Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship Question for the darts fans, how do you think the BDO compares to the PDC for quality of darts and how do the players that move to the PDC usually get on? I watched the game last night between that Max guy and the polish fella and some of the scores with 3 darts were around 21,26,23 etc. I just can't see how they would ever cope against players like Taylor and Van Barneveld when they are hitting 106 averages. I thought Whitlock looked quite handy though and seemed to know where the treble 20 was, I'm going to back him outright at 7's with Paddy Power.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship more money, more exposure and a better quality of darts at PDC level although admittedly Kirk Shepherd seems to be thinking of going back to the BDO. Whitlock is one who I think could be up there if he started competing regularly against Power/Barney etc.

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship

Question for the darts fans' date=' how do you think the BDO compares to the PDC for quality of darts and how do the players that move to the PDC usually get on? I watched the game last night between that Max guy and the polish fella and some of the scores with 3 darts were around 21,26,23 etc. I just can't see how they would ever cope against players like Taylor and Van Barneveld when they are hitting 106 averages. I thought Whitlock looked quite handy though and seemed to know where the treble 20 was, I'm going to back him outright at 7's with Paddy Power.[/quote'] depends what you want from a fans point of view, both have drama, sky's coverage is hyped up. I've never been to the pDC but the atmosphere at Lakeside is brilliant to say the least. Always have a great night down there. Every year i have been i have seen the eventual winner. I sat one year on the table by the players entrance & Fordham's forearms were bigger than my thighs!! The quality in the pDC has always been better in terms of averages etc I prefer the BDO though!

Question for the darts fans' date=' how do you think the BDO compares to the PDC for quality of darts and how do the players that move to the PDC usually get on? I watched the game last night between that Max guy and the polish fella and some of the scores with 3 darts were around 21,26,23 etc. I just can't see how they would ever cope against players like Taylor and Van Barneveld when they are hitting 106 averages. I thought Whitlock looked quite handy though and seemed to know where the treble 20 was, I'm going to back him outright at 7's with Paddy Power.[/quote'] Well guys like Max and the polish guy wouldnt have a chance of coping with Barney/Taylor, lets face it, very few, if hardly any would and its not as if they actually that good. However in terms of the BDO this year it is a tournament lacking in depth. There are some very good players in it: Anderson, Waites, Webster, Adams, Whitlock and probabaly a tier below that of O'Shea, Fitton, Montgomery, Atkins who are good dart players but after that there is a real lack of depth. Sure some others on their day can throw well, Hankey for sure though not probably at his best anymore which is a shame, Walton similar comments apply and at times Robson, Woods. However that is barely 16 players and there are 32 in this event, so imo they are really stuggling to hold their own and make a tournament. It could be even worse next year considering Anderson, Whitlcok, Webster, Waites, Fitton and O'Shea could all leave. It will be Wolfie on his own at this rate. There are just so many players in this event playing really bad darts, struggling to average 80 which is poor and not W/C standard and at times it is even worse, guys averaging 60. As for how the likes of Anderson, Webster, Waites etc would get on in the PDC I predict they would do well, afterall they are quality players and I can only see playing more and more TV events helping their game. On their day they could beat Barney and Taylor, indeed have done so before in some cases. In general though I consider Taylor and Barney at their best ahead of everyone else imo. However there is no reason why the rest cant be top 10 if not better after a year or two. Anderson at his best is the third best in the world imo. Looking at someone like King who went over 2 years ago he is now no.6 in the world and Anderson is just as good as him.

Question for the darts fans' date=' how do you think the BDO compares to the PDC for quality of darts and how do the players that move to the PDC usually get on? I watched the game last night between that Max guy and the polish fella and some of the scores with 3 darts were around 21,26,23 etc. I just can't see how they would ever cope against players like Taylor and Van Barneveld when they are hitting 106 averages. I thought Whitlock looked quite handy though and seemed to know where the treble 20 was, I'm going to back him outright at 7's with Paddy Power.[/quote'] The BDO is a very very poor next to the PDC, its as simple as that.

depends what you want from a fans point of view, both have drama, sky's coverage is hyped up. I've never been to the pDC but the atmosphere at Lakeside is brilliant to say the least. Always have a great night down there. Every year i have been i have seen the eventual winner. I sat one year on the table by the players entrance & Fordham's forearms were bigger than my thighs!! The quality in the pDC has always been better in terms of averages etc I prefer the BDO though!
Sorry Bowles but disagree with you here. I have been to both the PDC and the BDO and yes there is some kind of atmosphere at the BDO but it is a completely different kind of atmosphere and nothing like the PDC. Lets face it, in comparison its like a funeral in comparison to the PDC and that does have certain advantages as it means there is proper order (something there isnt in the PDC far too often) but sometimes it means there is something lacking. In truth I dont care as long as the darts is good but generally the BDO of late due to this complete lack of depth, isnt even producing the good darts, certainly in these weak first round games. We will have to wait until the later stages until we see some proper games. Games like Sims/Hughes (could have picked out half the games so far) have just very ordinary darts, in fact poor darts and played in a funeral setting with a cheap production which does not help. The PDC worlds is something completely different in comparison.

