Uefa Champions League 15/16 September

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September

Does anyone know what the Arsenal stand-in keeper is like? Vito Mannone is set to make his CL debut tonight and hasn't played too many first team games yet.
I'm pretty sure it was a pre season friendly I saw him play in. Can't for the life of me remember who it was against. But he was very shakey, I don't think he conceded but he didn't inspire confidence at all

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Here we are again! Had a pretty good evening last night as did many of us. It would have really kicked off for me if Juve had held their 1-0 lead. I feel a little bit drained from the anticipation I had in last nights games so I am taking it a little easier tonight. Im on Liverpool -2.5 for obvious reasons really. I hope Liverpool will come out with a high tempo looking to well and truly settle this game. The handicap is a little high, but I'll take it medium stakes. With this in mind I am also on Gerrard anytime scorer at 10/11. I have an incling that Inter barca will go under 2.5 but as of yet I have not backed it.

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Inter - Barcelona: Under 2.5 goals @ 1.90 (Bet365) 10/10 Very difficult to pick a 1X2 result, although I think the draw has a good chance. The fact is that both teams can defeat anybody, anywhere, anytime. I believe that both will have respect for the goal scoring potential of their opponents and not open the game up. Both teams can control the ball and they will try to create chances by passing the ball into the opponents area. However, I view both defenses as solid and I just can't see too many goals between these two top level teams who might just settle for a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Lyon - Fiorentina: Over 2.5 goals @ 2.10 (Betfair) 10/10 These are good odds for over 2.5 goals, I think. Lyon indicated in its qualifying matches against Anderlecht that they can score. They have the speed and quality to rip many opponents apart. Equally, Fiorentina went into Sporting Lisbon, in their qualifiers, and played to a 2-2 draw indicating that it can also score. I'm not convinced that Fiorentina will play for the draw and try to necessarily keep it tight. Both teams need to keep in mind that their group includes Liverpool and maximum points are always necessary. Hence, I think we will see a bit of offense from both in an attempt to win. I think we may see a 2-1 or 2-2 result here. Standard Liege - Arsenal: Under 2.5 goals @ 1.98 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Liege hasn't been playing particularly well and has important missing players. Arsenal are better on paper, but also have important players missing. Arsenal comes into this game after two consecutive defeats in the Premier and I think they will approach this game very clinically and try to get a minimum 0-1 win, which they can get, I think, from a Liege team which isn't playing well and is missing key players. I think the injuries on both sides will compromise the teams' goal scoring potential.

Does anyone know what the Arsenal stand-in keeper is like? Vito Mannone is set to make his CL debut tonight and hasn't played too many first team games yet.
Dodgy would be an understatement. He's a good shot stopper but he makes some very odd decisions, like coming out of his goal line randomly and in the Emirates cup he decided to punch what were relatively routine shots. The fact the most Arsenal fans would prefer the young Pole Szezchny(who is 17 I think, but will be fantastic by the way) says it all. I have my fingers crossed for young Mannone though, hope he does well, even if I my Over 2.5 is largely down to his presence in goal :lol

Apparently Debrecen are missing Rudolf (striker) and Varga (midfielder)' date=' both important I'm told. They are 5th in the league and have won their last 8 in all competitions. Hope that helps :ok[/quote'] Thanks, Jimmah. ESPN reports: ''Debrecen are without Tibor Dombi and Jozsef Varga, who are both suspended from this leg. They also have doubts over Hungary internationals, midfielder Zoltan Szelesi, and striker Gergely Rudolf, who are struggling with knee injuries. Goalkeeper Djordje Pantic suffered a head injury in the opening minutes of Friday's 1-0 away to Paksi SE, and could be replaced by Vukasin Poleksic.'' Not sure if anyone actually cares :)

I disagree, I watched the Motherwell game and thought Motherwell more than matched the Gers for a good bit of the game, Motherwell also missed a late penalty to take all three points. I certainly disagree that Rangers will be trying harder to get three points away to Stuttgart than in an away domestic game....the SPL is Rangers and Celtics bread and butter, winning that is their main objective, it can be so tight in the championship that every point counts and Walter Smith knows this. I dunno how the Stuttgart - Rangers game will go though.
Afternoon all. My first ever post goes on agreeing with this from Scotlandspunter. I also watched the Motherwell game and the Gers were pretty grim to be honest. Very little imagination and not much driving force from midfield. The hobbling Weir is 347 next month and could get badly caught out here. I certainly expect him to have a torrid time and he'll be fairly pivotal if, as expected, Rangers are 4-5-1. My default position is to back against Rangers wherever possible because I'm not exactly a fan of theirs, but leaving my dislike aside I still think they're a good bet to lose. I also fancy Lyon very much. They're finally smelling the coffee now with some of their signings and I expect a statement from them tonight. They're 33-1 to win the whole tournament and I think that will look value at 10pm. Finally I'd like to thank those of you who steered me away from Juventus last night on this thread. I had them as bankers until I checked out what some were saying on here and subsequently dropped them from all my bets, turning a potential Night Of Shame into more or less break-even for me. Wasn't 10,000 euros at stake, unfortunately. ;)

