may play a large part of the game. As for Poland, I don't know a great deal about their team, but from all reports, there were also many chances in their previous game.

Re: International Friendlies 3-8 September can't resist the price on Chile.they went up to @3.80.i don't know why,maybe a bookies trap but wich way?:unsureAnyway,we have no young players as they all played today in U21 and old foxes should be tired after pols.i know chile have mixed squad but i expect them to be faster then us.Ukraine didn't loose friendlies yet,i need them to do it today :lol also usualy we win our games at Lviv stadium and Kiev's one is not so lucky,we lost here to Turkey 3-0 last year so :hope Chile to win @3.80 :ok

Re: International Friendlies 3-8 September Stadium in Kiev is half empty. our team: ------Dykan------ Mandzuk---Myhalik---Rakitskiy---Romanchuk Gusev---Tymoschuk---hudobnyak---Konoplyanka ----Devich-----Sheva---- really temted with Chile in play at @4.00,i can be wrong but can't resist price and our team never played with this line up before :eyes:hope

Sport Football (Internationals)
Event Argentina - Spain
Selection Both to score
Strength 10/10
Date 07/09/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.66
Reasoning This should be a spectacular match between two great teams. Both teams will field their best lineups so we'll see players like Messi, Tevez, Zanetti, Torres, Iniesta... In one place. Spain will miss Puyol what is a big blow for their defense. Ramos will take his place and Arbeloa will move to RB position. I expect lots of offensive action, nice moves and goal chances. I only hope that strikers will do their part of the job so this bet can be a winner by the half time. My call is home win with many goals, let's say 3-2.

Poland v Australia - Over 3.5 Goals @ 5.00 Betfair Having watched Australia's last game this one definitely seems too high for me. Though that game ended 0-0, it could just as easily finished 4-4. Australia played a lot more adventurous game under new manager Osieck and whilst a few changes are expected tonight, I still feel this one has a good chance. It is expected that Federici will replace Schwarzer whilst young attack minded players Nathan Burns and Tommy Oar may play a large part of the game. As for Poland, I don't know a great deal about their team, but from all reports, there were also many chances in their previous game.
unlucky, first half 1-2, expected at least a goal in the second half.... :puke:puke:puke

• 4 weeks later...

International friendlies 7th-11th October USA-Poland USA -0,75@1,975 Bet365 Polish national team still in a deep mess. Recently we lost 1-2 vs Australia and 0-3 vs Cameroon and drew 1-1 vs Ukraine. An important factor is that two regular starters Jelen (for., Auxerre) and Boenisch (def., Werder) will miss the game because of injuries and Obraniak (mid., Lille) is questionable. There is a rumour that coach Smuda had to choose replacement from players who have a valid visa to enter USA :rollin so we have names like Salamon (currently US Foggia in italian serie C :$) who will give their first and probably last appearance at this stage. Last time we played against US boys in 2008 at home we were virtually trashed 3-0. Coach Bradley called up palyers like Howard, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Jones, Dempsey, Cherundolo and Altidore so I'm not worried about the quality of host's starting eleven. Odds are already dropping. On Monday I took it at 2,00, currently 1,975 for -0,75 asian.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October About Japan - Argentina, from http://www.argentinapreviews.com Coach Sergio Batista (who is expected to be confirmed soon as the Argentinean NT coach at least until Copa America 2011) didn't confirm the starting lineup yet, but no big surprises are expected and this will be the 4-3-3 for this game : Sergio Romero - Nicolás Burdisso, Martín Demichelis, Milito, Gabriel Heinze - Andrés D'Alessandro, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso - Lionel Messi, Diego Milito, Carlos Tévez.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October