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship Thanks for all the replies guys. :ok Do they ever play each other, such as top 10 from BDO versus top 10 from PDC? The standard of play just seems much better from what I've seen of the PDC, even the early rounds. I know comparing Max/Polish fella to Barney and Taylor is not fair but I think they'd struggle against the likes of Wade, King, Priestley too. From what I've seen I also prefer Sky's coverage to the BBC.

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship Yeah and Sky have the legend that is Sid Wadell. He'd make tiddlywinks sound exciting, I love the fella. Next time you watch have a listen for how many references he makes to historical events etc and he's always spot on with the facts too.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :ok Do they ever play each other' date=' such as top 10 from BDO versus top 10 from PDC? The standard of play just seems much better from what I've seen of the PDC, even the early rounds. I know comparing Max/Polish fella to Barney and Taylor is not fair but I think they'd struggle against the likes of Wade, King, Priestley too. From what I've seen I also prefer Sky's coverage to the BBC.[/quote'] They play each other at times. The most current tournament going is the GSOD in Wolverhampton which is a PDC run event on ITV and mainly full of PDC players but with some BDO players (only 6 or so out of 32) in it although wolfie for some strange reason always declines the invitation. This year Taylor won it as he did last year but the top BDO guys have more than held their own, Anderson two semis, Webster reached a q/f as did Fitton and Whitlcok. They did have a mixed event two years back, the IDL and the WDT in Holland and Anderson from the BDO won them both. As I said after Taylor, Barney there isnt much between the top BDO 8 and PDC 8, its after that where the problems start. For example Max and the pole who you mentioned I think would do well to beat anyone in the PDC top 50 on a consistent basis imo, never mind King, Prietsley etc. Btw well done to Greatbatch in defeat there. A very brave performance in defeat and tbh he may have won with a different draw. All the best in his future recovery.

Yeah and Sky have the legend that is Sid Wadell. He'd make tiddlywinks sound exciting, I love the fella. Next time you watch have a listen for how many references he makes to historical events etc and he's always spot on with the facts too.
Im sorry but Im going to have to disagree again here (Im confrontataional today :lol) Waddell drives me mad. He has talked total rubbish for 30 years, loads of the top players dont like him and his commentary and totally love affair with Phil Taylor is boring now and very tiresome. His rubbish about stacking, understacking, hitting the lipstick, air shot here and basically Taylor does this, Taylor does that, even when he is not playing drives me mad. For a first timer it might be entertaining but after a while it really does grate. Gwynne is the best commentator Sky have, at least he knows something about darts. Mind you the BDO have Tony Green so maybe Sid's not all that bad afterall :lol

2 for me tomorrow. 3pts S.Waites to beat R.Smith 3-0 11/8 Coral Scott Waites is on fire at the minute. He's made the final of the last 3 televised BDO/WDF tournaments. One of those was the World Masters where he came so close to winning the event, eventually losing to Martin Adams in a deciding set. From what I've seen of Waites this year he's looking really good and the 19 year old Smith is in for a tough task here. I've had a look at the recent events on the circuit and I can't find any decent results for Smith and looking through his qualifying section I don't recognise the names of anyone he's beaten either. So far the qualifiers have been outclassed in this event with the exception of the Polish chap but I think Waites will be way too strong for the Kent player and will win this 3-0. 3pts A.Norris to beat S.West 7/4 Boylesports Alan Norris is a Swedish player who's done ok on the circuit recently. In the Zuiderduin Masters he made the quarter finals having came through a group which included Martin Adams, the Winmau champion the week before. He also went well in his home event the Swedish Open making the semi finals there. Steve West, like his brother Tony is never the most realiable and can be fantastic or pathetic. Norris is meant to be a consistent sort which should be what is needed to beat the erratic West. I don't think I could be backing Steve West at odds against, especially this short so I'll have a small bet on the Swede to take him out.
I will add another one. It's probably a bit immoral but we're here to make cash at the end of the day I guess. 10pts J.Walton to beat S.Greatbatch 1/2 VC Shaun Greatbatch is hoping to make his comeback on the Lakeside stage having been out since the British Open receiving treatment for bone marrow cancer. Apparently this treatment has made him 4 inches smaller and 2 stones lighter :eek. If that's true, and it's on the BDO website so I guess it is then I can't see how Greatbatch can compete here. John Walton is a solid campaigner and having been a champion here in the past he knows his way around this stage. I'm sure it will be tough for John Boy against a fellow England international who I expect will struggle but at the end of the day this is the world championship and he'll know he has a job to do. I wish Greatbatch all the best in his recovery but really and truly this should be buying money if such a thing exists and I'll reluctantly get involved and take the Yorkshireman in this one.
3 from 3, brilliant picks Kev and superb write ups to boot:clap:notworthy:notworthy That Norris fella played really well, what a price! All 3 came in quite easily:ok

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship Hankey Vs Woods Brian Woods had a decent competition last year, reached the semi's and is up against the count a former world champion, the problem is Hankey sometimes loses it under pressure if the darts aint going for him, and had made plenty of early exits from the championships because of this. Woods win @ 2.46:loon