I've just found out Dan Petrescu is their manager too' date=' so we're on a roll now :tongue2[/quote'] Dan Petrescu is manager of Unirea not Debrecen. And since I am from Romania I will give some information on Unirea. They were the biggest surprise in Romanian football in over 50 years (winning the league last year). They have a squad made of very cheap players but very ambitious team as a whole. Last year they were knocked out of the UEFA cup by Hamburg (not easily though). They defend well, and go on counter. They have a very good manager in Dan Petrescu who knows how to motivate them. But... coming to Seville and getting anything from there is very hard to believe unless the spanish team will underestimate them. Anyway expect a spirited performance from Unirea (at least I will) but Sevilla is to big for them.

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Liverpool -1 Everyone knows Liverpool's record in this competition and how much of a fortress Anfield is for them, whoever they are playing. Debrecen are on a good run at the moment but, although they are a good domestic side, they are yet to prove anything on the bigger European stage against the big name sides and players. Liverpool should start with Torres, Gerrard, Benayoun etc. and will therefore have a lot of attacking opions as usual and alot of runners from midfield. They should be ok defence-wise tonight too with probably only the odd half chance to deal with such will be Liverpool's expected dominance in midfield. Looking for Liverpool to be in a clinical, ruthless mood tonight and record a comfortable win for the 3 points. 5pts @ 1/2 - Coral

Afternoon all. My first ever post goes on agreeing with this from Scotlandspunter. I also watched the Motherwell game and the Gers were pretty grim to be honest. Very little imagination and not much driving force from midfield. The hobbling Weir is 347 next month and could get badly caught out here. I certainly expect him to have a torrid time and he'll be fairly pivotal if' date= as expected, Rangers are 4-5-1. My default position is to back against Rangers wherever possible because I'm not exactly a fan of theirs, but leaving my dislike aside I still think they're a good bet to lose. I also fancy Lyon very much. They're finally smelling the coffee now with some of their signings and I expect a statement from them tonight. They're 33-1 to win the whole tournament and I think that will look value at 10pm. Finally I'd like to thank those of you who steered me away from Juventus last night on this thread. I had them as bankers until I checked out what some were saying on here and subsequently dropped them from all my bets, turning a potential Night Of Shame into more or less break-even for me. Wasn't 10,000 euros at stake, unfortunately. ;)
:rollin:rollin I think Weir is actually out, will do a bit of research shortly but saw headlines in the paper when i was out there ' Weir crock shock for Gers'. While Rangers are a pretty limited side, they will play 4-5-1 and be hard to break down and could frustrate Stuttgart who have had a poor start to the season. I agree with the earlier poster who said Hleb could be the difference between Stuttgart winning or drawing this. Last I checked the odds for a home win were around about 1.61 which just isn't worth it. This game will suit Rangers in that they don't have to try and create much but can just sit in be physical and try and knock Stuttgart out of their stride. They do seem to get the best out of what they have. Unless Stuttgart's odds have risen from the last time I checked I don't see much value in the home win here.

Im on Liverpool -2.5 for obvious reasons really. I hope Liverpool will come out with a high tempo looking to well and truly settle this game. The handicap is a little high, but I'll take it medium stakes.
Im not sure who Liverpool are sticking out on the Field here though..That could be the only stumbling block. Full team could be out for a stretch, and run around to get ready for the West HAm game at the weekend. Or Rafa might leave out Gerrard, Torres and a few others for this game. IF Liverpool have a full team out, then its not going to be difficult racking up 5 goals is it, and the -1, -2, -3 goals are probo all good calls.. All hinges on whos in the starting line up.