USA-Poland USA -0,75@1,975 Bet365 Polish national team still in a deep mess. Recently we lost 1-2 vs Australia and 0-3 vs Cameroon and drew 1-1 vs Ukraine. An important factor is that two regular starters Jelen (for., Auxerre) and Boenisch (def., Werder) will miss the game because of injuries and Obraniak (mid., Lille) is questionable. There is a rumour that coach Smuda had to choose replacement from players who have a valid visa to enter USA :rollin so we have names like Salamon (currently US Foggia in italian serie C :$) who will give their first and probably last appearance at this stage. Last time we played against US boys in 2008 at home we were virtually trashed 3-0. Coach Bradley called up palyers like Howard, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Jones, Dempsey, Cherundolo and Altidore so I'm not worried about the quality of host's starting eleven. Odds are already dropping. On Monday I took it at 2,00, currently 1,975 for -0,75 asian.
I will take this information to myself and place a bet -1.5 USA 3.10 bet365 and thank you for posting. I don't see how USA can fail to win by at least 2 goals against this Polish team without Ireneusz Jelen. Your info makes me confident. Will take USA -1.5 in a nice 5 fold to.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October ESPN had a chat with US coach Bob Bradley http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5648377/interview-usmnt-coach-bob-bradley A conversation after I read it makes me not less confident of a big win over Poland. Bradley clearly has his sights set on a good start after World cup and he will use a roster of mostly european players as it's crunch time in MLS right now with playoffs and many matches that makes him not to pick Edson Buddle or Landon Donovan. Anyway it all speaks for a quite easy win for USA.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October Japan vs Argentina Argentina @ 1.8 (Bet365) Argentina have a strong squad out in Japan; this is the expected starting X1: Sergio Romero - Nicolás Burdisso, Martín Demichelis, Milito, Gabriel Heinze - Andrés D'Alessandro, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso - Lionel Messi, Diego Milito, Carlos Tévez. They are also a patriotic nation which takes friendlies seriously. This can be seen by the determination they showed in the recent 4-1 win over World Champions Spain, and the pre-World Cup 5-0 win against Canada. Imagine England playing Canada before a World Cup; they would have given up when it was 2-0 or 3-0- not Argentina. Recent friendly wins in Russia and France show that they take friendlies in far flung locations seriously as well. Japan are no mugs but these are good odds when taking the above factors into consideration.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October VIETNAM DNB @ 1.79 Paddypower....stakes 2/10....I think paddypower have got the odds a little bit mixed up on this one...they have India @ 7/5 and Vietnam @ 8/5 wheareas Betfair have the Indians are 3.05 and the Vietnamese at 2.64.I'd be more inclined to go with the betfair take on things. Vietnam are ranked 35 places above India and this is their 4th friendly in a month so they should be used to playing together.India lost their last game at home to Hong Kong 2-0 in a friendly and missed several players for that match.Those players will also miss this one and because it's a friendly and the team from the far east is preparing for the AFF in december and are bringing a strong squad I'm backing them not to lose.....

Japan vs Argentina Argentina @ 1.8 (Bet365) Argentina have a strong squad out in Japan; this is the expected starting X1: Sergio Romero - Nicolás Burdisso, Martín Demichelis, Milito, Gabriel Heinze - Andrés D'Alessandro, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso - Lionel Messi, Diego Milito, Carlos Tévez. They are also a patriotic nation which takes friendlies seriously. This can be seen by the determination they showed in the recent 4-1 win over World Champions Spain, and the pre-World Cup 5-0 win against Canada. Imagine England playing Canada before a World Cup; they would have given up when it was 2-0 or 3-0- not Argentina. Recent friendly wins in Russia and France show that they take friendlies in far flung locations seriously as well. Japan are no mugs but these are good odds when taking the above factors into consideration.
Final score: Japan 1 Argentina 0 :@ I still think this was a value pick considering Argentina's record in friendlies, but they never really got going today. Some of their passing was truly awful. Japan look very good, they seem to be continuing from where they left off in the World Cup, albeit with a different coach.

VIETNAM DNB @ 1.79 Paddypower....stakes 2/10....I think paddypower have got the odds a little bit mixed up on this one...they have India @ 7/5 and Vietnam @ 8/5 wheareas Betfair have the Indians are 3.05 and the Vietnamese at 2.64.I'd be more inclined to go with the betfair take on things. Vietnam are ranked 35 places above India and this is their 4th friendly in a month so they should be used to playing together.India lost their last game at home to Hong Kong 2-0 in a friendly and missed several players for that match.Those players will also miss this one and because it's a friendly and the team from the far east is preparing for the AFF in december and are bringing a strong squad I'm backing them not to lose.....
3-1,bet lost....the price on India went out to 3.6 on betfair before ko...so I ended up going against my rule of betting on the outsider in a friendly even though India were favourite on paddy Power....

