** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Darts: PDC World Championship

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship Only ever visit this site once a year at xmas, when the darts appears on sky and freezes me in front of the tele for days on end like a rabbit in headlights! I tend to bet on the outright results and am a few quid up so far this year. Like others was particularly dissapointed with mark dudbriges no show the other night. Finished up on today through betting on Holland to beat England at 4/9 on tonights three matches, nearly filled my trousers though with unexpected baxter wonder show against barney. My Early thoughts on these quarter final (to win the match) odds from paddy power are that I personally will be checking out the handicaps given to the second favourite in each of these matches, because I think these prices look too heavily weighted on the favourites as always I will be checking woody and kevshat's previews with interest

1st Jan 2009
19:15 Mervyn King v Barrie Bates
1 - 4
11 - 4
21:15 Phil Taylor v Co Stompe
1 - 16
13 - 2
2nd Jan 2009
19:15 James Wade v Paul Nicholson
8 - 15
11 - 8
21:15 Raymond van Barneveld v Jelle Klaasen
2 - 5
7 - 4

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship KING v BATES 5-1 @ 7/2 , this for me the one tie that should be the easiest to predict, Bates has overachieved to get this far, and is still nursing a painful foot this must be a factor in a game over this length, and bates has no experience of a 9 set game on stage, He overcame an under performing dudbrdige to get this far and if you had offered him this at the start he would have bitten your arn off. King has been consistently good this season and only bob Thorntons stupifying rise up the rankings has bettered the Kings achievements, already in top 10 in rankings victory here would see him leap to 6th and that coveted and deserved PL spot, this alone should see him with an incentive to beat the Welshman, though his scoring has been under par here, he still has too much for bates andf i'm taking a comprehensive win for merv. TAYLOR v STOMPE, 5-1 @11/4, this is the chance for Taylors revenge beaten just a few weeks ago by a possesed Stompe who avgd 106 in Germany, the Dutchman knows it's payback time i've never known the power to get beate same opponent two events in a row, and especially at the world championship, beating taylor usually results in the victor on the end of a mother and father of a hiding in the next meeting and thats what i expect here,while the scoeline might seem a bit optimistic Taylor will now want to send out a message as he usually does at the business end of tournaments. i'm going to post on the other two games later, i'm still not convinced on the outcomes.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I'm just going with one tonight. Now we're in 2009 I've abandoned my 10pts on everything staking policy and am going with a variable staking plan based on a 1-10 points system. I found in 2008 I was having 10pts on something I wasn't 100% on because that was the way I gambled but made a conscious decision towards the end of the year that I'm going to change that and base my bets on strength. I've never level staked in football and regularly show profits in it so I'm hoping a better staking system will yield better numbers. Anyway, onto the bet. 4pts B.Bates (+2) to score most 180's vs M.King 10/11 Stan James On his day, Mervyn King can hit a lot of 180's but he hasn't done that in this tournament yet. In fact neither have hit many in this tournament. In 6 matches between them the pair have only hit 13 180's so far which is a really low amount. In each round they've played so far this bet would have won every time as King hit 1 180 in his 1st round match, 2 in his 2nd round match and 3 180's in his last match. Bates has hit 1, 4 and 2 in his 3 matches. I've just got a feeling tonight that this could be a bit closer than many believe. In his only night match in this tournament so far Bates averaged 93.38 against Dudbridge which was a decent effort with Dudbridge's no show as often when your opponent isn't performing your game drops. Tournament stats so far suggest there won't be many 180's tonight so I'll take Bates with the 2 start.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship

I'm just going with one tonight. Now we're in 2009 I've abandoned my 10pts on everything staking policy and am going with a variable staking plan based on a 1-10 points system. I found in 2008 I was having 10pts on something I wasn't 100% on because that was the way I gambled but made a conscious decision towards the end of the year that I'm going to change that and base my bets on strength. I've never level staked in football and regularly show profits in it so I'm hoping a better staking system will yield better numbers.
Yeh kelly criterion all the way eh Kev GL :ok