Im not sure who Liverpool are sticking out on the Field here though..That could be the only stumbling block. Full team could be out for a stretch' date=' and run around to get ready for the West HAm game at the weekend. Or Rafa might leave out Gerrard, Torres and a few others for this game. IF Liverpool have a full team out, then its not going to be difficult racking up 5 goals is it, and the -1, -2, -3 goals are probo all good calls.. All hinges on whos in the starting line up.[/quote'] Yeah, I am not looking at it as a nail on - but the big boys should start at least and hopefully grab 1 or 2 before going off and then letting the rest finish the job. If it seems as though I am trying to write the perfect script for tonights match, that's because I am.

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Stuttgart - Rangers: Under 2.5 goals @ 2.04 (Ladbrokes) Rangers will most likely play very defensive and be hard to break down in this match. In Rangers last 5 Euro away games only 1 has been over 2.5 (Kaunas won 2-1) so I expect a low scoring game, 0-0 or 1-0 either way. Also half time result - Draw (2.3 @ Bet365) looks a good shout.

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Exclusive: Davie Weir injury dents Rangers' Champions League preparations Sep 16 2009 By Keith Jackson LEE McCULLOCH was last night placed on standby to play as a stop-gap centre half in the Champions League as fears grew that Davie Weir will not be fit to face Stuttgart. Record Sport can reveal Weir is a major doubt ahead of tonight's Group G opener in Germany after damaging an ankle in Saturday's 0-0 draw at Motherwell. Ibrox boss Walter Smith will give the 39-year-old until lunchtime before deciding whether or not he can be patched up and thrown out to face the Bundesliga big guns at the Mercedez Benz Arena. Weir didn't train last night and stood alongside Smith as the rest of the players were put through their paces. The manager admitted he fears the veteran might not shake off the injury in time and placed McCulloch on red alert to take over as Madjid Bougherra's side-kick in the centre of defence. Smith said: "Davie is a major concern now. He suffered the injury on Saturday and although a scan showed there is no lasting damage he is struggling with heavy bruising. "It's causing him a fair bit of discomfort and it's a case of whether or not he feels able to get through the match. Right now I'd have to say he is doubtful but we hope he makes it because he is such an important player. "If he is unable to play then Lee McCulloch will come in as his replacement." Smith also hinted yesterday that Kevin Thomson is set for a return despite having played only 12 minutes of top-team football in almost 10 months since injuring his left knee. If Weir is fit, Thomson is likely to partner McCulloch and Pedro Mendes at the heart of a five-man midfield. But if McCulloch drops into the centre of defence then the Rangers manager might be forced into a rethink that would see Steve Davis moved from the right flank into a more central midfield slot. Smith may also then adopt a more aggressive approach, possibly deploying Steven Naismith and Nacho Novo on either flank in an attacking 4-3-3 formation. The boss said: "Kevin comes into my plans. I know he's only had 12 minutes of football but he's got to start playing sometime." http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/09/16/exclusive-davie-weir-injury-dents-rangers-champions-league-preparations-86908-21676811/

Thanks for your opinion mate....always like to hear the opinion of the fans on teams involved in my bets. I dont really know too much about Standard either, I was impressed with them last season but as you say few changes have been made to that team. I think Liverpool will win tomorow, so if Arsenal do win all 4 English teams will have got off to a winning campaign, wonder what odds you would have got on that :)
I'm a bit of a Standard fan. They have a good side and where really looking forward to this CL adventure. They suprised everyone last year in europe and they will play good again. The only problem is Defour who's missin! He's a true leader and he fire's up the squad. Now Defour is injured Decamargo will be the Captain, but he doesn't have the gift of getting his teammates fired up as defour does. Last year he missed 1 european match and Standard was knocked out of europe because of a bad result in Portugal. Defour is an exeptional player and Standard will miss him, that's for sure. They can't replace him in the midfield and a lot depends on the line up. I believe DeCamargo and Dalmat will be fit to start this match. If they are Standard still stands a chance I think. If not the chances are high NIcaise will play central midfield and he's really a poor player! He can't play football and the only thing he's good at is making awfull faults... Beware of: If you saw Standard play last year you will know players as: Jovanovic, Mbokani, Dalmat. They're all good players and they where waiting to play in this champions league. I think they won't dissapoint this campaign, but the player I want to see is Carcela. He's really gold!! a beautifull player. A small player with a great cross and a good (distance)shot He is the replacer for Jova when he leaves Standard. I thought he wouldn't be able of become a regular first team player or substituting Jova already, but in Belgium he's doing good. Jova plays as second striker and Carcela plays on the left midfield. If Carcela can play as he does in Belgium he can be a danger for Arsenal, but the question is how will he play at a higher level and at such a night (world team against, a lot of fans,...) 1 thing is for sure, Sclessin will be packed and all fans will give a warm welcome to their squad!! :drums

