Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - BMW Championship 8-12 Sep

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Awful results last night but I'm going to continue taking 3 of the players I opposed yesterday on, because their form is not good. 4pts I.Poulter to lead T.Jaidee after 9 holes 19/20 Paddy Power Match tees off at 14.10 GMT. Ryo Ishikawa is another to add to the list who've given their matches to Thongchai Jaidee this week. The young Japanese player never showed up and +6 through a dozen holes will never get any job done at this level, or many below it. Jaidee was only level par through 9 holes yesterday but was 4up at the time, and that level par was despite birdieing the opening two holes. Ian Poulter is playing very well this week and has been under par for these opening 9 holes and although the to and fro holes are on the back 9, I expect Poults to grab this match by the scruff of the neck and lead from pillar to post in this one which will include being ahead at the turn. 3pts O.Wilson to beat S.Garcia 6/5 Skybet Match tees off at 14.22 GMT. Oliver Wilson played some lovely golf in beating Luke Donald, who was in hot form, yesterday. He beat him at the 20th hole but he would've beaten him in regulation but for an amazing putt by Donald at the 18th. Importantly in this match, Wilson is putting well. That's something Sergio isn't doing, and rarely does. Wilson's solid enough tee to green to give himself enough chances in this one and although up to the green Sergio's fine, his putting is always a concern. Wilson's played the better golf this week regardless of putting and I believe he'll see off Sergio in this match. 3pts C.Villegas to beat R.Goosen 10/11 Skybet Match tees off at 14.34 GMT. Camilo Villegas has played solid golf all week and his pecker should be up having seen off the defending champion in the 2nd round. Ogilvy is always hard to beat so that was a good win. Goosen has laboured to 3 wins. Els should have seen him off by a comfortable margin and had Watney's putter been working even at average level he'd have won too but he missed way too many reasonably easy putts. Villegas is a tough player to beat. Long off the tee, not always straight but has that Mickelson like imagination when he's in trouble but he's a good putter. Unless Goosen's game suddenly improves remarkably then I expect the Colombian to set up a semi final showdown with Cink or Casey.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb S.Garcia to beat I.Poulter, 5pts @ 6/5 Bet365 Par golf could win this semi after a long hard week. Sergio is playing better and better whilst Poults is looking a little tired at the minute. I'm also not certain that the Englishman has faced any real challenges so far whilst Sergio has beaten Tim Clark and Oli Wilson in his last 2 matches. Poulter only picked up 1 birdie today against the Spaniards 4 birdies so, at odds against, I'll take El Nino to prevail here.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb

Heath Slocum @ 21 ew I took the early 22s but would still be happy with 20s as I marked him out as perfect for this course statistically and having finished 3rd here last year, it proves that he likes the course. Having won a fedex cup event last year (Stricker, Woods, Els and Harrington finished tied 2nd so he can clearly win an event) he doesnt really have to be here but he wants to so that bodes well! He has started the season with 3 solid starts - 27th, 33rd, 35th - and his stats live up to expectations. Was in the top 7 for both driving accuracy and proximity to hole in 06, 07, 08 and 09 - not too bad. Is currently 3rd for DA and only 60th for proximity but that wont put me off. Perfect game for here, can win and while KJ Choi may be the bookies favourite, Slocum is the favourite for me. Joe Durant @ 91 ew A very generous price here considering others are only offering 50s. Only played one tournament this season but made the cut which is encouraging. Has played here in the last two years finished 12th in 08 and 28th in 09 so he is pretty comfortable here. His stats are also pretty aligned to success here and in his one tournament this year he hit over 80% of fairways. Fantastic. Last year he hit the most fairways on tour and finished 6th for proximity. Adding in the Hawaii factor, has only missed one cut since 2001 at the Sony Open showing he can play these conditions and as a veteran who knows how to win, at this price it'd be rude not to!
Despite all the focus being on the WGC Matchplay, this hasn't slipped under my radar. Durant is currently 2 clear of the field and Slocum is T7. With just a few holes remaining today and the final round tomorrow, you're in with a serious shout here. I'll be cheering Durant on for you mate. Cracking bet fella:clap

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb It didn't go under my radar! I had 4 outrights having picked a few a names from this thread touted for earlier tournaments.... Durant being one of them! I think you tipped him for the Bob Hope Classic? Was Glad to see hornet tip him again and even happier to see him leading after 2 rounds! He's having a poor 3rd round currently Level par thru 16 and tied leader but :hope he can pull it off tomorrow! Great work Hornet, regardless of the result!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb As they walk to the 20th hole in the matchplay, i'm kinda hoping Casey wins now, only because Poulters odds should be better against him than Villegas. Poulter has been off the course hours now and these 2 are still playing. Add that to Poulters confident talk and i'll be taking him tomorrow whoever he plays, like I say, hopefully Casey, because his odds should be a lot better.