3 from 3, brilliant picks Kev and superb write ups to boot:clap:notworthy:notworthy That Norris fella played really well, what a price! All 3 came in quite easily:ok
Agree, missed out on Norris but cashed in on the other two, thanks Kev:clap:clap:clap:clap

Im sorry but Im going to have to disagree again here (Im confrontataional today :lol) Waddell drives me mad. He has talked total rubbish for 30 years, loads of the top players dont like him and his commentary and totally love affair with Phil Taylor is boring now and very tiresome. His rubbish about stacking, understacking, hitting the lipstick, air shot here and basically Taylor does this, Taylor does that, even when he is not playing drives me mad. For a first timer it might be entertaining but after a while it really does grate. Gwynne is the best commentator Sky have, at least he knows something about darts. Mind you the BDO have Tony Green so maybe Sid's not all that bad afterall :lol
You see to me he makes darts watchable:lol

more money, more exposure and a better quality of darts at PDC level although admittedly Kirk Shepherd seems to be thinking of going back to the BDO. Whitlock is one who I think could be up there if he started competing regularly against Power/Barney etc.
:welcome to PL mate. Apparently that isn't true. Shepherd just said all that in the heat of the moment and the report wasn't accurate anyway. I think he's committed himself to another year on the PDC.
Yeah and Sky have the legend that is Sid Wadell. He'd make tiddlywinks sound exciting, I love the fella. Next time you watch have a listen for how many references he makes to historical events etc and he's always spot on with the facts too.
Real rarity but I'm with Woody here. I used to like the guy but now I can't stand him. Throws in the odd line which makes me laugh but he basically commentates of 3 words now. Stacking, understacking and lipstick. Then they stick Harrington next to him and he compliments him perfectly with set the shot up :wall:wall. Luckily 606 is on 5 live when the arrers is on tonight so there's something to listen to with the darts commentary switched off :lol. Just out of interest, are there any darts fans on here from Stoke and if so, do you actually call the treble 20 the lipstick?!
Agree' date=' missed out on Norris but cashed in on the other two, thanks Kev:clap:clap:clap:clap[/quote'] Hope you both made a bit of cash chaps. Just need a Bunting win for the perfect day but I'll happily take that afternoon :ok

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship I hate 100/1 shots :lol. I needed that clean sweep to cover the outrights and yesterday's wipeout. Going with 2 tomorrow. 3pts M.Adams vs D.Chisnall - Over 4.5 180's 11/10 Paddy Power This looks quite a tasty line really because both are deliberate players, although Chisnall is probably more deliberate than Wolfie but both will play at their own pace and Adams when he's on song is usually a pretty heavy scorer and can really ping the 180's when he gets going. I think this will be a closer match than the bookies suggest with us probably likely to get at least 4 sets and maybe 5. If we were to get 5 sets then I'd fancy Adams to threaten this line on his own but Chisnall is more than capable of nailing some big scores and it could be a match where the 180's line is 3-2 either way. However the match goes, at odds against I'll go with 5 or more 180's. 4pts M.Phillips (+1.5 sets) to beat R.Montgomery 5/6 Sportingbet I actually think Martin Phillips will win this match but am happy to play safe on the handicap at this price. Martin Phillips beat Shaun Greatbatch in the 1st round here last year and he can play a bit. He averaged 91.41 in that match which is a fair average at this standard. He made the quarter finals of the Zuiderduin Masters last month which was a decent enough effort. Montgomery has had a great year himself winning a couple of smaller events and finishing runner up to Gary Anderson in the televised International Grand Prix. He lost in the 1st round in his only previous appearance in this tournament though so this may not be the best hunting ground for him. Phillips was a quarter finalist here way back in 1992 but he's got plenty of experience and he's a steady player who won't be worried by anything. Word around the scene is he's playing well so I'll take him to win 2 sets here.

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship :clapeasiest money of the second round has to be webster to beat walton at 1/3 , not a great price but walton is poor,he likes a few 26's and 45's and hes the sort of player id like to take on with a heavy scoring webster. webster is better at hitting his outs than walton, it just all adds up to an easy win for webby ! :dude go go markie !

For anyone feeling a little guilty about winning money on Jon Walton against cancer sufferer Greatbatch: https://donate.cancerresearchuk.org/donate.asp?id=7
its a great cause Irish, & well publicised. A lot of us no doubt already give or raise money for the charity through other things. Don't understand why anyone would feel guilty though. If that was the case, the bookies should have not offered the bets in the 1st place. :ok

Re: Darts: 2009 BDO World Championship Better day yesterday with 2/2 however going to leave the action tonight and just watch my two outrights. Would have been tempted with some more selections especially on the over 180s on the Atkins/Ten Berge game but with hardly any bookies taking any interest I will leave it. I have to say its a bit of a disappointing show from the bookies in this event so far. We had the complete cock up with players in the wrong quarter and a general no show on some of the more traditional darts betting markets from far too many bookies. Hopefully second round onwards, with everyone having had a chance to see everyone play at least once, we will have more markets offered.