Stuttgart - Rangers: Under 2.5 goals @ 2.04 (Ladbrokes) Rangers will most likely play very defensive and be hard to break down in this match. In Rangers last 5 Euro away games only 1 has been over 2.5 (Kaunas won 2-1) so I expect a low scoring game, 0-0 or 1-0 either way. Also half time result - Draw (2.3 @ Bet365) looks a good shout.
You've made a mistake here mate. The 2.04 is for over 2.5 goals. The price for unders on Ladbrokes is 1.84. Thought it looked too good to be true, best price for unders in this game is 1.95 on Betfair. http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/football/champions-league/group-stage/group-g/round-1/vfb-stuttgart-v-rangers/over-under/

Exclusive: Davie Weir injury dents Rangers' Champions League preparations
Surely they'd give him a pain killing injection and let him get on with it, with that kind of injury? I hate it when players are rated as doubtful. 9 times out of 10 they usually start. The news on Weir ranges from "major doubt" to "slightly doubtful" :lol

I'm a bit of a Standard fan. They have a good side and where really looking forward to this CL adventure. They suprised everyone last year in europe and they will play good again. The only problem is Defour who's missin! He's a true leader and he fire's up the squad. Now Defour is injured Decamargo will be the Captain, but he doesn't have the gift of getting his teammates fired up as defour does. Last year he missed 1 european match and Standard was knocked out of europe because of a bad result in Portugal. Defour is an exeptional player and Standard will miss him, that's for sure. They can't replace him in the midfield and a lot depends on the line up. I believe DeCamargo and Dalmat will be fit to start this match. If they are Standard still stands a chance I think. If not the chances are high NIcaise will play central midfield and he's really a poor player! He can't play football and the only thing he's good at is making awfull faults... Beware of: If you saw Standard play last year you will know players as: Jovanovic, Mbokani, Dalmat. They're all good players and they where waiting to play in this champions league. I think they won't dissapoint this campaign, but the player I want to see is Carcela. He's really gold!! a beautifull player. A small player with a great cross and a good (distance)shot He is the replacer for Jova when he leaves Standard. I thought he wouldn't be able of become a regular first team player or substituting Jova already, but in Belgium he's doing good. Jova plays as second striker and Carcela plays on the left midfield. If Carcela can play as he does in Belgium he can be a danger for Arsenal, but the question is how will he play at a higher level and at such a night (world team against, a lot of fans,...) 1 thing is for sure, Sclessin will be packed and all fans will give a warm welcome to their squad!! :drums
Thanks for the information....:ok I still feel Standard have a chance....I'll probably take the Standard Liege (+1) in a double with.... Liverpool (-2.5AH) to beat Debrecen @ 1.685 (Bet365) Liverpool have a squad of players who will take care of this team at Anfeild tonight....We have seen Liverpool in the CL in recent seasons, Rafa knows how to play the team in these kind of games. If the team put out is strong I feel Liverpool can win 3-0 at least with the likes of Torres, Gerrard and Youssi all wanting to get on the score sheet. Will wait for team news but I think Ill be putting small stakes on: Standard Liege (+1) Liverpool(-2.5AH) DOUBLE @ 3.79 GL everyone

Surely they'd give him a pain killing injection and let him get on with it, with that kind of injury? I hate it when players are rated as doubtful. 9 times out of 10 they usually start. The news on Weir ranges from "major doubt" to "slightly doubtful" :lol
Yeah your right mate, I wouldn't let it get in the way of your bet as you seem confident on Stuttgart, I was merely replying to the guy who said he thought Weir could struggle tonight.

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Inter-Barca Both great teams, maybe Barca more favourite but they play on San Siro pitch! Most motivated man on the field probably should be Etoo and Ibrahimovic!! So every bet on anytime goalscorer on them is good!! Also should consider that both defense will be tight and against technique players like messi xavi etoo milito there may be some yellow cards for the defenders... As for the number of goals I agree with some previous comments saying that matches like this generally go UNDER 2,5! I suggest also 0-0 or 1-1 correct scores! Although I am an Inter fan I think it will be a harmless draw!