Sport Golf
Event World Match Play outright
Selection Ian Poulter
Strength 10/10
Date 21/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.06 (Back)
Reasoning I like getting over evens on Poulter for the final. Casey and Villegas had a really tough match yesterday, and it isn't over yet. Coming out early today for maybe 1 hole or maybe a lot more, then having to play 36 holes in the final will be tough. Poulter was pretty strong yesterday, and I think he should be favourite over either of the other guys in the final.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb I am all in on Casey so eagerly await the outcome,i know a lot of people think Poulter is a shooty in shot in the Final,but if Casey does go through he will be fresh from the 5&4 victories in his first "Four Matches"! He is a far more talented golfer and a Gentleman,I once met him at the Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles,he spent a good 5 minutes talking to myself& my daughter,whereas at Loch Lomond Poulter greeted the kids with a scoul and a begrudged autograph,the man "if you could call him that!" is a total Nugget imho! Anyway good luck all,and p.s The poster that tipped up Mcgowan to turn over Stricker in the first round Well done,It was a loud chance well taken!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Cheers for the support guys, fingers crossed Joe pulls it out the bag for us. Hopefully experience should count for something here :hope As for todays matches in Arizona, Casey is a deserved favourite but it's not a match I'd like to be looking at as they're both proven match players and over 36 holes a lot can happen. I'll be waiting to see the odds on Villegas to beat Sergio as that should be a lot more clear cut with Sergio playing really poorly yesterday and quite a shock to get through to this stage. Villegas @ evens looks a very tasty price. GL:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb I have beefed up my stake on Casey@ 6/4,he was 2 down at that stage,needless to say my backside was twitching when Poulter went 4 up,I thought about the 11/4 on offer but like i say i am all in on casey,it will be tight but I still think all things being equal Casey is the Class Act that should prevail!:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Good to see Villegas easing through as I thought but it seems that Durant has made a really pathetic attempt at winning this and with two holes left has all but lost it. Show that to the kids as a way not to win a golf tournament :wall

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Obviously doesn't handle the pressure well! Durants worst round by a way. A -1 wouldve taken him to a playoff a -2 would've won it... he couldn't even manage par!! Still not bad for a 90/1 EW.... I must start trading at the end of round 3... i've had Bubba Watson leading after 3 @ 80's and now Durant leading after 3 @ 90's. Instead of biting my nails watching the 'live' leaderboard, I shouldve been locking in profit on betfair. Still, I wouldn't know where to start anyway, so c'est la vie!!

Hi all, remember this tournament stars tomorrow wednesday so make sure ya get your money on in time. Three picks this week no tiger or Phil so wide open as regards possible winners. Ross Fisher e/w @30 to 1 Fisher in good form going into this tournament, he has quite a tough draw to come through but at this big price i like the look of him, he's a very good putter sepecially under pressure, which is crucial for match play. Paul Casey e/w @ 22 to 1:clap He was runner-up here last year and has won 10 matches in last three Match Play, he is a former World Matchplay champion so should revel in this week’s format. He also spent the winter practising in this area so he should feel comfortable here. Padraig Harrington @ 20 to 1 Rory Mc Ilroy is after passing him out in the world standings and as Ireland no.1. This won't go down well with him, He is a notoriously slow starter to the season but has started to show glimpses of his old form recently, He is a real dogged competitor with a never say die attitude so very confident he'll go close. Best of luck all.:hope
Well played casey over the week just fell at the last hurdle, fair play to poulter he played some golf!!!Still got e/w money back so still in profit

