** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug

3.55 Ripon - >William Hill Great St Wilfrid Heritage Handicap An outstanding handicap for the track and some of the best sprint handicappers around head up to North Yorkshire for this valuable heritage event. Markab heads the market at 5/1 and has been in great heart of late, building upon a highly respectable fourth in the Wokingham with a 4th in the Stewards Cup when last seen. Henry Candy's charge warrants the utmost respect and running off a 1 lb higher mark looks sure to play a role, but with plenty of pace on that side of the field I am passing over at 5/1. Tamagin and Striking Spirit and honest enough types and you know what to expect from them. They are likely to bowl out of stalls 1 and 2 and attempt to dictate matters, and that could set this up nicely for Jimmy Styles, who is likely to sit off the pace and attempt to win the race late in the day. The Inchinor gelding is becoming a bit of an enigmatic character and disappointed at Royal Ascot when 12/26 off a mark of 102. However, he fared much better at Windsor next time out (a race in which the winner had the run of the race) and I felt he had a chance in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood, latest. However, conditions were appalling that day, a late deluge of rain left the turf soft and visibility was poor due to the fog and I'm not quite sure what went wrong for him that day. The upshot of that effort (22/26) was that the handicapper has cut his rating 2 lbs and running off 100 tomorrow he is only 4 lbs higher than when successful at Newmarket in May. The cheekpieces that were fitted last time out have been ditched and with Phillip Robinson presumably engaged elsewhere, Dane O'Neill takes the reins. However, he is a more than able deputy and with the faster ground likely to be right up his street, this one could go well at a price. EW

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 3.10 Newbury Evasive - back Won a group three at this course earlier in the second and was a highly respectable fourth in the St James Palace Stakes at Ascot last time out. Lord Shanakill infront has won since, and Master Craftsman and Delegator who were the first two home are very classy types, so that fourth looks very strong form.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 13.30 Newbury - Love And Devotion. There are a few interesting newcomers in this one but none of them stand out and of the two form horses I take Love And Devotion to win this. The Godolphin horse shaped well on debut despite running green, she stayed on fairly well when not been given a hard time of it to finish 5th behind Seeking Dubai at Windsor. The main danger in this race also ran in the Windsor race and came 7th and didn't show as much promise as the selection. The main danger is Pin Cushion who will come on for the run but I take Love And Devotion to progress more and win this one.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 3.55 RIPON~BEAVER PATROL O.5 E/W A much better horse than current form figures suggest. Has two way of running but if in the mood is decent and off current mark is a danger to all. Readily available at 33's which IMO is way overpriced.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug Sorry, not got much time as off to see Sheff Wed away at Peterboro in literally 5 mins, but: 1:30 @ Newmarket - Love and Devotion - 1pt win Ran green last time out but kept on at the end and although was never getting to the leaders, looked like the penny had dropped. Expecting a more experienced run after that a few weeks ago, and Dettori takes the ride again today. 2nd fav was in the same race and finished a further 2 places back, could well improve for the run but didn't look to me like it wanted to know so maybe one to look at in the future if this selection wins this race.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 445 Bangor: Dead Or Alive Interesting to see this one switch back to fences after winning his maiden hurdle last time, he won that in good style from a progressive sort so is terrific shape. He has won his last 3 completed runs over the bigger obstacles and has been put up 9lbs since his last win and I reckon he has been sent hurdling to protect his handicap mark for a race such as this by the shrewd stable of Tim Vaughan. 6/1 available in places is a very good value bet but i fear it wont be anything like that come race time.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug Newbury 15:10 - Tariq 1pt win I worte this two runs ago: 'Think this horse is more than capable of running well here and for me is a cracking bet at 25/1, he was well beaten in the Sussex Stakes LTO but he has some solid form in the bag, 3rd in this race last year and did not get the clearest of runs, he won 3 races in a row back in the summer of '07 before heading to a hot race at Longchamp when 5th of 13, has twice ran on soft ground, firstly on debut at Newmarket when winning and the other being that race at Longchamp so he should handle the ground alright, has never won over the 8f trip but we know the trip is fine as he was 3rd in this race last year as mentioned, Peter Chapple-Hyam's stable may just be hitting some form with two winners in last two days, the ever reliable Jamie Spencer is on board and I fancy Tariq to run a big race.' He finished 6th and never looked like winning but was not a terrible run, went to Haydock NTO back over 7f and again finished half way down the field, back on good/firm ground today and over 7f, I think he has more in him than he is showing so will have a go again.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 355 Ripon – Advanced - each way please

Is now running off a winnable mark of 97 – his last winnng mark was 96 and was competitive off marks in the 100’s last season. Ran well last time when 4th of 15 at Newmarket over 7f only beaten 1 ¾ lengths. The drop to 6f will suit – its his best distance and the trip over which he has gained all his wins. Has a nice high draw and should go well.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 2.35 Newbury - Kite Wood - win Only three year old in the field and he's building towards a crack at the St Leger. Ran a good seasonal debut in the Dante before disppointing in the Derby. He's a big long striding galloper and Epsom wouldn't have suited him Won a group 3 over todays trip at Newmarket last time. Godolphin have hit their strides for the season and Frankie rides this one instead of the higher rated Age of Reason

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug Newbury 14.35 Dansant gets the nod in this for me as the best of the rest as i'm willing to oppose the front two Kite Wood and Mourilyan, although undoubtedly class animals i dont believe Kite Wood has lived up to his 2yo form and was allowed an easy lead LTO this will be a harder test and Mourilyan has problems geting his head in front in these pattern contests and could be dis-appointed again. The sel. however has done nothing wrong winning alot of good events mostly on the all-weather but if transfering that form to turf can be in with a shout here.:ok 1pt win