Inter-Barca Both great teams, maybe Barca more favourite but they play on San Siro pitch! Most motivated man on the field probably should be Etoo and Ibrahimovic!! So every bet on anytime goalscorer on them is good!! Also should consider that both defense will be tight and against technique players like messi xavi etoo milito there may be some yellow cards for the defenders... As for the number of goals I agree with some previous comments saying that matches like this generally go UNDER 2,5! I suggest also 0-0 or 1-1 correct scores! Although I am an Inter fan I think it will be a harmless draw!
I just don't see a low scoring game here. Barca can always score so the issue is whether or not Inter can too, and I have no doubts, especially when you take in to consideration their 4-0 mauling of Milan two games ago. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, as I'm gonna watch this, but I see goals.

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September I'm not too sure what to make of Stuttgart Rangers game. Earlier in the week I was thinking Stuttgart are good things but Rangers have to fancy their chances tonight. I think too much is being made about Stuttgart's poor start to the season, it is early days and Rangers haven't exactly set the fire alight in the SPL so far this season despite notching up 10pts from a possible 12. I think Smith will go out with his usual boring approach and he would probably take a 0-0 right now. Walter will want his side to keep it very tight to start with and go in at half time 0-0... I think 1.87 on Under 1 Goals AH in first half is magnificent value... bearing in mind if there is 1 goal in the first half we get our money back. Stuttgart have actually drawn their last two games 0-0 at home and Rangers drew 0-0 away at Motherwell on Saturday. I think this will be a boring game but in the event of a few goals in the second half I will stick to Under 1 Goal (AH) in First Half at 1.87. :ok

Dynamo Kiev v Rubin Kazan - Dynamo Kiev (Lay) @ 2.24 Betfair (£617 to LAY) I think Rubin could be the surprise package of the CL this year and although they face a tough battle to get through with the group they have (Inter & Barca) this is a must pick up points for them, they're on top form domestically winning there last six games on the trot, 6 six points clear at the top. Russian sides such as Zenit have provided shocks before when entering Europe and I am happy to lay the home side here, they're plenty short enough. Inter Milan v Barcelona - Barcelona (Lay) @ 2.62 Betfair (£909 to LAY) I think this game could go either way so the option for me is to Lay Barca, no easy task to go to the San Siro and pick up three points, its funny because if somone asked me to pick a winner I'd probably say Barca by a goal however at 2.60 they don't offer much value, its a poor price, Mourinho will sure fire players up for this game, happy to have Inter/Draw on my side when laying at this price.
Both Prices have been coming down all day.. Laying Barca now @ 2.48 & Kiev @ 2.10.. I quite like the look of these two Lay opportunites however im keeping close eye on movement. Not good for backers but great for Layers

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September have taken a few punts for tonight firstly, Inter v Barca, 1st half under 1.5 goals. I feel that while both these teams are very capable of scoring, they will be gauging each other in the first half in an attempt to establish a rhythm. I could see 1 goal getting in, but not 2. Both teams will be a bit cautious in the first match of the champions league wherein they are both playing their toughest opponent in the group. No one will want to expose themselves too much at the back early on. secondly, I've taken a double: liverpool to win and lyon (draw no bet). Liverpool are by far the more talented side and playing at home should be a comfortable win. Crap odds there though so I've coupled it with a play on Lyon. Despite losing Benzema, Lyon have started the season pretty well and are playing at home. Fiorentina aren't a bad side so I've taken the draw no bet for a bit of safety here. best of luck with bets all :hope slim

Re: Uefa Champions League 15/16 September Olympiakos v AZ Alkmaar AWAY win , AH +0.25 at 2.12 ( BETFAIR) This is one of the biggest mistake , Olympiakos manager ever did... One day before the match with AZ Alkmaar , he decides to fire his coach , because of his incapability of getting "easy" wins against small teams , as he said. The players are asked to play with passion , and the new coach today seems to know and have studied really well,the way Alkmaar plays.... I believe that changing a coach . one day before a critical match ( the easiest 3 points olympiakos could get), can mess up eve more a messed up team ... So .. Olympiakos v AZ Alkmaar AWAY win , AH +0.25 at 2.12 ( BETFAIR) And here's is the news http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/September/15/olympiakos-fire-coach-ketsbaia/

my bet for tonights Cl game is Torres to score 2 or more goals @ 9/2 with hills. 5pts (i put £60 on it returns £330) reason for this bet, i think liverpool will score a shed load tonight and with torres as the main striker im certain he will score at least two. jump on this bet, hills have overpriced this i think :clap
Quite liking this myself, want to have a bet for some interest tonight while grinding poker. Liverpool obviously to short to back so def liking this bet. Along with over 3.5 goals.