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship NICHOLSON v WADE 5-3 @13/2. im sorry to keep banging on about this guy, but he is a player who deserves praise, i'm already quids in, i had him to win his qtr at 28/1 and it was an E/w bet,(AS I TIPPED ON THIS THREAD!) but i don't see why he can't win me full whack taking out wade. Wade for me is getting a bit to arrogaant and a beating would do him no harm, against Eccles he could have been in real trouble and the viper had opportunities to give him a grip up, against VDV he won comfortably but the dutchman was off colour and wade was let off again. Nicholson won't allow this to happen again he will keep the pressure on wade constantly and under that scrutiny for that long non stop i'm not so sure of Wades hunger, it won't be a walk over whoever wins but i feel 5-3 the aussie is real value. BARNEVELD v KLAASEN after scraping through against Baxter barney has another toughie here, his record against the 05 BDO champ is dire on tv. and ther is no doubt this is playing on his mind. i was going to take barney here however it is an interesting quirk that Klaasens practise partner for this event has been Nicholson and for those two to meet each other would be ironic and it is amazing how often these things occur so i will back Klaasen to win 5-3

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship Checkout-Lines of Victor Chandler: Barney/Klaasen over 121,5 @1,57 Nicholosn/ Wade over 129,5 @2 Both lines are undervalued for PDC-Quarters. All competitors are over 130,5 - that´s correct imho. Medium stakes for Nicholoson/Wade, full stakes for Barney/Klaasen. There are no values for win-market, but if Wade drunken done again, I will back Nicholson.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship Im glad I didn't bet on my early thoughts in the first two quarter finals. I was thinking of backing the 2nd favourites on the handicap. Instead I lumped on King to win outright against bates, and Taylor to win tournament outright. However as other people have indicated tonight should be more than interesting. Truth be told its probably a night to not have a bet, as I feel anything could happen in either match, but that wouldn't be much fun would it!! so........ the following look mildly inviting Handicap Betting (Ladbrokes) my potential picks in bold Barney -1.5 sets 8/11 v Klassen +1.5 sets EVS Wade -1.5 sets 5/6 v Nicholson + 1.5 sets 5/6 are both Klassen and Nicholson going to get to 4 sets? (at least)- still mulling it over, looking at the Nicholson bet as the pick of the 2, I have been really impressed with him, breath of fresh air. I heard him talking on Talksport this morning and he was saying that he was confident of winning tonight. We know that if we bet on just hearing people saying they will win in interviews we would all be broke!, however I just think he has shown more than Wade in this tournament and has been outstanding under extreme pressure (lewis & priestley matches) Nicholson the pick for me with a 1.5 set start