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug Bangor On Dee 3.35pm 1pt lay Oceana Gold A very good turnout of some nice horses, 4 stand with good form imv in this race and Oceana Gold will find this a bit much today. Horse has a steady form line and might be in the mix at the end but will not win the race today as for me there is to much comp in this race today. Goodluck Whatever You Bet Today

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 2.35 Newbury - Fiulin One of my horses to watch this season and one that I will keep backing till he wins. Fiulin comes back from some dissapointing performances although he was against some very tough oppenents (Geordieland, Ask etc..). He has the stamina and see's him drop back to 1m5f which can compliment that stamina. Has one of my favourite jockeys on him (Richard Hughes) and the 22/1 looks great as we all know that Hughes can pop up with big price winners 0.5pt e/w :hope

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 3.55 Ripon The big race here today, the Great St Wilfrid, is a Class 2 heritage handicap run over the straight 6f, with 19 currently expected to face the starter. As always in these big field sprint handicaps, much has been made of the draw which, according to experts, is a bonus to be drawn high. Personally, I have my doubts primarily for 2 reasons: * Most renewals of this race have been run of softened ground, this is on good to firm * The pace is low Pace has to play an important part in this and below is where I think pace will come from: >>>>>>>> 1 >>>>>>>> 2 >>>>>> 3 > 4 >>>>>>> 5 NR 6 > 7 >>>> 8 >>>>> 9 >>>>>>>> 10 >> 11 > 12 >> 13 >>> 14 > 15 >> 16 >>>> 17 >>>> 18 > 19 >>>>>> 20 Looking at this, I'll be looking for a horse that likes to sit midfield and come from off a strong pace, drawn low-middle. To that end, I'm on: Jimmy Styles (20/1 Skybet) - With 4 or 5 that can make the pace drawn low, I really feel that it's an advantage to be drawn in and around them, and be able to come from behind. I think this horse fits the bill and has a real chance of coming back to form with a bang. Hails from a really good yard and is one of the trainers 3 in the field. Started this term in super form taking a nice handicap at HQ off 96. Was then installed as ante-post fav for the Wokingham but didn't have the best of the draw and, ultimately, finished midfield. Then went to Windsor where again it was fav but was badly hampered 1f out and lost all chance. Had unsuitable ground for the Stewards Cup so I'm safely ignoring that run. Came into the summer with a top reputation and today might just be the day it restores that billing. Still lightly raced and has a very good strike rate so I think the price on offer with conditions hugely in its favour is an insult. Ground on the fast side of good, drawn with the pace and eased 2lb in mark all add to the thought that this horse will go well today. EW

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 3.25 Newmarket Bonnie Charlie 0.5pts E/W He has very good form as a 2 year old, never being out of the places in 5 and 6 furlong races ( won twice). His two runs this season have been over 7F and 1M and he didn't seem to appreciate this step up in trip. Reasonably drawn and back to 6F today could see him to better effect. R Hannon is in good form lately having 6 wins / 4 places from his last 20 runners. His form as a 2YO was with some cut in the ground, so today's going could be a concern, so I'll go E/W.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 3.55 Ripon 'Markab' Really fancied this last time out, ran a great race, unfortunately raced alone for most of it and hung badly at the death, racing in company from this draw and hopefully stays straight. In good form, seemingly well handicapped, big run coming up. I'd be worried about Ruth Carr's horse as that stable is going really well, but in a very open race, it's Henry Candy's runner for me.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 3.55 Ripon - FULLANDBY (6f, Cl2, G/F) 7th in this race last year off OR 104 (today off 95), Tamagin is off 107 today yet was 3rd in this last year off 97, so there is a 19lb turnaround between those 2 horses today. Doesnt race on this type of ground very often however as the trainer has left it in, i respect his opinion. The trainer is having a mare of a season with 0 winners to date. This is probably his best horse & the prize of around £40k is well worth a shot at. Needs to have a lot of luck in running to come from off the pace but has done so at beverley on a number of occasions where it normally puts in its best. Has run well here also 2nd & 7th in this race in recent years. need a big win so its Super nap time :ok but will cover EW

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug 4:45 Bangor Sick of my flat entries into this competition, always choose the wrong ones so I'm going to Bangor where Slovakian bred horse Leopold to do well today. It's 3m form is very consistent, a 2nd at Fakenham in a similar race (albeit had a smaller field than today). This one is a real hold-up horse so as long as it doesn't get detached I'm hopeful for a decent performance. Is decent in the weights now and I think this one has definite place claims at 20/1 at some places. 0.5pt EW

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug INCENDO 5.10 Newmarket. 0.5 points each way. Drops a pound in the weights for this race, and that comes off the back of a decent effort last time. The trip and ground isn't a worry and he's open to finding a bit more improvement, so all in all would look to have a decent each way chance.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug DRAGON SLAYER 5.10 Newmarket. 0.5 points each way. Has a little bit to prove for me today, but I think the fact he should get the race run to suit will see him run to ability. If that's the case then Darryll Holland should be more than capable of seeing him go close.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug apotheosis 510 newm. 0.5 pts ew. has been dropped 1lb from last two runs and that gives him every chance if finding his best form. no trip and ground concerns and should be able to run at own pace during the race, so every chance.

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 15th Aug BH, I have just spoken to BTP and he's asked if i could post this for him....

7.30 Ling - Hypnotic Hypnotic is still on a mark within his capabilities, 16 go to post but plenty of those are dead wood so hopeful of a good run. Holland should give him a good prominent ride win