1pt ew R.Fisher to win Accenture Matchplay 33/1 Bet365 (1/4 1' date=2,3,4) Ross Fisher came up trumps for me in the Volvo matchplay on the European circuit at the end of last year and having finished 4th in this last year he has all the credentials required to take this down. He's clearly a fearless matchplay opponent who has now performed on the biggest stages having had those two tournaments last year as well as leading the Open Championship deep into Sunday last year. I really like his game. Straight off the tee, deadly with his irons and as good a putter as there is out there. This is a devilish bracket he's landed himself in but he is in the slightly easier half of it. I was going to back Ian Poulter ouright but his half of that quarter is seriously hard to pick a winner. Fisher is seeded 5 and the 1st seed Stricker and 4th seed Karlsson aren't the worst opponents. If Fisher can make it through to the quarter finals he's going to play a hard opponent but at least he'll be 8/1 over 18 holes. This guy has all the quality to win this and I think 33/1 is a very acceptable price for the Englishman.
:eyes :wall:wall:wall:wall. Good work with Casey, TFM :clap.

Re: Golf: Waste management phoenix open Snediker e/w 50 to 1 He leads the TOUR in putting and has been inside the top 20 in all of his starts this season. Although Sneds missed the cut here last year, he has two top 25s, including a tie for ninth in 2008.If he keeps up the putting he'll go close because this track is all about your putting. Kevin Na e/w 33 to1 He is one of the only players to have some course form,(Xcept for JB Holmes who's record is exceptional but going to take Na instead of him beacuse i find Holmes can be a very hit or miss player) he has three finishes of 4th or better in 5 starts, He's ninth in putting this year and has two top 10s, He did blow his chances last week against rory mc ilroy but hopefully that result doesn't effect his performance this week. Sim e/w 70 to 1 Sim lives in the Scottsdale area even though he is an Aussie and may know this course quite well. After cleaning up on the Nationwide Tour last season he has made a promising start on the PGA Tour this year, finishing 2nd in the Farmers Insurance Open. A bit more of that and he could walk away with his maiden victory. Ill post up odds later, tend to pick my players before looking at odds just so it doesn't interfere with my decision, i'd expect all these to be quite big tough.:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Really enjoying the golf and this thread so far this year. As with most threads I've come across on here, the write ups are well written and researched and extremely knowledgeable :clap Not to mention the success rate!! Have we had the winner or an EW place of every tourney in here and the European this year?? If not, then only 1 or 2 missed? Anyway keep it up guys and thanks for the tips that have brought me profit!! :nana

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Waste Management Phoenix Open Has there ever been a less inspiring name for a tournament? JB Holmes e/w @ 22/1 Holmes record in this tournament is win, mc, win, mc, so if he keeps the sequence going it'll be another win. Not suprisingly he names this as his favourite tour stop and seems to thrive on the raucous atmosphere, crucially for a sometimes dodgy putter he likes the greens. He's also in cracking form with three tournaments played his figures are T27, T3, T2.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb The websites are definitely getting their act together with some interesting write ups - found this on the PGA Tour, will be interested to see how they fare... http://www.pgatour.com/2010/tournaments/r003/02/22/power.rankings.wastemanagement/index.html Will definitely take a closer look at his thoughts ..