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I will be misssing the live action as I will be at WHL but should be some good darts. Nicholson 11/8 var 10 pts Originally there was some 13/8 about and since then Nicholson's price has come in sharply and I can understand why. Quite simply Nicholson has been by miles the better player of the two in the event. Wade may have only lost 2 sets but he has struggled in the main and produced nothing the darts he can do. Of course he can change that instantly and I distinctly remember his first Matchplay win when he was ordinary to start with before upping his game big style come the q/f onwards. However on current form it just doesnt appear to be there for Wade and an average of around the 90 mark confirms that, solid, but not the real Wade. Nicholson on the other hand has produced much better darts in this event and under pressure too against quality opponents. He seems a very composed figure on the oche and able to seemingly do 95+ averages set on set at will. If he can put a similar performance in tonight, he could well have too much for Wade especially if it is the Wade of the event so far. Barneveld -1.5 sets 17/20 boy 10 pts Barneveld came through an almighty scare in his last game. Baxter played a great match against and in the end should have taken Barney. Barneveld actually played good enough darts in that game (97+ average) it was just a few too many missed doubles especially early on in that game that stopped that being 100+ average. Klaasen certainly has found some form this event and has looked more like the player who won the BDO, indeed arguably a more consistent player than that one. However I feel against Barney he will still had to up his game just a bit more. Baxter managed to do it and that combined with Barney's early double problems made it a real game. Klaasen is capable but Im not sure if he can consistently live with Barney especially in the double department, Klaasen at times misses an awful lot of doubles and he did so again against Hamilton. Barney has a terrible record against Klaasen but he might well want to put that right tonight and for me if he wins this he might just do 5-3 at the worse.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I think I will side with Countingloses handicap double here. Nicholson, is pretty hot at the moment and Klassen certainly holds the Indian sign over Barney. I think Klassen will win, but I expect both matches to be tight, so the handicap is the call for me. Happy New Year to all on the lounge.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship 3 for me tonight. Not betting on the Nicholson vs Wade match as although I've written it off I have still got the Wade outright going for me. He was nearly a bet for me actually at 4/6 because in all the majors he's won he's upped his game bigtime from this point onwards and he can easily do so again. But I decided to just leave the outright. 4pts J.Wade vs P.Nicholson Highest Checkout Over 129.5 Evs VC This has the makings of a really good match and we've got 2 players who are very good at checking out. Wade is possibly the best in the game and checking out when he's on song and Nicholson has produced ton plus checkouts this week like they are going out of fashion. The thing I like the most about this bet is we've got the 130 on our side which is obviously a big advantage given that a 130 checkout needs only 1 treble. That said I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a really big checkout, a 161, 164, 167 or 170. I think we'll get at least 8 sets of darts and so we'll get plenty of chances and so it's over 129.5 for me at an attractive even money. 3pts J.Klaasen to beat R.Barneveld 7/4 Stan James I'm really looking forward to this match. It's a re-run of the 2006 BDO World final which Klaasen won 7-5. In that match and indeed tournament Klaasen's average never hit great heights and it hasn't this week but what he did well in 2006 and has done well this week is score consistently and then checking out almost everything from 80 and below. We know how Barney works. He'll score well but as sure as day follows night he'll miss doubles too and it's when he misses doubles that Klaasen has to step in, especially against the throw. Unlike a lot of others, Klaasen has the scoring power to hold this throw fairly comfortably which is important. Barney has played really well this week and his win over Baxter was magnificent but Klaasen will go up there tonight knowing he's beaten Barney on the big stage. He's playing well himself and at 7/4 I think he can take out the 2007 champion here. 3pts R.Barneveld vs J.Klaasen - Over 15.5 180's Evs Blue Square This match is a perfect match for 180's and plenty of them. Both are pretty powerful scorers and I would expect the match to go a fair distance. I think we're looking at 8 or 9 sets of darts so there's plenty of time for 180's. The match is on at a perfect time with it due to start at 9.00 and both players are fairly quick so there will be a good rhythm to the game which is all important. In a best of 9 set match you would expect Barney, who'll need to be at his best, to hit the double figures of 180's and Klaasen is more than capable of getting the rest. If it goes the full 9 sets Barney could even clatter this total on his own. I'm certain this is going to be a high quality match against probably the best 2 Dutch players in the game at the minute and I think we've every chance of getting 16 maximums. Good luck to all tonight and let's hope it's a cracking night of arrers :dude

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I got a free £10 bet from Paddy Power the other day but had to place it before 31/12/08 so I put it on Klaasen outright at 12-1. I think it could be Phil Taylors year but wanted to look for someone at better odds that might get to the final. I thought the game Barney was in the other night might have affected him and he was honest in saying he was lucky to qualify, he seemed like he really didn't feel like he deserved it as he watched Baxter miss two doubles for the match. Having read other peoples thoughts on here I decided to go for Klaasen so looking forward to that game later on. Good luck to the rest of you with bets on tonight. :ok

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship Going with one tomorrow. I'll probably regret not taking the Taylor handicap but I'll go with the Barney one. Maximum bet too. Having to take the Paddy Power handicap as that's all there is at the minute and I'm at Chester early doors tomorrow. 10pts R.Barneveld (-2.5 sets) to beat J.Wade 8/11 Paddy Power There's something wrong with James Wade at the minute. He looks a pale shadow of the guy who won 3 major titles over the last 18 months. There was a rumour going round he's been hitting the sauce but I didn't really believe that too much because other than Tony Eccles I don't know too many teetotal darts players. But watching him tonight, which was the 1st time I've really watched him in this tournament because his matches have been crap, he looked a bit drunk. Some of his actions in between sets suggested he wasn't all there and some of his darts were scarily far away from their targets. The point is he isn't playing well. He's yet to average 91 in this tournament and struggled to average 80 against Nicholson. Barney is playing well. He looks like the Barney who won the world title in 2007. He was quite superb against Klaasen and while I don't expect him to be that good here (he may never play that well again) an average around the 100 mark will surely be good enough to see Wade off comfortably. Barney averaged 106.68 against Klaasen to Wade's 81.75 vs Nicholson and even though we can expect Wade to improve and Barney to be a bit worse than last night there's no way Wade can make up a 25pt difference. Barney will have to drop his game down to about 94/95 and that doesn't look like happening. Barney looks determined and I think he'll make Sunday's final for the loss of no more than 3 sets.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship

The difference in Barney's reaction when he hit the 9 darter to when Wade hit one at the GSoD was amazing :lol. 15 180's :wall:wall
Planet Darts have it down at 16:unsure Thats the first match i've seen of this years tourney and what a one to watch. Crappy internet and Sky problems means i ain't been able to get online and have a bet or a tip.So i'm just gonna sit back and watch what looks to be like a cracking end to this tourny.:ok

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I count losses and chase them! Im going to stick to football betting when this tournament ends Im even slightly nervous about my Taylor win tournament outright bet after the barney wonder show last night. My first thoughts on tonight was to look at handicaps for 2nd favourites again, thinkng that Wade has to improve and will surely get 3 sets tonight...............but no going with obvious fav double tonight at 1.22 betting with my head and not anything else taylor/ barney final bring it on

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship Barneveld -3.5 sets 11/10 lad 10 pts There is a safer option with 2.5 sets but going for the riskier option here (6-3 to Barney it is then :lol) I only saw the end of the Barney match last match but the form he showed in just the last 3 sets of that game was top quality. The average of 106 in itself tells a story, as does the nine darter and the 161 finish to win the game. Contrast that with the Wade game. I didnt see it live, thankfully, but watching the replay just now it looked a horrible game. Wade is very fortunate to be here and to average just 81 in the q/f of the worlds is poor, especially from the world no.3 who at his best would do 100+ averages. Its not as if he has been playing much better before this either with a 'mere' 91 average his best and for him, that is not the real Wade. I keep saying there is always the danger he can raise his game but it is not there for him atm and it doesnt look like its going to come just like that either. Barney probably will not be as good as he was last night but it might be good enough anyway and for me Barney should win this with ease, 6-2 at the worse for me. Wouldnt rule out a 6-0 job either.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I think Barnie will have a easy job today, Wade might take a set here, but Barnine has been just amazing, the way he put off Klassen is simply pure class. He probably will trash Wade 6-0 or 6-1 IMO :ok Wade average is real low, actually I even doubt man takes a set here, of course Wade will throw first in some sets, but to bet against Barnie you have to be a complete fool and idiot... It is like burning your own money... :rollin

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship Can;t believe how many people are just writing off James Wade tonight :eek This guy has prodiced some stunning performances in the past and he wont play as bad as he did last night and Barney cant be as good as he was last night. Think this match will be closer than people think.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship I said in my writeup that to compete here Wade had to stick 20pts onto his average which I didn't think was possible given that he hadn't averaged 91 so far but fair play to him he's done it. If only he'd shown this form earlier, I wouldn't have kept on taking my outright pick on :lol.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship This is a complete turn around from Wade. I think its fair to say he has got the balance right tonight :beerI couldnt have really seen it myself before hand and thats not just judged on one match. Even earlier in the tournament he hadnt been that impressive, a solid 90 average but nothing more and as he has shown tonight thats some way below his best. Even before that I had some doubts to his current form with recent early exits at the Grand Prix, GSOD and European Darts event. Still he has well and truly turned his form around todaya nd its making for a great match, I cant believe how many 180s they have hit so far.

Re: Darts: PDC World Championship never back my predictions, because I am prone to change my mind at last minute tonight I ended up backing wade with a 3.5 set start, then in running have swapped over to barney- double winner I hope now- to bet or not to bet on taylor/ king is the question I have taylor outright, for the sake of having a bit more interest I may go king to get 2 sets on the handicap...mmmmm