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October Draw in Ireland v Russia @ 3.20 Pinnacle Ireland has 6 points in the bag which they won against Andorra and Armenia. Russia on the other hand won in Andorra but suffered home defeat vs Slovakia what makes this match extremely important for them. Quality wise visitors are the better team but Ireland plays at home and surely can hold the score tight. Cant separate these two teams, think that it will be a low scoring match but since the odds are too low i'll go for a straight draw. GL.

Draw in Ireland v Russia @ 3.20 Pinnacle Ireland has 6 points in the bag which they won against Andorra and Armenia. Russia on the other hand won in Andorra but suffered home defeat vs Slovakia what makes this match extremely important for them. Quality wise visitors are the better team but Ireland plays at home and surely can hold the score tight. Cant separate these two teams, think that it will be a low scoring match but since the odds are too low i'll go for a straight draw. GL.
Not a friendly I'm afraid.....

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October New Zealand V Honduras UNDER 2.5 goals @ 1.75 - Betfair. This price should be a lot lower across the board imo. BET365 have it at 1.66, which is quite a bit generous. Both sides are known for their determined organised defensive capabilities. This is a bit of a homecoming for New Zealand following their World Cup exploits, with all the squad that travelled to South Africa set to participate. Honduras have chosen not to include any European based players in their travelling party. Instead opting for completely domestic based players. I think this will be a very tight contest, possible settled by one goal, although 0-0 wouldn't surprise me as neither side are known for their abilities in front of goal. Correct Score 0-0 @ 9 - BET365. Half time Correct Score 0-0 @ 2.62 - BET365.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October I have some good reasons to back USA here: + Clearly better team, more experienced + More ambitious than our guys, Polish players are lazy and without big ambitions - they were suckers against Ukraine as Poland should win, but lost goal in last minutes of the game just because Poland was too lazy to press Ukraine's players, but after game our players were satisfied. The same case was three days later against Australia (Aussies were very relaxed and played just for fun without big determination) - we lost it 1:2, but played not so bad in offense so everybody were happy after a defeat! + Poland usually struggle against USA, of course with one exception - in 2002 during the World Cup we surprisingly won against USA 3:1. After this game we lost 0:1 at home in 2004, got a very lucky 1:1 draw away from home few months later, then in 2006 another 0:1 defeat, this time on neutral ground and in 2008 heavy defeat 0:3 at home. H2H clearly for Hosts! + I wanted to Smuda be our new coach, but it appeared that he don't know how to do this job well. He was good club manager, but in National Team he is useless. He lost the edge in my opinion. Too bad for Poland. + Poland's defence - Aussies had two half chances to score and scored twice. Ukraine pushed just a little and scored equalizer, Cameroon and Spain scored many goals with ease. + some missings in Polish team, some players like Jelen are still play much better in club than in NT. - departure of Donovan - lack of classy strikers - Chicago is the city where many Polish people live so home advantage is not so big as someone may think Overall, USA to win is a good option in my opinion.

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October Usa win We (Poland) prepare for EURO 2012, so why we play vs USA which wont be there and dont play similary like Europan nations Our team in USA is team of randoms players without good coordination For me clear win USA

Re: International friendlies 7th-11th October Brazil v Ukarine -1AH @1.725 bet365 Sorry i haven't got much time but we have no chance against Brazil.We were outplayed by Poland and didn't try hard against Canada.Sheva picked up an injury in last game and may not play 2night.We will play with experemental sqaud again and and may try some new players.Brazil will play some good and new players too but it still will be too much for us. GL :ok

Friendly International

Event Kuwait - Vietnam
Selection Kuwait
Strength 10/10
Date 12/10/2010
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 1.57
Reasoning Kuwait has more value than Vietnam. Vietnam is preparing his participation on Asia Cup and they will make many experiences on this friendly game. Kuwait at home use to be a strong Arabian team and Vietnam should suffer many problems in this game. I don't believe that Vietnam will be capable to avoid a defeat in this game as they will also have to face the heat of Kuwait. The odd is not very good but it seems enough to risk a home win in this friendly game at Kuwait.