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb This is a very high quality field so I was hoping for some good prices...sadly some of the guys I expected better prices on such as (two of them above) Holmes, Na and Gay. Due to this I'm going to go for some classy players at bigger prices and see if they can come good for me this week. David Toms @ 67 ew If you want to find someone who likes the course then David Toms has got to be right up there. Has started the year solidly if not spectacularly and in his 9 rounds has hit a worst round of 70 so that's encouraging. Lost to semi finalist Sergio last week and is too experienced to get down on himself for that. In his last 8 visits here he has 7 top 19 finishes including 3 top 8s in the last 5 years. He may not have won since 2006 but he has 12 wins including a major win so wont be afraid should he get into contention. With 7 top 10s in 2009, he must feel like he's due a win and on a course he likes at a decent price I'll give him a try. Rory Sabbatini @ 67 ew I think the people in this thread know that Rory is a quality player, but he's very hard player to pick. He started the season with a 2nd and has been getting progressively further down the field; however, in his first round loss to Karlsson last week, he hit a 5under so he's clearly not playing too badly. A University of Arizona grad, he should know the conditions and get the support of the rowdy crowd...and even if he doesnt, he's arrogant enough to enjoy the conditions either way. His record here is good with a T12 last year and having played here the last 10 years, it shows he likes playing back in Arizona. A couple of 64s and 65s scattered in there, along with numerous other rounds in the 60s shows he knows how to play the course. Now it's time for the 5 time winner to put four rounds together in his adopted state. Ryan Palmer @ 101 ew I know I've missed the good prices on him because he's been tipped up elsewhere but I feel 100s is still a fair price. The guy has decent course form here with a 2nd here in 2006 (was only 2 shots behind JB with 4 holes to go before a 5 shot swing at the 15th) and he sandwiched 67-68 in between two shoddy rounds here last year when making the cut. A 3 figure price on a guy who's won this season and another tournament within the last 18months is very decent. Kevin Stadler @ 126 ew Stadler has been playing some great stuff this year with 3 top 18 finishes as well as a 10th and 9th in his last two. His only poor start was due to a horror first round of 77 but he even followed that up with a 66. He doesnt really have a record here but when he played here in 2008, he was 3shots off the lead at the half way stage before WDing after 3 rounds. Growing up in Nevada, he clearly shouldnt have problems playing in the desert. Having 9 professional wins, but none on the PGA Tour, he should hopefully be inspired by a fellow son of a golfing legend, Bill Haas, breaking his duck just within the past few weeks. Ricky Barnes @ 151 ew Ricky Barnes, a University of Arizona grad and Arizona resident, has started the season pretty well with 62-33-22-9 figures before a MC at Pebble Beach, however, all that has done has inflated his price at what is most likely his home tournament. He has only played here once before way back in 2004, however, it showed his liking for the atmosphere and the course as he finished in T14. Add into that that he was sitting 4th after 3 rounds and he was second best on the all important par 4s. The price is just a bit too big for the factors in his favour. GL:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Lucy Locket's selections from GOLF ALOT.... PGA TOUR: WASTE MANAGEMENT PHOENIX OPEN Weather and course conditions have had a major influence on the outcome of this event over the last few years. When the weather has been windy and the course/greens firm and dry players such as Justin Leonard have tended to come to the fore whereas in more benign conditions long hitters and accurate iron players such as JB Holmes and Robert Allenby have tended to excel. In a traditionally low scoring event good putters tend to do well. OUTRIGHT: J B Holmes 1pt win or place 25/1 Big hitting Holmes is already a double winner in this event in 2006 and 2008 but there is every reason to expect him to complete the treble this week. He has recently made changes to his putting style, previously a big weakness, to such effect that he has finished inside the top three in his last two outings so he arrives here with his confidence high. OUTRIGHT: Michael Sim 1pt win or place 80/1 Although Sim is now officially Australian he does in fact reside in the Scottsdale area and may know this course quite well. After cleaning up on the Nationwide Tour last season he has made a promising start on the PGA Tour this year, finishing runner up to Ben Crane in the Farmers Insurance Open. He is more than capable of going one better this week on a local track. OUTRIGHT: Bryce Molder 1pt win or place 125/1 Molder has no course form to speak of here but intriguingly did well in The Frys.com Open at the tail end of the 2009 season which was played on a similar desert style course in the Phoenix area. Having shown a steady improvement in his form over the past few weeks on Tour he looks ready to step up a gear and challenge strongly this week.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Accenture World Matchplay 17-21 Feb Not sure what to make of Lucy's write up this week....taking a bit of a punt, guessing that Sim knows the course - and that he can step up and beat a much stronger field that he faced at the Farmers Insurance Open. It isn't that he cant put up a decent showing, just that there are more factors against him this week I think. I'd rather sell his finishing position on the spreads. Cant have Molder in a field this srong, especially with so many contenders that have proven track records. JB has potential - I like him, I dont think he's a bottler, but I'm not convinced about the price. On the face of it, odds of 25 to 1 on a player who has won this tournament twice in 4 years would look pretty appetising. His record suggests that he'll win more often than once in every 24 attempts. But....he doesnt really strike me as someone who's game merits being one of the favourites....I am yet to make my mind up whether to play him this week. I think Hornet's preview is as solid as normal - some interesting and well researched thoughts.

Ryan Palmer @ 101 ew I know I've missed the good prices on him because he's been tipped up elsewhere but I feel 100s is still a fair price. The guy has decent course form here with a 2nd here in 2006 (was only 2 shots behind JB with 4 holes to go before a 5 shot swing at the 15th) and he sandwiched 67-68 in between two shoddy rounds here last year when making the cut. A 3 figure price on a guy who's won this season and another tournament within the last 18months is very decent.
Best I could find was 66/1!!